Looking for general assistance with Trinus/Perception

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
TimeDivided
One Eyed Hopeful

Looking for general assistance with Trinus/Perception

Post by TimeDivided »

Hi Folks,

New to VR here, and trying to get a basic setup that works with my gear. I've read the forum rules and FAQ, and still seem to be struggling to get up and running. Here's my specs

Computer is a Lenovo idea pad
Intel Core i7 2.40 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce Graphics
8GB RAM
Windows 10
(Under powered for the Rift, I am fully aware)

for VR I am using
Pop-Tech HMD
Droid Turbo (stock 5.1 Lollipop)
Trinus VR over tethered USB

So I've toyed around with a few of my steam games (namely portal, portal 2, skyrim, bioshock 1 and 2, and fallout 3), and can always seem to get something "close but no cigar". And as best I can tell I am running up against 2 sets of calibration issues (Trinus, and then Perception) this leads to several problems including:

-Blurred vision that doesn't quite converge
-A correctly converged image that is cropped along the right side (I can sometimes correct this in Trinus using "zoom" but results are inconsistent across different games and even between sessions of the same game)
-while the game looks fine using trinus alone, with perception activated I get aspect ratio distortion, specifically a vertical stretch (for example in the starting room of portal 2, the picture frame that should look rectangular looks closer to a square, doorways are tall and thin, the circular portal logo on load screens is vertically elongated, etc).

I know this is a pretty big laundry list to dump as the first post on a forum, but I'm not looking for someone to fix them all for me (though solutions are certainly welcome). I'm looking more for what my general setup process should be, or where besides the FAQ I can be researching these issues on my own.

-Should I be calibrating Trinus or Perception first? Is there a way in Perceptions settings to adjust aspect ratio?

-Trinus recommends lower resolutions and 4:3 or 8:9 aspect ratios for better FPS/fit to screen, but I constantly see perception recommending 1920x1080 in support documentation. can anyone clarify?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

TD
utuki
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Looking for general assistance with Trinus/Perception

Post by utuki »

TimeDivided wrote:Hi Folks,
-Blurred vision that doesn't quite converge
If your hmd lenses are focused right it is probably trinus auto reducing resolution and quality to maintain framerate. Moonlight/limelight usually provides much better perfomance if you can run it.
TimeDivided wrote: -A correctly converged image that is cropped along the right side (I can sometimes correct this in Trinus using "zoom" but results are inconsistent across different games and even between sessions of the same game)
-while the game looks fine using trinus alone, with perception activated I get aspect ratio distortion, specifically a vertical stretch (for example in the starting room of portal 2, the picture frame that should look rectangular looks closer to a square, doorways are tall and thin, the circular portal logo on load screens is vertically elongated, etc).
You can configure vireio image aspect ratio, zoom, position and distortion in fx/sidebysiderift.fx. I did notice random zoom and ar changes in vireio sometimes in the past i think ? Seemed to run stable after i adjusted config for my hmd.
TimeDivided wrote: -Trinus recommends lower resolutions and 4:3 or 8:9 aspect ratios for better FPS/fit to screen, but I constantly see perception recommending 1920x1080 in support documentation. can anyone clarify?
TD
Trinus recommendation is for streaming with its builtin codec to smartphones and it doubles image in fake 3d mode so high res is pointless and ar should be as vertical as game supports. Vireio one is for 1080p hmd's and it attempts to fix games to properly run in vertical ar automatically i think ? Or if not then 5:4 1080p and manual diyrift image config would be better.
asprind
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Looking for general assistance with Trinus/Perception

Post by asprind »

Try turning off the lens correction option in the Trinus android app and use Vireio's settings instead. Also, read this guide: http://www.mtbs3d.com/articles/editoria ... imitstart=

the actual instructions start on page 4.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”