Introducing Vireio Perception (3D Driver for Oculus Rift)

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
MaterialDefender
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Introducing Vireio Perception (3D Driver for Oculus Rift

Post by MaterialDefender »

@cyber: I have to admit that I only saw one such movie, as far as I know: Alice in Wonderland, which was produced with the 3d conversion in mind right from the start and was OK for my taste. But I can easily imagine that there are far worse conversions.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Just a friendly thought: would discussion of 2d to 3d video conversion be better off being moved to its own thread?
3Tree
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3Tree »

I'll go make a thread about the device, if someone hasn't already. And sorry to cyber if my post about the device pressured you into going open source with your project or something.

Alright here is the link for the other thread. http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=16126
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I highly doubt your post had anything at all to do with his decisions.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
voliale
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by voliale »

Fredz wrote:They use a depth from motion implementation as part of the process, but I don't think it's anywhere near the complexity of the algorithms used by this technique. In their case it looks a lot more like a simple depth estimation from a panning camera without geometrical knowledge about the scene.

In their video they even don't show it on a filmed scene but on a 3D rendered scene, with only two single shots of blurry depth maps, which makes me seriously doubt they have anything near the sophistication of what I posted.

And by judging the different 3D conversions I've seen, it seems 3D conversion companies are still very far from what is done in the computer vision research field.
Ok, I had a look at the papers in your link and must admit that you were right and I was wrong. :)

First, I assumed yuvsoft did 3D tracking, but apparently they don't. And ACTS not only does it, but has developed a really impressive technique. (They still need to correct for moving/deforming/reflective objects though, and this method probably couldn't be used live or in video games as they need to compare images all over the clip.)

I liked the video where they compare their tracking solution to boujou, quite impressive results.

Think I'll need to check it out. :)
donkaradiablo
Cross Eyed!

Post by donkaradiablo »

Doom 3, Hawken and in due time, Doom 4 of course, will be great with their in-game support for the Rift.

Mirror's Edge and Source engined games (like Portal 2 and Half-Life 2, and Black Mesa) are also on my must try with the Oculus Rift list... So I'm grateful for this Vireio Perception project.

and

This may sound awkward coming from a 33 years old man but... I am a Fallout 3 "virgin". And a Battlefield 3 "virgin". I still haven't played them and I'm still waiting for the Oculus Rift dev kit to experience those two games (in singleplayer) for the first time. I really hope someone integrates support for them :)
Answers
Walking the thin line between Jobs and Kramer
Herod
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Herod »

just saw this driver for the first time, looks great and i want to use it in the future with the rift, but also now on my 3d tv in sbs mode. my 50 dollars is waiting for you, keep up the good work :D
shiva
Cross Eyed!

Post by shiva »

This is awesome, can't wait to try it out
Btw, am I the only one thinking DEAD SPACE ? :mrgreen:
Playing that game on the Rift would be some serious pants shitting experience

Anyway thanks alot for your hard work, but I do agree with everyone, you should definitly set up a donation page, it's not everyday that people work on truly revolutionary gaming software
VFRHawk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VFRHawk »

How about the Eagle Dynamics Flight Sims, DCS A10 & Black Shark, they sound like pretty natural candidates for this. And Evochron Mercenary too..

And I'd definitely be prepared to donate to support development.

Thanks for all your work.

VFRHawk
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Those would all be good with TrackIR.
vrvision
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vrvision »

When are you going to release the driver , and does the driver work with DIY oculus rift ?
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

There is several information through this thread. ;)
The main purpose for the driver is to make a 3d-wrapper specifically and specially for the Rift. Since Cyber decided to make it opensource it means that he is about to release the code free for others to explore and develop (he states at the end of this month but give him some room). I assume that he will probably be around with the coding himself in the future but without the burden of being held liable of the driverfunction. It's free for entusiast to further develop/maintaining and he provides a good starting point for them.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
VFRHawk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VFRHawk »

Surely anything that's good with TrackIR's likely to be a good fit with a Rift?

Euro Truck Sim 2 would be pretty damn good too.

VFRHawk
German

Post by German »

VFRHawk wrote:Surely anything that's good with TrackIR's likely to be a good fit with a Rift?
It depends how much latency the TrackIR has, that's the big thing about making it all work in a way that feels realistic versus feeling drunk.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I should be making a release next week. Just fixing up a few last things, but it seems to be working good now.

The big thing I fixed was the strange distortion when using the roll in Source engine games. Now the roll works like you would expect.

The thing I am still working on is adjustments for the head-tracking. Right now it only works when you have the tracker in one orientation. But I imagine people might mount it in different ways, so I wanted to have some adjustments. Honestly if its going to take too long I will just release it as is, since this is only really an issue with DIY trackers (won't be a problem with the Rift since the tracker is built-in). But if I can fix it quick, then I will try to do so.
Mel

Post by Mel »

German wrote:
VFRHawk wrote:Surely anything that's good with TrackIR's likely to be a good fit with a Rift?
It depends how much latency the TrackIR has, that's the big thing about making it all work in a way that feels realistic versus feeling drunk.
I did/do not have a great experience with my TrackIR 5 pro. I had it mounted on the side of my DIY Rift in such a way as to make the 'dots' easily visible to the sensor across a wide FOV, but it was still quite temperamental. I spent more time worrying about how to move my head so as not upset the TrackIR than paying attention to the game itself, so lag was the least of the worries. Definite immersion-breaker.

It was OK in MS FS-X, but for the FPSes I tried, not so much.
VFRHawk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VFRHawk »

Yes, I had a similar experience with FaceTrackNoIR, great idea, but it seemed to need me to sit unnaturally still and the restricted distance I could turn my head before I couldn't see the screen limited it's utility. Why I have such high hopes for the Rift, especially if support for "non native" games can be made realistic.
Sinsinful
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sinsinful »

This seems like some amazing work your doing cybereality and has actually pushed me to buy a Oculus Rift developer kit purely at the thought someone will be able to make Skyrim work in VR.

I know your most likely busy but I have a few questions if your taking a break from coding and passing the forum maybe you could help enlighten me ;-)

1. Did I pick this up right from the previous post: your designing these drivers for Oculus rift - without a developers headset?

2. If 1 is true how do you test them to make sure they work?

3. How do you get round the HUD elements in the likes of Skyrim and the text in the menus? for example will the likes of the health and stamina bars - will they bend with the screen or distort in any way? Will the text in the menus distort?

4. Will the drivers lead the game to require extra processing power from the cpu or gpu?

5. When you release the drivers next week will they be downloaded from your site?

6. I have no coding knowledge in VR but I'm hopefully going to be able to use tutorials to get some use out of my dev kit. Will your drivers be hard to use in conjunction with the rift for non-coders?

Keep up the great work! Cant wait to test your drivers with my dev kit in a few months :-D
This technology has peeled back a layer to reveal another universe. Virtual reality will grow, just as the telegraph grew to the telephone - as the radio to the TV - it will be everywhere.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hey, Sinsinful!

1) Thats right, I don't have a Rift yet. I am just basing my work on the specs of the hardware.

2) I think it should work, but obviously I will have to test it out when I get my hands on a Rift.

3) I am not doing anything special with the HUD elements. They may be difficult to read if they are on the edge of the screen. However they are being pre-warped like everything else, so distortion should not be a big problem.

4) You will lose about 50% of the performance from running in 2D. So you will want to make sure you can get 120FPS in 2D for this driver to work good in 3D.

5) Yes, the driver will be available for download next week.

6) The software is pretty easy to use, but on some games you may need to load the game a certain way (this is explained in the read me).
Sinsinful
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sinsinful »

Great Stuff Cyber.
Cant wait for my Dev kit to get testing!!!
Fun times ahead this year experimenting with this technology :-D
This technology has peeled back a layer to reveal another universe. Virtual reality will grow, just as the telegraph grew to the telephone - as the radio to the TV - it will be everywhere.
zeroxygen
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zeroxygen »

@cyber

I have done a lot of Windows development, just not any involving Directx/Opengl (yet). I'm looking forward to seeing how all of this is done.

Appreciate you going open source with this. :) I plan to contribute in any way I can.
Grix
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Grix »

Would this possibly work for OpenGL games like Amnesia in the future?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well a lot of the software would have to be rewritten for OpenGL, as its very DirectX specific currently.

But technically its possible, I guess.
Delryn
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Delryn »

cybereality wrote:Well a lot of the software would have to be rewritten for OpenGL, as its very DirectX specific currently.

But technically its possible, I guess.
Would WINE be a solution?
GPU: NVidia GTX 680|CPU: Core i5-2400|RAM: 16gig|SSD: 120GB|HDD: 1.25TB|Liquid Cooled CPU and GPU
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Delryn wrote:Would WINE be a solution?
No, WINE probably wouldn't work because my software is very tied into DirectX on the Windows platform.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Hey Cyber, Between your driver and adoral84 HL-2 Mod, I finally broke down and ordered a Hillcrest for my Diy Rift build...
Can't wait to use your driver Cyber...Thanks for the motivatin to get this Diy done...The real RIFT willl be out at the pace I am going...
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

Grix wrote:Would this possibly work for OpenGL games like Amnesia in the future?
There are some opengl file floating around the web that redirect opengl to D3D9. I use such a file for Quake 3 with the Nvidia Driver.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

cirk2 wrote:
Grix wrote:Would this possibly work for OpenGL games like Amnesia in the future?
There are some opengl file floating around the web that redirect opengl to D3D9. I use such a file for Quake 3 with the Nvidia Driver.
I have this file, if anyone needs it. The problem is that it only works with old OpenGL games, not new ones like Amnesia / Rage. :(
EDIT: here's the file, if anyone is interested:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85022794/opengl32.dll (my dropbox)

You just paste the dll into the same folder as the game executable and bingo, 3D in old openGL games.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Hey cybereality,

My DIY Rift is so very close to being done....Crossed fingers...

How is your release date looking ?
I hope the gremlins are not going after your driver, the way they have with my Diy Rift build...LOL
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The release will be coming very soon.

I think I have the first binary build done, currently working to fix up the project files for the open source-code release.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Great Cyber,
I'll be keeping an oculus out for it.. :)
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

What's crackin, cyber

Can't wait to try the driver. Doom 3 BFG is fun but I really want to try Garry's Mod with my DIY rift.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

cybereality wrote:The release will be coming very soon.

I think I have the first binary build done, currently working to fix up the project files for the open source-code release.
Wow! Awesome!
And how's your donate button going?
oculusriftfan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by oculusriftfan »

Just a thought, would the attached wrapper work for OpenGL games with your driver solution?
Jay
Blogger
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

oculusriftfan wrote:Just a thought, would the attached wrapper work for OpenGL games with your driver solution?
Not really because the Perception app does not just work with any generic game. It has special code specific for each game.
cerulianbaloo

Post by cerulianbaloo »

Damn you cyber, I just did a google search for rift stereo drivers, found your site, and saw the shiny green download button (followed by a squee from me), only to be greeted with "to be released" on the following page. Curse you, now I'm even more anticipating it. Clever on you if that was intentional.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

That's actually not even my website, that is a fan made site. It does look nice, though.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

cybereality wrote:That's actually not even my website, that is a fan made site. It does look nice, though.
So you are saying theres a chance...LOL..
djdevin
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by djdevin »

cybereality wrote: The big thing I fixed was the strange distortion when using the roll in Source engine games. Now the roll works like you would expect.
Wow, thought I was the only one. Driving me crazy. You should tell TriDef how to fix this, grrr.
cybereality wrote: The thing I am still working on is adjustments for the head-tracking. Right now it only works when you have the tracker in one orientation. But I imagine people might mount it in different ways, so I wanted to have some adjustments. Honestly if its going to take too long I will just release it as is, since this is only really an issue with DIY trackers (won't be a problem with the Rift since the tracker is built-in). But if I can fix it quick, then I will try to do so.
Maybe you don't need to make this, and leave it up to the device? For example the Hillcrest can be manually calibrated with their software.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

You guys may want to check this thread:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=16237

:D

Return to “Development / General Discussion”