Half-Life 2 VR mod with head tracking (download now)

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Half-Life 2 VR mod with head tracking (download now)

Post by 3dvison »

OK new problems..Nothing to do with the HL2-Mod.

So I did need to upgrade to the 250hz firmware, but now that I did that, the mouse will track for 2-3 secs then pause for 2-3secs then track again ,then pause ect,ect...so on & so on..

It dose this when using the Windows desck top or playing a game like Half Life ??? Any Hillcrest user have this happen and found a way to fix it ?
adoral84
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by adoral84 »

The mouse emulation definitely does that for me with the beta drivers but it should behave fine in the mod since it uses the raw IMU data. It's pretty easy to reload the previous firmware if you want to play games with mouse emulation. Have you tried the actual mod or just tried the normal game out with mouse emulation?
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

adoral84 wrote: Have you tried the actual mod or just tried the normal game out with mouse emulation?
I think that must be it.
I was loading the game with Vireo in hillcrest mode but your HL-2 mod is not loaded/loading.
superbike81
Cross Eyed!

Post by superbike81 »

At this point, what would you overall recommendation be for someone who has the same gun as you, basic technical knowledge (not going to deal with circuit boards or soldering) which tracker would you recommend? Hillcrest or YEI? If YEI, which specific model? The Wi-Fi and Bluetooth ones seems intriguing but will they cause added delay?

I've got the gun, got the Xbox controller adapter, got your mod, and got the Rift on order. Just need to decide which tracker to get.

Thanks for any help!
SirNikkolas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SirNikkolas »

As of right now, if you only have one tracker it will default to the head tracking. I have the YEI usb one and it works perfectly for that. Once the rifts come out, those trackers will be defaulted to head movement, and the other trackers will be able to do something else. Now if you get one of the wireless ones, you will see some more latency. It wouldn't be as bad as having it for the head tracking, but I don't know if the latency will mess you up at all. I plan on running my wire alongside my rift's wire and just attaching them with some kind of ties to keep it organized. It would be cool if Oculus would put a through-usb port on the side of their rift for addons though.
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

adoral84 wrote:I'm not sure why but I'm having issues getting them to behave as expected (no issues at all with the same concepts in crysis) and I'm pretty sure they'll have to be heavily modified to work the way I want them to (especially with positional tracking factored in).
Does this mean you're currently working on positional tracking for the gun? Like a 1:1 movement for things like iron sighting?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

SirNikkolas wrote:As of right now, if you only have one tracker it will default to the head tracking. I have the YEI usb one and it works perfectly for that. Once the rifts come out, those trackers will be defaulted to head movement, and the other trackers will be able to do something else. Now if you get one of the wireless ones, you will see some more latency. It wouldn't be as bad as having it for the head tracking, but I don't know if the latency will mess you up at all. I plan on running my wire alongside my rift's wire and just attaching them with some kind of ties to keep it organized. It would be cool if Oculus would put a through-usb port on the side of their rift for addons though.
I've tried this with Arma 2, first get the delta between body and head IMU's and then use that to feed the head yaw into Arma 2 using Freetrack interface (It uses a relative value where 0 is head rested in center, -90 to +90 degrees), the problem is that the two IMU's will never be completely in sync, they will have different drift, latency etc. So the result is that the head will move on its own because of the delta between the two IMU's will change even if head is not moving.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

superbike81 wrote:At this point, what would you overall recommendation be for someone who has the same gun as you, basic technical knowledge (not going to deal with circuit boards or soldering) which tracker would you recommend? Hillcrest or YEI? If YEI, which specific model? The Wi-Fi and Bluetooth ones seems intriguing but will they cause added delay?

I've got the gun, got the Xbox controller adapter, got your mod, and got the Rift on order. Just need to decide which tracker to get.

Thanks for any help!
I'd get the YEI tracker, it's faster and the magnetometer should keep you from having to recenter the weapon on a regular basis because of yaw drift like you do with the hillcrest.

CyberVillain wrote: I've tried this with Arma 2, first get the delta between body and head IMU's and then use that to feed the head yaw into Arma 2 using Freetrack interface (It uses a relative value where 0 is head rested in center, -90 to +90 degrees), the problem is that the two IMU's will never be completely in sync, they will have different drift, latency etc. So the result is that the head will move on its own because of the delta between the two IMU's will change even if head is not moving.
That sounds interesting, did you try it with 9dof trackers like the YEI? If that solves the drift problems I'd love to be able to integrate with arma2/3.
Alkapwn wrote: Does this mean you're currently working on positional tracking for the gun? Like a 1:1 movement for things like iron sighting?
For now I'm just trying to fix up how the viewmodel moves on screen for each gun but this is a necessity for any positional tracking. The hydra will probably be the first device I test to provide positional tracking.
3dvison wrote: I think that must be it.
I was loading the game with Vireo in hillcrest mode but your HL-2 mod is not loaded/loading.
Were you ever able to get it working?
CyberVillain wrote:Could you please add FreePIE support?

You can use the Freetrack shared memory pipeline which has built in support in FreePIE

The Pipeline name is "FT_SharedMem" the data struct looks like (C# code)

You need to define the whole struct but ignore everything other than yaw, pitch, roll

edit: I have no problem creating a custom shared memory plugin for FreePIE if you dont like the layout of Freetracks struct. Maybe a struct that have two trackers, one for head and one for weapon
Hey CyberVillian, that struct looks fine to me but I have one question. Can you make it allow for either multiple shared pipes, one per tracker, or pass multiple channels for each device? I can hook it in as is but it looks like it'd be limited to a single tracker for head orientation (still cool but it'd be nice to be able to use freepie for additional inputs as they're supported).
Annon wrote:@adoral84 have you thought about open-sourcing this on github? I'd be interested in tinkering with it, and I'm sure others would here as well.
I plan to release the code and have a series of posts on the process, challenges etc. I want to get the core functionality wrapped up but I'm going to try to get everything to that point before the rift dev kit release. I'd love to see someone port in the gun control to other games like doom 3 and unreal tournament.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

adoral84 wrote: That sounds interesting, did you try it with 9dof trackers like the YEI? If that solves the drift problems I'd love to be able to integrate with arma2/3.
Tested with Sparkfun Razor IMU with AHRS fusion (9DOF) and Android HTC One with Mahony fusion (9DOF).
adoral84 wrote: Hey CyberVillian, that struct looks fine to me but I have one question. Can you make it allow for either multiple shared pipes, one per tracker, or pass multiple channels for each device? I can hook it in as is but it looks like it'd be limited to a single tracker for head orientation (still cool but it'd be nice to be able to use freepie for additional inputs as they're supported).
I can have a look at a generic input plugin this weekend. I will have to investigate how you can send an array with shared memory, simple data structs work fine, but im not sure about arrays
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

I searched the thread for it, but could not find an answer:
Is there a way to get this mod running with Razers Hydra?
Specially the Independent Gun/View Movement would be interesting, since it could feel Like the Portal 2 Demo .

I tried it with the SixSense Motion Creator and I notice the Head/Neck Model, but the Gun is always like the View.
I could not find any instructions for using a different tracker, just the information that people are doing it :?
I searched in the Steam Folder but I didn't found any configs regarding this?

Is there something i lost sight of?
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
superbike81
Cross Eyed!

Post by superbike81 »

Thanks for the information.

Is it worth it to pay the extra $25 for the high G-Range accelerometer?
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

@adoral84

I checked in a generic plugin
https://github.com/AndersMalmgren/FreeP ... 41bae9ac19

Its struct looks like

Code: Select all

public struct Generic6DOF
    {
        public int DataId;

public float Yaw;
        public float Pitch;
        public float Roll;

public float X;
        public float Y;
        public float Z;
    }
Its stored in the shared memory with the key FPGeneric and the size should be sizeof(Generic6DOF) * 4 (The array is 4 elements). PLease let me know if you can read the data from C
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Here's a quick update on the actual mod, I didn't have as much time as I'd like this weekend but I did fix/improve several things.

- EP 1 & EP 2 now install as separate entries in steam, there were content conflicts between them trying to all run as the same app causing missing scenes. There are still several scenes missing in ep1 and 2 but I'll sort that out soon. For now HL2 seems to be playable end to end.
- View model animation improvements - Most of my work went into making the viewmodels behave while handling the various combinations of head/weapon orientations. There are still some extreme cases that act up but generally it's much more playable.
- joystick/mouse yaw jitter fixed when moving head
- fixed issues with leaning not appropriately offsetting the shoot vector

https://s3.amazonaws.com/HLVR/halflife-vr-0.9.4.exe

So I watched the live webcast from SXSW and wanted to give a few quick thoughts on what I really hope can be integrated into the mod after putting many hours into playing it:

After playing with the Mag II for a bit I went back to the top shot elite because of the second joystick and the only thing that really jumped out at me was the lack of rumble when firing. The effect on the Mag II isn't particularly good but having some physical feedback even if not accurate makes a big difference. My last session I played sitting down in my office chair with my buttkicker on and it definitely added immersion and intensity. I actually really enjoyed playing seated once I adjusted to it although I did end up pulling out my cables after apparently turning multiple circles in my chair without ever even noticing. I'd love to have a solenoid based recoil attachment if there are any hardware people out there who want to try to solve that problem.

I'd say Half-Life 2 already does this quite well, the bursts of action are usually broken up well, and even crysis for the most part allows you to take your own time between sections. I did slow down the movement speeds and would like to add more acceleration to the movement, right now even with analog controls it's hard to be very precise because faster movement is a bit too instant.

I still need to patch up the missing scenes in ep1 and ep2, but hopefully soon we'll be getting our dev kits and the main thing to do will be integrating the api and the screen warping. Aside from that I'll be working on getting things working properly in multiplayer, I'm really curious what a multiplayer VR only experience even as simple as hl2 team deathmatch could be like. This'll probably require much more pacing and rebalancing that the single player game. I'll allow for both people with just head tracking and people with independent head and gun tracking but I can tell you definitively now that the weapon tracking is a definite advantage.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Hi adoral84,
Can't seem to get that new updated HL-VR download link to work ?
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Sorry, didn't update the permissions properly, should work now.
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

Would it be worth it to pick one of these up given the sale it's on?

Razer Hydra

http://tech.woot.com/offers/razer-hydra ... ontrollers
Mel

Post by Mel »

Alkapwn wrote:Would it be worth it to pick one of these up given the sale it's on?

Razer Hydra

It remains to be seen the 'worth' of the Hydra WRT VR, but for what it's worth in my case, I bought it from your link earlier today. Hedging at a good price. :-)
Krisper
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Krisper »

Alkapwn wrote:Would it be worth it to pick one of these up given the sale it's on?

Razer Hydra

I've had one for a while, wish I got it for $40. I haven't done a lot with it, apart from Portal 2, but I think we should see it being supported in future VR games once the Rift is released.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

adoral84: Great work! You should get in touch with JanVR to see if he can test the Virtuix Omni with your HL2 mod ;)
hal10000
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hal10000 »

I bought one of the Woot hydra's as well. I just couldn't pass up the price and I see the Hydra as having a lot of potential with the Oculus.
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

Krisper wrote: I've had one for a while, wish I got it for $40. I haven't done a lot with it, apart from Portal 2, but I think we should see it being supported in future VR games once the Rift is released.
With that Driver by Sixsense (Motion Creator) where you can play literally every game with Hydra it's quite fun. I'm currently playing Resident Evil (4-6) using it. In the Armored Ops Prototype Video Razers Hydra is used for picking up Blocks and Sword Fight and also in "Zombies on the Holodeck!".

B²T: Still no answer on a possible way to use this mod with Razers Hydra?
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Dakor wrote: B²T: Still no answer on a possible way to use this mod with Razers Hydra?
It's not quite as straight forward as I'd like at the moment, most of the difficulty being around the view models and making them feel natural with 6dof movement. The razer apis are really easy to work though which is nice and aside from bug fixes it's the next thing on the list. It does seem like the device could be a great first gen vr controller to go with the rift and sounds like other developers are leaning that way so I'll definitely be supporting it as one of the primary ways to play the mod.
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

adoral84 wrote:
Dakor wrote: B²T: Still no answer on a possible way to use this mod with Razers Hydra?
It's not quite as straight forward as I'd like at the moment, most of the difficulty being around the view models and making them feel natural with 6dof movement. The razer apis are really easy to work though which is nice and aside from bug fixes it's the next thing on the list. It does seem like the device could be a great first gen vr controller to go with the rift and sounds like other developers are leaning that way so I'll definitely be supporting it as one of the primary ways to play the mod.
Oh, I'm Sorry I just saw you mentioned the Razer on the last page.. which made my question dispensable :x
Thank you for your answer! I'm currently working on some "1:1" Tracking for my UDK game with the Hydra and I have to agree Razer has actually made a good job with their API :)
Mel

Post by Mel »

adoral84 wrote:
Isn't there a 3 foot range limitation with the Hydra, and doesn't that make it kinda useless with your mod?
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

The mod actually plays pretty well even sitting generally facing a general direction and using the right thumbstick to turn in addition to your head movement, I play sitting in my office chair with the top shot quite a bit and it feels natural enough after a few minutes (the gun feels a bit too long for sitting but the hydra doesn't have that problem). I'm going to continue to work on the 360 degree setup but a lot of people seem to want to play with the hydra.
CyberVillain
Petrif-Eyed

Post by CyberVillain »

Have you had any progress with FreePIE :D Cant wait to test this with my Arduino IMU :D
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

Seeing you in the corner making 1:1 movements is what makes this mod interesting.
I would be suprised if most people were actually willing to give up 360 degrees, even if those anxious to use the hydra.
360 degree or bust :smiley with guns:
Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

donkaradiablo wrote:Seeing you in the corner making 1:1 movements is what makes this mod interesting.
I would be suprised if most people were actually willing to give up 360 degrees, even if those anxious to use the hydra.
360 degree or bust :smiley with guns:
I certainly prefer the 360 degree play as well and would love for it to be widely adopted but I also just want to avoid first-gen vr games all suffering from a "gun on your nose" setup. Getting an example of independent weapon tracking in as many devs hands as possible early on should hopefully help give it some momentum. Beyond that, I think if a lot of people enjoy play with the hydra a good portion of them will want to try the 360 setup at some point.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Sorry for only posting problems that I don't even think are the HL-VR mods fault, but I have come to wits end on this one and have used a bunch of online fixes that don't fix it.

So here it is...I start HL-VR Mod from my steam game list and get..."Could not load library client".
I can't shake this problem..any ideas ?
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

@3dvision - The only time I've seen that is when dll dependencies were missing, can you post a screenshot of your /halflife-vr/bin folder? What setup are you using? Hillcrest, YEI, one of each etc?

My second YEI just came in today, I'm going to have to sort out a connector since it's the embedded version but I'm looking forward to trying out the mod without the yaw drift.
love2scoot
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by love2scoot »

I had this problem too. I tried several different solutions, including an uninstall / reinstall of the SDK packages, etc. The only thing that finally worked was completely uninstalling Steam and reinstalling from scratch. This sounds pretty drastic, but I started the process in the morning, and by the time I was back home in the evening, everything was installed and HL-VR worked.
djdevin
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by djdevin »

3dvison wrote:So I did need to upgrade to the 250hz firmware, but now that I did that, the mouse will track for 2-3 secs then pause for 2-3secs then track again ,then pause ect,ect...so on & so on..
Did you get this fixed? I'm having the same issue now...

EDIT: So the mouse mode with the 250hz firmware does this. Once I launched HLVR and the hillcrest integration took over, smooth sailing.
djdevin
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by djdevin »

Bah, I've got another problem now.

1 tracker is fine, 2 trackers, there's a huge delay in movement. 250hz

Trying to figure out why. Rolling back to 125 to test
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

djdevin wrote:Bah, I've got another problem now.
1 tracker is fine, 2 trackers, there's a huge delay in movement. 250hz
Two hillcrests right? I don't think it's a 125/250hz issue there, the hillcrest trackers block the input thread when they sit perfectly still which screws up the other tracker as it doesn't get it's info nearly fast enough, if you are physically holding both (not setting them on a desk etc) they should both naturally move enough to prevent this from happening. The issue isn't actually permanent but it does take a minute of both moving to go away but it definitely sucks. It's something I'd intended to fix but had just forgotten about it until this post since it doesn't happen with the YEI's or even when using one hillcrest and one YEI. I'll fix that this weekend, in the meantime see if you can sit out the lag and once it goes away it should be fine.

I was able to get the SBS stereoscopic stuff working for the rift (without the warping) today, but there are a handlful of things that still need to be worked out, specifically around the menus and hud depth but I don't think that'll be too hard. I've also fixed all the missing scenes for EP1 and 2.
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

Also I've been running into an issue recently that I can't seem to find a solution for.

There doesn't appear to be a donation page of any sort for us to contribute our thanks to the super awesome work that you're doing making the best games Rift Ready.

We await for updates on this. Keep us posted, and again, amazing work you're doing.
djdevin
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by djdevin »

djdevin wrote: tracker is fine, 2 trackers, there's a huge delay in movement. 250hz

Wow, failure of a day for me today. Vsync was on and causing the delay :x

I do see ("feel"?) some other sort of lag that must be caused by IO blocking that I didn't feel when only using 1 - must be related somehow.

Anyways nice work! Keeps getting better and better.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

I've fixed all the content related bugs that I'm aware of, the entire series is playable end to end. There are a few oddities like some non-essential mounted guns not firing correctly and the tau cannon is missing on the buggy, but I want to make sure I get the core stuff all working.

Today I reworked the tracking code to prevent the issues mentioned earlier in the thread and added support for multiple YEI devices. I did have to set the update rate on the YEI to 750hz since it tends to fluctuate down to that pretty frequently and the sensor fusion does better with a stable rate, but even at 750hz it's noticeably more responsive than the 250hz hillcrest. Today I played through with two YEI trackers and the lack of yaw drift was even more helpful than I expected. I'd highly recommend getting a YEI tracker over a hillcrest for that reason, you can get an embedded one with a connector soldered on for only a bit more than the FSM-6. The changes I've made should've fixed the hillcrest lag issues with multiple devices but I can't test it properly because I loaned one of my trackers to another dev.

When I get my rift getting the stereo display with the proper ratios will be top priority, then the warping, then hydra support ( I thought I'd have more time before the dev kits shipped but it looks like that may not be the case). If you have a hydra you'll still be able to play without the separate gun tracking for the moment.
Mel

Post by Mel »

adoral84 wrote:I've fixed all the content related bugs that I'm aware of, the entire series is playable end to end. There are a few oddities like some non-essential mounted guns not firing correctly and the tau cannon is missing on the buggy, but I want to make sure I get the core stuff all working.

Today I reworked the tracking code to prevent the issues mentioned earlier in the thread and added support for multiple YEI devices. I did have to set the update rate on the YEI to 750hz since it tends to fluctuate down to that pretty frequently and the sensor fusion does better with a stable rate, but even at 750hz it's noticeably more responsive than the 250hz hillcrest. Today I played through with two YEI trackers and the lack of yaw drift was even more helpful than I expected. I'd highly recommend getting a YEI tracker over a hillcrest for that reason, you can get an embedded one with a connector soldered on for only a bit more than the FSM-6. The changes I've made should've fixed the hillcrest lag issues with multiple devices but I can't test it properly because I loaned one of my trackers to another dev.

When I get my rift getting the stereo display with the proper ratios will be top priority, then the warping, then hydra support ( I thought I'd have more time before the dev kits shipped but it looks like that may not be the case). If you have a hydra you'll still be able to play without the separate gun tracking for the moment.
Great progress, a84.
I don't suppose you've had a chance to do the head/neck/spine modelling yet, have you? My guess is that from an immersion perspective, it will make a huge difference.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

I did add in the basic hooks but I haven't tied it in yet. There's actually a vr_spine_length console var but the code isn't currently running. My guess is that it'll make a big difference, that's probably the first approach I'll take to some positional tracking. What trackers are you using?
Mel

Post by Mel »

adoral84 wrote:I did add in the basic hooks but I haven't tied it in yet. There's actually a vr_spine_length console var but the code isn't currently running. My guess is that it'll make a big difference, that's probably the first approach I'll take to some positional tracking. What trackers are you using?
None, yet, as I'm waiting for the dev kit (I'm a pre-kickstarter purchaser, so I hope to have it really soon). Once any Oculus tracker/any other tracker compatibility issues are identified and accounted for, I will buy whatever trackers are appropriate (I'm assuming it will be two YEIs).

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”