$600 Rift

Libertine
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

$600 Rift

Post by Libertine »

Thoughts?

EDIT: Oh, pardon me, i meant five hundred and ninety nice dollars and ninety nine cents.
CaptnYesterday
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: $600 Rift

Post by CaptnYesterday »

Whoa! where is everyone ?
Testing with: ATI 7970, 8GB 1600 ram, Core i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Java 7 x64. For science... you monster.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Libertine wrote:Thoughts?

Sounds like it's only $100 more than the original offering, and not only did we get the head-mount but it has quite a few extra features thrown in. ;)

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 120#p71861
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Thoughts?
The fact that OVR consequently shifted the release date year after year should tell people that VR still isnt ready. Even not yet for 600 dollars. I still can't remember how many excuses there were and ow often they changed their POV. Reminds me very much of politics.
OVR won't initiate the virtual reality revolution. It is a big hoax.
I am more into light field technology since i fully understood how it works and how loving awesome graphics(at least in a big enough volume like a apartment) can be only with a few GB of photos burned to a Bluray.
Did you know? I can have the Alpes right in front of my house, with the best graphics you can imagine. And with a lightfield
display like Magic Leap they will also appear like they are standing right in front of my house. Try to wrap that around your head.
It's mind boggling.
The future will look like this.
You are going to buy Blurays(50Gb? more like new gen 500GB) in real life with captured lightfields on it. Every imaginable place on earth that has sth to it will be burned to a BluRay.
And here comes the real ice cream.
You are going to mix those true holographic (basically means the same as light fields) environments that were teleported to your house with your apartment. You will be able to do everything what you do normally at home just with the freakin' alpes around you.
If you understand lightfields and the rendering of it (100% pixel based :woot) you will understand what i am talking about and that the future will be 'much more' than a pair of flat image planes.
People have no idea.

http://www.cs.harvard.edu/~sjg/papers/drlf.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2w1DNkITI8

First synthetic light field rendering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMcZpeGOBPI
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

$600 RIFT CV1 IS SURELY A Costly Start ......

May be they are practically blocking those who can not afford system to fully utilize it.

Ex. if you can afford $600 rift ... Sure you can and will buy $1200 system to fully utilize it..
(Thus buyer will not curse/bad mouth Rift CV1 for non performing at optimum level on under powered system)

I safely assume may be 12/14 months from now when all Richy riches purchased all initial units
and supported over head expenses of plant setup and special machinery costs.

Fix expenses will come down ... then may be

There will be RIFT LITE
in simple corrugated box without that fancy Plastic Case, Xbox Controller
and that Funny Remote (easily may sum up $150 approx and are not must items).
Just bare bone rift+ Camera + Cables at price like $350/380

Sure real selling/Life cycle/VR Revolution will start then....
asprind
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by asprind »

colocolo wrote:Thoughts?
The fact that OVR consequently shifted the release date year after year should tell people that VR still isnt ready. Even not yet for 600 dollars. I still can't remember how many excuses there were and ow often they changed their POV. Reminds me very much of politics.
OVR won't initiate the virtual reality revolution. It is a big hoax.
I am more into light field technology since i fully understood how it works and how loving awesome graphics(at least in a big enough volume like a apartment) can be only with a few GB of photos burned to a Bluray.
Did you know? I can have the Alpes right in front of my house, with the best graphics you can imagine. And with a lightfield
display like Magic Leap they will also appear like they are standing right in front of my house. Try to wrap that around your head.
It's mind boggling.
The future will look like this.
You are going to buy Blurays(50Gb? more like new gen 500GB) in real life with captured lightfields on it. Every imaginable place on earth that has sth to it will be burned to a BluRay.
And here comes the real ice cream.
You are going to mix those true holographic (basically means the same as light fields) environments that were teleported to your house with your apartment. You will be able to do everything what you do normally at home just with the freakin' alpes around you.
If you understand lightfields and the rendering of it (100% pixel based :woot) you will understand what i am talking about and that the future will be 'much more' than a pair of flat image planes.
People have no idea.

Magic Leap sounds great, but it's current FOV is only 40 degrees. This explains why every demo they've shown is about displaying individual virtual objects which are superimposed on the real world rather than producing a completely new image all around you. Thus so far it's more like AR than VR.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Doesn't matter what people think of the price, it sold out completely, regarding the 'expected to be ready by march 28th' initial ship date.

Orders being moved back to June, practically July, by now. This is with manufacturing set to ramp, as much as they can ramp it up..... as this is CV1.... this is, manufacturing and business wise.....throttle to the floor. All balls on, aimed - and exploding into the target. Which is numbers, a pure numbers game.

And this, in a situation where Palmer was authorized to say that they don't expect to sell out on pre-orders. (pre launch statement)

Also, this is the third build attempt or run, so they have it down, they know what to expect and how to do it.

This is also the Consumer version. which people were advised to wait for. They were actively told to stay the hell away from the dev kit(s).

I expect it is about 250k units, probably more, that have been presold.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I suspect fully half of those presales will be cancelled though. Seems like a very large amount of people on reddit openly admitting they simply preordered 'just in case', and are planning on cancelling it later.

They might change their mind on cancelling once Vive price is released, though :)
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Rift will leverage from head start aka first to run is first to win.

Its success is critical for VR's foundation as consumer product.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Dilip wrote:Rift will leverage from head start aka first to run is first to win.

Its success is critical for VR's foundation as consumer product.

Dilip! It's important to think big and to work from positions of strength. For mass market scale, VR is going to be a three to five year plan. There is little to no dependency on the first run of HMDs because the real numbers based on PC availability and capability will take a few years to shore up. This is a positive thing because it's very liberating. It means there is time to build and get things right and I feel confident that we will eventually see more market diversity. If the market is indeed going to be big, there will be plenty of room for such things.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/articles/editoria ... n-count-on

There is no relationship between first run and market dominance - at least not long term and not for this industry in particular. The exception to the rule is Sony and possibly mobile because the supporting platform has the big numbers to support it from the get-go.

Anyways, it's all good.

Regards,
Neil
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

@asprind
I don't know from where you get those numbers. But even from the demo video of ML you can tell that the FOV is bigger. (in the last seconds). Right now we just don'T know what the device is capable of. But ROny Abovitz already ensured that he is a big FOV fan.
We can expect very much of Magic Leap since they are a hardware producing company. Going from developing new lithographic processes to selling a product. THe innovation level therefore in new iterations over time will be enormous.
One shouldn't also forget that those goggles produce light fields. Also known as freakin' holograms. Projections will appear as if they were made out of flesh and blood.
Also CG will improve over time. In the next few years we will be able to render path tracing in real time with the help of foveated rendering. This rendering process is already holographic and could be directly applied to this light field display.
It will be particularly interesting to see how we are going to perceive the statistical noise in the outer regions of our FOV. It could be that our brain has no problem with it and maybe ( i'm very sure of this) it is going to fill in all the missing information after a few hours of training. Our brain is incredible in reproducing information just with a tiny little shred of it. Who knows , nature is also just a stochastic process.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

@Neil

There is sure benefit to enter early than competition...

1) you can know the vibe of market
2) you can cover almost all enthusiast who have intrest of vr and have fund to buy
only one device at a time also crazy enough to have as soon as they can
3) your product get tested by user also upgraded if you are quick enough before competition enter.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Dilip wrote:@Neil

There is sure benefit to enter early than competition...

1) you can know the vibe of market
2) you can cover almost all enthusiast who have intrest of vr and have fund to buy
only one device at a time also crazy enough to have as soon as they can
3) your product get tested by user also upgraded if you are quick enough before competition enter.

There is an expression: the pioneer is the one that gets the arrow in the back.

1. Everyone can get the vibe of the market. That's very easy to figure out.
2. The enthusiast market with the qualified number of GPUs / hardware is limited - to start. I'm only thinking of the first year right now.
3. Everyone has access to the same user test data. It's not all that secretive to know what customers think.

If this was a scenario where there were tens of millions of qualified PCs at the get-go, there would be a first to market advantage. If it's a few hundred thousand with a future of millions, then the dynamics are very different. It's not a good or bad thing, it just is.

Regards,
Neil
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Can we say its just co incident that after Pr-order/Released date/Price of rift declared just in 2 days HTC too declared their Pre-Order date? Being agile in market do matter, but then it must not be for releasing half backed cake.

Interestingly though Sony still Kept mum, very understandable as they are catering totally different demographic where there is no competition. Those who have PS4 wil either buy PSVR or they won't
there is nothing like they buy PSVR or VIVE or RIFT.

Though it may happen in different interesting way when one own PC powerful enough to power RIFT/VIVE also holding PS4 and he decide to go for either PSVR or HTC or RIFT ( Like you ;) )

I really want google to release next nexus with its Own Premium HMD as Snapdragon 820 is very good inherently for VR.

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapdrago ... xperiences

It will also benefit Gear VR too as its likely that next Galaxy S7 will have this SoC.
Specially when Samsung is fabing Snapdragon 820 in its own foundries.
Last edited by Dilip on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Can we say its just co incident that after Pr-order/Released date/Price of rift declared just in 2 days HTC too declared their Pre-Order date? Being agile in market do matter, but then it must not be for releasing half backed cake.
What I think could be very different from what HTC or Oculus and/or everyone else thinks. The data is public, and people are free to act and interpret as they see fit. Remember that content makers have been holding it together for awhile now waiting for a release date - probably longer than they originally anticipated with sales expectations well beyond what is realistic for a first year release in this particular market. Their timelines have to be considered as well.

Anyways, we're headed for year one. From there we can size up what we have to work with and what we have to build towards. It's just year one.

Regards,
Neil
Inscothen
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Inscothen »

brantlew wrote:
Libertine wrote:Thoughts?

Sounds like it's only $100 more than the original offering, and not only did we get the head-mount but it has quite a few extra features thrown in. ;)

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 120#p71861
It's also only $199-$399 higher than Nate had previously said in an interview they were hoping to release at.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

@Inscothen

Those who buying RIFT now are not only supporting overheads, they also are supporting free kick starter units too.
Still it's way better then any such thing (VR Hmd) available in market even professional (Sensics zSight).

Eventually no frill lite version of RIFT is inevitable, may be at 25 to 30% lower price we can hope ;-)
There is no harm in seating on fence watching horde to arrive...your jump in time after carefully observing all offerings will be decided by no one else but you.

Return to “Oculus VR”