DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Ulukai5
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by Ulukai5 »

2EyeGuy wrote:Unfortunately, it seems that I'm not likely to get a version working anytime soon. FFMPEG was written by people like you, so trying to get it working on Windows in Visual Studio is an absolute nightmare. I tried prebuilt DLLs, but they crash as soon as I call any function. I tried different calling conventions, generating my own lib files, using LoadLibrary and GetProcAddress, but FFMPEG won't allow any of its functions to be called.

On the other hand, getting it to work on Linux should be a piece of cake. I don't have Linux installed though, so I can't get that working myself.

I think I'll try getting it to play the RoQ video files from the original Doom 3 first, instead.

Is RBDOOM-3-BFG just for Linux, or for Windows too? I could never work that out. Most of the forks seem to be for other platforms, rather than adding features or fixing bugs.

Features in our version of Doom 3 BFG that may not (I haven't checked though) be in RBDOOM-3-BFG, are:
* Oculus Rift support
* Hillcrest tracker DIY Rift support
* VR920 partial support
* Looking around in cutscenes (even with the mouse)
* pm_showBody to show your body in first person
* Autodetect hardware and use different config files
* Config file support (previously it overwrote your settings with settings from the binary file)
* German, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, etc. support
* Can set vertical mouse or gamepad sensitivity all the way down to zero
* TGA and JPEG file support for images
* Might now run on some older graphics hardware or older OpenGL drivers
* Carmack Reverse is back
* Uncensored Doom 1 and especially Doom 2, Med packs, Beserk packs, and Secret level walls (but not SS yet, sorry)
* Extra secret Doom 2 level, Map 33: Betray, that is (accidentally?) included in Doom 3 BFG now works perfectly
I'm also working on VRPN support, getting the cinematics working, adding Doom 64 and possibly Doom RPG and Doom 2 RPG, and getting Doom 1 and Doom 2 to render properly in OpenGL. But they are taking a long time.

I don't know what features are in RBDOOM-3-BFG that aren't in our version, that we could borrow. Does anyone know?
That's an impressive list of cool features! But I'm very happy already if I can play Doom 3 BFG natively on Linux, that is big news for us already ;)

You can find details about RBDOOM-3-BFG's enhancements on https://github.com/RobertBeckebans/RBDOOM-3-BFG together with instructions on how to compile it on Windows. It even is compatible with Visual C++ 2010 Express Edition.

Maybe there are other libraries such as libav or something that would work better than ffmpeg on Windows? If you have the code right, but only have troubles with the ffmpeg commands, would you mind putting your work on the RBDOOM-3-BFG forum so that others can maybe finish it at least for Linux?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Really nice work on this guys!

Sorry if this has been covered, is there a way to get independent aim and headtracking?

Its really not optimal to aim with head :D

Also I would like to look one direction and walk antoher for better immersion and control

Anyway, great progress sofar!
przecinek
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by przecinek »

Sweet, great to see more updates coming 2EyeGuy :D
Qoheleth
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Qoheleth »

Head tracking is not working for me. Is there a console command to activate?
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Qoheleth wrote:Head tracking is not working for me. Is there a console command to activate?
No, I don't think so.
It should just work.
What are you trying to use for head tracking? An Oculus Rift?
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

2EyeGuy wrote:[What are you trying to use for head tracking? An Oculus Rift?
I should have my Rift very soon, is the Rifts tracker supported ?
IGameArt
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by IGameArt »

I can confirm that the rift's tracker is definitely supported.

However with the latest update i'm having issues with playing the game full screened, everything is doubled and hard to focus on. When i play in windowed mode its considerably better but I can clearly see the window borders
RABID
Cross Eyed!

Post by RABID »

Qoheleth wrote:Head tracking is not working for me. Is there a console command to activate?
Make sure you launch the game from the new .exe included with the mod...I made the same mistake
RABID
Cross Eyed!

Post by RABID »

Every time I run the game i have to to enter stereoRender_convergence 0. It doesn't save that setting.
KingK76
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by KingK76 »

Awesome job on this! I have one question though. I feel that my horizontal FOV is cut down because of how the screen is displayed. Not the in game FOV, the actual shape of the screen that is outputted to the Rift. Most games and demos I have played so far have the screen touching the side borders of my monitor and inside the Rift. When I am looking forward it is as if I have blinders on but when I look to the sides it seems fine (but most of the time when you game you're looking forward). I don't notice this in anything else I've tried that uses the whole horizontal space of the screen. It would be perfect if this effect was gone. Is there a way to have the screen displayed out to the sides of the display? Sorry to be nit-picky but this mod is my favorite experience so far with my Rift (I just received delivery on May 31). Great job 2eyes!
Last edited by KingK76 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

Try:

stereoRender_warpTargetFraction 0.9

in the console and increase or decrease it until you cant see the edges.
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

Actually don't do this, as it also offsets the middle of each picture and you start to see double.
Tested this with 0.9.

Is there a way arround this?
KingK76
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by KingK76 »

Valez wrote:Actually don't do this, as it also offsets the middle of each picture and you start to see double.
Tested this with 0.9.

Is there a way arround this?
It would be nice if there were because if the screen was displayed to the edges of the screen the FOV would be much better. I think this comes down to how some people can see more of the screen then others. I have noticed Geekmaster has had this same issue, where someone made a mock-up of what your eye can see in the Rift and he (GM) disputed the area the person had circled. Well now that I have my Rift I would have to agree with GM. It would be great if there were a way to render the entire horizontal area of the screen in DOOM 3 BFG!
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

The internet tells me Doom 3 BFG supports the 360 controller but mine doesn't work with this mod. Anyone else?

Edit: In fact, it works right at the start where you pick which game you wanna play but it doesn't after that.

Also, the image is pretty distorted to me on the sides, which is pretty trippy when you turn your head. The Unity demos aren't like that.
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

Strange. My XBox controller works and I have no distortion.
Are you sure you got the latest version?

And you can always try to mess with the settings:

http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/04/27/cyma ... pport-5327
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

I don't have a Rift yet, and I haven't worked out how to edit the shaders yet, since they are stored in binary files, so I can't really fix rendering or warping issues.

And please make sure you are actually running the right exe (the Release one works best) before submitting a bug report.

I just got the original Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil .RoQ videos working now (but haven't released it yet). :-) But still no luck with the Bink videos. And I still need to get the RoQ files working from the original pk4 (zip) files, because currently they need to be extracted (I think).

It's more fun playing with the videos working. :-) I'll release the new version when I get it working from the pk4 files.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

2EyeGuy wrote: It's more fun playing with the videos working. :-)
I have never played Doom3 or the BFG version and I now have my Rift Kit. I take it since I have waited this long, I should wait till the videos are up and running to really get the most out of the game.
I did read the thread correctly? The videos are a no go in the PC-Doom3-BFG-Rift version correct ? The word "Videos" also includes the Hand Held information device in the game right ?
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

Are there any plans to get this working with FreePIE? I have a DIY Rift which I am using a Sparkfun 9DOF with the Razor AHRS firmware. FreePIE works fine with this device so if (And most other head trackers) so if freepie could be supported in this then it would open it up to the whole DIY rift community. Vireio already suports freepie using the Shared Memory Tracker plugin and it works perfetly :)

Thanks, Matt.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Sure, I could do that. I'll have a go at implementing the Shared Memory Tracker plugin support.

Videos aren't used as much as you think in Doom 3. The cutscenes are all rendered in real time. Most animated screens and GUIs are rendered in real time too. The sound is always there even if the video is missing. Even most videos have other GUI layers rendered in real time on top.

The few places videos are used are:

The Bethesda/iD logo at the start
The rotating surface of the Mars planet in the background of the game selection menu and Doom 3 BFG main menu
The animated background of the Union Aerospace Corporation introduction speech/text when you start a new campaign
Two small clips of the Dark Star in the corners of the monitor in the first cutscene
Most of the video on the triangular pillar when you first enter Mars City
Every video disc in your PDA (most people just listen to the sound of these anyway)
A couple of screens in the command centre, including a rotating diagram of the decommissioned com facility
Some video links with Seargent Kelly in cutscenes
The security camera videos of hell breaking loose in the com facility
etc.

There are plenty of other bugs and issues at the moment though, so it might be worth waiting a bit more.
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

As of right now the only real issue thats keeping me from enjoying this is the fact that i cant set the pitch scale to 0 on my controller, meaning the whole world will go slanted on me if i acidentally press up or down on my controller. Other than that this is pretty cool.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

2EyeGuy wrote:Sure, I could do that. I'll have a go at implementing the Shared Memory Tracker plugin support.
We will include a generic tracker plugin in next release of FreePIE, I'm hoping we can release soon, we have some problems with Wiimote. But the Shared Memory Tracker plugin is an excellent option until the generic plugin is in place, it will have a C library that should be easy to use from most languages.
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

The effect of the Grab Gun in Ressurection of Evil is very, very off and causes instant eye bleeding.
It seems the vision in both eyes is warped differently.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Valez wrote:The effect of the Grab Gun in Ressurection of Evil is very, very off and causes instant eye bleeding.
It seems the vision in both eyes is warped differently.
Oops, sorry.
IGameArt wrote:As of right now the only real issue thats keeping me from enjoying this is the fact that i cant set the pitch scale to 0 on my controller, meaning the whole world will go slanted on me if i acidentally press up or down on my controller. Other than that this is pretty cool.
Why can't you set joystick pitch scale to 0? I thought I fixed that already.
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

EDIT: I decided to try out m_pitch 0, completely disabled pitch input from the mouse which made playing it considerably better. The only real gripe i have with it now are the cinematics. You've got is so when a cinematic changes camera angle partway through, the view angle adjusts to match the proper starting angle of the new shot, however you dont have this happened with the starting shot. I'll go into a cinematic with the camera facing to the left, and i have to try and look around to find my focal point, then when it cuts to a new shot it's fine.
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

Finally got my Rift and was able to try this out. Glad to report it works extremley well! Played it off and on for about an hour so far and am really enjoying it. The biggest issue right now though is that you can't view the PDA in the Rift. This should be number 1 on the priority list to fix IMO, right now you have to take off the Rift anytime you want to look at the PDA. And playing throgh the game if you want to read the emails and listen to the messages to get codes for the storage lockers and backstory you have to take off the Rift. Other than this, it plays very well with the different config settings found in this thread. I'd say the best full games to play on the Rift right now are Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Minecraft, and TF2.

I think an easy solution for the PDA would just be to enable headtracking to look around it when it's open.

Thanks again for this mod, and almost finishing what John Carmack started!
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

I can verify that setting joy_pitchSpeed to 0 has no effect. i can still pitch up and down using the joystick, quite disorienting. Aside from that this is still a great experience!
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

IGameArt wrote:I can verify that setting joy_pitchSpeed to 0 has no effect. i can still pitch up and down using the joystick, quite disorienting. Aside from that this is still a great experience!
What type of controller are you using? I use an Xbox360 controller and 'set joy_pitchSpeed 0' worked. Further you can unbind the up and down on your Xbox controller using cvars;
bind "JOY_STICK2_UP" ""
bind "JOY_STICK2_DOWN" ""

Here is a config I copied from somewhere (probably this thread? I don't remember where I got it) and also added in some of my own stuff like key bindings. To use it place the file in C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM 3 BFG\base. It's set to my IPD of 63.5 but that is easily changed, and has all the settings from Cymatic Bruce's rtvr article. I find it works really well!

To use, in game open the console and type exec vr.cfg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
przecinek
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by przecinek »

Ok Finally tried D O O M 3 :)

Had to tweak everything, cfg files didn't load up automatically but tracking, body awareness and everything else seems to be working great. Scale is there, 3d is there. Body awareness works fine too.

I too suffer from being able to see the edges of the screen (left, right and bottom). Takes away a lot from the immersion, you can see with your own eyes that what your looking at is nothing but a flat screen with a lot of 3d candy. Another thing is I suffer from VR sickness so it would be great if there was a setting to change to characters speed.

I can't seem to be able to set AA to x16, everytime I restart the game to get tje AA running - settings revert to default.

But still it's DOOM3, git it git it :roll:
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

przecinek wrote:Ok Finally tried D O O M 3 :)

Had to tweak everything, cfg files didn't load up automatically but tracking, body awareness and everything else seems to be working great. Scale is there, 3d is there. Body awareness works fine too.

I too suffer from being able to see the edges of the screen (left, right and bottom). Takes away a lot from the immersion, you can see with your own eyes that what your looking at is nothing but a flat screen with a lot of 3d candy. Another thing is I suffer from VR sickness so it would be great if there was a setting to change to characters speed.

I can't seem to be able to set AA to x16, everytime I restart the game to get tje AA running - settings revert to default.

But still it's DOOM3, git it git it :roll:
So you are saying that the 3D depth in the game is not scaled to 1:1 proportions?
Compare it with HL2 official -VR setting, where I feel that the depth is 1:1.
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

The depth is adjustable using the console or the configuration files. For me, the depth is 1:1.
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

Firstly I would like to send a huge thanks for all the hard work to get this working. I have it installed and working great at the moment. Visually and in terms of support looks one of the best Oculus game atm IMO.

Anyways I had a quick question about the feasibility of being able to scale the objectives screen down. I didn't know if this was easy within engine of whether there is just no way at all to alter this. At the moment you only see the center of the screen and cant actually read you objectives at all. You can obviously figure your way around (its quite a linear game), but just wondered if there was an easy command line argument or similar to get this smaller.

Thanks in advance!
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

baggyg wrote:Firstly I would like to send a huge thanks for all the hard work to get this working. I have it installed and working great at the moment. Visually and in terms of support looks one of the best Oculus game atm IMO.

Anyways I had a quick question about the feasibility of being able to scale the objectives screen down. I didn't know if this was easy within engine of whether there is just no way at all to alter this. At the moment you only see the center of the screen and cant actually read you objectives at all. You can obviously figure your way around (its quite a linear game), but just wondered if there was an easy command line argument or similar to get this smaller.

Thanks in advance!
Yea even just adding head tracking to the PDA when you pull it up would work well, and complete the game experience IMO. I'm doing a full play through and I'm having to skip all the locked doors and containers because I don't want to take off my Rift to activate the voice messages and read the emails.
beavermatic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by beavermatic »

Ok, after all these updates, and I think latest is V4 as of current (correct me if i'm wrong)

We need to make this part clear... if anyone could give a quick overview of what needs to be changed/configured per the latest version... specifically, what console commands do I still need to configure for the headset as of the current version? I'm seeing conflicting info on that, and the only point of reference is the now (possibly) outdated config guide from cymatic bruce.

Also, im not sure if it was enabled by default... but if you add "r_lightscale 1" to your startup line, or enable it in the console ingame, you get the original DOOM 3's lighting model and not Doom 3 BFG editions... looks a lot better with the original D3 engine lighting. I also recommend leaving vsync at smart, and turning on enemy shadows cast under flashlight, really creates the immersion.

I was using Cymatic Bruce's config setup, and after a bit of tweaking, no longer see edges and what not. Oh, and I've set the native resolution to 1920x1200... with will downsample to the rift... looks 100x better, and just gorgeous. Sharper textures, better view distance, less jaggies (in combination with 16x AA), clearer text, high-res textures.... try that if you have not already. Doesn't seem to affect anything but greatly improves ingame graphics.

Also, how do you turn up the 3d depth effect? near objects and standing close to objects looks pretty 3D... but things in the distance don't pop-out exactly as they should, and to really give a room a deepere sense of depth? any ideas?
przecinek
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by przecinek »

beavermatic wrote:Ok, after all these updates, and I think latest is V4 as of current (correct me if i'm wrong)

We need to make this part clear... if anyone could give a quick overview of what needs to be changed/configured per the latest version... specifically, what console commands do I still need to configure for the headset as of the current version? I'm seeing conflicting info on that, and the only point of reference is the now (possibly) outdated config guide from cymatic bruce.

Thanks for the tips, can you tell me what convars did you use to get ride of black borders on the sides? Hopefully someone will make a tutorial with all the convars, info how to adjust the depth etc. I also have problem with warping...when I move left to right railings seem to slightly sway and bend along with me... not only in the corners but just everywhere. Maybe I've messed with the settings too much :roll: ?
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

**EDIT: Recommended Settings for 'seta stereoRender_warpTargetFraction' are for 1920x1080 resolution only

//DOOM 3 BFG EDITION CONFIGURATION FILE FOR THE OCULUS RIFT VERSION Doom3BFG-VR4.zip

//*NOTE* A line with double forward slashes in front of it will be "commented out" and not executed in the console.

// Move the center of the individual eye viewports towards the center of the physical screen. This is needed for the 7" devkit screen.
//1920x1080 res and 'A' Cups set to 0.86
//1920x1080 res and 'C' Cups set to 0.80
//1920x1080 res and 'B' Cups set to somewhere in between 0.80 and 0.86
//Other resolution settings are unknown, play around with this setting until you have eliminated the black borders.
seta stereoRender_warpTargetFraction "0.86"

// Infinite convergence for HMDs
seta stereoRender_convergence "0"

// Set IPD in centimeters. So an IPD of 64mm set to 6.40.
seta stereoRender_interoccularcentimeters "6.40"

// Disable headbob effects to minimize motion sickness. I prefer to keep head bobbing on, if you disable it you feel like you're floating around.
//seta pm_bobroll "0"
//seta pm_bobpitch "0"
//seta pm_bobup "0"
//seta pm_runroll "0"
//seta pm_runpitch "0"
//seta pm_runbob "0"
//seta pm_walkbob "0"
//seta pm_crouchbob "0"

// Increase pitch range to allow upside down positions.
seta pm_maxviewpitch "989"
seta pm_minviewpitch "-989"

// Set your height in inches. This is important for sense of scale.
seta pm_normalviewheight "73.0"

// Disable screen effects. Sometimes screen effects only apply to one eye. When that happens, it's very uncomfortable.
seta g_skipvieweffects "1"
seta g_doublevision "0"
seta g_kickTime "0"

// Set the FOV. 99 seems to be the perfect FOV setting, anything higher and you get a looking through a fishbowl effect.
g_fov 99

// Disable looking up and down with mouse or controller.
set joy_pitchSpeed 0
set m_pitch 0

// Show your body. I keep this off, because it doesn't work quite so well yet.
pm_showBody 0

-------------------------------

Copy and paste this into a text file with the extension .cfg or download the attachment. Place this file in C:\Users\[USER NAME]\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM 3 BFG\base

When you start the game, bring down the console and type exec rift.cfg to exec all cvars at once.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drgroove101 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

The above configuration file works really well for me, and you can tweak the game so the experience in Doom3 BFG feels just as good as native HL2 !

Also I highly recommend playing standing up with an Xbox360 (or other controller) so you really get a good sense of scale and immersion. When you come eye to eye with an imp, there really is a sense of disconnect if you're sitting down, as you should be looking up at it. I found this really important for my sense of immersion anyway =P

I'm doing a full Let's Play of the game with this mod on youtube, and am having a blast! Thanks again to 2EyeGuy for all his hard work on this mod, and Jose for figuring out all the correct cvar settings.

I hope 2EyeGuy will continue to polish this mod, it seems like he's lost interest in it, hopefully he is only taking a break!
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

drgroove101 wrote: //Play around with this setting until you have eliminated the black borders.
seta stereoRender_warpTargetFraction "0.86"
Acutally, don't. If you set it too high you get some problems with convergence.
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

Valez wrote:Acutally, don't. If you set it too high you get some problems with convergence.
The recommended settings in the config file of 0.86 for A cups, and 0.80 for C cups worked fine for me, as in a full picture with no black borders. I did not test the B cups.
CHADALAK1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CHADALAK1 »

Sadly I'm having an issue with my resolution not changing at all. I even tried changing it in the D3BGFConfig.cgf file :/ . it refuses to change. any ideas what i could be missing?
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

Its a longshot, but any chance of hydra support with this for positional tracking? game is fantastic as is, just would be nice with a hydra hack :)

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”