Half-Life 2 VR mod with head tracking (download now)

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Re: Half-Life 2 VR mod with head tracking (download now)

Post by mscoder610 »

Apologies if someone's already asked this - how feasible is it to use the Oculus Rift w/ it's tracker for free-look head tracking, but then just use a regular PC mouse for the independent gun aiming?

I'm still trying to decide the most practical control scheme for me, for games like this. I'd think if I'm playing any game that doesn't have the gun decoupled from the camera, just the Rift + a mouse would be fine (since I could turn 180 degrees with the mouse / adjust as needed).

But if the Rift covers head tracking, and a mouse covers only gun aiming, then I'm not sure the easiest way to turn 180 degrees in game then.
Randomoneh
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Randomoneh »

First time I'm seeing this, so awesome.

I just hope precision is very high.
This member owns things.
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

adoral84 wrote:Do you have some sort of HMD to use with it? If you don't already the only two options I'd suggest would be waiting for an oculus rift to be available or if you're really adventurous you could try to make your own, one of the members on this forum put together an awesome guide but you'll still need to be somewhat crafty.

http://bitcortex.com/oculus-libre-open- ... ulus-rift/
I don't have an HMD yet, but I should be getting one of the first Rifts off the line. As soon as I saw the E3 stuff with Carmack I realized the potential immediately and didn't even think twice about jumping in on the pre-kickstarter order. Even though I haven't tried a VR device for way over a decade at some amusement park, I instantly saw the vision and potential of this device. I think some people need to try it to understand how amazing of a game changer it is, and some people just do the math and understand the value and impact it will have.

I want to try and have as much gear, games and setup ready as I can for when the Rift arrives. Since I plan on showing this to everyone, I wanna have as many different demos as I possibly can. And I must say that so far I think yours is the best. Can't wait to try this out! I'm so pumped!
PatimPatam

Post by PatimPatam »

alekki wrote:Have you considered supporting Razer Hydra? It would offer 6DOF tracking for the gun, maybe even for the head if you were to mount one on your head.
+1 on adding 6DOF Razer Hydra support for gun tracking! (if possible)
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

sorry if this was answered elsewhere - I was really impressed by the decoupling of the head tracking / gun aiming - can you post a step by step guide for dummies as to how one might make such a gun?
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Zerofool
Cross Eyed!

Post by Zerofool »

adoral84, thanks a lot for this! When I found out about it, it instantly reminded me of a video I watched few years ago of a VR project (it took me some time to find it), now it's finally within everyone's reach (with some tech skills), well, except for absolute position tracking, but we'll get there eventually ;).

The project I was thinking of was called MetaMersion, but obviously it's dead now :(.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW93K11Jtd8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynAuZWk2aao[/youtube]
nV 3DTV Play, Geo-11, Tridef on 2014 55" Samsung H7000 (aka H7150) @ 1080p60 Checkerboard-3D | Valve Index | RTX 2080Ti, i7-6700K, 32GB 3200CL14, 1+2TB SSDs | Win10 v2004 | DAN A4-SFX | G27
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Two things:

What do you think about the Oculus Rift's 640x800 resolution per eye? Have you tried playing HL2 at that resolution? How about making a video where you show what that would look like?

Have you tried JanVR's hands-free omnidirectional walking solution? You should seriously get in touch with him and show us a video demonstration :)

Thanks, and great job!
rowanunderwood
Cross Eyed!

Post by rowanunderwood »

adoral84 wrote:I just finished my first extended playthrough with the weapon tracking with a proper weapon controller and wanted to share some thoughts. I purchased a top shot elite xbox 360 gun controller that I mounted the tracker on, it detects just like an xbox 360 controller (assuming you have the wireless adapter for your computer) which was nice, although the sticks are set up odd by default, the "right stick" is on the front of the gun and the left is behind the trigger but this was easy to fix in the game configuration. It's nice to get analog movement and plug and play on a decent gun controller, especially compared to my previous setup using a combination of glovepie & motioninjoy with a ps move sharpshooter and the occasional BSoD (motioninjoy).

The drift between trackers isn't too bad, but trackers with magnetometers would obviously be ideal.

I've only got one major thing left to do for the weapon tracking, I'm going to have to redo the view models quite a bit to make them really work with all the various orientations. I noticed that valve explicitly mentioned that in the topics for their GDC talk so it's not that surprising that it's a big chunk of the work. I'm just going to pull the arms off if I can't get them to work, I've found that the brain is much more forgiving about the absence of something expected than seeing something wrong (for example an arm that doesn't look like its going to actually connect with the body).

Brantlew was kind enough to share the plugin he's made for interfacing with freepie to provide tracking data so I'll start work on that this weekend which should open up a lot of options for alternative trackers. If the wiimote works well I may switch over to that myself to have one less cord, although with 15ft cables running over a hook on the ceiling it's only occasionally an issue. I also find myself using the thumbstick to turn in scenarios where you'd immediately wrap yourself up like going up stairwells etc.

Here's a link to the gun controller in case anyone is interested...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FD ... 02_s00_i01
Here is a cheaper link :)) while it lasts . . .

http://www.amazon.com/Cabelas-Survival- ... roduct_top
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

I'm not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but how are you powering the Hillcrest that's on the gun? They're USB powered right?
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Alkapwn wrote:I'm not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but how are you powering the Hillcrest that's on the gun? They're USB powered right?
There's a thin long usb cable running to it. I'd try a wireless version but for now I'm trying to get the absolute best latency to see just how accurate the setup can be (plus I'm just using a hillcrest I pulled off of one of my DIY rifts).
superbike81
Cross Eyed!

Post by superbike81 »

Just saw your latest video linked on the Oculus VR Facebook page and this is amazing. This will get me back into FPS games for sure.

I read over the thread and I see that you are going to be working with a newer tracker soon so I'll hold off on purchasing the Hillcrest.

HL2 mods have been mentioned a few times on here, but do you think you will be attempting to work with some of the more popular HL2 mods to get them working with this setup?

Ordering my gun now!
Kirito

Post by Kirito »

i cant stop aying this but ur epic vid got over 200k vieuws thats a epic boost for oculus ^^

thanks
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

adoral84: Could you create a video using the native Oculus Rift resolution per eye (640x800)? It sounds very low and yet people who have demoed it have been universally impressed.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Zoide wrote:adoral84: Could you create a video using the native Oculus Rift resolution per eye (640x800)? It sounds very low and yet people who have demoed it have been universally impressed.
Sure but my rift's are both burned out right now and I can't even get in touch with the supplier until I think the 17th because of the chinese holidays. I saw a vid online of the black mesa tram ride, the frame rate isn't ideal but you can get an idea of the rift resolution.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUuKT71hcxU[/youtube]
Kirito wrote:i cant stop aying this but ur epic vid got over 200k vieuws thats a epic boost for oculus ^^
I think as developers get their hands on the kit we'll get a whole wave of cool new VR concepts, the good news is the demand is absolutely there.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

adoral84 wrote:I saw a vid online of the black mesa tram ride, the frame rate isn't ideal but you can get an idea of the rift resolution.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUuKT71hcxU[/youtube]
That actually doesn't look so bad! Of course, the pixelation will be more noticeable when the image covers my whole field of view rather than a small YouTube window, but still... I think I can bear with the dev kit's resolution until the consumer version comes 8-)
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

First off, WOW! Thank you so much for taking the time to make this extremely cool mod, it looks amazing! It was a labor of love I'm sure! I'm very excited to try this out when my dev kit arrives.

A have a few questions with this, I've read most of this thread and haven't found any answers.

Is this mod fully Oculus Rift ready as it stands or do we need to combine this mod with the Vireio Perception drivers? I'm guessing yes, but thought I would ask because I can not get it to run, which leads me to my next question...

I don't have a DIY rift, nor do I have any sort of controller with motion tracking much less a hillcrest taped to a top shot xbox gun, but I wanted to install and fire up the mod just to see what it was like. I installed the mod, and it appears in my steam games list, but when I click play nothing happens (no window then a crash, just absolutley nothing). I have HL2 and episodes 1&2 installed, and the mod installed to the right directory /steam/steamapps/sourcemods/halflife-vr. Not sure what I can do? Is it maybe not launching because I have no controller hooked up?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

excellent work! however there is an immense lag between the 2 views that creates bluriness during motion/turning in the video for BM source- is this due to how the video was recorded and will this be fixed?
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

drgroove101 wrote:First off, WOW! Thank you so much for taking the time to make this extremely cool mod, it looks amazing! It was a labor of love I'm sure! I'm very excited to try this out when my dev kit arrives.

A have a few questions with this, I've read most of this thread and haven't found any answers.

Is this mod fully Oculus Rift ready as it stands or do we need to combine this mod with the Vireio Perception drivers? I'm guessing yes, but thought I would ask because I can not get it to run, which leads me to my next question...

I don't have a DIY rift, nor do I have any sort of controller with motion tracking much less a hillcrest taped to a top shot xbox gun, but I wanted to install and fire up the mod just to see what it was like. I installed the mod, and it appears in my steam games list, but when I click play nothing happens (no window then a crash, just absolutley nothing). I have HL2 and episodes 1&2 installed, and the mod installed to the right directory /steam/steamapps/sourcemods/halflife-vr. Not sure what I can do? Is it maybe not launching because I have no controller hooked up?

The posts on the first page mentioned that SBS / warping aren't included right now, and using Vireio is one way to get that.

The mod launched fine for me without a tracker / Rift. I couldn't do a whole lot in it though - I can hit E to lower the weapon partially, but that's about it. Using the mouse lets me turn left or right, but not aim up or down, which surprised me a little. As I mentioned upthread, I'm hoping to just start with mouse aiming in most games, I think.
Alkapwn
Cross Eyed!

Post by Alkapwn »

I don't think there's any lag between the two sides. I crossed my eyes fully, and then covered up the right side of my right eye and the left side of my left eye and blamo, seamless, slightly blurry, slightly warped, headache potential, stereoscopic 3D as seen through the Rift.

Worth it.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

mscoder610 wrote:
drgroove101 wrote:First off, WOW! Thank you so much for taking the time to make this extremely cool mod, it looks amazing! It was a labor of love I'm sure! I'm very excited to try this out when my dev kit arrives.

The posts on the first page mentioned that SBS / warping aren't included right now, and using Vireio is one way to get that.

The mod launched fine for me without a tracker / Rift. I couldn't do a whole lot in it though - I can hit E to lower the weapon partially, but that's about it. Using the mouse lets me turn left or right, but not aim up or down, which surprised me a little. As I mentioned upthread, I'm hoping to just start with mouse aiming in most games, I think.
If you want to use mouse aim for up/down in addition to yaw I'd probably just use vireio for now with mouse emulation, I've played several games that way before I started this mod and it works well. From all the testing I did with myself and a few others the ability to affect the screen pitch with the mouse (or analog stick) in addition to accurate head tracking was a bit disorienting.

Running this mod without a tracker and rift won't get you much since it's a tracker / headmount integration but if you want the mouse control to return to normal you can run the vr_shutdown command to .. well basically just play HL2 :)
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Alkapwn wrote:I don't think there's any lag between the two sides.
There is one frame lag, Cybereality already explained that it's how the driver has been written.
shot0246.png
shot0368.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

yuriythebest wrote:excellent work! however there is an immense lag between the 2 views that creates bluriness during motion/turning in the video for BM source- is this due to how the video was recorded and will this be fixed?
Hi I'm "riftdev" on youtube, I uploaded that video. The lag is more noticable during combat gameplay when things like debris and antlions are flying around really quick, and when the framerate gets low. This is not a problem with hlvr. This is because of vireio, where (I believe) it renders the first frame for the one eye, then the next frame for the other eye. I think this is the same problem that Emerson's Biclops driver has. See this post: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 086#p75127

Also, I'm on some relatively old hardware, so the low framerate makes it more noticable.
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

adoral84 wrote:If you want to use mouse aim for up/down in addition to yaw I'd probably just use vireio for now with mouse emulation, I've played several games that way before I started this mod and it works well. From all the testing I did with myself and a few others the ability to affect the screen pitch with the mouse (or analog stick) in addition to accurate head tracking was a bit disorienting.

Running this mod without a tracker and rift won't get you much since it's a tracker / headmount integration but if you want the mouse control to return to normal you can run the vr_shutdown command to .. well basically just play HL2 :)
Haha, alright thanks for the explanation. This is definitely going to be a slow 2 months until my Rift comes, I can already tell.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

It should at least work like the normal game with no special controller tracker requirements... maybe a reboot or steam restart would help. You may need to have the Source SDK base 2007 installed, I know that's something a lot of people ran into with Black Mesa.
Jose wrote:
yuriythebest wrote:excellent work! however there is an immense lag between the 2 views that creates bluriness during motion/turning in the video for BM source- is this due to how the video was recorded and will this be fixed?
Hi I'm "riftdev" on youtube, I uploaded that video. The lag is more noticable during combat gameplay when things like debris and antlions are flying around really quick, and when the framerate gets low. This is not a problem with hlvr. This is because of vireio, where (I believe) it renders the first frame for the one eye, then the next frame for the other eye. I think this is the same problem that Emerson's Biclops driver has. See this post: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 086#p75127

Also, I'm on some relatively old hardware, so the low framerate makes it more noticable.
Hey Jose, the video looks great, fraps can be pretty hard on a framerate so I'm guessing it's quite a bit smoother when you're just playing. That's interesting about the vireio drivers, another reason framerates are going to be even more important than ever.
davester
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by davester »

:mrgreen: Cool update for Half Life 2 VR. Thank you dude
vietNOM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vietNOM »

Hello sir! what you are doing is amazing first off! :woot

i saw in some other posts you talking bout adding YEI 3-Space Sensor support and then in this one about adding wiimote support. i have purchased the top elite gun to get ready for this which is 20 bucks on toysrus btw if anyone wants to jump in on that.

but my question is which tracker do you think someone should invest in? the YEI 3-Space Sensor seems like the best so far though i could be wrong and figured i would just ask you which one someone should buy to get the best results since i read the hillcrest isn't the fastest on updates.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

vietNOM wrote:Hello sir! what you are doing is amazing first off! :woot

i saw in some other posts you talking bout adding YEI 3-Space Sensor support and then in this one about adding wiimote support. i have purchased the top elite gun to get ready for this which is 20 bucks on toysrus btw if anyone wants to jump in on that.

but my question is which tracker do you think someone should invest in? the YEI 3-Space Sensor seems like the best so far though i could be wrong and figured i would just ask you which one someone should buy to get the best results since i read the hillcrest isn't the fastest on updates.
The hillcrest isn't as fast but honestly at 250hz the responsiveness is actually not really a problem (though I imagine 1000hz is a nice improvement). The bigger issue with the hillcrest is the lack of a magnetometer which means when using two trackers for head and gun tracking you end up with some drift between the to that has to be occasionally corrected. The same issue would occur with just head tracking for cockpit style game with a fixed point of reference.

I haven't gotten the 3-space sensor so I can't say for sure, but if it fixes the drift and reduces the latency by any noticeable I imagine it'll be the better buy even at a higher price. There are other options like the Sparkfun tracker that seem affordable and high quality, but I think you have to do some soldering which is not really my thing.

Speaking of ruining hardware, in addition to my two dead DIY rifts my HMZ is acting up all of the sudden :/ Anyone who knows where I can get an LVDS board (or two) for a DIY rift (the 5.6in LCD listed in the awesome DIY guide put together by Rod Furlan) shoot me a PM, I really don't want to be out of commission on this for the majority of February.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

On a lighter note, several people asked about compatibility with FakeFactory's Cinematic Mod, I tried it out for a bit today with CM 12 and it seems to work great. I just ran the CM 12 full installer and then copied the files in the halflife-vr bin folder into the bin folders under the new CM12 folder.

A couple of caveats:

- I had to turn off Parallax Occlusion Materials in the configurator, the ground in outside areas was glowing bright colors.
- Make sure steam isn't running, not just during install but when running the game. When it was I was getting crashes any time I fired a weapon
- Copy the dlls from the halflife-vr/bin folder into the bin folders under each of the hl2, episodic, and ep2 subfolders, not the bin folder in the root FAKEFACTORY_CM12 folder.

The mod really adds a lot (if you configure it right it'll add way too much for my taste), the improved textures and lighting are really impactful in VR. If you have an older rig I'd probably pass though, it does bump up the system requirements quite a bit. I personally stick with the original character models, some of the new ones (especially Alyx's) are a bit much but I do love the new combine models.
vietNOM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vietNOM »

adoral84 wrote: The hillcrest isn't as fast but honestly at 250hz the responsiveness is actually not really a problem (though I imagine 1000hz is a nice improvement). The bigger issue with the hillcrest is the lack of a magnetometer which means when using two trackers for head and gun tracking you end up with some drift between the to that has to be occasionally corrected. The same issue would occur with just head tracking for cockpit style game with a fixed point of reference.

I haven't gotten the 3-space sensor so I can't say for sure, but if it fixes the drift and reduces the latency by any noticeable I imagine it'll be the better buy even at a higher price. There are other options like the Sparkfun tracker that seem affordable and high quality, but I think you have to do some soldering which is not really my thing.
Thank you for the explanation and for answering my question! i think ill just wait on ordering anything till ya try out the 3-space one and will be watching this thread.
Krisper
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Krisper »

This mod looks fantastic. I have been waiting so long for a game with separate head and weapon tracking. I have been patiently waiting for my Oculus Rift dev kit, but thought I better try this out in the mean time. I have an ST1080 and a Hillcrest tracker as well as a heap of other stuff.

So I just bought HL-2 from Steam, downloaded Halflife-VR 0.7.1 and installed it. I see it in my Steam games list, but when I try to play it, nothing happens. I rebooted, everything, same thing. I haven't played any modded games through Steam before so I don't really know what I am doing. Any ideas?
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Krisper wrote:This mod looks fantastic. I have been waiting so long for a game with separate head and weapon tracking. I have been patiently waiting for my Oculus Rift dev kit, but thought I better try this out in the mean time. I have an ST1080 and a Hillcrest tracker as well as a heap of other stuff.

So I just bought HL-2 from Steam, downloaded Halflife-VR 0.7.1 and installed it. I see it in my Steam games list, but when I try to play it, nothing happens. I rebooted, everything, same thing. I haven't played any modded games through Steam before so I don't really know what I am doing. Any ideas?
Make sure you have the source base and 2007 sdks installed, I'm pretty sure those are necessary. 7.1 is pretty old too and doesn't have any of the weapon tracking by the way. I'm actually about to post the latest tonight. If installing the source sdks doesn't work shoot me an update and I'll take a look.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Here's a new version of the mod which fixes a bunch of issues scattered throughout the game, it should now play through exactly like the original. This version also adds support for weapon tracking and the 250hz hillcrest firmware, in fact it's set to expect that by default. If you're running the original 120hz firmware and the tracking seems off (it may not, I haven't tried it) you should try the following in the console:

vr_freespace_rate 120
vr_freespace_update

If that fixes your issue you can add those commands to the following config file to fix it for subsequent game starts: {mod folder}/cfg/autoexec.cfg

This same config file has a section commented out with all the joystick adjustments necessary to make the top shot elite layout more like an xbox 360 controller if you're doing gun tracking. I didn't put all my bindings in, just the joystick fixes because I want to see what everyone comes up with.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/HLVR/halflife-vr-0.9.2.exe
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Note: Half-Life 2 is available in the Steam "Orange Box" bundle for $19.99 today. I just bought it for that price. That bundle includes other games too, including:

Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Portal
Team Fortress 2
Team Fortress 2 Beta

And my Razer Hydra came with Portal 2. Now I need to install HL2 and try it out with my Hydra (after I figure out how to use it with your HL2 mod).
love2scoot
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by love2scoot »

This is great stuff. I've been following this since you first released a few months ago, and this is now at a point where it is very usable. Thanks for all your effort.

Current setup:
HL2-VR 0.7.1
ST1080
Hillcrest Tracker
Good headphones
Vireio Perception 1.0.4 for side by side 3D
Working on gamepad- currently mouse + keyboard

The logical step it to move this all to a laptop for a full 360deg experience. Has anyone run this on something akin to an Intel 4000 GPU? Will it run @1080p?

A few other questions:
Does the 250Hz hack benefit tracking smoothness tangibly?
Does the new 0.9.2 deal with the exit crash?
Does the L key realign both the head and weapon tracking? Fights the no-magnetometer drift.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

love2scoot wrote:This is great stuff. I've been following this since you first released a few months ago, and this is now at a point where it is very usable. Thanks for all your effort.

Current setup:
HL2-VR 0.7.1
ST1080
Hillcrest Tracker
Good headphones
Vireio Perception 1.0.4 for side by side 3D
Working on gamepad- currently mouse + keyboard

The logical step it to move this all to a laptop for a full 360deg experience. Has anyone run this on something akin to an Intel 4000 GPU? Will it run @1080p?

A few other questions:
Does the 250Hz hack benefit tracking smoothness tangibly?
Does the new 0.9.2 deal with the exit crash?
Does the L key realign both the head and weapon tracking? Fights the no-magnetometer drift.
Thanks, yeah I think you might've been the first person who picked up on it back when it was a really early prototype.

The 250hz definitely helps, I'm not sure how the display latency is on the st1080, I know on the HMZ I have that still seems to be the biggest issue with latency but every bit helps.

The last several versions should've fixed the exit crash, that was a temporary issue but I realize that i left some links to that version through the conversation.

The L key (the vr_calibrate command) does a full pitch/roll/yaw recalibration of both trackers and also recenters them, but this isn't ideal when all you want is to do is correct for yaw drift. For that use the K key which runs vr_center_weapon, but I'd definitely suggest binding the key to something on your gun controller. I've bound it to the push in of the joystick on the back of the gun so it's really easy to reach.
Krisper
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Krisper »

adoral84 wrote:Make sure you have the source base and 2007 sdks installed, I'm pretty sure those are necessary. 7.1 is pretty old too and doesn't have any of the weapon tracking by the way. I'm actually about to post the latest tonight. If installing the source sdks doesn't work shoot me an update and I'll take a look.
Thanks, that got the game working. Haven't had time to try it with tracker and HMD yet, hopefully tomorrow.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

I purchased Half-Life 2 on steam, and my steam client shows "Half-Life VR" too. But when I click "Play" (in the steam client) for Half-Life VR, it does not seem to do anything. I am running win7 x64. What do I need to get this working?

I do NOT have Hillcrest trackers. I was hoping to use my Hydra controllers (probably requiring code changes). Shouldn't Half-Life VR at least report a "Hillcrest Tracker Not Found!" error or something?
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

geekmaster wrote:I purchased Half-Life 2 on steam, and my steam client shows "Half-Life VR" too. But when I click "Play" (in the steam client) for Half-Life VR, it does not seem to do anything. I am running win7 x64. What do I need to get this working?

I do NOT have Hillcrest trackers. I was hoping to use my Hydra controllers (probably requiring code changes). Shouldn't Half-Life VR at least report a "Hillcrest Tracker Not Found!" error or something?
It supports no hillcrest trackers fine and will play like the regular game without them. If the game just does nothing and doesn't start this is because you don't have the source sdk 2007 installed. This is the same problem Krisper had earlier.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

adoral84 wrote:It supports no hillcrest trackers fine and will play like the regular game without them. If the game just does nothing and doesn't start this is because you don't have the source sdk 2007 installed. This is the same problem Krisper had earlier.
Thanks. I see that my Source SDK downloads were paused in my steam client (tools library). Downloading now...

EDIT: Okay, now it launches with Source SDK 2007 installed, but after the Valve splash screen, it makes my multiple monitors blink on and off (with power LED indicating lost sync). It seems to be having trouble with full screen on my primary monitor. I had to "crtl-alt-del" to regain control with Task Manager. Half-Life 2 itself worked fine though, so the problem seems to stem from this mod...

Any suggestions what I should try to get this working?
Mel

Post by Mel »

Hey all. Someone in my city has a PS3 version of the Top Shot Elite for sale for $15. I currently use a PS3 gamepad on my PC using a piece of software called 'DS3 Tool'. Can anyone think of any reason why the Top Shot Elite wouldn't work with DS3 Tool, and if so, would it work for all the fun going on in this thread?

And thanks to adoral84 for all the great work. :)

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”