Vireio 2.0 & Skyrim bugs

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Leopardson
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Vireio 2.0 & Skyrim bugs

Post by Leopardson »

CylonSurfer wrote: I have work to do on the 'The Joy of Perspective' mod any hows, if you can fix the above issue and giant arms this VR driver will be a winner.
I've been using Skyrim with Vireio for a couple weeks now, and I found a bunch of workarounds for common problems that I've been a selfish little poop about by not posting the workarounds. They worked for me, though I don't know if they'll work for everyone else. Here are some workarounds I found across the net for some of the issues mentioned in this thread and on the OculusVR developer forums:

Flickering shadows:
SkyrimPrefs.ini via Documents/My Games/Skyrim/, bDeferredShadows=0, fInteriorShadowFade=0, fShadowFade = 0, if I remember correctly. This fix is everywhere.

World Scale:
There's a very simple way to accurately calibrate your world scale quickly. Walk up to a character that is the same race and gender as you, look them straight in the eye, and calibrate your world scale until the left eye's line crosses their left pupil and the right eye's line crosses their right. Then your world scale should be pretty accurate. I found it helpful to use TAI in console to freeze them so they didn't walk about or try to tell me about their day.

Huge Arms/Weapons:
I found that when I got the world scale correctly, my player's body was huge. To make matters worse, I use the Joy of Prespective modification, so my entire body was gigantic. The problem is that Skyrim is not ready for Depth Perception, and the first person skeleton is huge for some reason.
I found an easy fix somewhere on the net, but the compensation is that by fixing the depth perception on the first person skeleton, you also mess up the player crouch height - by cutting the scale of the model down by a third, you also cut the height decrease down by a third, so that your player's view goes down 1/3rd of what it should.
The compensation fix is as follows: Using the XP32 1st person skeleton, the 1st person skeleton installed by Joy of Prespective, or another custom skeleton of your choice, you can edit the skeleton.nif under data/meshes/actors/character/_1stperson/skeleton.nif using nifskope. Alternatively, you can extract the default skeleton, but it's generally easier to just use a better one.
Somewhere there should be a node on the left hand window called NPC LookNode. Click that, look for "scale", set it to roughly 1/3rd. I found that the best looking option for me is 0.36.

Player height:
Another one of the values in the exact same skeleton file in the same NPC LookNode is translation. Up the z value a little bit to get the correct player height, though the correct value seems to depend on the race. It took me a few tries to get a comfortable value.
If someone can find a way to change the crouch height separately, the compensation would become a general fix.

I do have some bugs I have questions about:
Skybox - The skybox appears to be rendered closer than it should, making it look very strange next to a tall mountain. Is there a way to set the skybox distance so that doesn't happen?
Weapon outlines - Weapons in first person often have an odd blue outline that's displaced a little bit - Perhaps it's a result of depth of field or something of the sort?
Menu FOV rape - The first time you open the item menu, it appears to make the FOV very small for some reason or another, requiring a reset of the FOV in console. Has anyone found a fix for this?
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Are you using Vireio Perception 2.0.0.2 with the FOV adjustment features in the menu?

Give that a go, and see if your recommendations need to be calibrated.

Regards,
Neil
Leopardson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Leopardson »

Neil wrote:Are you using Vireio Perception 2.0.0.2 with the FOV adjustment features in the menu?

Give that a go, and see if your recommendations need to be calibrated.

Regards,
Neil
It's not the menu itself that's the problem. I can see the menu fine. Sometimes, when I open the menu, it sets the player's FOV to something like 30 or 40, and then doesn't change back to my original setting (110) when I exit the menu.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I'm beginning to wonder if we are talking about the same Vireio. Turning shadows off is no longer necessary.

Are you running 2.0.0.2? Where did you get Vireio?

Neil
Leopardson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Leopardson »

Neil[/quote]
Neil wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if we are talking about the same Vireio. Turning shadows off is no longer necessary.

Are you running 2.0.0.2? Where did you get Vireio?

Neil
I am running 2.0.0, yes. I downloaded it from vireio.com a week or two ago. I still got the shadow flickers and such after upgrading from 1.x, so I figured that must not have been fixed.
Neil

Post by Neil »

This doesn't sound like 2.x. Get 2.0.0.2 from our downloads section. Vireio.com didnt link to 2.x until awhile after.

Please read the faq section too. There is a lot of automatic functionality now.

Regards,
Neil
Leopardson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Leopardson »

I have 2.0.0.2, and it says 2.0.0 in the actual executable. I redownloaded it anyway as you suggested and there was no change. Perhaps something wrong with my setup?
Neil

Post by Neil »

Ahah! You are using Skyrim mods, aren't you? AREN'T YOU?!? :lol: TELL THE TRUTH NOW! :P

You have to uninstall all the mods. Installers - everything.

Delete the Skyrim config files, and do a steam verify cache. Then make sure bDeferredShadows=0 in SkyrimPrefs.ini. You may have two SkyrimPrefs.ini files, so make sure bDeferredShadows=0 in both of then.

You should be able to max out settings, but I recommend medium shadows.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Neil
Leopardson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Leopardson »

Neil wrote:Ahah! You are using Skyrim mods, aren't you? AREN'T YOU?!? :lol: TELL THE TRUTH NOW! :P

You have to uninstall all the mods. Installers - everything.

Delete the Skyrim config files, and do a steam verify cache. Then make sure bDeferredShadows=0 in SkyrimPrefs.ini. You may have two SkyrimPrefs.ini files, so make sure bDeferredShadows=0 in both of then.

You should be able to max out settings, but I recommend medium shadows.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Neil
Mods?
Skyrim is like a box of chocolates. If the box of chocolates is just vanilla, then it's not much of a box of chocolates now is it?

All jokes aside, I tried what you said. I have a backup folder for all my mods so I just move them and reinstall. I did that, and everything you said, and there's no change.

I should elaborate a bit more - The shadows stay in one spot like they should, but their position is marginally different for each eye, which causes the space between them to flicker as the brain fails to pick one eye over the other. The shadows themselves don't move on headroll, but the flickering is still a total eyesore.
Neil

Post by Neil »

There shouldn't be flicker. Ok, stick with Vanilla for now.

Can you share screenshots?

Are you using Vireio to change FOV (VRBoost Options menu)

Regards,
Neil
rarewave82
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rarewave82 »

Hi, does anyone know of a way to move SKYUI across so it's more central? I have Skyrim working great now with Vireio and have used immersive hud to reposition everything, also using the inbuilt options to scale the HUD and Menus and set them back in the world. I prefer this now over the paid drivers now that I've figured it out.

The only thing left to keep gameplay fluid would be to try get Sky UI across as the item text is still a bit hard to read on the left hand side.

I've also been trying to get enb working but no luck yet with Vireio, keeps crashing when clicking to load a save.
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

Open your Skyrim.ini file and add these lines if they are not already present (and then tweak the values to your tastes).

[Interface]
fSafeZoneX=300.0000
fSafeZoneY=150.0000
fSafeZoneXWide=300.0000
fSafeZoneYWide=150.0000

From memory 'fSafeZoneXWide=' & 'fSafeZoneYWide=' are the two you need to reposition the menus... can't quite remember off the top of my head. Would need to check my install.

The 'EZ2C Dialogue Menu' mod can be used to repostion dialogue text (it fixes some annoying bugs too). My settings for this are:

speaker_text_pos_x = -20
topiclist_pos_x = -10

I hope that helps.
rarewave82
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rarewave82 »

Thanks very much for these settings CylonSurfer! Perfect!

Well, that's it... I don't believe I could back to playing it on a 2d screen now after experiencing it in the rift and working well, it's bloody awesome!
yuanxiaoyu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by yuanxiaoyu »

Please i need some help

everytime i run skyrim with perception i do NOT get stereoscopic 3D effect
essentially just like im watching a big 2D dome

what can i do about this?
Neil

Post by Neil »

Get rid of ALL mods and extra installers.

Regards,
Neil
Atmos
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Atmos »

So, after having a good deal of fun with Vireio and skyrim, i moved to uninstall the drivers from skyrim so as to play normally.
I've removed the bin files that i've had to place in my directory due to failure to hijack as the game started, i've removed all perspective mods and adjustments, i've reloaded a backup of the skyrimprefs.ini, but i'm still in the suedo immersive first person view. Even running in vanilla without any mods it remains, any idea how to disable this?
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

Some other useful skyrim.ini settings:

[Interface]
fNoteDistance=100.0000 # default 90.0000 Higher number = smaller note
fBookDistance=120.0000 # default 110.0000 Higher number = smaller book
fBookPosWidthPercentage=0.5000 # default 0.5000 = horizontal position
fBookPosHeightPercentage=0.5450 # default 0.4450 = vertical position

Another useful discovery for those using the 'Immersive First Person' mod:

The higher your 'Near Distance' value, the stronger the 3D effect when using Verieo. If your game looks "flat" while using that mod you likely have 'Near Distance' value at the default of 700. Mine is now set to 1150, a high value like this can cause clipping so adjust to personal taste.
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

Just a quick update on Skyrim bugs.

I notice that shadows are still broken when using head roll in the following areas (there could be more):

Main Game:
- Bee and Barb Tavern (not everywhere just in the corner by the door)
- Candlehearth Hall, top level by where the bard is
- Silver Blood Inn
* It may be worth you checking all of Skyrim's taverns to be sure as I think some of the others may have shadow bugs.

Dawnguard:
- Various places in dungeons during the 'Scroll Scouting' Quest line.
- A few places in dungeons during the 'Touching the Sky' Quest line.
- Ancestor Glade, first room in the cave and the main 'glade' area (this one is really off putting and spoils the overall beauty of this area).

There may very well be other shadow issues in interior spaces, I'll try and update the list as I find more.

Any idea when we'll see a new release of Vireio? It'd be nice to be able to swim underwater again without the screen turning black :) One other point, would it be possible to include an option to save your mouse emulation (True / False) and Distortion Scale config per game? I'm getting a little fed up of setting these options each time I fire up Skyrim, obviously I can manage without but it would a very nice addition.

In my opinion, the current Vireio release is still, HANDS DOWN, the very best way to play Skyrim in VR. Your driver blows the competition out of the water when it comes to this game and neither product is showing any sign of closing that gap anytime soon - so congratulations and keep up the hard work guys!!
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

Another quick update,

I noticed that the shadow issue seems to be linked to any interior space which has a natural light source / beam effect. Dungeons which have hollows reaching the world above allowing sunlight into the interior space below commonly suffer from this shadow roll issue.

Any word on whether it is possible to save your mouse emulation / distortion scale settings per game?

Hope this helps.
Leopardson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Leopardson »

I didn't know you could change the book size! I had to deal with not reading them. I'll try that now.

As for Immersive FP: This is a must for rift users, at this point. The mod makes the game with the rift so much better.
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

You may also need to configure a hot key in Vireio to change the GUI size to large to be able to read the text.
bugnguts
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bugnguts »

CylonSurfer wrote:Another quick update,

I noticed that the shadow issue seems to be linked to any interior space which has a natural light source / beam effect. Dungeons which have hollows reaching the world above allowing sunlight into the interior space below commonly suffer from this shadow roll issue.

Any word on whether it is possible to save your mouse emulation / distortion scale settings per game?

Hope this helps.
This is what I'm seeing. When looking in the direction of the light the shadows move as if the light moves on a vertical line above the rift. SO when I tilt right shadows stretch to the left. Again if I am looking at the light source, going forward backward is Z direction, then the shadows cast away from the light in the z direction as expected, but it as if the light is on a long stick passing up through the rift and the shadows tilt away form the diction I tilt my head.
Knighty
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Knighty »

CylonSurfer wrote: ...
Any idea when we'll see a new release of Vireio? It'd be nice to be able to swim underwater again without the screen turning black :)
I've being having and issue with being underwater with Vireio, whereby the screen goes solid green. I've finally managed to locate a fix or workaround for it, which is to change the following settings in the Skyrim Preferences (SkyrimPrefs.ini) to the below:

[Imagespace]
bDoDepthOfField=0
iRadialBlurLevel=0

For me I only needed to change bDoDepthOfField to 0.
CylonSurfer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CylonSurfer »

Nice one for the heads up - I'll try that and update the Skyrim VR Guide if it works well.

Thanks!
ad2003
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ad2003 »

hey!

when in 1st Person view and get the bow as weapon or opening the menu, sometimes the FOV gets like super-wide, and the whole character looks a bit off - arms too long, trees seem to be smaller, NPCs tiny. Feeling like Alice bit the Cake.
From the 3rd-Person view all looks like it should. I followed the Skyrim VR Guide...

Return to “Development / General Discussion”