Development thread (Grandfathered; OLD Vireio Structure)

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
RED
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Development thread

Post by RED »

Though I haven't posted much, I have been reading the Vireio threads daily and I just wanted to thank Cyber, Baristan6, and all others who are contributing to this. I just thought you should know that even though there aren't many people posting, there are probably many more lurkers like me silently cheering you all on. :)
shiva
Cross Eyed!

Post by shiva »

pizzy00 wrote:the graphics are all messed up
same happened to me with the betas and mirror's edge. Works fine with the 1.0.4 though
Canbacon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Canbacon »

I had some troubles with Beta 4 and Mirror's Edge, Beta 8 is amazing. Head tracking and camera placement is great for what can be done with an unsupported game.

For those with the black screen problems, try changing the resolution to 1280x800 while Perception is not loaded. Then make sure the detail is set to low. Reboot the game. Exit and load the game with the Perception launcher running. If it displays correctly, then you can move the detail level up to max.

Again, thank you for the amazing drivers. ME is a definite must for demos.
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

ME is very good with beta 9. it shows a lot of promise for what a true VR parkour game could be. the environments are stunning. some of the jumps are rather thrilling (looking down and jumping across a huge gap earlier made me say OH MY GOD aloud). there is no cumbersome UI to deal with and it works perfect with a 360 gamepad.

the downside? the closer this driver gets the more i realize how much VR specific games and software is needed. this will happen in due time, but that's why these developer kits are out. barry, i know i've given you a lot of props in this thread, but i think you deserve more.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Looks like awesome progress is being made. Nice job!
Marcel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Marcel »

I just tried Dishonored with the Rift. Tracking works fine, but the lens distortion seem off. The world looks 'floaty' when I look around: characters are thinner when they are at the edge of the screen for example. When I look around in the Tuscany demo, I don't have this effect at all (objects have exactly the same size in the center and periphery of the screen).

I compared the distortion between the Tuscany demo and Dishonored with the Vireio driver, and the shape matches perfectly. The green line is the outline of the screen in the Tuscany demo.

Could it be that the distortion is not completely linear (the image is squeezed less at the edges of the screen?)? Or is this because the FOV is not correct? (I had it set to 110 as instructed by the readme text).
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Marcel wrote:I just tried Dishonored with the Rift. Tracking works fine, but the lens distortion seem off. The world looks 'floaty' when I look around: characters are thinner when they are at the edge of the screen for example. When I look around in the Tuscany demo, I don't have this effect at all (objects have exactly the same size in the center and periphery of the screen).

I compared the distortion between the Tuscany demo and Dishonored with the Vireio driver, and the shape matches perfectly. The green line is the outline of the screen in the Tuscany demo.

Could it be that the distortion is not completely linear (the image is squeezed less at the edges of the screen?)? Or is this because the FOV is not correct? (I had it set to 110 as instructed by the readme text).
I'm probably talking over my head here, since I have no precedent on the code. Have you tried running Dishonored with the FOV at 110 but without any distortion applied on the same resolution? How does it look?

I would guess that the problem has something to do about the change in rendering when you apply a greater FOV than the standard 75° used for the game. Usually, with the same resolution, things would get cramped up. Now, if you apply the distortion for the Rift, maybe the change in rendering due to a higher FOV, is overpowering the distortion at the end of the screen. Something along the line. The reach of the Vireo distortion could not be applied all the way to the 110 FOV, but to the standard and then the rest is still rendered cramped up. Do I make some sort of sense?

I hope I was of some help. Please let us know how you end up solving it.
nickanderson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nickanderson »

Anyone else having a problem with the F keys for making adjustments? With beta 9 it seems the F keys do not do anything. Tried in multiple games also.
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

Marcel wrote:Could it be that the distortion is not completely linear (the image is squeezed less at the edges of the screen?)? Or is this because the FOV is not correct?
It is because the aspect ratio is different. Displaying a 1280x800 image on a 640x800 screen causes problems.
We can:
  • lose vertical fov.
    chop off horizontal.
    have a double height screen that warps on roll.
    [\list]

I'm working on a method that doubles the height, but fixes it in the projection matrix. It will stretch the UI, but the rendered content should look normal.

It's undocumented, but F1 / Shift+F1 will change the distortion scale(zooming in/out).
    Vireio will still display extra pixels on the inside because of the partial overlap..
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

nickanderson wrote:Anyone else having a problem with the F keys for making adjustments? With beta 9 it seems the F keys do not do anything. Tried in multiple games also.
The F# keys are a mess.
They move at different rates depending on game and frame rate. They also conflict with games using F# keys.
Will fix this eventually.
adoral84
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by adoral84 »

First off I just want to say thanks for all the awesome work on this project, it's really coming together. I just loaded up L4D intending to do a quick test and ended up playing for about an hour.

L4D works great, but with HL2 the aspect ratio looks off (too short/wide) and I get pretty bad roll skewing with all the same general settings. I am doing the tracking (including roll ) directly in game since I'm doing 1-1 tracking in my mod so maybe that's the problem? I can control the aspect ratio in game if that'd help. Any help would be really appreciated, aside from the head roll/aspect ratio the latest beta 9 drivers seem to work perfectly.

Unfortunately after about a day of working with it and a few email exchanges with some guys from valve I don't think the source SDK has the necessary hooks to directly support the rift rendering properly at this point, so at least for the foreseeable future I'll be using vireio.
XavierMidnight
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by XavierMidnight »

I pulled down the source, and it seems far behind the beta 9 build. Is there a different github link being used now?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The new stuff isn't in the GitHub source yet. It should be very soon though.
Alt.
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Alt. »

Great work!
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

XavierMidnight wrote:I pulled down the source, and it seems far behind the beta 9 build. Is there a different github link being used now?
I haven't been keeping up with uploading the source to Github. Here is the latest beta code.
https://github.com/Baristan6/Perception ... usRiftBeta
K701
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by K701 »

It's been great seeing all the progress happen with this driver, but I can't play any game more than a few seconds without feeling off and shutting it down before I get motion sickness (I had a very bad case of motion sickness trying out Datura with a PS3 and a move attached to the HMZ-T1 , I was so sick I vowed never to let it happen again...) However, I can play TF2 on the Rift for hours and hours and not get sick or even fatigued, even with fast characters, etc.

I'm pretty sure it's because of a lack of IPD setting or adjustment, would playing around with F2/F3 fix this, or is there more to it? It would be nice if eventually you could plug in your IPD number in the cfg file and be done with it.
Neil

Post by Neil »

K701 wrote:It's been great seeing all the progress happen with this driver, but I can't play any game more than a few seconds without feeling off and shutting it down before I get motion sickness (I had a very bad case of motion sickness trying out Datura with a PS3 and a move attached to the HMZ-T1 , I was so sick I vowed never to let it happen again...) However, I can play TF2 on the Rift for hours and hours and not get sick or even fatigued, even with fast characters, etc.

I'm pretty sure it's because of a lack of IPD setting or adjustment, would playing around with F2/F3 fix this, or is there more to it? It would be nice if eventually you could plug in your IPD number in the cfg file and be done with it.

The updated beta is at the beginning of this thread and features the SHOCT feature. What is SHOCT you ask? It's all explained here.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vireio
http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... imitstart=

Regards,
Neil
K701
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by K701 »

Neil wrote:
K701 wrote:It's been great seeing all the progress happen with this driver, but I can't play any game more than a few seconds without feeling off and shutting it down before I get motion sickness (I had a very bad case of motion sickness trying out Datura with a PS3 and a move attached to the HMZ-T1 , I was so sick I vowed never to let it happen again...) However, I can play TF2 on the Rift for hours and hours and not get sick or even fatigued, even with fast characters, etc.

The updated beta is at the beginning of this thread and features the SHOCT feature. What is SHOCT you ask? It's all explained here.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vireio
http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... imitstart=

Regards,
Neil
Great timing! I'll try it out.

Edit: I can't because I have a 10keyless keyboard with no numpad, and alt tabbing to use the soft keyboard messes up the rendering in Vireio. Requesting this to be changed to some other key combination please.
cplr
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cplr »

K701 wrote:Edit: I can't because I have a 10keyless keyboard with no numpad, and alt tabbing to use the soft keyboard messes up the rendering in Vireio. Requesting this to be changed to some other key combination please.
same here - best solution would to be expose the key command settings in the config.xml file that is in the directory structure. maybe it is already possible? i'd love to be able to also switch things away from F5 and F9 for quick save features in games..

I have a general question regarding mouse sensitivity. I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere, but was wondering if there is a sensitivity setting we need to be using for these games? Since the head tracking is mapped to mouse movements, this has a great impact on the experience. A possible solution here is just to state in the instructions "all games should be set to 50% sensitivity", no?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Ok, I will try this new calibration tool and see what I think.

Also, the tracking sensitivity is adjustable with the F8/F9 keys.

Code: Select all

F8 / F9 : Adjust Tracking Yaw.
SHIFT + F8 / F9 : Adjust Tracking Pitch.
CONTROL + F8 / F9 : Adjust Tracking Roll.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Hey, I've spent a couple of hours messing around in Skyrim, but I've got a few questions to do with convergence that I can't personally answer due to not having my rift.

Where exactly is the ideal convergence point for a HMD? Do you have it as close to "you" as possible, so everything is percieved as depth and nothing as pop?

I've tried writing the rest of this post about four times, but I flat out cannot get my head around it. I completely understand convergence and it's effects on a stereoscopic image being projected on a screen. However, I cannot fathom it on a HMD. I've had my finger in front of my eyes focusing on it, a distant object, covering each eye in turn and seeing how my eyes converge, but I can't see how it works on a HMD at all.

Surely the point is incredibly close, since your eyes are never ever converging in front of the rift's screen, and always behind? This means there's never a situation where the right eyes image is to the left and the left eyes image is to the right. I just can't see how convergence affects your eyes when all points are beyond the source of stereoscopy.
Or, is convergence literally just the point where the UI sits with regards to depth?

EDIT: Or, does the stereo image converge on infinity with 0deg of correction, and just straight cameras?
If that is the case, does it work in a completely different manner to standard stereo convergence? (As in, sort of in reverse - where red/cyan shows the left eye the left image and the right eye the right image after the convergence point, does a HMD show them before since there is no convergence?)

Am I along the right lines here?
Last edited by Jademalo on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Jademalo wrote:Hey, I've spent a couple of hours messing around in Skyrim, but I've got a few questions to do with convergence that I can't personally answer due to not having my rift.

Where exactly is the ideal convergence point for a HMD? Do you have it as close to "you" as possible, so everything is percieved as depth and nothing as pop?

I've tried writing the rest of this post about four times, but I flat out cannot get my head around it. I completely understand convergence and it's effects on a stereoscopic image being projected on a screen. However, I cannot fathom it on a HMD. I've had my finger in front of my eyes focusing on it, a distant object, covering each eye in turn and seeing how my eyes converge, but I can't see how it works on a HMD at all.

Surely the point is incredibly close, since your eyes are never ever converging in front of the rift's screen, and always behind? This means there's never a situation where the right eyes image is to the left and the left eyes image is to the right. I just can't see how convergence affects your eyes when all points are beyond the source of stereoscopy.
Or, is convergence literally just the point where the UI sits with regards to depth?

Am I along the right lines here?

This was just released earlier today:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=77

My convergence recommendations are in there (the MAX that I would do), but you can taper it back if it's uncomfortable for you. Note that I recommend converging on a wall, and not incidental twigs and branches.

Regards,
Neil
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Neil wrote:This was just released earlier today:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=77

My convergence recommendations are in there (the MAX that I would do), but you can taper it back if it's uncomfortable for you. Note that I recommend converging on a wall, and not incidental twigs and branches.

Regards,
Neil
Thanks, I've given it a read through but I can't grasp what convergence actually does in a HMD still. I understand it's got a completely different effect though.

Am I right in thinking that you don't technically "converge" the image (Where it crosses over) to the point when you focus on said point during calibration (i.e the table)? is the conversion still miles into the distance, but it's not perfectly paralell and does eventually meet, and that reduces fatigue and means you don't have to cross your eyes as much to see something up close?
Equally, if you have it set to an infinity point, does that closer emulate real life in the same sense that it's painful to focus on your finger if it's right in front of your eyes?
Neil

Post by Neil »

Think of it this way. Put an upright finger in front of your face and gradually bring it closer. Your eyes will point inward as you do this (converge). The closer to your face, the more it converges, the further from your face, the more your eyes will diverge until they are straight ahead.

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule on EXACTLY what that convergence point should be in a game because all our eyes are a little different. However, I recommend starting with what I show in the guide, and taper back (reduce the overlap) if your eyes feel strained when viewing close objects.

Regards,
Neil
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Neil wrote:Think of it this way. Put an upright finger in front of your face and gradually bring it closer. Your eyes will point inward as you do this (converge). The closer to your face, the more it converges, the further from your face, the more your eyes will diverge until they are straight ahead.

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule on EXACTLY what that convergence point should be in a game because all our eyes are a little different. However, I recommend starting with what I show in the guide, and taper back (reduce the overlap) if your eyes feel strained when viewing close objects.

Regards,
Neil
Aha! I think I've got it now. You're just helping your eyes do the converging a bit by turning the cameras by a couple of degrees, you aren't doing it for them by having a visible crossover point. The crossover point of the game cameras is still wildly in the distance, since your eyes are able to do most of it, the extra bit is just to help for comfort on close things!

I really should stop trying to understand concepts like this until I have my rift, lol.
Neil

Post by Neil »

We aren't turning the cameras. That's a no-no.

Convergence is something that is done AFTER the images are captured. Imagine holding two pictures, overlapping them, and pushing them closer and further apart.

Regards,
Neil
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

I thought that was separation :|

I'm now thoroughly and utterly confused.

Bah. =[
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

I just tried beta 10 on HL2 EP2 and hit Shift* (on num keys). I saw the "S.H.O.C.T." title come but no red lines. Other than that this beta looks better than beta 9 I can't pin my finger on why yet.
Check out this forum for a beta driver to get existing games working with the Rift.
Official Vireio Perception Driver Forum http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=141
Support these games on Steam Greenlight them http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92979040
Rig Specs - MS Windows Ultimate, i5 3470, 16 GB RAM, 2x AMD 1GB 5850 HD crossfired, SATA2 HD
Neil

Post by Neil »

Jademalo wrote:I thought that was separation :|

I'm now thoroughly and utterly confused.

Bah. =[

Try this:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=98

This guide is written for 3D displays, but it includes more graphs and videos about convergence.

Regards,
Neil
Neil

Post by Neil »

pizzy00 wrote:I just tried beta 10 on HL2 EP2 and hit Shift* (on num keys). I saw the "S.H.O.C.T." title come but no red lines. Other than that this beta looks better than beta 9 I can't pin my finger on why yet.
Does it work in other games? Are you using the Oculus Rift output?

Regards,
Neil
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Ignore the terrible quality of the image, but tell me if I've got this right.

Separation is the distance between the cameras (Black) from the point where it is actually rendered. The convergence point of those is infinity.
Convergence pushes those images slightly closer together, so that the eyes don't have to turn as much to converge on the close up point.

Is it correct that they're "pushed" closer together, or are they turned to make the focus easier, as below -

Note that the cameras aren't being turned, just the final rendered image.

I really am completely lost =[

EDIT: I've read that guide, and I completely understand how convergence works with a flat surface and no pop out at all. I'm assuming that HMDs are purely the Depth 3D example, but that has no convergence at all. That's why I'm so confused, those all say convergence is there to have a point where things "pop out" when the eyes cross in front of the screen rather than behind. Since it's impossible for the eyes to cross in front of the screen in a HMD, why is any convergence required at all? surely it's just pure depth.

I think what's confusing me is that the whole neutral point thing doesn't seem to apply to HMDs, and because of that I can't see the application of convergence.
Last edited by Jademalo on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

Neil wrote:
pizzy00 wrote:I just tried beta 10 on HL2 EP2 and hit Shift* (on num keys). I saw the "S.H.O.C.T." title come but no red lines. Other than that this beta looks better than beta 9 I can't pin my finger on why yet.
Does it work in other games? Are you using the Oculus Rift output?

Regards,
Neil
Edit: I only tired beta on hl2 ep2 so far. I'll try more games later.

In driver I was using Oculus cropped. Is that what you meant by output?
Check out this forum for a beta driver to get existing games working with the Rift.
Official Vireio Perception Driver Forum http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=141
Support these games on Steam Greenlight them http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92979040
Rig Specs - MS Windows Ultimate, i5 3470, 16 GB RAM, 2x AMD 1GB 5850 HD crossfired, SATA2 HD
Neil

Post by Neil »

pizzy00 wrote:In driver I was using Oculus cropped. Is that what you meant by output?
Try just Oculus, not Oculus Cropped.

Regards,
Neil
Neil

Post by Neil »

Jademalo wrote:Ignore the terrible quality of the image, but tell me if I've got this right.
I'll try to answer your question later. However, I thought you would be pleased to know that you inspired me to try a new idea with SHOCT.

Patience!

Regards,
Neil
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Neil wrote:
Jademalo wrote:Ignore the terrible quality of the image, but tell me if I've got this right.
I'll try to answer your question later. However, I thought you would be pleased to know that you inspired me to try a new idea with SHOCT.

Patience!

Regards,
Neil
Oooh!
Thanks a lot, I really appreciate that you're trying to help me understand this. Sorry for being a pain, there's just very little information out there =[
Neil

Post by Neil »

What matters most is we don't want you to end up like this guy:

http://www.anyclip.com/movies/the-jerk/ ... ews-piece/

Regards,
Neil
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Neil wrote:What matters most is we don't want you to end up like this guy:

http://www.anyclip.com/movies/the-jerk/ ... ews-piece/

Regards,
Neil
Haha, I was confused for a second due to the title of the film, but after watching the clip I had a good chuckle =p
Gonna keep that for future use!
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

Neil wrote:
pizzy00 wrote:In driver I was using Oculus cropped. Is that what you meant by output?
Try just Oculus, not Oculus Cropped.

Regards,
Neil
"S.H.O.C.T." is showing up under Oculus Rift setting. I have been using "Oculus Rift Cropped" for the majority of my testing. Using the Oculus Rift setting on the driver I need to find the best settings. Maybe we should remove or figure out the differences between Oculus vs Oculus Cropped Version, to not confuse people by another setting. More testing needed.

@Neil what have you setting been using during testing?

EDIT: Also what FOV setting have you been using?
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

pizzy00 wrote:I have been using "Oculus Rift Cropped" for the majority of my testing. Using the Oculus Rift setting on the driver I need to find the best settings. Maybe we should remove or figure out the differences between Oculus vs Oculus Cropped Version, to not confuse people by another setting. More testing needed.
Oculus vs Oculus Cropped...
I made cropped for someone before adding the distortion scale adjustment. Cropped is the same as normal but with twice the distortion scale. Plan on removeing it after rewriting the keyboard input, and saveing distortion scale in profiles.xml
pizzy00 wrote:Other than that this beta looks better than beta 9 I can't pin my finger on why yet.
The reason 10 looks better than 9... Neil supplied a profile.xml with his settings.
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

Jademalo wrote:I really should stop trying to understand concepts like this until I have my rift, lol.
I've asked Neil the same questions and have come to the same conclusion.

-Riftless

Return to “Development / General Discussion”