Introducing Vireio Perception (3D Driver for Oculus Rift)

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Introducing Vireio Perception (3D Driver for Oculus Rift

Post by 3dvison »

I was so close to done on my DIY Rift...Now I can't finish with the tears of joy in my eyes...WaY to go cybereality..
Thank You..Thank You..Thank You..Very Much

Not just hard work on your part Cyber, but work I have no skill set to do, even if I wanted to...Thanks..

Did I say Thank You...Thank You
cerulianbaloo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by cerulianbaloo »

Ah, probably should have paid attention to the "unofficial" text at the top. Oh well, as you said, good looking site. Here's hoping whoever it is doesn't piggyback off your exposure and start charging for it.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Great of you to share your hard work like this. I hope it will grow really big!
Congratulations Cyber!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Excellent work! Especially happy that "Aaaaaa!!!!!!!! a reckless disregard for gravity"

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... YZhk#t=50s[/youtube-hd]

will be supported!!
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
mape
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mape »

cerulianbaloo wrote:Ah, probably should have paid attention to the "unofficial" text at the top. Oh well, as you said, good looking site. Here's hoping whoever it is doesn't piggyback off your exposure and start charging for it.
I'm the creator of the site and I have absolutely no plans of benefitting financially on cybereality's work. The purpose of the site is to be a collection of help, downloads and news related to VIREio.
http://vire.io - Unofficial resource for VIREio
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

mape wrote:
cerulianbaloo wrote:Ah, probably should have paid attention to the "unofficial" text at the top. Oh well, as you said, good looking site. Here's hoping whoever it is doesn't piggyback off your exposure and start charging for it.
I'm the creator of the site and I have absolutely no plans of benefitting financially on cybereality's work. The purpose of the site is to be a collection of help, downloads and news related to VIREio.
Hey, mape, you left out Portal 1 from the list of supported games. It's not in the profile xml because it uses the same exe name as Half Life 2, but it's mentioned in the readme. You also left out Left For Dead 1, which was one of the main games he was focused on and is rated "Great".
mape
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mape »

2EyeGuy wrote:
mape wrote:
Hey, mape, you left out Portal 1 from the list of supported games. It's not in the profile xml because it uses the same exe name as Half Life 2, but it's mentioned in the readme. You also left out Left For Dead 1, which was one of the main games he was focused on and is rated "Great".
Thanks for the heads up, I've added both of them to the games list.
http://vire.io - Unofficial resource for VIREio
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@mape: Great work on the site, man! I really appreciate it.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

mape: Site looks great! But for me (using firefox) the "un" in unofficial is kind of hidden behind the logo so if i look quickly it looks more like it say "official", might want to change that : p
Sinsinful
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sinsinful »

Just wana say thanks again to Cyber for his hard work! :-D

Tested the drivers with Skyrim & Half Life 2 and the seem to work 100% according to my monitor. (looks like the setup in the Oculus demo vids)

Has anyone tested them with an Oculus Rift Developers kit yet?
I know the bulk of them have not been sent out yet but I was hoping someone with an early Oculus prototype could confirm everything works as expected?

Also quick question, I'm getting great frame rates running the drivers as a test on my monitor with the drivers active but will the actual connection to the Oculus Rift Dev kit lower my frame rates?

Cant wait for my Dev kit now!!!!
This technology has peeled back a layer to reveal another universe. Virtual reality will grow, just as the telegraph grew to the telephone - as the radio to the TV - it will be everywhere.
zino
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zino »

Sinsinful wrote:Also quick question, I'm getting great frame rates running the drivers as a test on my monitor with the drivers active but will the actual connection to the Oculus Rift Dev kit lower my frame rates?
No, there should be no frame drops from that (in theory) since the rift will look like just a monitor to your graphics card. It needs to do exactly the same job to display on that Rift-monior as you normal one.

There is one possible exception though: If you are currently running on a single monitor and your gfx hardware or driver have problems with multiple monitors there might be a drop in performance. Anything moderns from ATI, Intel or Nvidia should be fine.
Sinsinful
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sinsinful »

My wee GTX 285 is crushing the frame rates on Skyrim & Half Life 2. If I only every get to play through those 2 games in VR I'll die a happy man lol. Never used duel monitors with it but cant see it being a problem. :-D
This technology has peeled back a layer to reveal another universe. Virtual reality will grow, just as the telegraph grew to the telephone - as the radio to the TV - it will be everywhere.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Sinsinful wrote:My wee GTX 285 is crushing the frame rates on Skyrim & Half Life 2. If I only every get to play through those 2 games in VR I'll die a happy man lol. Never used duel monitors with it but cant see it being a problem. :-D
Are you using the word 'crushing' in the same way young people use the word 'sick'? Or does your framerate suck (although, in the right context, I suppose 'suck' could be interpreted as a good thing, too :-) )
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@Sinsinful: Awesome! Glad that's working for you. In terms of framerates, if you are running at 1280x800 (or 1280x720) on a 60Hz monitor, then the performance should be the same as the Rift.

Also, if anyone has a DIY Rift, I'd love to hear if the software (especially the warping and convergence) is working for you.
Sinsinful
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sinsinful »

Yes Mel I'm using it in a positive context ie GTX285 vs Crappy Frame Rate - GTX285 crushing opponent :-p
Mel

Post by Mel »

Sinsinful wrote:Yes Mel I'm using it in a positive context ie GTX285 vs Crappy Frame Rate - GTX285 crushing opponent :-p
:)

I have the same card. Although my experience with Skyrim on my DIY HMD was not 'crushing'. It actually kinda sucked, framerate-wise. Maybe I need to adjust some settings.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

It depends how you measure framerate. The game probably thinks it's drawing twice as many frames as it actually is.
Mel

Post by Mel »

2EyeGuy wrote:It depends how you measure framerate. The game probably thinks it's drawing twice as many frames as it actually is.
My measuring is very inexact; basically, it's how it appears to my eyes, and in the case of Skyrim, it's a really fast slide show. :)

I need to mention that my Skyrim experience was with DDD, not Cyber's driver. I can't try Cyber's driver yet, as my DIY HMD is out on loan.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I used to run a GTX 285. It was a great card for the time. Ended up getting a GTX 470 (for the Blu-Ray 3D acceleration) but in games it was only a marginal improvement. So I can imagine it would still be OK, as long as you tweaked the settings for medium/low.
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

Sinsinful wrote:My wee GTX 285 is crushing the frame rates on Skyrim & Half Life 2. If I only every get to play through those 2 games in VR I'll die a happy man lol. Never used duel monitors with it but cant see it being a problem. :-D

Glad it's working well for you. I too have been dreaming of playing a TES game in VR. What settings are you running Skyrim with to achieve such great results? I have an i7 with a 660ti and have terrible frame rates when I use the Perception driver. Without I am getting 100+ fps on ultra, but with side by side enabled I have to drop the settings to medium just to remove the stuttering ( probably about 30fps). Can't tell exactly what the fps is because my osd is overridden by the Perception ones. Would be nice to know the fps and where the bottleneck is to tune my settings for use with the Rift.
The aim may be off, shadows may not work, but spells look fantastic in stereoscopic 3D.

Thank you cybereality for helping to bring our dreams to reality.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Hi Cyber! Any chance we could see the older HL titles like HL1, HL: Opposing Force, HL: Blue Shift with these drivers?
HL1 was re - released using the source engine (not to be confused with Black Mesa Source)
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

If it runs on the Source engine, it may be able to work with only small modifications to the profile.

However, older games won't be supported since the software is designed around DirectX9 only.
zino
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zino »

As for HL1: Black Mesa seems* to work fine. I think the 3D separation when zooming in with the crossbow might be off though.

* I say "seems" because I have no method of testing the 3D. I tried Red/Cyan glasses, but they don't do enough for me to see 3D over 3D projected in 2D.
Sinsinful
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sinsinful »

Baristan6 wrote: Glad it's working well for you. I too have been dreaming of playing a TES game in VR. What settings are you running Skyrim with to achieve such great results? I have an i7 with a 660ti and have terrible frame rates when I use the Perception driver. Without I am getting 100+ fps on ultra, but with side by side enabled I have to drop the settings to medium just to remove the stuttering ( probably about 30fps). Can't tell exactly what the fps is because my osd is overridden by the Perception ones. Would be nice to know the fps and where the bottleneck is to tune my settings for use with the Rift.
The aim may be off, shadows may not work, but spells look fantastic in stereoscopic 3D.
I'm working all day and DJing tonight mate so i will check my setting tomorrow and post. Download fraps to check your fps.
dont understand how your getting bad fps with your card and processer? what ram do you have?
Baristan6
Cross Eyed!

Post by Baristan6 »

Sinsinful wrote: I'm working all day and DJing tonight mate so i will check my setting tomorrow and post. Download fraps to check your fps.
dont understand how your getting bad fps with your card and processer? what ram do you have?
I'll have to try out fraps, didn't think it would work with the Vireio drivers. I have been using MSI Afterburner to measure my FPS, but it uses a dll injection like the Vireio driver and isn't compatible.

My ram shouldn't be an issue. 6gig triple channel DDR3-1800.

edit...

Fraps works with the drivers. After some testing I found changing to low settings didn't remove all of my previous tweaks to the ini file. Deleted the ini and now I get 60-70 fps on medium and 30-40 on ultra. Interestingly during the loading screens fps is locked to 15.
kazak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kazak »

Hi guys. Many thanks to developers Vireio and good luck in the future.
Please help me solve my problem. If the Perception select anaglyph, the program works well. If the mode Side-by-Side or Oculus Rift screen in the game to become gray and the image is not visible.

PS Sorry for my bad English, translating from Russian to Google
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hey kazak,

That is an issue I have not seen before. Can you list your PC specs, OS, etc.? Thanks.
kazak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kazak »

cybereality wrote:Hey kazak,That is an issue I have not seen before. Can you list your PC specs, OS, etc.? Thanks.
Hi cybereality. Intel core2 Duo P7350 2.00GHz 3Gb Windows 7 SP1
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

Im using Windows 8 Pro
with a XFX Radeon 7950 and i5 3570k.

For Half Life 2 I never get beyond the Valve Logo. No matter what settings I set in Vireio or if i launch it via hl2.exe or steam..
It doesn't show any error, it just quits..

any ideas?
Last edited by Dakor on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The 1.0.1 version seems to work better on HL2. Maybe try that.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Portal 1 The First Slice works fine for me (which uses the same exe and same profile), but I don't have the actual Half Life 2.
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

kazak wrote:Hi guys. Many thanks to developers Vireio and good luck in the future.
Please help me solve my problem. If the Perception select anaglyph, the program works well. If the mode Side-by-Side or Oculus Rift screen in the game to become gray and the image is not visible.

PS Sorry for my bad English, translating from Russian to Google
I still get the same in Skyrim.

When it loads I get a completely whited out screen.

Can see the menus when come out of the game exactly like you have.

XP SP3 AMD HD6850 latest AMD drivers. Have reinstalled Skyrim. Removed all mods.

I reinstalled DX9 using the registry hack trick fooling the installer to think it was V8 installed and no difference.

UB
UB

Don't try this at home folks....
kazak
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kazak »

Tried on two computers, reinstalled Nvidia driver, reinstalled DirectX. All the time a gray screen.
What am I doing wrong? :shock:
Callezetter
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Callezetter »

Unclebob wrote: I still get the same in Skyrim.

XP SP3 AMD HD6850 latest AMD drivers. Have reinstalled Skyrim. Removed all mods.
Im using Win7 and a radeon 6870. Skyrim+vireo works without problem for me.
Fresh install and no drivertweaks.
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

cybereality wrote:The 1.0.1 version seems to work better on HL2. Maybe try that.
Thanks!

On my first try via steam and hl2.exe it instantly broke and showed me this error message:
Running hl2.exe and vireio in admin mode solved this:

ImageImage

can't wait to play with the rift :o
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

Callezetter wrote:
Unclebob wrote: I still get the same in Skyrim.

Im using Win7 and a radeon 6870. Skyrim+vireo works without problem for me.
Fresh install and no drivertweaks.
What driver release are you using mate?

UB
UB

Callezetter
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Callezetter »

From catalyst info:

Driver Packaging Version 9.012-121219a-152192C-ATI
Catalyst Version 13.1
Direct3D Version 9.14.10.0945
Catalyst Control Center Version 2012.1219.1521.27485

Heres how it looks..i get around 35-40 fps with skyrim and Vierio. All settings on medium and AA off

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXW2XbwOGXU[/youtube-hd]
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Cool, Callezetter. Thanks for the video.

You may want to turn shadows off, though. There are instructions in the read me.
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

cybereality wrote:Cool, Callezetter. Thanks for the video.

You may want to turn shadows off, though. There are instructions in the read me.
Ok am reinstalling on my windows 7 machine.

Would really like to get it to work .... will post back

UB
UB

2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Callezetter wrote:From catalyst info:

Driver Packaging Version 9.012-121219a-152192C-ATI
Catalyst Version 13.1
Direct3D Version 9.14.10.0945
Catalyst Control Center Version 2012.1219.1521.27485

Heres how it looks..i get around 35-40 fps with skyrim and Vierio. All settings on medium and AA off
The lighting and shadows look really wrong. Skyrim requires special settings:
readme.txt wrote:Skyrim: Disable shadows by finding "SkyrimPrefs.ini" in "My Documents\My Games\Skyrim" and setting the following: "fShadowDistance=0.0000 fInteriorShadowDistance=0.0000 fShadowLODStartFade=0.0000". Open the developers console and use "FOV 110".

Return to “Development / General Discussion”