VGA to HDMI converter for the Oculus Rift

Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

VGA to HDMI converter for the Oculus Rift

Post by Fredz »

I don't think I've seen this posted here yet :
https://plus.google.com/114595411282381 ... ePP7tuHqWi
Jan Ciger wrote:#VGA2HDMI converter for #OculusRift

I had a bit of a dilemma, because none of my laptops has an HDMI output, only plain VGA. Oculus Rift unfortunately doesn't support analogue VGA, only digital HDMI or DVI connections.

However, I have found this:
http://dx.com/p/vga-to-hdmi-video-converter-71815

After two weeks I have the device on my desk, just tested it with the Rift and it works great. If you need to connect Rift to an older PC with only VGA output, this is a decent solution that works, especially for $31. Certainly beats having to buy a new laptop :)

Just beware that you will have to replace the power adapter, the one shipped with the box has an US plug (two flat prongs). Fortunately the device has a standard 5V DC barrel jack at the front side, so no problem.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Re: VGA to HDMI converter for the Oculus Rift

Post by geekmaster »

This looks like a useful Rift accessory. I ordered one. Thanks for the info.
tenma
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tenma »

i had the same idea to buy a vga to hdmi converter too and i seem to have bought the same model too, which is great because mine wont work with either DK1/DK2. i looked around and cant find any answers as to why it wont.

I'm using a Toshiba protege m70 (old i know) only VGA port windows 7 32bit with a mobile intel 4 series express chipset with latest driver. the display settings window shows monitor 2 as "VGA TO HDMI" 1920x1080 60hz but screen remains black. i have tried a number of methods like make primary, extended, clone, disable laptop screen, enable vga, projector only, ect and nothing seems to work.

i thinking of just buying a new laptop with a hdmi port will be less frustrating since i want to play basic vr enabled games like ARMA, Quake2 and others with friends.
any help or suggestions would be great.
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

I ordered two for my dual panel hmd project, it would be nice when it worked with RiftUp too, then it would be posiibility of upscaling...will see.
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

Hi, ist it working with dk2 too?
tenma
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tenma »

unfortunately no, I've tried on different machines with VGA ports and it's still not working.
may just have bought an EL cheap'o brand that never would have worked in the first place, i've seen a number of VGA-HDMI converters on Ebay so ill probably get a more expensive one this time.

wish the one i got worked though, i finally got my combat vest and fitted my Razer hydra on the back with the laptop, Dk2 wired and ready, wiimote rewired into a td-2012 toy m16 with 9 button and trigger... and then the converter didn't work... tragic.
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

I think the problem is not in convertor self....dk2 panel orientation is different and the hdmi to MIPI bridge is sensitive to improper hdmi signal...
But primary is the problem in portrait panel I think..

I readed abour samsung gear vr and I think this is the way - high resolution and wireless, increase of bandwidth for picture transmission from PC and transfer of tracking to pc...and it is here working vr!
tenma
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tenma »

in a year or two it probably wont matter when the avagant glyph is released, but yeah i'd say it was the model i bought thats the problem.
this one seems like a winner "http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VGA-YpbPr-Co ... 35ceda9593"

at least it has specification details like "Tranfer VGA/ YPbPr signal to HDMI Signal" and "Support Full HD 1080P Upscale function".

well i should be happy that i finally got this far, after 20 years of waiting to do this stuff at home and not at video arcades.

thanks man.

Return to “Oculus VR”