MTBS' VR Settings Guide

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

MTBS' VR Settings Guide

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

If you are using the Vireio Perception drivers (or alternative that supports TRUE stereoscopic 3D rendering) with the Oculus Rift or a similar head mounted display, we strongly recommend you read this settings guide first:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=77

This will give you a fundamental understanding of how stereoscopic 3D works with a head mounted display, and give you step by step instructions on how to get the best visual results without causing eyestrain.

It's a work in progress, so feel free to share your comments and ideas.

Regards,
Neil
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: MTBS' VR Settings Guide

Post by virror »

Great guide!
They really need to find a neat solution to this before VR has a chance of reaching mainstream : /
Jademalo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jademalo »

I read a couple of weeks ago that Oculus were considering making those kind of config options standardized and part of the API.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Yeah, saw that posted somewhere on the devsite, would really help.'

Edit: "Upcoming Features:

- Interpupillary distance configuration utility, API "
Mel
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Mel »

I am unable to perform the calibration steps with my Rift because Virieo's F-key hooking does not work in some (all?) games. At the very least, the F keys do not work for me in Half Life 2 and Dear Esther?

Anyone else have this problem?
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

CHeck the new build in the development thread.

Regards,
Neil
kt9mango
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kt9mango »

Mel wrote:I am unable to perform the calibration steps with my Rift because Virieo's F-key hooking does not work in some (all?) games. At the very least, the F keys do not work for me in Half Life 2 and Dear Esther?

Anyone else have this problem?

I managed to get it working by placing the files in the same dir as the game exe and running VP from there. My only issue has been that head tracking on the Rift does not work :(

EDIT: Head tracking worked after a re-boot. 'shruggs'.
Mattasmack
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mattasmack »

I had a lot of trouble with the first step of calibrating Vireio Perception in the VR Settings Guide, and from the comments on the page it looks like I'm not the only one. When opening one eye at a time and adjusting the red lines in SHOCT, the location that felt 'dead center' was just too uncertain; I could move the lines around quite a bit and still convince myself that they were centered. And without good locations to start with, steps 2-4 don't produce good results. I found a different way to do that first step of adjusting the lines; maybe this will be helpful to someone else as well:

a) Find a location with a plain, visually uninteresting background. I've been trying to use the Perception driver with HL2, and for this calibration I played through until I got out of the train station you start the game in and could look up at the blank sky. Getting close to a blank wall would probably do it too.

b) Activate SHOCT and move the vertical red lines to more-or-less the center of your view -- but don't worry about placing them precisely yet.

c) With the blank background in your view, try to focus on the line. If you can't, move the lines closer together (move the left-eye line right with 2 and/or move the right-eye line left with 4) until you are able to focus on it. When the lines are close enough you'll be able to make the two lines become a single line in front of you in your vision.

d) You should find that by nudging the lines closer together (by tapping 2 or 4), the line appears to come closer to you. By nudging the lines further apart (tap 1 or 5) it appears to move further away. Nudge the lines further apart until you can no longer focus on the line. It should happen suddenly; instead of the one line you will suddenly see two again (one in each eye). Right before that happens the line will appear to be at infinite distance. That's what you want -- as close as possible to where you see a single line at infinity, but err on the side of still being able to focus and see a single line.

e) If all the adjustment has moved the lines obviously off-center, shift them both right or left as needed and repeat step d.

As far as I can tell, what's most import in the first step of calibration is that the distance between the two red lines be precisely correct. It's not so important if they're off-center as long as they're reasonably close. For me at least, the above steps get that distance just right. They rely on the fact that I can't make my eyes diverge intentionally, so the dividing line between 'infinite distance' and 'wrong' is sharp.

I suppose this is about the same procedure one would use to set separation without SHOCT, just using some object in the far distance instead. But a bright red one-pixel-wide line is about the ideal object to use.

The adjustments would be easier if the lines moved more slowly -- tapping the keys as briefly as possible still moves the lines a few pixels for me. So it requires a bit of back-and-forth to get them just right.

Hopefully that made sense and is helpful for some.
Frimmi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Frimmi »

I don´t get it. In the Shoc config I have only a red line in the left eye. The left moves with O + P (not CTRL+O/P) like in readme.
How do I get the red line for the right eye?

Thanks!

P.S: Where can I find an explanation of the different trackers in Perception? Sometimes I use shared memory tracker, sometimes Oculus track. What is correct/what the difference? there is noe explanation in the wiki :(
JustJoshin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JustJoshin »

Great guide Neil. Very informative!

As an aside, I would be interested to see how the calculated IPD from the SHOCT tool compares to say the oculus rift IPD calibration tool.
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

I don't think SHOCT is releavant anymore with the new version.
Aside from that I don't believe SHOCT ever calculated your IPD.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”