10 inch retina display for HMD?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
graziano
One Eyed Hopeful

10 inch retina display for HMD?

Post by graziano »

As the rift CV price cooled me down for a moment, i thought of another shot at DIY. The 7" 1280px i've built is a bit sparse on pixels, and there are cheap 10" 2048px retina panels driven through eDP, which are 300ppi and seem relatively easy to use if you have a graphic card with the display port output. At this moment i'm making static trials with fresnels, but perhaps someone already went that route? 10 inch offers extra space for peripherial FOV, but i'm wondering if the distortions won't make it unusable. I'm using TriDef drivers.

Any thoughts, ladies and gentlemen?
deggial
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: 10 inch retina display for HMD?

Post by deggial »

For 10" you might need optical prisms before lenses. It's about eye distance (60-65mm). With lenses only, you need to get the stereo centers too close - relative to the display size - and you will have more 2D exclusive info for each eye towards the display's edges than common 3D info which is towards the display's center.

I use a 6" display and I needed to get the stereo centers closer for a confortable view. Therefore, I have 3D info on ~2/3 of all image, the rest of ~1/3 being separate eye info. It's still an immersive 3D, but I wouldn't choose a larger screen with lenses alone.

In my opinion, a 5.5" screen would do a good job while also being lightweight.
JacobVR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JacobVR »

It seems like more thought has been put into the design of the human eye than other designs in the past have. I also like the adjustable diopters. I have been a big fan of mirror based optic transmission systems for a long time, So idea of having access to one for every day use and possibly even graphics design and image editing is certainly promising. Personally I haven't been happy with the Sony HMD offerings, not one of them that they have made available in the last 13 years. Or some of the other versions out there that I have gotten my hands on. I haven't bothered with the occulus rift, since I have no interest in head tracking.
modobo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by modobo »

I think 10" is just too big and heavy + u will be using a driver that was not designed by the displays manufacturer. Its a good idea though, let me know how u get on.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”