DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
GameDev
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: DOOM 3 BFG VR fork on github

Post by GameDev »

Great game, played this for over half an hour yesterday with OR, had quite a few pop out scares too! Great job on getting this OR ready!

However, one thing i noticed is that everything up close looks good but anything in the distance just seems very pixelated and blurry. Is this the same for all you guys also? I dont mean stuff in the far distance, just stuff that is like a rooms width away from where im standing. When i start to turn my camera, then its even worse and motion blur also kicks in and makes the objects unseeable!

Now i have no idea what the reason for this is, so was just wondering if you guys also had it happening? If its only me then it could simply be my current system that im trying to play it on, im only using a onboard graphics card in my htpc. My new high end gaming system is supposed to arrive Friday!

Because of the issues with the objects unseeable/blurry, im getting motion sickness very quickly (probably just after 5mins) and it stayed with me last night until i went to bed! And usually i never get sickness of any kind.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Well, the main problem is that you're using the Oculus Rift dev kit, and it has a low resolution stretched over a large field of view.

I don't have an Oculus Rift for testing it on, so I can't really check for other issues.

One thing you could try is setting the FOV in the game a little lower (but not too much or it will feel weird).
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Because iD software kept saying Doom 3 BFG would support HMDs (plural), and because I don't have a Rift yet, I added support for VR920 head tracking to the code on github. Don't forget to set g_fov to 50 degrees or less, or it will feel weird (the real FOV is about 32).

Now to add a new stereoscopic 3D mode.
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

Just a heads up for anyone that's interested in buying the game, it's on sale for $9.99 with free shipping at Best Buy right now: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/DOOM+3+BFG+ ... &lp=5&cp=1
3DJB
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJB »

2EyeGuy wrote:Because iD software kept saying Doom 3 BFG would support HMDs (plural), and because I don't have a Rift yet, I added support for VR920 head tracking to the code on github. Don't forget to set g_fov to 50 degrees or less, or it will feel weird (the real FOV is about 32).

Shouldn't it be set to "g_fov 110" instead of 50? I thought an fov 110 is supposed to be best for the rift?
110 is the recommended setting for Cymatic Bruce:
http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/04/27/cyma ... pport-5327
but are you saying that 50 is better?
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

3DJB wrote:
2EyeGuy wrote:Because iD software kept saying Doom 3 BFG would support HMDs (plural), and because I don't have a Rift yet, I added support for VR920 head tracking to the code on github. Don't forget to set g_fov to 50 degrees or less, or it will feel weird (the real FOV is about 32).

Shouldn't it be set to "g_fov 110" instead of 50? I thought an fov 110 is supposed to be best for the rift?
110 is the recommended setting for Cymatic Bruce:
but are you saying that 50 is better?
He is talking about the Vuzix VR920, not the Rift.
WormSlayer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WormSlayer »

LeeN wrote:For me g_fov of 99 works the best, if I do anything wider than that the ground warps at the bottom of the screen when I turn my head. This might be because I am using the C lenses wearing glasses, so it might not be the same for everyone.
I had the same problem with the A lenses and no glasses, 99 looks spot-on though.
mellott124
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mellott124 »

Hi Guys,

Great work on the vr fork. I modded it to include support for the Pololu minIMU9 v2 head tracker.
Anyone else notice that the video update looks choppy in the Oculus rift with headtracking? I spent most of the day trying to debug my tracking and then I saw it running on my desktop monitor very smoothly. However on the Rift screen it appears choppy. Anyone else experience this?

Kevin
mellott124
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mellott124 »

Actually it is the Rift. Weird update issues with the Rift. I've used it with the Sony HMZ-T1 and the minIMU9 v2 tracker and it looks beautiful.
Something happen with the tracker on my Oculus Rift so they're sending me a replacement. Maybe that will fix the video too.

Kevin
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

OK, I added Icuiti/Vuzix VR920 ("freezeframe") stereoscopic 3D support to the code on GitHub. It isn't working perfectly, but it sort-of works.
plagiarize
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by plagiarize »

I just wanted to thank you guys for your work and your tips on performing the appropriate settings. of all the attempts to add VR to existing titles, this is by far the best and it makes up for losing the official support (or at least for not having it yet) immensely.
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

I'll chime in on thanks as well.

Thank you to tmek for creating the libfreespace/hillcrest integration for the DIY rifts, and for starting the github repo. And thank you to 2EyeGuy for adding the Rift head-tracking without even owning an actual Rift. Also thank you to Cymatic for creating that really good video user-guide-review for this mod. And of course thank you to anyone else who's contributed that I'm unaware of.

If anyone wants to contribute to this project, but you're not a developer, a good way to do so would be by creating blog posts, tweets, and videos, and sharing it "out in the wild."

There is value in generating awareness of this mod, and I do feel like this mod is still relatively unknown.

Share this mod with everyone (who can tolerate the content of Doom 3)! 8-)
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

And thanks Jose for working out all the settings. And thanks to John Carmack for doing the initial work on adding 3D, warping, laser sight, etc.

BTW, someone reported this only works on the English version, and other languages don't have any text or speech. I'll have to try to fix that.
ShoNuff
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ShoNuff »

I own Doom 3 and Doom 3 Resurrection on Steam -- is this mod incompatible with non-BFG editions? Don't want to have to buy this again :(
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

It is only compatible with Doom3 BFG edition unfortunately. The other versions of doom do not include the stereo3d rendering and wrapping I believe
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

ShoNuff wrote:I own Doom 3 and Doom 3 Resurrection on Steam -- is this mod incompatible with non-BFG editions? Don't want to have to buy this again :(
Yes, it is currently incompatible with the data files from the original Doom 3 and Doom 3 Resurrection. Sorry. Unfortunately, iD software changed a lot of the internals, even though they didn't really improve anything. It uses completely different file formats.

Maybe I should add Rift support to the original Doom 3.
Nyrad2k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nyrad2k »

Did everything like it said on the RoadtoVR Website and everything works flawlessly except the Head Tracking. It's not my Unit because in every other Demo it works (just played HL2). Did i miss something? Warping and Controls are working good.
Nickman1200
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nickman1200 »

Any chance for a beta build with VR920 support built in ?
Would give me a chance to try my VR920 thats been in a box since i bought them :shock:
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

OK, here's my latest version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101 ... FG-VR2.zip

You can now look down and see your body. It's not perfect, but it mostly works. It uses the world models rather than the view models, so unfortunately the guns don't look as good. And it makes you bend from the torso rather than the neck. I haven't tested it with roll yet. You can turn it off with "pm_showBody 0" or on again with "pm_showBody 1". Let me know what you think.

And it has the Icuiti/Vuzix VR920 support, but the 3D isn't quite working right and the head-tracking is quite poor.

And head tracking works in the cutscenes, thanks to LeeN.

Don't forget to follow Cymatic Bruce's guide. I haven't fixed all the default settings yet, sorry.
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

very nice! So happy to see you're still working on this. Wish I had my damn Rift to test it (I'm dying over here!). I know Bruce is a big Doom fan so hopefully he checks this one out and shows us what it's like.
IGameArt
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by IGameArt »

It's looking like the animations for the player's body will have to be tweaked so that the neck doesnt move too far away from just under the camera, and the aim of the weapons will be closer to where they are supposed to be. Its looking really interesting so far, cant wait to get my rift to test it out properly.
the_wretched
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by the_wretched »

Great new version! A minor Problem I noticed: crouching and walking causes some ugly clipping with the new player body.
I have a question, is it possible to disable the vertical movement when using the right analog on a 360 controller? This really irritates me to no end, as I constantly end up having to look up or down after turns to have a "normal" view in the game. With head tracking there's no need to use the right analog for anything but turning IMO. Maybe that can be tweaked via the defaul.cfg, but I haven't found out how...
Nickman1200
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nickman1200 »

Excellent. Will try it out tomorrow after work. :D
Nickman1200
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nickman1200 »

I have now tried it out :woot
Excellent job. First time i have used my VR920 for something fun.

I agree with your:
I added Icuiti/Vuzix VR920 ("freezeframe") stereoscopic 3D support to the code on GitHub.
It isn't working perfectly, but it sort-of works.
It glitches sometimes but work ok.

My biggest problem with my VR920 has always been that Yaw sucks big time. Twitches and jumps all over the place.
Tried to move as far away from thing that can interfere but to no help.

Thanks again for your work on this.
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

2EyeGuy wrote:OK, here's my latest version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101 ... FG-VR2.zip
I played this for about 30 minutes yesterday.
Seems to work fine (haven't tried the older versions)
Only thing is stereoRender_interoccularcentimeters seems to work best set to "0"
I had it measured yesterday (around "6.3") but using that objects or text close to me are blurry... setting it to 0 is the least annoying.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

the_wretched wrote:Great new version! A minor Problem I noticed: crouching and walking causes some ugly clipping with the new player body.
Yes, I noticed that. But I'm not sure how to fix it. I think all those things are done in the animation files. I think the player is too tall in the animation for crouching compared to the actual game crouching height. I moved the camera up 2 inches when you crouch, but that's the most I can move it up, or it will feel like the top of your head is going through the ceiling.
the_wretched wrote:I have a question, is it possible to disable the vertical movement when using the right analog on a 360 controller? This really irritates me to no end, as I constantly end up having to look up or down after turns to have a "normal" view in the game. With head tracking there's no need to use the right analog for anything but turning IMO. Maybe that can be tweaked via the defaul.cfg, but I haven't found out how...
Sorry about that. I blame tmek :P The console command is joy_pitchSpeed but I think the minimum is 60. I'll see if I can fix it so the mouse pitch isn't used at all.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

New version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101 ... FG-VR3.zip

This version now configures automatically based on what HMD you have plugged in. It uses different .cfg files for different HMDs. So it's a lot more plug and play. You should still adjust the stereoRender_warpTargetFraction, and stereoRender_interoccularcentimeters console variables though. If you already set your Oculus Rift console variables up how you like, you will have to do it again after installing this.

It also fixes the head roll when you die, and has prediction that you can adjust with in_motionSensorPrediction.

Just extract it into your Doom 3 BFG folder, plug in your HMD, and run Doom3BFGRelease.exe. If you don't have a Rift, you can use the -vr command line parameter to force it to detect a Rift.

I don't have a Rift to test with, so if people want to have a look at my config files and improve them, feel free to post your changes.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Are the instructions/settings in this guide still relevant?

It would be nice to always have the OP updated with the latest build and instructions? Humble suggestion. Feel free to ignore me. :)
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

MrGreen wrote:Are the instructions/settings in this guide still relevant?

It would be nice to always have the OP updated with the latest build and instructions? Humble suggestion. Feel free to ignore me. :)
With the Steam reward codes now being released by Oculus, I bet there will be a lot of people buying Doom3-BFG, so keeping this thread up to date seems like a good idea...I have the Oculus T-Shirt & Poster, now I have the Steam rewards code, I just need one more thing and I am ready for Mars...

Quick Edit..Do they charge tax when buying from Steam ?
mrklaw

Post by mrklaw »

3dvison wrote:
MrGreen wrote:Are the instructions/settings in this guide still relevant?

With the Steam reward codes now being released by Oculus, I bet there will be a lot of people buying Doom3-BFG, so keeping this thread up to date seems like a good idea...I have the Oculus T-Shirt & Poster, now I have the Steam rewards code, I just need one more thing and I am ready for Mars...

Quick Edit..Do they charge tax when buying from Steam ?

for those in the UK, greenmangaming have it for 50% off the steam price (£9.99). just bought it from there and will use my steam credit (£13) on something else
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Cool mrklaw.
I'm in the USA and missed that 9.99 BestBuy deal.
Teeks419
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Teeks419 »

This is really awesome you guys have done an amazing job, thank you so much. I can't wait to try this when I get my rift. I do have a question though, where do I put the -vr command to check it out without the rift?
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

You dont enter a -vr command, its not a source game, you have to set it to full side by side 3d, then enter a console command, forget which one but its in this forum somewhere.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

You need the latest version for the following:
IGameArt wrote:You dont enter a -vr command, its not a source game,
It is now. :P I added the -vr command from the Source games. It's a bit hacky since Doom 3 didn't use command line parameters like that normally. I might add some of the console commands from the Source games too.
IGameArt wrote:you have to set it to full side by side 3d, then enter a console command, forget which one but its in this forum somewhere.
No, it should do that automatically now if it detects a Rift or if you use the -vr command line option. You probably still need to manually set the resolution and fullscreen/windowed from the main menu though. Your settings will be saved in a different place when running in VR mode.

To run programs with a command line, you can either run them from the command ("DOS") prompt and just type it in like: Doom3BFGRelease -vr
or you can create a shortcut to the exe file and then edit the shortcut properties to include the -vr after the exe name.

I haven't really tested this much though, and I haven't got much feedback, so let me know how it goes.

I just bought Doom 3 BFG on disc (I'll use my steam voucher for Orange Box instead), so now I can test it properly. At the moment I'm trying to fix it so it works with other languages. Currently there is no text or sound if you have the non-English version (you can change the language from Steam).
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

OK, here's a newer version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101 ... FG-VR4.zip
Extract it into your Doom 3 BFG directory.

This version finally supports other languages besides English. You don't need to do anything, it will detect what language version you have.

BTW: If you want to change languages, change languages from Steam the normal way. Start Steam, go to your library, right click Doom 3 BFG, choose properties, go to the language tab, choose whichever language you want (they all have full voice acting), and wait for it to download. When it has downloaded, run the Doom3BFGRelease.exe and it will be in that language.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Damn you, FFMPEG!

I'm trying to get bink video playback working (iD had to remove it when they released the source). Currently FFMPEG is giving me huge difficulties. But I'm making progress, I think.
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

what is the benefit of playing bink videos while playing in the Rift?
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

They are currently used for:
* The Bethesda and iD logo video at the start
* The big planet Mars in the background of the main menu
* The background for the information about the UAC when you start a new campaign
* Parts of the monitor (showing the Radar and the Darkstar) at the start of the first cutscene in the first level
* Most of the first tall welcome screen you see when you enter Mars City after your bioscan
* All the videos you can download to your PDA
* Most of the TV show in the cafeteria of Mars City
* The scene where Hell first breaks loose
* Various screens and animations around the base
etc.

You are missing quite a bit by not having them. It significantly reduces immersion, story, and playability.
Ulukai5
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ulukai5 »

2EyeGuy wrote:Damn you, FFMPEG!

I'm trying to get bink video playback working (iD had to remove it when they released the source). Currently FFMPEG is giving me huge difficulties. But I'm making progress, I think.
Very nice to see you working on the videos with FFMPEG. I hope that you'll get a working version ready soon.

Personally I'm using RBDOOM-3-BFG on Linux, because that has the most advanced Linux support and OpenAL integration. Everything works really well but support for the Bink videos is still missing there as well. Hopefully you'll be so kind to drop a word on the forum there when you succeed so we can try to get it in that version as well. http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewto ... 40&t=26394

Good luck and a ton of thanks!
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Ulukai5 wrote: Very nice to see you working on the videos with FFMPEG. I hope that you'll get a working version ready soon.

Personally I'm using RBDOOM-3-BFG on Linux, because that has the most advanced Linux support and OpenAL integration. Everything works really well but support for the Bink videos is still missing there as well. Hopefully you'll be so kind to drop a word on the forum there when you succeed so we can try to get it in that version as well. http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewto ... 40&t=26394

Good luck and a ton of thanks!
Unfortunately, it seems that I'm not likely to get a version working anytime soon. FFMPEG was written by people like you, so trying to get it working on Windows in Visual Studio is an absolute nightmare. I tried prebuilt DLLs, but they crash as soon as I call any function. I tried different calling conventions, generating my own lib files, using LoadLibrary and GetProcAddress, but FFMPEG won't allow any of its functions to be called.

On the other hand, getting it to work on Linux should be a piece of cake. I don't have Linux installed though, so I can't get that working myself.

I think I'll try getting it to play the RoQ video files from the original Doom 3 first, instead.

Is RBDOOM-3-BFG just for Linux, or for Windows too? I could never work that out. Most of the forks seem to be for other platforms, rather than adding features or fixing bugs.

Features in our version of Doom 3 BFG that may not (I haven't checked though) be in RBDOOM-3-BFG, are:
* Oculus Rift support
* Hillcrest tracker DIY Rift support
* VR920 partial support
* Looking around in cutscenes (even with the mouse)
* pm_showBody to show your body in first person
* Autodetect hardware and use different config files
* Config file support (previously it overwrote your settings with settings from the binary file)
* German, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, etc. support
* Can set vertical mouse or gamepad sensitivity all the way down to zero
* TGA and JPEG file support for images
* Might now run on some older graphics hardware or older OpenGL drivers
* Carmack Reverse is back
* Uncensored Doom 1 and especially Doom 2, Med packs, Beserk packs, and Secret level walls (but not SS yet, sorry)
* Extra secret Doom 2 level, Map 33: Betray, that is (accidentally?) included in Doom 3 BFG now works perfectly
I'm also working on VRPN support, getting the cinematics working, adding Doom 64 and possibly Doom RPG and Doom 2 RPG, and getting Doom 1 and Doom 2 to render properly in OpenGL. But they are taking a long time.

I don't know what features are in RBDOOM-3-BFG that aren't in our version, that we could borrow. Does anyone know?

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”