Introducing Vireio Perception (3D Driver for Oculus Rift)

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Introducing Vireio Perception (3D Driver for Oculus Rift

Post by 2EyeGuy »

RangerOne wrote:This is a neat application. I sounds like, since all the imaging splitting and morphing with this is done outside the game application, I could technically modify this to work with a yet unsupported game by simply adding a new profile to Vireio. The only true in game interface that could need to be change are how you chose to integrate head tracking via existing or modify control schemes.

I am interested in trying modify a profile to work with X-Wing Alliance as that game to my recollection allows the user to freely move their head in the cockpit with the mouse, so the OR could add near full immersion. The only problems are foresee are the responsiveness of the tracking and the inability to see the joystick or key board while in game. I was thinking hot keying in some voice commands to fix this with something like a Kinect. That and the game is so old is performance is sketchy on multi core PCs.

Is Vireio up for purchase or download? Or have you switched to taking donations.
X-Wing Alliance is Direct3D 5.2, Vireio Perception (and the other drivers) only support Direct3D 9 (or above).
Fortunately, there is one person on here crazy enough to already be working on a special Direct3D 5 Rift Driver.... Me.

I'm currently getting Wing Commander 1 Kilrathi Edition (the windows version which uses DirectDraw 5) working in my own driver. WC1 uses DirectDraw rather than Direct3D, so don't expect much 3D. It will be more like a life-sized virtual screen at a sensible depth at a fixed point in the void in front of you, and when you turn your head past 45 degrees, that screen will disappear and reappear to your right or left and it will simulate the F2/F3 key to change the view. (The game only allows you to look in 4 fixed directions). Anyway, I'm doing DirectDraw and earlier Direct3D versions with Direct3D 9 calls to make sure it works with the Rift.

I should be able to get games like X-Wing Alliance working in a less-hacky way, since they render in actual 3D. But I'm starting with DirectDraw since early Direct3D versions are built on top of DirectDraw. Then I'll work my way up.
drifter
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by drifter »

2EyeGuy wrote:I should be able to get games like X-Wing Alliance working
You're my hero :)
I finished it again last year, in HD and with the updated models the gfx are still pretty decent.
A bit of fiddling is needed to make it properly run on multi-core and modern GPU, if you need some infos...
A few shots of mine :
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
bizarrobrian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bizarrobrian »

Hi guys, I'm having some trouble getting skyrim to work. I completely uninstalled the 3d vision drivers. It wouldn't work just launching the Perception.exe, even after I changed the exe to run as Administrator. I copied the dll files directly into my Skyrim directory and it looked like it was finally recognizing Vireio but would black screen/error out. Checking the event viewer, I get the following:

Faulting application name: TESV.exe, version: 1.8.151.0, time stamp: 0x5086bed7
Faulting module name: d3d9.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x510b132e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00007cc1
Faulting process id: 0xbf4
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce20670ed39c73
Faulting application path: C:\Games\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\TESV.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Games\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\d3d9.dll
Report Id: 4cd1396d-8c5a-11e2-be6f-08606e81525c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I'm running Windows 8, if that matters at all. Anyone run into similar issues or have this working correctly in Windows 8?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Sorry, bizarrobrian. I wish I had an answer but I really don't know what the issue is.
bizarrobrian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bizarrobrian »

cybereality wrote:Sorry, bizarrobrian. I wish I had an answer but I really don't know what the issue is.
No problem...I'm installing Left 4 Dead now to see if I run into similar issues there.

Edit: Good news...Left 4 Dead runs fine with no issues (I didn't even have to copy the dll files in the directory). So at least I know it's not my OS install or something else running on my machine. I'll try to reinstall Skyrim and give it another shot

Edit 2: Ok, for anyone else having this issue I believe it was a setting in my Skyrim.ini or SkyrimPrefs.ini file. I removed them both and now Vireio works correctly. I'll be going through each of my changes line by line to see which edit caused the issue
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Interesting find. Maybe that will help others.
Arni1984
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Arni1984 »

cybereality wrote:Interesting find. Maybe that will help others.
Hmm ... And I'm a same-changed settings in INI-file! Try reinstalling MIRRORS EDGE! Then I'll write about the results.
Cybereality! When I tested SKYRIM, I discovered that the hand with the weapon on the wrong depth in relation to the world. True, I did not change the FOV in the settings ... So as not working Vsinc.
Arni1984
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Arni1984 »

In general, the driver has earned ... But after I changed the output 3D with RIFT on side by side, when you start the game again issued a black screen! Show only interface. Switch back to RIFT, and all is working again ... (probably prescribe something in the game files ...) :?:
Yes! And more:
- When changing the resolution in the game - there was a crash! :woot
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Changing resolution in the game is not supported. It's mentioned in the readme.
vrvision
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vrvision »

can you make a mac version of this?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Doing something like this for OSX would be a totally different beast. I doubt you could reuse any of the code, since its all very specific to Windows.
vrvision
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vrvision »

Then what if i use crossover or any other windows to OSX programmer, would that work?
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Pablare wrote:http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/6002 this mod looks very promising it would make player head-tracking in skyrim possible
I mean that you could move your head and your hand separately
I think this mod just renders your character model while in first person mode (which, don't get me wrong, is definitely a plus for the rift). Skyrim already has a free-look in first person, if you will, even if it does move your aim as well, looking is independent to body movement already in skyrim.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

vrvision wrote:Then what if i use crossover or any other windows to OSX programmer, would that work?
Honestly never tried it. Somehow I doubt it would work, though.

Give it a shot if you want, I'm just skeptical.
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

vrvision wrote:Then what if i use crossover or any other windows to OSX programmer, would that work?
I tried it in wine (which is the open source foundation crossover is build upon), but is doesn't work because of the way the main program registers the dll override. If there would be a way to use it without that gui tool (only the .ddl file and config files) it should work like other dx injecting tools (Sweetfx, enbseries).
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The DLL can work without the exe running, but only after certain registry keys are sent. One key with the location of the app in order to load the dlls and shader files, and another to indicate which game exe is being loaded. I'm not sure if Wine allows registry keys to be set.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

I guess it would be possible to get this driver to work with Unity games and would the same "profile" work for all games made with Unity?
There is a lot of indie games in the works using Unity, would be cool to be able to play them all on the rift : )
bizarrobrian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bizarrobrian »

cirk2 wrote:
it should work like other dx injecting tools (Sweetfx, enbseries).
Speaking of this, is there anyway to piggy back this driver on top of an existing enb?
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

virror wrote:I guess it would be possible to get this driver to work with Unity games and would the same "profile" work for all games made with Unity?
There is a lot of indie games in the works using Unity, would be cool to be able to play them all on the rift : )
I thought the Rift SDK has already been integrated with the Unity engine?
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
OmniAtlas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OmniAtlas »

FSX (MS Flight Simulator X) support please.

It would make my day!
Mel

Post by Mel »

OmniAtlas wrote:FSX (MS Flight Simulator X) support please.

It would make my day!
You're definitely going to want full upper-body position tracking for FSX. I played it on my DIY HMD, in conjunction with a TrackIR 5, and without the TrackIR giving you the ability to 'zoom in' on the gauges by leaning towards them, they are well nigh unreadable.

And the low rez visuals out the windows were not that appealing.
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

cybereality wrote:The DLL can work without the exe running, but only after certain registry keys are sent. One key with the location of the app in order to load the dlls and shader files, and another to indicate which game exe is being loaded. I'm not sure if Wine allows registry keys to be set.
ah that's why it didn't work in a halfhearted try.
Wine allows registry keys to be set, in fact the "emulation" of the registry including tools is pretty much complete.

I'll dig me into the keys set (I use a win VM for that), maybe I can get it to work.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

mAchiNE wrote:
virror wrote:I guess it would be possible to get this driver to work with Unity games and would the same "profile" work for all games made with Unity?
I thought the Rift SDK has already been integrated with the Unity engine?
Plenty of games made with Unity that wont have Rift support.
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Ok, so in layman terms...

I would need to be able to play a game in 2D @ 1280x800 60FPS in order to be able to play it in 3D acceptably in the Oculus Rift, right?

And once I launch a game with the Vireio, would I have to set it at 1280x800 and the driver will take care of the rest, or at 640x800?
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

yomer wrote:I would need to be able to play a game in 2D @ 1280x800 60FPS in order to be able to play it in 3D acceptably in the Oculus Rift, right?
I've read that ideally you want it to run at 120fps in 2d because when you render in stereo, your actually rendering the game twice, once for the left eye and once for the right eye. However I don't think this is entirely accurate though, and the performance hit is not exactly 50%. On my machine I didn't notice any performance loss, so If you can render 2d at 60+ frames I think you're good. Also you can just fire up the game in Oculus Rift mode and move around and see how your performance is.
yomer wrote:And once I launch a game with the Vireio, would I have to set it at 1280x800 and the driver will take care of the rest, or at 640x800?
Set your game to 1280x800 prior to launching Vireio. Currently Vireio does not support head tracking for the Rift though we have to wait for some awesome smart guy to add this is in before it's useful. It should be easy to add in as all the source code is available, hopefully when someone does they post the latest version here.

Also definitely peruse the readme including with Vireio it has instructions for each game you should follow.
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

Think I have added Oculus tracking to Vireio, but don't have a Rift yet to test it on.

EDIT
It does work.
I used the example from https://developer.oculusvr.com/wiki/ind ... pplication
Here is the source code.
https://github.com/Baristan6/Perception
Last edited by Baristan6 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

Thanks a lot. It seems that I'm good to go at least with HL2. I might go for Dear Esther later on. I would hope that now that Rifts are starting to get delivered, that someone will carry on with Vireio's compatibility.

I was thinking on getting to play with Unity free edition, with the 4 month Pro trial license, but now that Epic has announced integration with the UDK, I might go for it instead.

On one hand, if I get to use Unity and I want proper OR integration, I would have to spend $1,500 for the PRO license; while with UDK, it is said that it's not very suitable for one man projects and has a steeper learning curve. :|

drgroove101 wrote:
yomer wrote:I would need to be able to play a game in 2D @ 1280x800 60FPS in order to be able to play it in 3D acceptably in the Oculus Rift, right?
I've read that ideally you want it to run at 120fps in 2d because when you render in stereo, your actually rendering the game twice, once for the left eye and once for the right eye. However I don't think this is entirely accurate though, and the performance hit is not exactly 50%. On my machine I didn't notice any performance loss, so If you can render 2d at 60+ frames I think you're good. Also you can just fire up the game in Oculus Rift mode and move around and see how your performance is.
yomer wrote:And once I launch a game with the Vireio, would I have to set it at 1280x800 and the driver will take care of the rest, or at 640x800?
Set your game to 1280x800 prior to launching Vireio. Currently Vireio does not support head tracking for the Rift though we have to wait for some awesome smart guy to add this is in before it's useful. It should be easy to add in as all the source code is available, hopefully when someone does they post the latest version here.

Also definitely peruse the readme including with Vireio it has instructions for each game you should follow.
lordvtp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lordvtp »

Got my rift and trying ou the whole list ATM, some things are almost too much (l4d2!) cant set the head tracking to work i'm reading it doesn't work with this quite yet?
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

lordvtp wrote:Got my rift and trying ou the whole list ATM, some things are almost too much (l4d2!) cant set the head tracking to work i'm reading it doesn't work with this quite yet?
Please report on your experiences with the compatible games you own.

BTW, that was a great first impression your wrote about. You've got my respect. It is a great day for you and it will one day be for me. :D
Bad_Karma
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bad_Karma »

lordvtp wrote:Got my rift and trying ou the whole list ATM, some things are almost too much (l4d2!) cant set the head tracking to work i'm reading it doesn't work with this quite yet?

Out of curiosity, approximately which Kickstarter order number was yours? I'm trying to figure out when I'll get my Rift.

I'm certain others are waiting anxiously like I am, wondering when we'll hear a knock on the door!
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

Bad_Karma wrote:Out of curiosity, approximately which Kickstarter order number was yours? I'm trying to figure out when I'll get my Rift.
I'm certain others are waiting anxiously like I am, wondering when we'll hear a knock on the door!
Check this RiftOrder Tracker https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... oTlE#gid=0. Check your email receipt from your preorder and add in your own order # and date of purchase to the mix. Don't worry about adding in the other fields, someone will adjust that for you. I purchased on Jan 16, order # 441xx. At 1500 units being shipped a week, my estimated receiving date is May 24. Ouch! I hope they can ramp it up to like 3k a week!
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

bizarrobrian wrote:
cybereality wrote:Sorry, bizarrobrian. I wish I had an answer but I really don't know what the issue is.
No problem...I'm installing Left 4 Dead now to see if I run into similar issues there.

Edit: Good news...Left 4 Dead runs fine with no issues (I didn't even have to copy the dll files in the directory). So at least I know it's not my OS install or something else running on my machine. I'll try to reinstall Skyrim and give it another shot

Edit 2: Ok, for anyone else having this issue I believe it was a setting in my Skyrim.ini or SkyrimPrefs.ini file. I removed them both and now Vireio works correctly. I'll be going through each of my changes line by line to see which edit caused the issue

That would make sense as Skyrim would re detect and generate new ones and so default to your new drivers not the nivida ones.

UB
UB

Don't try this at home folks....
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

Oculus Tracking now works.

source
https://github.com/Baristan6/Perception

I'll ask Cyber to update the binary at http://www.vireio.com/ if linking to the SDK does not violate the license.
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

baristan6's work is confirmed. i think the convergence and separation is setup for the 5 inch display, since they need tweaks every time i launch it. mirror's edge also works, the tracking is overly sensitive though. 3d and convergence looks great with the default settings though. staring up at the buildings felt incredible. that world will be fun to explore if i can keep myself from puking....
lordvtp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lordvtp »

My Order # was 00397

I'm just south of Portland Oregon so California sourced delivery's are pretty quick. L4d2 was awesome aside from hud/crosshair issues but are to be expected from non native support. I've played FPS's long enough not to require a crosshair anyway. Tf2 refines the experience with it's native support, I imagine the vr mode for source will get transplanted or will be able to be transplanted before too long. Dear Ester was both serene and surreal, the lack of head tracking really hurt it though as the game naturally makes you want to peer at stuff. Lack of head tracking on the actual Rift is really the only fly in ointment so far as you naturally expect it to work and when you move your head in the slightest and it doesn't react your stomach reacts in turn. Will try l4d1 and skyrim today and maybe portal...I pretty much have any game you'd want to play... I Rifted for about 3 1/2 hours last night and that was pretty rough for a first time overall!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@Baristan6: Can you make a pull request to the main repo? I can probably get it merged and uploaded on Monday.
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

Baristan6 wrote:Oculus Tracking now works.
Nice! You're the man!

How is it setup? Mouse emulation only or is it more fancy?
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

drgroove101 wrote:How is it setup? Mouse emulation only or is it more fancy?
It works just like all the other trackers currently do in Vireio.
Roll(if supported by the game) modifies the eye offset matrix, but pitch and yaw send mouse events.
It might be possible to add free look, but any game that culls the polygons before rendering could create bugs.
lordvtp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lordvtp »

Can't wait for the new binary, though strangely enough the crippling feeling of the last chapter of Dear Esther might be aided by the lack of head tracking!
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

does anyone know if the driver is still tuned for 5 inch displays? if so, how can it be modified?

unreal tournament and mirror's edge are super zoomed in, and extra sensitive.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”