Is there a way to render in correct aspect ratio?

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
archeria
One Eyed Hopeful

Is there a way to render in correct aspect ratio?

Post by archeria »

I just tried Vireio with Skyrim, Side-by-Side and the image was pretty badly stretched. I read a bit and found out I can fix it by using the Oculus mode. But it still looks kinda unsharp, like if it was stretched via post-processing. There is too much magic going on in the .fx file for me to tell for sure tho. The main reason I switched to Vireio is that Tridef has unfixable stretching and requires stretching it back with SweetFx which makes it - just like here - unsharp.
Is there any way to render it correctly? I currently have a 2560x1440 DIY HMD. Can I somehow tell Vireio to render 2560x1440 two times for both eyes and just cut the sides off so the center would stay sharp? I could fix this easily by just setting the ingame fov higher. Also, performance is currently no issue for this situation. I just want to know if it's possible.
archeria
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Is there a way to render in correct aspect ratio?

Post by archeria »

So, I think I found a fix for at least some games.
1. Set game to window mode
2. Set height to 2 x your monitor height (2880 on a 2560x1440 monitor)
3. Get some kind of borderless windowed fullscreen application (not everyone works for any game, Fakefullscreen for Skyrim; WindowedBorderlessGaming for Crysis)
4. Force the giant window to be downscaled to your monitor.
As a nice sideeffect the picture also gets crispier.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”