DirectX 11/12 and the future of Vireio

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
dirtythekid
One Eyed Hopeful

DirectX 11/12 and the future of Vireio

Post by dirtythekid »

I searched around and couldn't really find anything that lead me to believe there was any plan to implement DX11^, so I was wondering if Vireio is going to be used for strictly retrofitting old games for VR, or if it's going to try and keep up with the modern frameworks.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: DirectX 11/12 and the future of Vireio

Post by cybereality »

I don't think it's out of the question to support newer versions of DirectX. Writing the proxy/pass-through DLL is probably the easier part (albeit a long and boring one). Basically all this amounts to is copying the function signatures from the API (taken from the header files, for example) and having them call your modified functions instead. I did this for DX9 in about 2 days. I believe that newer API's (like DX12) have even less functions in them, so it could even be easier.

The real meat of the work would be in coding how the modified functions work, as this could potentially be very different going between APIs (for example, from DX11 -> DX12). I haven't even seen the DX12 API or any demos written with it (so I won't really speculate). But DX9 -> DX11 is very different. I mean, I guess the concepts are similar, it would just require some rethinking of how it works. So not impossible, but maybe not an easy thing either.

I kind of question if the method used in Vireio is maybe not the right approach. Other 3D drivers seem to have good support with unknown or unreleased games on a basic level. Of course there are always issues with shadows and post-effects (even on the Nvidia 3D Vision) but it doesn't just crash games. So I think really the Vireio developers should look into better stability and compatibility with different games. I'm not knocking their work, some of the games now have great support (I played Bioshock 2 on the Rift and it almost seemed like a native experience). But other drivers sport support for 100's of games, so clearly their approach is more stable. Maybe a major rewrite for DX11/12 would help kick off this effort.
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

There is news on this front, just none that we can currently talk about. I certainly hear where you are coming from CyberReality about the injection. its one part of the system that hasn't been touched for a long time. There have been situations where this was going to be replaced but for one reason or another never reached a release candidate. However our future plans are looking bright and that hopefully includes dx10 / 11 / 12
maaboo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by maaboo »

Any ideas of when? I mean not exact date but rather a range where we can see the light in the end of tunnel.

Six months? More?
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Let's just say we are closer. Sorry I would like to give more details but best to say something concrete when we have something concrete. However be assured that it is the goal to add dx 10/11 support in a future release. As soon as we know for sure this is working we will let everyone know.
costersall
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by costersall »

This is awesome news, I always wondered if it would be possible or not. Thanks for all the hard work. I have always liked Vireio over vorpX as it seems to be much better at the zoomed in to much "issue".
grumotz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by grumotz »

Vireio really is no better than vorpx in zoom.
The problem is that usually comes with vorpx fov zoom settings and default or standard, and this must be configured by the user, but most people seem to understand that part cost.
In fact, vireio has intention of adding new option to push more fov the maximum allowed by the game, these settings since last longer had vorpx, along with other options.

The best part of vireio are the default settings and tool vr boost prepared so that even a child of three years to set up games :)
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

http://www.mtbs3d.com/articles/news/147 ... -11-output

Still much, much work left but we get closer ;-)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Nice.
ghettocat2007
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ghettocat2007 »

This is very interesting AND EXCITING !!!!! :woot
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Ok... here we have a first Bioshock Infinity stereo video. :D

[youtube-hd]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHpr_of ... e=youtu.be[/youtube-hd]

Work-in-progress thread on the oculus forums:

https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=27095
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Great job!
Bluedeath
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bluedeath »

SUPERCOOL will it work with homemade HMDs and head trackers?
Hstreet
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hstreet »

Can't wait for this.. Love Vireio's work :-)
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

Hi,

will be possible that new DX11 compatible Vireio will work with this amazing piece of software (DX7 to DX11 wrapper) https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... 3d-vision/

wrapper is here as dg voodoo 2 : http://dege.freeweb.hu/

My old DX7 game is with it working with NVidia 3D vision in 3D stereo ! Would be possible with new vireio driver to use this wrapper (transfer DX7 game Condor soaring simulator to DX11 with wrapper and then vireio ?). Or it is planned DX7 suppport? Thx a lot
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

Bluedeath wrote:SUPERCOOL will it work with homemade HMDs and head trackers?
For the new architecture of the Driver it should be easy to support any tracker or HMD.
Hornet wrote: Would be possible with new vireio driver to use this wrapper (transfer DX7 game Condor soaring simulator to DX11 with wrapper and then vireio ?). Or it is planned DX7 suppport? Thx a lot
We currently work to stabilize the new architecture. It depends on how a DX7->DX11 wrapper works wether this would work with Vireio or not. We can think about DX7 support whenever this is finished now.
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

Thanks, this would be amazing ! Hope to see Condor soaring simulator in Rift!
beatet
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by beatet »

First of all , thank you so much for your hard work with vireio.
You`ll be very busy but I´d would like to know ( if it´s possible) more or less the next release date of the wrapper.

If not, it´s ok. I´ll be waiting :D
EisernSchild

Post by EisernSchild »

beatet wrote:You`ll be very busy but I´d would like to know ( if it´s possible) more or less the next release date of the wrapper.
Hi beatet !

I guess you do not mean the wrapper we talked about. That is not our Software.

Vireio Perception is not actually a wrapper but a VR-Driver or Emulator, but it wraps the Direct3D device. So, in case, you can call it a wrapper.

For the new architecture of the driver including DX11 support we currently cannot guarantee a release date. We face troubles or crashes with this and that game so we work to fully stabilize the core of the driver. Thanks for your patience !
beatet
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by beatet »

EisernSchild wrote:
beatet wrote:You`ll be very busy but I´d would like to know ( if it´s possible) more or less the next release date of the wrapper.
Hi beatet !

I guess you do not mean the wrapper we talked about. That is not our Software.

Vireio Perception is not actually a wrapper but a VR-Driver or Emulator, but it wraps the Direct3D device. So, in case, you can call it a wrapper.

For the new architecture of the driver including DX11 support we currently cannot guarantee a release date. We face troubles or crashes with this and that game so we work to fully stabilize the core of the driver. Thanks for your patience !
Ok . Thanks for the answer ;)

Return to “Development / General Discussion”