WQHD LG G3 Screen Perfect VR Component @ US$ 106.29

Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

WQHD LG G3 Screen Perfect VR Component @ US$ 106.29

Post by Dilip »

I Found an attractive mail from LG last day offering some temptation perks for buying G3.Opening buying link i came to know an amazing thing.

Besides our great beloved movie star and nice human being endorsing the device, Smart benefit worth INR 15000 (US $245.30 on today ex.rate) draw my attention in particular.

http://www.lg.com/in/g3/interested-in-buying.html

See that second benefit. it says " Free one time screen replacement worth RS 6500" :D So that's the Price of LG's G3 2560X1440 Screen. (May be lower for enterprice purchase)
A rough estimate of US$ 106.29. That's most attractive thing i really want to go in to my VR HMD. Especially when now its open secret that DK2 is having Samsung Note3 5.7" RG-BG Pentile OLED Display inside.Which means Oculus is Successful in cracking mipi mobile display driver boards and LG G3's a MIPI video panel.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8169/the-lg-g3-review/2

Display is better at White point,GMB Accuracy and Gray scale Accuracy.Medium performing in Black Level Saturation Accuracy and Bad at maximum brightness
but in closed shell of RIFT i don't think max brightness is demanding factor. at 5.5 inch slight smaller but more pixel punch packed.

Super Hot at US$107, sadly its not OLED so may be it can be bad at motion blur theorem.

I guess positively NOTE 4's AMOLED is ultimately going to be display of OVR's CV1. which will be WQHD for sure. Its just matter of Samsung announce Note 4 (Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 event scheduled on September 3) and start selling it with their GALAXY GEAR VR (Note 4 will hit the shelves on September 15 Most Likely) for few months to satisfy their inventor first and eventually allow oculus to have bite in their (replacement part additionally produced in mass) display chunk.
Last edited by Dilip on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Re: WQHD LG G3 Screen Perfect VR Component @ US$ 106.29

Post by Dilip »

This place is dead cold :roll:
Or is it really an Oculus Sold :!:
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Rejoice!

Here comes TRUE 4K 5.5" Display Entry

5.4" or 5.5" touchscreen with 2560x1536 resolution

http://www.gsmarena.com/meizu_mx4_will_ ... s-9390.php

Now i won't say please oculus use this screen :lol:
Or DIYers Please get Extra panel from Meizu or Break your newly ordered Meizu and then roam around for custom driver board etc etc......

Do simple thing:

Buy a high quality Cardboard Avatar From here ,Costs mere 38 USD.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Google-C ... 73299.html

Those who want to go even cheper can select these literal cardboard but PU Leather+Micro Fiber (looks little Durable).
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newest-D ... 52876.html

Put the smart phone inside
(best so far LG G3/Oppo find7/Vivo Xplay3S Else wait fro Meizu MX4 )

N Play (Of course first software i would advice is Cardboard App)

You can easily have leaps ahead of DK2 product in terms of display fidelity.
may be CV1 Beater.....IF coupled with Meizu MX4

Because of Google Cardboard and Samsung Gear VR on horizon Android VR app Flood is really on the way.

PS: I am not Anti Christ and certainly not anti Facebook+Oculus for that matter, but really this place is getting shivering cold and i feel ALONE
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, it is a tad cold in here but, don't worry, you're not alone.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

user1553
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user1553 »

Will be interesting to see if the note 4 panel can be swapped in and get the most out of the dk2 till cv1. But even with the same 1440p panel cv1 should still be lighter and maybe with a curved oled they can get a consistent sharpness in the periphery and push the fov. Then wait for 4k :woot
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

I have serious doubts any custom display can be inserted in DK2 as its custom shell for screen and lense size and distance from screen all are calibrated for 5.7" 1080p screen (Note 3). Besides i don't see reason to buy DK2 if you are consumer as there will be hardly ten months from now we will see consumer rift. It even got speculative release date 'May 2015' (i too don't believe the source ;) )

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/328 ... e-date.htm

Keep Eye on Connect Conference KeyNotes 19-20 SEP 2014 and cross fingers for surprise!
user1553
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by user1553 »

I hope cv1 comes out before july next year. Do you think there will be any suprises for the consumer version? A custom panel from samsung maybe?
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Few Expectation from CV1....

1) Larger FoV.
2) More DPI screen, more Virtual PPI & refined low persistence,.
3) More Sleek and Professional Looking device with best fit and cushioning for easy on face.
4) Positional Tracking without External Camera.
5) Eye-tracking & vision mapped LoD. (To show detail only where you are looking and remove details from every where else in interest of providing more 'eye candy' with limited processing power).
6) Totally wireless unit with 9DoF accurate Tracking.

Last two may be we can get in CV2, First three are must haves. Fourth desirable.
Hannibalj2
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Dilip wrote:Few Expectation from CV1....

1) Larger FoV.
2) More DPI screen, more Virtual PPI & refined low persistence,.
3) More Sleek and Professional Looking device with best fit and cushioning for easy on face.
4) Positional Tracking without External Camera.
5) Eye-tracking & vision mapped LoD. (To show detail only where you are looking and remove details from every where else in interest of providing more 'eye candy' with limited processing power).
6) Totally wireless unit with 9DoF accurate Tracking.

Last two may be we can get in CV2, First three are must haves. Fourth desirable.
Have you ever built your own prototype? Maybe you could try and use the LG3 display.
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Eye-tracking would be really neat.
To reach a billion people you are going to need performance urgently.
Without it VR will probably stay a 20-40 million people niche worldwide.
What would be already good but it wouldnt be that kind of revolution people might expect.
It will take 2 to 3 years until OVR reaches that number of sales.
With lowering performance requiremens substantially via foveated eye tracking and increasing
rendering quality via path tracing and resolution it could become attractive to a billion people.
Also what will be needed for mainstream adaption are low cost active ODTs like the Infinadeck.
Until a nanobot interferred VR everyone is going to want this.
Lets not forget that it might take 20 years until we inject autonomous working nanobots into our nerves.
Noone wants to sit around 20 years in his/her dream world while there is a possibility to change it, even not
the nerdiest and laziest fat slob of the whole world. :lol:
So what are ODT manufacturers going to do?
The path is very clear and there is no excuse to delay mass produced active cheap ODTs.
In principle you can make an Infinadeck ODT very flat(min 2x roll diameter, so 4 inches) ,lightweight 80lbs and easy to store away.
Maybe even a big company like Samsung is going to produce active ODTs in mass. A TV weighs also 70 lbs and Samsung is also building bridges,machines,......etc.
If an ODT like the ID really can be that awesome as real walking all might change.
Then its nolonger a VR enthusiast goodie, but rather a platform of freedom for everyone.
The car gave humanity independence but took it away from pedestrians.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

colocolo wrote:It will take 2 to 3 years until OVR reaches that number of sales.
With lowering performance requiremens substantially via foveated eye tracking and increasing
rendering quality via path tracing and resolution it could become attractive to a billion people.
Couldn't agree more

Very true. From very infancy of Rift i was advocating 'trick under the sleeve' to run smoothly on medium rig while output as good as Superior WQHD VR Device.
That's what Direct X12 is also all about.

Even GOD OF WAR 3 and most Revolutionary in Terms of Graphics or Last drop milker of PS3 title 'Last of Us' is prime example of juicing last drop out of hardware.

Why such thing can not be smartly implemented on PC ( i quote 'smartly' because we know rider of pc 'Every PC is different set of components') still we can define bare minimum
keep it as low as GTX260 and build some intelligent VR game development plan around it, can't we?

It is what OCULUS has to do initiate programers in right direction.While they go 2560X1440 on Rift CV1 they should also integrate some up-scaling chip (bi-cubic or Nearest Neighbor algorithm like Photoshop)so that on PC side it can offer up scaling 1080p signals and display pixel packed image of 1440p.There can be option of by-pass up scaling for capable rigs. Such Up-scaling option will leave gate open for broader range of devices and also offer more fluid play option for meaty machines at sacrifice of some visual enhancements.

If you say its not possible i would ask Why its not possible my friends?
Last edited by Dilip on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Hannibalj2 wrote: Have you ever built your own prototype? Maybe you could try and use the LG3 display.
Little selective in terms of spending and tight on budget too. Sure i would love to try LG G3 as soon as it enters my circle of known financially blessed rather lavish spenders.
I am saving for CV1 as of now as its going to be ridiculously over priced business for me due to our puny custom laws and my over seas status from rifts birthplace. ;)
Hannibalj2
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Hannibalj2 »

I think there is the CV1 Beta mid 2015. Perhaps you can get be on top of that. It should be better than the Crescent Bay. I would not count on eye tracking just yet though.
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

I too won't expect eye tracking in CV1.

I Tried DK2.
Look for my posting in other thread.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Is there grand carnival all went to attend, i am not aware of....? :x
kupfnerjw
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kupfnerjw »

I wonder how many pins the LG G3 display has on it's own (the wide ribbon is for the display, the small ribbon coming off of the display goes to the touch controller). I would like to try using the display by itself as a monitor instead of the signal being routed to the phone via wi-fi. If I can find out how many pins the ribbon has, then find out if a controller kit like the VS-TY2662-V1 is compatable (even if I have to splicing/soldering), then the lcd may be usable straight up as a monitor. :woot http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFgxMDI0/ ... i/$_57.JPG

If it would work (IF!), I would start building a light weight (albeit wired) hmd. Then my next leap would be getting a gyro and head tracking installed.

Thanks for all of the information that you peeps have provided. This gives me that tickly feeling inside!

Maybe I could make something like claire by VRunion this away. http://vrunion.com/#claire

It of course would be much cheaper than $2500!

Return to “Oculus VR”