Half-Life 2 VR mod with head tracking (download now)

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Half-Life 2 VR mod with head tracking (download now)

Post by TheHolyChicken »

adoral84 wrote:
TheHolyChicken wrote:That grenade GUI looks really functional (far better than the one in HL2 normally), but why not let the user actually physically "throw" the grenade using the hydra controller? It seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity!
Yep, that's what I was referring to with
I'll also be switching the secondary attack "lob" to allow actual motion throws using the hydra.
My bad, I managed to overlook that sentence.
adoral84 wrote:I'm allowing both motion throws and normal throws because there are places in the game that require a distance and level of accuracy (taking out snipers for a distance for example) that I don't think I can achieve with motion throws and current hardware, but I think they'll be completely usable and a lot more immersive for most scenarios ( throwing a grenade down a hallway our around a door ).
Sounds great. I completely forgot about the snipers - I think most of us would be doomed if forced to rely on actual throwing accuracy!
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

TheHolyChicken wrote:
adoral84 wrote:I'm allowing both motion throws and normal throws because there are places in the game that require a distance and level of accuracy (taking out snipers for a distance for example) that I don't think I can achieve with motion throws and current hardware, but I think they'll be completely usable and a lot more immersive for most scenarios ( throwing a grenade down a hallway our around a door ).
Sounds great. I completely forgot about the snipers - I think most of us would be doomed if forced to rely on actual throwing accuracy!
Or we would become virtuosi lobbers.
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

Had good session with the new version last night. I love it, the new additions are really nice, from the grenade throwing to the hud placement. Shooting around corners also seems greatly improved.

I bet you get tonnes of requests for new features but I wondered if you had thought about adding (if its even possible) the OS time to the back of the hand HUD elements. It would be a great way to see the real world time without having to alt+tab out of the game and check your other display.

I'll confess, I was late to bed last night I became so immersed I forgot about the real world...

Anyhows - great work! I'm really enjoying this mod. Thank you.
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

CylonSurfer wrote:Had good session with the new version last night. I love it, the new additions are really nice, from the grenade throwing to the hud placement. Shooting around corners also seems greatly improved.

I bet you get tonnes of requests for new features but I wondered if you had thought about adding (if its even possible) the OS time to the back of the hand HUD elements. It would be a great way to see the real world time without having to alt+tab out of the game and check your other display.

I'll confess, I was late to bed last night I became so immersed I forgot about the real world...

Anyhows - great work! I'm really enjoying this mod. Thank you.
It would be a really practical addition, but it would destroy my immersion every time I looked at the watch, so I would like it to be optional if it would ever be implemented.
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

Something hidden, subtle, not in plain sight all the time would do the trick, it would be very useful!

I admit, its an odd request, particularly from a someone who doesn't even wear a watch in the real world. However when immersed in VR I'm finding time in the real world passes at an alarmingly fast rate :cry:
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

adoral84 wrote: Was the latest version you were using 1.1 or one of the source 2007 versions? I haven't seen anything like that, but steam restarts sometimes help with those issues.
Thanks man, i sorted it, didnt like being installed in a different drive to HL2 install, uninstalled it and reinstalled it with HL2 and working now.

Well, youve finally gone and done it, you have absolutely NAILED the config setup for the hydras and works fantastic now, this is the first version ive used where i can load up the game and guarantee the config will be right, well done, fantastic work.

Now i just need to figure out( dont worry lol, not an issue with your mode ) why regular half life 2 has made the visible view through the rift smaller( i.e. all of a sudden in the past week i can see loads of black now around the view rather than it filling the visible area i see, like it has in the past 5 months )
adoral84
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by adoral84 »

I know what you mean, time can really get away from you. I'm sure my wife would appreciate the feature, but if I add anything like that I'll definitely add a convar to disable it.
lmimmfn wrote: Now i just need to figure out( dont worry lol, not an issue with your mode ) why regular half life 2 has made the visible view through the rift smaller( i.e. all of a sudden in the past week i can see loads of black now around the view rather than it filling the visible area i see, like it has in the past 5 months )
Maybe rerun the calibration in TF2 and copy the settings over again? I think mine reset at one point as well.
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

adoral84 wrote:I know what you mean, time can really get away from you. I'm sure my wife would appreciate the feature, but if I add anything like that I'll definitely add a convar to disable it.
lmimmfn wrote: Now i just need to figure out( dont worry lol, not an issue with your mode ) why regular half life 2 has made the visible view through the rift smaller( i.e. all of a sudden in the past week i can see loads of black now around the view rather than it filling the visible area i see, like it has in the past 5 months )
Maybe rerun the calibration in TF2 and copy the settings over again? I think mine reset at one point as well.
aye, will do, need to redo it an mess about a bit, cant wait to get cracking on your mode properly :D
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

I have the same problem. Black lines either side of the screen and just about visible lines top and bottom, the best way to explain it is like looking like an old crt display inside of the rift. I have tried copying over my TF2 setting but nothing seems to change.

Maybe a source engine issue?

I still enjoy the mod immensely, however it would be nice to rid myself of the black boarders.
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

CylonSurfer wrote:I have the same problem. Black lines either side of the screen and just about visible lines top and bottom, the best way to explain it is like looking like an old crt display inside of the rift. I have tried copying over my TF2 setting but nothing seems to change.

Maybe a source engine issue?

I still enjoy the mod immensely, however it would be nice to rid myself of the black boarders.
well i did absolutely everything from trying vr_visualisation_outside/inside etc etc., tried TF2 calibration, gave up and reinstalled, same issue, but i fixed it..........somehow, i set the rez in game back to 1280x800, fullscreen, relaunched the game about 4 times and on the 4th time it worked( rift as extended primary display ).

Spent a good 4 hours sorting it.

Sorry i cant give you exact info on how to fix it because i know at least for me that that black border completely destroys the game.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Wow, sorry you had all the trouble. I'm not currently doing anything special with the rendering stuff so that's all the same as the base HL2 -vr setup but that's some really odd behavior. I'll keep an eye out for things like that but I haven't seen anything like that on any of the computers I've tried it on. When you calibrate in tf2 make sure you're at 1280x800 and not scaled to another resolution or you'll get really terrible results btw.
Ardheim
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ardheim »

How would one go about using only the hydra and not the rift for this?

I make sure no razer hydra or sixense programs are running

I plug in the hydra, then boot up hl2VR, enter mt_control_mode 0, then mt_calibrate. It doesn't work, won't take imput from the hydra.

Someone please point out any errors?
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Unfortunately it doesn't currently work without the rift. It sounds like you covered everything correctly if it did though. I plan on getting non-rift support worked in once I have things like MP and episode 2 ready.
Ardheim
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ardheim »

I see.

Well, looking forwards to it!
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

adoral84 wrote:Wow, sorry you had all the trouble. I'm not currently doing anything special with the rendering stuff so that's all the same as the base HL2 -vr setup but that's some really odd behavior. I'll keep an eye out for things like that but I haven't seen anything like that on any of the computers I've tried it on. When you calibrate in tf2 make sure you're at 1280x800 and not scaled to another resolution or you'll get really terrible results btw.
Ahh no, not at all man, its the HL2 engine that was messing up the visible area( i.e. launching HL2 without mod was the same ), i dont know how it just went like that as i hadnt changed anything other than taking an update, and after loads of messing im not sure how it went back to the way it was.
Aye, i saw that funky behaviour with the calibration in tf2 when i used the wrong aspect ratio, did the calibration with native rift rez alright.

Anyways, hopefully it will stay like that now :)
Linear
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Linear »

adoral84 wrote:Unfortunately it doesn't currently work without the rift. It sounds like you covered everything correctly if it did though. I plan on getting non-rift support worked in once I have things like MP and episode 2 ready.
Good evening ! :)
Thanks for all your hard work, it is really the best mod for VR projects ever !
I'am IK animator and understand how significant and amazing your progress !
The only thing - may I ask you older revisions of halflife-vr mod ? I mean 1.0.5 and 1.0.7, because I can afford Oculus Rift only in next year, and now trying to test this mod with Hydra only and monitor. Oldest revisions are unavailable anywhere right now.
Also - I'm testing and tweaking Hydra's hardware, here is what I found out:
- when putting together both left and right Hydra controllers - sometimes base loosing right detection order and swaps controllers, but if some another wireless controllers nearby - the chance of error with swapping hydras increasing 40%
- if inserting wireless receiver (2.4GHz mouse, keyboard, e.t.c) - base sometimes disconnects and loosing controllers.
- if attach ferrite ring to base's cord - it helps a little, but I'm not sure, still testing.
[ The man will die, but not his ideas ! ]
Ashok
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ashok »

Linear wrote:- if attach ferrite ring to base's cord - it helps a little, but I'm not sure, still testing.
Have more insight on this? HL2VR works PERFECTLY for me minus this issue, heh. It's strange, sometimes it works flawless for hours and other times the left and right Hydra controllers seem to swap with the base within a few minutes of playing. Usually just swapping them in my hands fixes it which is an easy workaround, but it can be annoying if I already have the left controller secured in my NATHAN gel waist pack. And so far I can't seem to fit any pattern to what causes them to swap.
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

There's a console variable that I use to flip them if they're already zipped up in the pack, mt_swap_hydras ( or something very close to that ). I've got two hydras and two computers and haven't had issues with swapping aside from starting them off the base, but then the build quality on the hydras is bad enough it's not really surprising that others see different behavior. I dropped one off my desk and the r2 button stopped working, and then dropped it again a week later and it fixed it :)
Linear
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Linear »

I've managed to improve a little stability of my hydras, but it is not so optimal as it sounds:
- First, I've disabled any wireless devices, such as WiFi, Blutooth, wireless mouse and keyboard, and attached long ferrite rings from sony adapters to Hydra's base USB cord and my PC's power supply cord. Looks like it helped somehow - I only get swap problems2 times in the whole day after that manipulations.
- Second - I've increased voltage to base's coil - it gives perfect stability and no swapping issues, but after two days of that pervertion - my base's stop working :) So right now I've bought another one :) (it is good that Hydra controllers pack have an affordable price)
Right now - I'm waiting for the newest HLVR version with Hydra only support, or oldest version... I don't have the Rift, but want to test this experience with 1:1 gun control by the Hydras...
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

Linear wrote:I've managed to improve a little stability of my hydras, but it is not so optimal as it sounds:
- First, I've disabled any wireless devices, such as WiFi, Blutooth, wireless mouse and keyboard, and attached long ferrite rings from sony adapters to Hydra's base USB cord and my PC's power supply cord. Looks like it helped somehow - I only get swap problems2 times in the whole day after that manipulations.
- Second - I've increased voltage to base's coil - it gives perfect stability and no swapping issues, but after two days of that pervertion - my base's stop working :) So right now I've bought another one :) (it is good that Hydra controllers pack have an affordable price)
Right now - I'm waiting for the newest HLVR version with Hydra only support, or oldest version... I don't have the Rift, but want to test this experience with 1:1 gun control by the Hydras...

I would guess some components got burned out. If you can see or smell or measure what components fail you might want to swap them for different specced components :P But its probably a lost cause, seeing STEM is coming next year.
Linear
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Linear »

Is this project alive ? Or it is dead ? :oops:
TheVividLight
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheVividLight »

Heh. Trying to get this working with all the same settings from the website, minus the hydra. Just a YEI attached to a sharpshooter + Oculus.

Has anyone had any luck with this? I can only get my YEI to track when I'm facing in the general direction of my computer monitor (all the tracker orientation data in the YEI application suite looks good though).

Lol... tonight will be a long night figuring out what is wrong with my settings. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

Linear wrote:Is this project alive ? Or it is dead ? :oops:
No this project is not dead, the latest change in git was 18 hours ago. Compiled updates for end users are rolled out as soon as there is sufficient new content that has been tested out for bugs :)
TheVividLight wrote:Heh. Trying to get this working with all the same settings from the website, minus the hydra. Just a YEI attached to a sharpshooter + Oculus.

Has anyone had any luck with this? I can only get my YEI to track when I'm facing in the general direction of my computer monitor (all the tracker orientation data in the YEI application suite looks good though).

Lol... tonight will be a long night figuring out what is wrong with my settings. Any advice would be much appreciated!
AFAIK this is no longer supported since the previous major release, If you don't like or can't get a hydra, I suggest waiting for STEM.
TheVividLight
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheVividLight »

Ziggurat wrote:AFAIK this is no longer supported since the previous major release, If you don't like or can't get a hydra, I suggest waiting for STEM.
I started realizing that last night. Thanks for your help Ziggs. I have tried finding the older released version with the YEI sensor still implemented, does anyone have a working link? I have scoured reddit and google and all the links I have found are dead unfortunately.

I tried all night to implement a single-YEI pointing device, but according to YEI support I'll need 2 YEI sensors to have a full 360 degree mouse/pointing device (so I have a consistent reference point). Sad day. I'm now interested in finding the older version of the Half-Life VR setup to try out the new sensor I have -- while I save up to get the 2nd sensor. The second sensor will not be all in vein though, since I will probably be able to implement it into several games with independent aiming and head movement (I suspect these will continue to trickle out).

I'm pretty new to C/C# but this has been the best way/goal of learning a new language so far that I've found! Thank God for MTBS and the community here, I've never been more inspired by a forum community!

With that being said, has anyone really discovered a way to have a single YEI sensor as a pointing device or attached to a head mounted display with a 360 degree turning radius, or would they indeed be correct in saying that I need a second sensor?
Linear
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Linear »

"No this project is not dead, the latest change in git was 18 hours ago. Compiled updates for end users are rolled out as soon as there is sufficient new content that has been tested out for bugs :)"
- Where are you looking for GIT changes man ?) Can you give a link ?) I'm very interested in all changelogs...
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Does this mod support multiplayer yet?
RoadKillGrill
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoadKillGrill »

TheVividLight wrote:With that being said, has anyone really discovered a way to have a single YEI sensor as a pointing device or attached to a head mounted display with a 360 degree turning radius
I just tried it out this weekend and using the 3-Space Sensor and FreePIE got pretty good results. I used standard Half-life 2 with the -vr flag for Oculus support.
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 22#p147622
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

Linear wrote:"No this project is not dead, the latest change in git was 18 hours ago. Compiled updates for end users are rolled out as soon as there is sufficient new content that has been tested out for bugs :)"
- Where are you looking for GIT changes man ?) Can you give a link ?) I'm very interested in all changelogs...
The project isn't dead, holidays just tend to be a really busy time of year both with work and friends/family.

The change logs got smashed a bit within the last couple of weeks as I just copied all my code back onto a fresh fork of the latest version of the Source SDK because they'd done several rounds of line-ending commits that destroyed my ability to merge. You can see the git history in the repo referenced above, or just for fun:

New active repo: http://starlogs.net/#nandrews0424/halflife2-vr
Active repo up to about a week ago: http://starlogs.net/#nandrews0424/halflife-vr
Linear
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Linear »

OMG !)))
It is really going to be awesome !)))
Thank you for creating this unbelievable mod ! It IS TRULY NextGen experience, which the previous generation could only dream about !
HalfLife2 having a new life with that kind of gameplay.
You guys are VR Heroes !!!
( I believe that if in future will be possible to make similar VR mods to games like Crysis1, Left4Dead, Fallout 3, Bioshock or any other classic AAA games - those VRmodded games will be more interesting and "NextGenish" than any currently upcoming AAA titles)
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

Linear wrote:OMG !)))
It is really going to be awesome !)))
Thank you for creating this unbelievable mod ! It IS TRULY NextGen experience, which the previous generation could only dream about !
HalfLife2 having a new life with that kind of gameplay.
You guys are VR Heroes !!!
( I believe that if in future will be possible to make similar VR mods to games like Crysis1, Left4Dead, Fallout 3, Bioshock or any other classic AAA games - those VRmodded games will be more interesting and "NextGenish" than any currently upcoming AAA titles)
Half Life 2 is especially good for a mod such as this, because of the extensive Soruce SDK possibilities, and updates regarding native Oculus support. Half Life 2 is a very good example of a game that can be modified for Virtual Reality to make an exceptionally novel experience, as well as learn what works and what does not work in VR. The rule of thumb however is that while modifying existing games to VR might make for a cool experience it will never compare to what can be achieved creating a game that is designed for VR. To paraphrase Palmer Luckey its more like porting Streetfighter to a 5" touch screen.

Left4Dead is not compatible with the Soruce SDK, though it practically runs on the same but modified engine.

Bioshock I don't know so much about. But I don't think its easy to do it well, and low latency like the HL2

Fallout 3's modding capabilities fall a bit short here, The Construction Kit is awesome but wont do alone. Using VR drivers + Script Extender is the way to go for this, but I personally have not been able to load them at the same time (have not tried more than a little though). After this is done you could be able to, but it would require a far bit of work, and wont ever be as good as HL2 which is practically open source compared to this. There is a thread about razer hydra support for Skyrim in these forums, I think it was abandoned. But its only a good start.

Crysis 1 is practical but don't expect anything anytime soon.
Linear
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Linear »

Yes, Half Life 2 is a perfect game for VR, and HLVR is the perfect composition ! :woot And of course HLVR is a lot more cool and incredible game than original HL2...
But about others:
- Left4Dead, looks like it is possible to make similar mod, but developers assist required, because there is no SDK for it as far as I know...
- Bioshock series = all of them based on Unreal engine, and there is two options - ask developer assist to get required files... or disassemble controls input files and make a mod with separate head and gun tracking. There is a lot of open projects based on UDK, so it is possible...
- Crysis1 = Nathan Andrews proved that it is possible, he already did separate head and gun tracking in his demo, without 1:1 gun track however, but it looks very epic too !!! I'd wish they make a CryVR mod for Crysis1 (Crysis 2 and 3 not so interesting)
- Fallout 3 = it is really possible to make similar VR mod. Existing SDK and other tools is enough for it. There was a man who changed models animation to new smooth and real movement in the game... (ReAnimation mod). And there was a lot of modified gun models and item models... So no doubt - it is possible.

The only thing is - this kind of stuff required a team, who will make all this. But, even if someday someone will make VR mods for those games, I will definitely buy it !!! 50$ 100$ whatever ! TriDef and VorpX costs from 25 to 50 $ but only gives headtracking in games without freeaim and other VR features... :(
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Long time since any news now, this has so much potential : D
Hope its still being worked on : )
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

AFAIK 1.3 is in the works with motion controlled reloading and Episode 2 support :D I haven't actually played Ep2 so I'm looking forward to it like mad!

Teaser #1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXDDeda7Y7M
Teaser #2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfdBm_3x89c
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Nice! : D
Still waiting for my STEMs... : )
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

I loaded up HL VR after not playing in a while and it no longer seems to work. Has anyone else had this issue? I notice there is now a "Activate VR" button on the main menu which I'm sure must have been added after an official HL2 update, but clicking it does nothing and the mod itself does not enable the rift warping etc.
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

WormSlayer posted something to try if the VR isn't working over on Reddit -
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... in_to_the/
Seems Valve have been shuffling the beta's around, and you can fix the broken main menu and stuff in 1.3 beta, by changing from the "upcoming -" to "Steam VR Beta".
(That would be done here: Steam > Library > Tools, Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer, right click, Properties)
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

mscoder610 wrote:WormSlayer posted something to try if the VR isn't working over on Reddit -
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... in_to_the/
Seems Valve have been shuffling the beta's around, and you can fix the broken main menu and stuff in 1.3 beta, by changing from the "upcoming -" to "Steam VR Beta".
(That would be done here: Steam > Library > Tools, Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer, right click, Properties)
Thanks, I gave it a try but half-life VR still doesn't kick in. The game boots to a Window, not full screen as it used too and has the option for "Activate Virtual Reality", when clicked it does nothing. I checked the console and see the error "Command: Activate_VR Not Found" (or something to that effect).

I've tried deleting and then reinstalling the mod but nothing seems to fix it.
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

Is there any chance the Leap Motion might be supported now that it has a VR mount and a new SDK?
Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

Got a Leap Motion, experimented with it... I take that back :) Waste of time (unless you consider it to be an early R&D prototype)
Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”