Half-Life 2 VR mod with head tracking (download now)

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
adoral84
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Half-Life 2 VR mod with head tracking (download now)

Post by adoral84 »

I just finished my first extended playthrough with the weapon tracking with a proper weapon controller and wanted to share some thoughts. I purchased a top shot elite xbox 360 gun controller that I mounted the tracker on, it detects just like an xbox 360 controller (assuming you have the wireless adapter for your computer) which was nice, although the sticks are set up odd by default, the "right stick" is on the front of the gun and the left is behind the trigger but this was easy to fix in the game configuration. It's nice to get analog movement and plug and play on a decent gun controller, especially compared to my previous setup using a combination of glovepie & motioninjoy with a ps move sharpshooter and the occasional BSoD (motioninjoy).

The drift between trackers isn't too bad, but trackers with magnetometers would obviously be ideal.

I've only got one major thing left to do for the weapon tracking, I'm going to have to redo the view models quite a bit to make them really work with all the various orientations. I noticed that valve explicitly mentioned that in the topics for their GDC talk so it's not that surprising that it's a big chunk of the work. I'm just going to pull the arms off if I can't get them to work, I've found that the brain is much more forgiving about the absence of something expected than seeing something wrong (for example an arm that doesn't look like its going to actually connect with the body).

Brantlew was kind enough to share the plugin he's made for interfacing with freepie to provide tracking data so I'll start work on that this weekend which should open up a lot of options for alternative trackers. If the wiimote works well I may switch over to that myself to have one less cord, although with 15ft cables running over a hook on the ceiling it's only occasionally an issue. I also find myself using the thumbstick to turn in scenarios where you'd immediately wrap yourself up like going up stairwells etc.

Here's a link to the gun controller in case anyone is interested...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FD ... 02_s00_i01
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Sorry, Wiimote inertial data not currently supported in FreePIE (only buttons). A bummer I know, just never got around to implementing it.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

brantlew wrote:Sorry, Wiimote inertial data not currently supported in FreePIE (only buttons). A bummer I know, just never got around to implementing it.
@Brantlew - I'm sure I can work that out. What wiimote drivers were you using for the wiimote plugin? I was recently dabbling with wiiyourself and it seemed pretty good.

I fixed the gravity gun to control properly with the second tracker, it works great and turns some of the physics sections into a unique experience rather than an neck-pain inducing chore. I'm not a minecraft fan but I could see something like this working very well there. I think basically everything at this point is done aside from the viewmodels. I've been dialing back the movement speed, I just don't feel in control when circle strafing at 20 mph or whatever the default run is.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I was using wiimotelib, but the stable version did not yet have inertial data. There was a beta version that was supposed to support inertial and WiimotePlus data but I never took the time to mess with it.

The big problem with FreePIE is that its all written in C# which means that it's sort of awkward as a hardware interface since basically all hardware is supported through C APIs. So you have to either find managed libraries, write an extern layer, or some sort of middle-layer dll. Sometimes easy, sometimes not - but unfortunately it's almost never as easy as just downloading some open-source code and just linking it. Thus we have some spotty support right now.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I have some experience with WiiYourself and it was a real hit-or-miss. For basic Wiimote stuff it was OK, however it didn't work very well with the newer Motion+ Inside remotes. I ended up finding code on the mailing list and hacking some stuff up myself. But even then it was unstable, sometimes it would work and then stop working randomly. And you really need the Motion+ if you want the best tracking.

Its C++, but if you want the code, I can post it. Could be a good starting point to see what you need to do.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

cybereality wrote:Its C++, but if you want the code, I can post it. Could be a good starting point to see what you need to do.
That'd be great, I've got an older wiimote with a motion plus extension (whatever they called it) as well as one of the newer motion+ inside versions. I was never able to get the latter to work at all so it sounds like your code if beyond anything I've tried at this point.
djdevin
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by djdevin »

adoral84 wrote:That's really odd, I've tried several tracking positions w/ multiple trackers and played waay too much :) and never seen any sort of drift on pitch or roll. If you send me your tracker's physical orientation (on the side with the usb coming out the back and the top of the board to the right etc) I'll try to reproduce what you're seeing though.

Mouse inputs only affect yaw and autoaim never really affects the viewport, only the aiming vector and crosshair so I don't think it's either of those things. It may be the sensor fusion averaging across an origin where an axis wraps but I was under the impression that quaternion based calculations didn't suffer from that.

Was this something you saw during your first run?
My bad, I still had the 250hz firmware installed when I was doing some experimenting. :oops:

Fixed!
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Ah, nice, I'll patch in a console command so you can adjust the sensor fusion to work with 250hz, glad to hear it's working though. How did the virieo drivers work out?
djdevin
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by djdevin »

With Virieo, 3D works fine, but I had a problem with the tracker I posted in the release thread. Cyber said something about the event queue being overloaded. I think they said something about it needing to be in another thread so it doesn't block anything.

Mod works great and can't wait to test with independent gun movement even if it means dropping another buck on another tracker. The game is really playable (and enjoyable ;) ) even just using the Wiimote for forward/back/strafe/buttons and looks great on my DIY rift with DDD. I had a few guinea pigs try it and it's really easy to get into the game and play through it.

Question for you though, does your fusion have to change because it's 250hz? Or do you just set a new sample rate?
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

Hello adoral84

Thanks for posting this mod. I just played through the map where you defend Alyx in the ant lion tunnels using turrets. It was really fun! I'm using a DIY rift with vireio for warping and hillcrest tracker with the 250hz firmware.

Horizontal rotation seems too sensitive. I can turn my head a little over 90 degrees in one direction, but Gordon ends up doing a full 180 degree rotation. Is there a way to adjust this?
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

This looks greatcakeawesomepie! :woot

Actually the first S3D-experience to really hook me was HL2 with nVidia 3D-vision, sadly it was with a screen that showed a pile of ghosting top and bottom, as well as the hud being rendered just flat including the crosshair. Still, just with depth the immersion got crazy, on a monitor. With head tracking, separate weapon tracking and S3D I'm sure to fill up a couple of pants, looking forward to this come March-May sometime, eh! :D
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Jose wrote:Hello adoral84

Thanks for posting this mod. I just played through the map where you defend Alyx in the ant lion tunnels using turrets. It was really fun! I'm using a DIY rift with vireio for warping and hillcrest tracker with the 250hz firmware.

Horizontal rotation seems too sensitive. I can turn my head a little over 90 degrees in one direction, but Gordon ends up doing a full 180 degree rotation. Is there a way to adjust this?
Glad to hear it worked well for you. I'm jealous that you have a functional DIY, I tried 3 lvds boards and they all went died within ~10 minutes of powering up so I've got a partially assembled one sitting off to the side that I haven't been able to use. Does the head roll work alright with vireio, I believe there were some issues with other stereo drivers and the source engine where each eye rotates about it's own axis in the center of it's screen.

All the tracking including yaw are one to one, but given that you're the first person to use the vireio drivers here's a likely reason. Vireio provides mouse emulation from what I've read, and if that's not disabled somehow your essentially getting the real head tracking yaw updates + the mouse emulation ones. I do allow mouse input to turn the player as well as the gamepad right stick so you can turn around without physically turning in circles. I don't know if vireio has an option to shut off mouse emulation but if not I can add a switch to turn off mouse input.

I'm surprised that the 250hz firmware was working for you, it caused issues for djdevin but I had planned to add proper support for it this weekend.
BOLL wrote:This looks greatcakeawesomepie! :woot

Actually the first S3D-experience to really hook me was HL2 with nVidia 3D-vision, sadly it was with a screen that showed a pile of ghosting top and bottom, as well as the hud being rendered just flat including the crosshair. Still, just with depth the immersion got crazy, on a monitor. With head tracking, separate weapon tracking and S3D I'm sure to fill up a couple of pants, looking forward to this come March-May sometime, eh! :D
Ha, yeah similar experience for me too. And I remember thinking when I got my HMZ a year ago that we had achieved the ultimate VR solution, it's pretty amazing to see how fast things accelerated over the last year. By the time the rifts ship I'd like to have a relatively cheap/simple solution for the weapon tracking that all in is under $100. Right now the gun I'm using was ~40 but the hillcrest tracker is a bit pricey.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

djdevin wrote:Mod works great and can't wait to test with independent gun movement even if it means dropping another buck on another tracker. The game is really playable (and enjoyable ;) ) even just using the Wiimote for forward/back/strafe/buttons and looks great on my DIY rift with DDD. I had a few guinea pigs try it and it's really easy to get into the game and play through it.

Question for you though, does your fusion have to change because it's 250hz? Or do you just set a new sample rate?
Awesome, glad your enjoying it. I'm going to be posting more videos tomorrow and an update with all the latest gun tracking stuff. I originally just had a constant defined for the sample rate, it's now a setting you can adjust via the game config or console in the version I'll release tomorrow. The independent gun tracking is really coming together, it now passes my test of being natural enough to feel like a major advantage over just head tracking now that I have the controller mapped in a reasonable way.
BillRoeske
Cross Eyed!

Post by BillRoeske »

Jose wrote:[...] Thanks for posting this mod. I just played through the map where you defend Alyx in the ant lion tunnels using turrets. It was really fun! I'm using a DIY rift with vireio for warping and hillcrest tracker with the 250hz firmware. [...]
It's pretty fantastic to see the various gears that have been in motion for the past (less than a) year starting to click together like this.

Nice job on the mod, adoral! I'll certainly give it a spin once my Rift dev kit arrives. In the mean time, though, I'm enjoying the thread and look forward to the new videos. :)
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

adoral84,
What do you think of this gun/tracker (Link Below)

Talked about in this thread.
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=15708
GUN:
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Inductio ... rds=mag+II
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

I just posted a new video of the mod mostly focused on combat using the independent head and weapon tracking. I did include a few scenes with an overlay of me controlling it although I was never quite able to get them entirely synced.

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H2rL-lBxRs[/youtube-hd]
3dvison wrote:adoral84,
What do you think of this gun/tracker (Link Below)

Talked about in this thread.
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=15708
GUN:
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Inductio ... rds=mag+II
I was considering the mag II, it looks really well built but two things made me decide to try the top shot elite, the price (I'd like this to be accessible for a broader group) and the fact that the mag II seems to have only one thumbstick. Having the extra thumbstick on the back of the trigger handle is really useful as I can use it to add additional yaw without tangling myself up. Everything will work with the Mag II though, you just won't have the extra analog turn ability.

Actually, if they've actually released (or someone hacked together) an api I could probably use the sensors built in for the tracking which would be pretty awesome (I'm assuming it has both a gyro and accelerometer). That's something I should definitely look into as that'd essentially give you a plug and play solution with nothing required but the rift and the gun...
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

adoral84 wrote: - 3 DOF true headtracking (not mouse emulation) + a head/neck model for some basic translation
- Transparent HUD that fades in when relevant information changes (taking damage, reloading etc)
- You can lower your gun ("use" key can toggle it as well as many of the actions like sprinting, picking up items, etc) because constantly having a gun in your face (when you aren't fighting) is an immersion killer... This also hides the crosshairs so there's effectively no HUD
- Removed all head kicks from both user weapons and enemy attacks (like getting hit in the face with a CP baton)
- Full support for custom tracker orientation
- support for gamepad / mouse turning in addition to the tracker yaw
- an installer (**when selecting the installation directory, point it to you "Steam" folder)
- independent 360 degree weapon tracking with a second tracker
- custom sensor fusion for hillcrest (the out of the box one is awful)
This is just great man. Really great.
Now I'll have to buy a second tracker when I get my Rift :)
Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Hi adoral84,
Is it still Hillcrest trackers only or did you get that multi tracker code working ?

Video looks great...and fun..
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

3dvison wrote: Is it still Hillcrest trackers only or did you get that multi tracker code working ?
Still the hillcrest trackers, I got sidetracked working on cleaning up game breaking missing scenes, setting up the code for the new more accurate view model placement and made some adjustments to make the tracking faster. Given that the wiimote isn't returning orientation data in the Freepie plugin it's not going to be quite as straight forward as I'd hoped :/ If I get some code from Cyber that is more consistent than what I've been able to get from wiiyourself it shouldn't take long.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

One last quick question adoral84,

The gun you have, it has a sensor bar for tracking correct, are you using it, or are you just using it like a normal 360 controller with a Hillcrest attached to it, without the use of the sensor bar ?
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

3dvison wrote: The gun you have, it has a sensor bar for tracking correct, are you using it, or are you just using it like a normal 360 controller with a Hillcrest attached to it, without the use of the sensor bar ?
I'm just using the hillcrest mounted to the gun since I'm turning around all the time. I've seen some guys use a stationary sensor bar with a wii in a 360 setup to provide additional calibration data whenever possible, but it hasn't been necessary.

I'm actually looking into doing some simple optical tracking (position only, probably top down to reduce occlusion) using a PS3 eye camera, initially to track head translations but once that's sorted out I want to do weapon position tracking as well. If anyone has experience on something like this I'd love some pointers.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

adoral84 wrote:I'm actually looking into doing some simple optical tracking (position only, probably top down to reduce occlusion) using a PS3 eye camera, initially to track head translations but once that's sorted out I want to do weapon position tracking as well. If anyone has experience on something like this I'd love some pointers.
If you want to track a PS Move with your PS Eye you may have a look here : http://thp.io/2010/psmove/
I've used it and it worked very well for positional tracking, not so much for rotational tracking, very noisy results not really adequate for head tracking.

If you want to use it as a weapon you may also have a look at the PS Move sharp shooter accessory : http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessori ... r-ps3.html
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Fredz wrote:If you want to track a PS Move with your PS Eye you may have a look here : http://thp.io/2010/psmove/
I've used it and it worked very well for positional tracking, not so much for rotational tracking, very noisy results not really adequate for head tracking.

If you want to use it as a weapon you may also have a look at the PS Move sharp shooter accessory : http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessori ... r-ps3.html
Great, thanks for the pointers Fredz. I have a sharpshooter, but motioninjoy was giving me fits (bluescreening when activating the navigator). The physical device is excellent though, especially if I end up doing optical tracking. The PS Move API looked like the best option from the bit of digging I did but it seemed like windows support might be limited, did you have any issues or were you doing mac/linux development?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I was doing Linux development, you can see how it looked like here :
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15994

Support for Windows hasn't been very good, but it's only related to the subpar bluetooth stack implementation on this system which prevents reliable pairing, but the library in itself seems to work without a problem on this system.

Some people have already succeeded in pairing under Windows, and when it works once the controller connects correctly every time. Have a look at the "Windows status" section on this page for an explanation about how to correct pairing issues : http://thp.io/2010/psmove/old_index.html

Also, if you only intend to use positional tracking I guess it won't be a problem since it won't rely on the bluetooth connection. It could also serve as a starting code base if you want to implement positional tracking yourself.
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

... I tried 3 lvds boards and they all went died within ~10 minutes of powering up so I've got a partially assembled one sitting off to the side that I haven't been able to use ...
Did you use the same AC adapter on all 3 boards? On my diy rift (5.6 inch screen, HDMI and VGA board), I was originally using a brick-style AC adapter with the output as 12V 4A max, but some of the components were getting really hot, so I switched it to a PowerLine Universal AC Adapter set to 9V 600mA.
All the tracking including yaw are one to one, but given that you're the first person to use the vireio drivers here's a likely reason. Vireio provides mouse emulation from what I've read, and if that's not disabled somehow your essentially getting the real head tracking yaw updates + the mouse emulation ones. I do allow mouse input to turn the player as well as the gamepad right stick so you can turn around without physically turning in circles. I don't know if vireio has an option to shut off mouse emulation but if not I can add a switch to turn off mouse input.
I had vireio's tracking disabled. With the 250hz hillcrest, all tracking was 2:1. And when looking 90 degrees up or down, the camera would slowly drift back to the horizon. I've since downgraded the firmware back to stock 125hz, and now all tracking is 1:1 and working normally.
I'm surprised that the 250hz firmware was working for you, it caused issues for djdevin but I had planned to add proper support for it this weekend.
Can't wait to try it.

I've been playing a lot of Doom 3 BFG with tmek's tracking code. But the entire game is dark bloody corridors and hell themed levels. And no one's written a guide on how to load custom maps on it.

Most of the hl2 maps that I've found on gamebanana have worked very well with hl2vr. Buggy/jeep maps are really fun (and kinda nauseating when the buggy flips over) because the cockpit view and the head tracking is independent from the vehicle direction. There's a small problem though when accelerating in the buggy, the camera view gets auto "corrected" to face forward, even if my intention is to look outside the driver side window.

I also spent time noclipping around a minecraft themed map, which is really interesting because it gives me an idea of what VR minecraft can potentially look like.

3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Jose wrote:
I've been playing a lot of Doom 3 BFG with tmek's tracking code.
Hi Jose, can I get that code ? Also, is there a how to guide somwhere in the forum, on getting Doom 3 BFG up and running on a DIY Rift with a Hillcrest tracker ?
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Jose wrote:
... I tried 3 lvds boards and they all went died within ~10 minutes of powering up so I've got a partially assembled one sitting off to the side that I haven't been able to use ...
Did you use the same AC adapter on all 3 boards? On my diy rift (5.6 inch screen, HDMI and VGA board), I was originally using a brick-style AC adapter with the output as 12V 4A max, but some of the components were getting really hot, so I switched it to a PowerLine Universal AC Adapter set to 9V 600mA.

I've been playing a lot of Doom 3 BFG with tmek's tracking code. But the entire game is dark bloody corridors and hell themed levels. And no one's written a guide on how to load custom maps on it.

Most of the hl2 maps that I've found on gamebanana have worked very well with hl2vr. Buggy/jeep maps are really fun (and kinda nauseating when the buggy flips over) because the cockpit view and the head tracking is independent from the vehicle direction. There's a small problem though when accelerating in the buggy, the camera view gets auto "corrected" to face forward, even if my intention is to look outside the driver side window.

I also spent time noclipping around a minecraft themed map, which is really interesting because it gives me an idea of what VR minecraft can potentially look like.
Thanks for the pointers, I used a couple of different power adapters for the DIY rifts but they were both 12v and I think 3-4a. I'll order another pair (I have all the parts for 2 aside from the controller boards) and try them with 9V 600mA.

That minecraft map is really cool, I was planning on really highlighting the gravity gun (it's probably the most unique experience w/ separate weapon tracking) in my next video and was actually looking for a minecraft map to use. Not a big minecraft player myself but I could see it being a great early candidate for vr.

I personally think Doom 3 is great but it's definitely all sort of the same thing and not something everyone will want to spend too much vr time in. There's no way I could convince my wife to try doom 3 with this setup but she really enjoyed wandering around eli's lab in HL2.

I'll check out the buggy issues, I haven't done any work directly on it so I'm glad it works at all.
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

Well done so far!
I'll definitely Mention this on my Oculus Blog today (sry it's german).

I'm wondering if this works together with the Cinematic Mod by Fake factory?
I think that will/would look awesome. :mrgreen:

And.. is it possible to convert this Mod to work with other Source games (E.g.. L4D, G-mod, Portal 1/2)? Or is the method you do this very Half life specific?
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Dakor wrote:Well done so far!
I'll definitely Mention this on my Oculus Blog today (sry it's german).

I'm wondering if this works together with the Cinematic Mod by Fake factory?
I think that will/would look awesome. :mrgreen:

And.. is it possible to convert this Mod to work with other Source games (E.g.. L4D, G-mod, Portal 1/2)? Or is the method you do this very Half life specific?
Awesome, thanks Dakor, people seem to have a generally positive reaction to it so far.

The method I'm using isn't specific to HL2 but most of those mods are on different versions of the source engine than the latest one valve has released openly (which was around 2007 with the orange box). I would absolutely love to have something like this in L4D (& 2), it wouldn't take long at all to integrate if I had access to the L4D code but I doubt that'll happen. The same issue exists with portal and counterstrike. Honestly I hope that if enough people are into this valve will do an official integration with all their games.

And as far as I know the Cinematic Mod content should work fine with the mod if you know how to move the files from one mod to the other (you could probably just replace the CM mod's bin folder with my mod's and play it in their mod). That assumes they didn't do any custom coding specific to CM but I think it's all just texture, scene, and map updates.
Bretspot
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bretspot »

I installed this but i cant find it to run it now that it's installed. Did I do something wrong? I don't see it in my games list or on steam.
Congratulations! You're a backer of Among the Sleep by Krillbite Studio
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Bretspot wrote:I installed this but i cant find it to run it now that it's installed. Did I do something wrong? I don't see it in my games list or on steam.
After you install it (and chose your "Steam" folder as the target to install) you'll need to exit and reopen steam for it to show up.
Bretspot
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bretspot »

Ah great, it worked.

I was hoping it had SBS and warping, but I guess not. (Wanted to see how well it would run on my computer).

I guess we will have to use Verio in the meantime.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Bretspot wrote:Ah great, it worked.

I was hoping it had SBS and warping, but I guess not. (Wanted to see how well it would run on my computer).

For now Vireio works well for the SBS and warping, I don't want to spend the time implementing it directly in the engine till I can do it with the official rift apis. Are you running the 250hz firmware for the hillcrest trackers? The version that's posted doesn't yet support that (the one I'm currently testing does).
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

How difficult would this be to setup for someone that isn't too into modding, but can figure stuff out if need be. And also what gun are you using for this? And how easy is it to connect the 360 gun and controller wirelessly to a PC. I dunno if that's a noob question or not, just cause I haven't seen too much mention of that anywhere. I have a wired Razer Onza 360 controller as well, but would prefer to use a wireless 360 controller.

Also the mod looks insane! I can't wait to try it and show it to everyone that I know who's a gamer and everyone who isn't.

EDIT: Just read through the AMA on reddit, and have now added the 360 controller and wireless receiver to my cart. Which Hillcrest tracker are you currently using? And will this be the best option for implementations of this sort since I think Palmer said that the Oculus tracker won't be available for separate purchase.
Last edited by Alkapwn on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bretspot
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bretspot »

adoral84 wrote:
Bretspot wrote:Ah great, it worked.

For now Vireio works well for the SBS and warping, I don't want to spend the time implementing it directly in the engine till I can do it with the official rift apis. Are you running the 250hz firmware for the hillcrest trackers? The version that's posted doesn't yet support that (the one I'm currently testing does).
Nothing yet, just waiting for my Rift was hoping to benchmark HL2.
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

Your video is getting a lot of views hahaha :woot

I tried Black Mesa by copying/replacing client.dll, server.dll, libfreespace.dll but it doesn't really work (as a game) because a lot of the entities are missing, but the opening tram sequence mostly works and is very immersive.

Will you be releasing an update soon? I really want to try the 250hz tracking. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Jose on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

3dvison wrote:
Jose wrote:
I've been playing a lot of Doom 3 BFG with tmek's tracking code.
Hi Jose, can I get that code ? Also, is there a how to guide somwhere in the forum, on getting Doom 3 BFG up and running on a DIY Rift with a Hillcrest tracker ?
tmek posted it here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 206#p92206 -- I downloaded doom 3 bfg source from github, then extracted tmek's files over the source, opened project file in visual studio, chose release branch, built, transferred *.resource files from retail doom 3 bfg over to the base folder in the source folder. I'll write more detail in a new thread in the rift forum.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Jose wrote:Your video is getting a lot of views hahaha :woot

I tried Black Mesa by copying/replacing client.dll, server.dll, libfreespace.dll but it doesn't really work (as a game) because a lot of the entities are missing, but the opening tram sequence mostly works and is very immersive.

Will you be releasing an update soon? I really want to try the 250hz tracking. :mrgreen:
Awesome Jose, that image looks great, I had that same idea but never got around to it. The tram sequence is such an ideal immersion demo for someone not really adept with videogames. The textures in Black Mesa are definitely a step up from the almost 10 year old HL2.

I can release it this evening, I just need to check a few things. I was trying to make the movement speeds a little slower but found a great side effect that the airboat now drives like it has a weedeater motor. I can't even go up small hills :)

I just ordered a YEI 3 space tracker, when the rift comes out it's probably going to be the best tracker to pair with it given it's 1000hz imu mode and magnetometer.

Yeah I was pretty shocked at the uptake there, yet another indicator of how many people out there who are really excited by the potential of VR.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Alkapwn wrote:How difficult would this be to setup for someone that isn't too into modding, but can figure stuff out if need be. And also what gun are you using for this? And how easy is it to connect the 360 gun and controller wirelessly to a PC. I dunno if that's a noob question or not, just cause I haven't seen too much mention of that anywhere. I have a wired Razer Onza 360 controller as well, but would prefer to use a wireless 360 controller.

Also the mod looks insane! I can't wait to try it and show it to everyone that I know who's a gamer and everyone who isn't.

EDIT: Just read through the AMA on reddit, and have now added the 360 controller and wireless receiver to my cart. Which Hillcrest tracker are you currently using? And will this be the best option for implementations of this sort since I think Palmer said that the Oculus tracker won't be available for separate purchase.
Do you have some sort of HMD to use with it? If you don't already the only two options I'd suggest would be waiting for an oculus rift to be available or if you're really adventurous you could try to make your own, one of the members on this forum put together an awesome guide but you'll still need to be somewhat crafty.

http://bitcortex.com/oculus-libre-open- ... ulus-rift/
alekki
Cross Eyed!

Post by alekki »

Awesome, I think this might be the best VR demo available around the time Rift ships, especially if you have a tracker for a gun.

Have you considered supporting Razer Hydra? It would offer 6DOF tracking for the gun, maybe even for the head if you were to mount one on your head. The cool thing is that it has all the buttons and analog sticks you'd expect from a gamepad while offering accurate 6DOF tracking, making it probably the best option for a gun controller and tracker in one package. It's not shaped like a gun like the gun controller you're using but mounting it on a toy gun, Wii/Move gun attachment or something shouldn't be too hard.

Also, do you accept donations? I'll definitely send some money your way as soon as I get my Rift to try this with.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”