Is real-time streaming possible for Rift

tg022011
One Eyed Hopeful

Is real-time streaming possible for Rift

Post by tg022011 »

Hey, I'm wondering how does real-time streaming for Oculus Rift work? In addition to compression, the streaming process also involves image distortion. How much latency would the additional task of image distortion add (using a normal computer)? Is streaming from Netflix or ESPN possible?

Thanks!
Hannibalj2
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Is real-time streaming possible for Rift

Post by Hannibalj2 »

I take this is for a new product venture your planning to design?

You'd like stream media in general I take. We are talking streaming from the web? Broadcast connection from a service provider?
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
tg022011
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tg022011 »

Hannibalj2 wrote:I take this is for a new product venture your planning to design?

You'd like stream media in general I take. We are talking streaming from the web? Broadcast connection from a service provider?
It would be very cool if in the future if we can stream VR movies and sports from the web. Unfortunately I don't have the technical expertise to tackle this issue. :oops: Just want to bring up this topic.

wondering whether it's feasible because the distortion should be done in real-time and that would cause some latency.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

the distortion is done in real time for games too and that works out fine.
3trip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3trip »

Streaming a movie inside a virtual theater would be possible without motion sickness, but say streaming a video game from the first person perspective? The lag would induce a lot of motion sickness.
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

It´s too much a hassle and the resolution is too low.

If you want media streaming - there are the mobile solutions - Durovis Dive, Vrase, 3Deva, etc.

Return to “Oculus VR”