[Global DDOS attack!] OculusVR hacked again? MITM attack?

geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Re: [BACK ONLINE] OculusVR hacked again? MITM attack?

Post by geekmaster »

cgp44 wrote:sorry for using 'hyperbole'. Would 'amazing' be better? Lots of people call my ideas crap. We live in complicated technological times with many black boxed things, ideas and assumptions.
Though often tangential (diversionary even), I am rarely hyperbolic. My train of thought does not dangle from two ends. "Amazing" is a more highly awesomized expression, like a pat on the back, a word of encouragement, a sign of respect, so please do...
:D
Drewbdoo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Drewbdoo »

Geez geekmaster, just trying to relate and you have to go all "sonny, I'm twice your age" on me :-p

I doubt twice the weight though. I used to be very hefty - lost 100lbs in 6 months doing keto, but I'm still 230lbs, so I really hope you're not 460lbs :-p But still, look into keto - best thing ever, you old fart.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Drewbdoo wrote:Geez geekmaster, just trying to relate and you have to go all "sonny, I'm twice your age" on me :-p

I doubt twice the weight though. I used to be very hefty - lost 100lbs in 6 months doing keto, but I'm still 230lbs, so I really hope you're not 460lbs :-p But still, look into keto - best thing ever, you old fart.
Damn dude! Naw, I have lost 20 lbs recently (and still losing), but I am still heavier than you. Sorry about that, I didn't know you were an "old geezer" too (or I forgot, my memory isn't what it used to be).

Need to check out that keto stuff. Last time the wife was out of town (so I could control my own diet), I lost almost 50 lbs in just two months (South Beach diet, and beer!)...

Was it the daily beer that helped me lose weight so fast? :o

Sorry about memory issues, and any other accidental disrespect. I really wish the best for us all, and I try to do the best I can under my "unusual" circumstances. Social awareness is hard work for me, and I am not all that good at it, which is why I kept out of the public spotlight most of my life (my "fame" not extending far from corporate board rooms across the country and overseas too). At least I can be proud that my code will continue to run in machines all over the world, and one of my projects (on the cover of Scientific American magazine) is causing less excess chemical run-off from farm fields all over the world (Yay, mother nature!)...

I have only been exposing my inner mind in forums for 3 years now, so I have much to learn. I hope you accept my apology for being an accidental old fool.

I keep forgetting how many "Baby Boomers" (like me) are into VR too. I suppose the infamous "bell curve" affects VR afficionados as well as the rest. And we had to burn our precious years sitting through that VR lull between the 80's and now!

Regarding "old farts", they have their uses:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au2mOdwGENk
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

Wanna grasp the core of keto, check into Steve Gibson's (security now~twit.tv) in depth explanation of what/how/why. He physically stumbled on to it, due to a random diet change, and after noticing the biological change in his system, applied his drive, and focus toward understanding it completely. He did a few episodes where he explained what he learned.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

lnrrgb wrote:Wanna grasp the core of keto, check into Steve Gibson's (security now~twit.tv) in depth explanation of what/how/why. He physically stumbled on to it, due to a random diet change, and after noticing the biological change in his system, applied his drive, and focus toward understanding it completely. He did a few episodes where he explained what he learned.
Steve Gibson and I used to chat about "geek stuff" back in the day, via emails, before he announced to the world that SPAM was making him quit email and only commune with forum dwellers. Steve sent me stuff he was not allowed to publish online.
;)

I chatted with other famous "tech celebs" too. Fun times. I will indeed check out Steve's diet experience.

This one is great too (The Hacker's Diet):
https://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/

And this is awesome too (exhale your fat away!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGKLpYtZ19Q

Thanks for the tip! I will enjoy following up on that one. It may help save my (extended) life. I still have a bottle of those keto test strips like in the WikiPedia page here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

Good times and happy days ahead! :D
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Now that the topic of a keto-diet has come up, I see at the wikipedia page that it fuels the brain with ketones instead of the usual glucose brain fuel.

Where can I find a study comparing IQ test scores that show the difference between those two different brain fuel sources?

It would be a fascinating study. I wonder if somebody could get a research grant for such a thing...

If anybody has links showing cognitive differences based on brain fuels, please send them my way!
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Because ketones (such as MEK, like acetone) are highly flammable (much more than simple sugars that require a catalyst to burn), I suspect that ketones are a much more powerful source of fuel for the brain.

Perhaps nature's way of letting us "think smarter" in times of near starvation...

Perhaps the "guys in the back room with mismatched socks" (aspies) should be on a keto-diet to solve the problems even they cannot normally solve.
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

First of all, I didn't take any actual offense to anything. I just thought it was funny that you were like "oh, you young whippersnapper, in my day, computers where whoooole roooooms!" :-p I don't really know much about you other than what I've seen on here, which has been enough for me to see that you know your poop.

I've derailed another thread getting on my keto soapbox before, but I doubt anyone will care if I derail one about the heartbleed ssl thing taking down oculus's website.

The short answer on where you can find any research study done on keto is that you can't because they largely haven't been done. In all my searching, even when I find studies comparing low carb diets to traditional diets, when you look at the methodology it is always flawed, usually by letting the participants have over 100g of carbs a day. Keto is 20g or less carb/starch/sugar a day with your caloric intake being about 65/30/5 of fat/protein/carb. Anything I tell you is going to be all from personal experience and it is always hard to verify things like that as it can be twinged with my own perspective. But I'll give it a go anyway.

It's cool that you've brought up the brain. Usually, when I have to defend keto from anti lowcarbers, I usually hear "but your brain needs carbs!" as one of the points against it. The brain DOES need carbs, about 120g of glucose a day, to be precise. However, your body, through gluconeogensis can produce more than 150g/day glucose from protein, so we are good there. I hadn't actually thought about the fact that ketones are more flammable and that being a reason why one's brain can work better, etc, but I can state unequivocally that when I am in ketosis, I am much more lucid and clear. I feel very sharp and energetic. The moment I get weak and binge on carbs, I feel dulled.

When I use the fuel analogy, I like to say that carbs are like unleaded - its quick burning rocket fuel - the problem is that most people don't get a donut and then go burn off that sugar. Instead, they sit on their ass while their blood sugar is jacked, insulin is released to take all that excess blood sugar to the liver to be turned into fat, and suddenly you're hungry again because, wouldn't you know it, your blood sugar is low. Ketones are like diesel fuel. You eat some bacon and eggs in the morning and you'll be sipping on that fuel for hours and hours.

But anyway, yes, I do think it improves cognition. I don't think it is a starvation related thing. In fact, keto is the only "diet" in which you can loose weight while physically thriving. Most people gain muscle mass and vastly improve their cardiovascular system. When I first started it, in the first two months, I'd dropped my resting heart rate from 98bpm to a solid 60 and brought all my cholesterol levels from risky to normal, all while eating stuff like chicken cooked in bacon fat covered with more bacon and cheese with a side of bacon cheddar broccoli.

Hacking the body is a wonderful thing. I think the reason keto hasn't really kicked off is because it is really hard to make money off of it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. Biggest downside of keto? I enjoy to smoke the wacky tobbacky from time to time. THC is fat soluble. When you're in ketosis, fat becomes your primary fuel source and thus, in ketosis I metabolize pot like twice as fast. Sniff

Edit: Also, you mentioned that it powers the brain with ketones - it actually powers everything in your body with ketones and each organ is just fine with it. The brain is the only thing that needs a tiny bit of glucose, which your body makes already. There is strong evidence that ketonic acid is what our bodies originally were meant to run off of. The plains indians and the inuit are two examples of cultures that thrived on almost no carbs whatsoever. There's also some good theories out there that state that, in the abscense of tons of glucose coursing through your veins, vitamin needs are much lower as they don't need to fight with the glucose to be absorbed. The early explorers who studied the Inuit were interested in their diet of blubber and jerky caribou. Some adopted their diet and were fine while the sailors who stayed on their rations of crackers and dried peas developed scurvy. The Inuit, however, got all the Vitamin C they needed from the meat they were eating. I enjoy veggies, but humans eating cultivated food is still relatively new, evolutionarily speaking.

Edit 2: Just finished the video you posted and he is right about everything except at the very end when he talks about keto, which is still mostly spot on except he says that you run the risk of acidosis, refering to ketoacidosis, which is not at all the same as ketosis, though both involve production of ketones. His chemistry is the same it's just that there are a few more processes to add on to his equations - sugar into stored energy in the form of fat, your liver using that fat to make ketones, etc and so on. Your fat is still metabolized and leaves your body as h20 and co2, though I don't know enough organic chemistry to trace all the steps.
Last edited by Drewbdoo on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Also, I see your youtube link with one of my own. This one does a fantastic job of showing how the scientists who discovered blood lipids falsely made the connection that fat in = fat on the body, started telling everyone to avoid fat, everyone started eating more carbs and 30 years later, everyone is horribly overweight and we have an obesity epidemic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSeSTq-N4U4
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Interestingly, the WikiPedia page says a keto diet can be used to treat Autism (and probably Asperger's too) and also is effective in cases of Traumatic Brain Injury. Although decades old, my TBI may cause less memory disfunction if I begin a keto diet.

Perhaps that "high energy ketone brain fuel" thing has something to do with the claimed protective cognitive effects.

It seems so alien to me to eat a high-fat diet to lose weight, after a lifetime of propaganda to the contrary. But then, it is now claimed that eating high cholesterol foods does not cause high blood cholesterol (contrary to popular opinion). However, fat consumption DOES raise cholesterol, and a keto diet is said to raise blood cholesterol by 30-percent.

I am now torn between the keto diet and the calorie restriction diet, of salad as the main meal, with a small amount of a good oil like extra virgin olive oil, and a very small amount of meat as a garnish. They run counter to each other. And the keto diet can cause bone loss, which is not good in old age. How do I maximize my lifespan while maintaining my health (especially my brain health)? Perhaps periodically alternating both diets?

I plan to start the life-extending calorie-restriction diet on my next birthday, designating the halfway point in my planned life. But now the keto diet raised itself into my awareness and confused my plans. What to do? Somehow, a hybrid of both seems "logical".

Why I want to do calorie restriction:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie_restriction wrote:... Caloric restriction without malnutrition has been shown to work in a variety of species, among them yeast, fish, rodents and dogs to decelerate the biological aging process, resulting in longer maintenance of youthful health and an increase in both median and maximum lifespan. ... Research on maximum life span in that study is still ongoing. Calorie restriction is a feature of several dietary regimens, including the Okinawa diet and the CRON-diet. Sometimes calorie restriction is called calorie restriction with adequate nutrition (CRAN) to clarify that this is done while still keeping healthy levels of protein, vitamins and minerals while lowering calories. ... In 1934, Mary Crowell and Clive McCay of Cornell University observed that laboratory rats fed a severely reduced calorie diet while maintaining micronutrient levels resulted in life spans of up to twice as long as otherwise expected. These findings were explored in detail by a series of experiments with mice conducted by Roy Walford and his student Richard Weindruch. In 1986, Weindruch reported that restricting the calorie intake of laboratory mice proportionally increased their life span compared to a group of mice with a normal diet. The calorie-restricted mice also maintained youthful appearances and activity levels longer and showed delays in age-related diseases. The results of the many experiments by Walford and Weindruch were summarized in their book The Retardation of Aging and Disease by Dietary Restriction (1988) (ISBN 0-398-05496-7). The findings have since been accepted and generalized to a range of other animals. Researchers are investigating the possibility of parallel physiological links in non-human and human primates. In the meantime, many people have independently adopted the practice of calorie restriction in some form.
Various CR studies show a reduced risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease, but the "Minnesota Starvation Experiment" showed that taking this too far causes negative effects, which can also be a problem doing a CR diet with little or no body fat. Apparently you need SOME body fat to stay healthy (perhaps a source for ketosis?).
CR has been found to retard the decline in activity that occurs during normal aging: in one study, animals on a conventional diet "showed little activity" by early middle age, while those on CR "were observed to run around the cage and climb onto and hang from the wire cage tops throughout their life spans. In fact, the longest surviving [CR] mouse was observed hanging from the top of his cage only 3 days before he became moribund."
It appears that a calorie restriction diets causes MORE energetic behavior for the remaining enhanced lifespan, and not less as I was expecting. Perhaps the ketone "rocket fuel" enhances the brain and body while also extending lifespan. Better than I expected.

My hybrid diet will probably need a servo feedback loop to switch modes, controlled by BMI (body mass index). When sufficient body fat, do CR. When low body fat, do a ketogenic diet. That seems to make sense to me, and the variation in diet will certainly make the next 60 years much more interesting. Perhaps I will become important enough to deserve telomere reset treatments (especially after planetary depopulation). Only time will tell, and having more time in this case is a good thing, IMHO.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

An MITM hack attack on aging, eh? ;)
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

So, first off, I would highly highly suggest that you NOT alternate between the two because that will be a recipe for failure. It takes about 3 weeks to even get into ketosis - for the last component, the brain, to finally switch over to running on ketones fully. Most people who attempt lowcarb and fail is because they quit before this time period. They go through what is called keto-flu. Some people worse than others - I never had it because I studied the hell out of keto before attempting it and planned on avoiding keto flu. The keto-flu happens as a result of loosing your water weight as well as increasing water intake (which you should always do on a diet, but especially on keto - drink ALL the water) and as such, you loose a lot of minerals. I countered this by switching to a table salt with potassium, eating a lot of spinach (another good source of potassium) and drinking a zero cal, low carb energy drink with electrolytes every few days.

Anyway, that's beside the point. I'd recommend reading up on it, preparing yourself, and try it for a month and see how you feel. I'd also recommend something like myfitnesspal app, put in every single thing you eat because carbs are EVERYWHERE and you can get up to 20g in no time without realizing.

Now, as to caloric restriction - that's fine and all, but I think if you research keto a little more, you'll find that it is actually through caloric restriction that weight is lost. The biggest difference is you are loosing weight WITHOUT HUNGER. Let me explain: when you finally get fully into ketosis, a number of things happen. For one, ketones themselves are a natural hunger suppressant as well as suppressing the hunger hormone grellin (sp?). When you're in ketosis, sometimes you'll get to bedtime and realize you never ate dinner because you just weren't hungry. My boredom snacking stopped completely. This is partially because of what's going on hormonally, but also because in ketosis, you're carrying around a lot of your food on your body. In ketosis, I may eat up eating half of my caloric maintenance amount because the rest is being taken from the fat I'm carrying around with me. Being in ketosis allows me to metabolize what I eat and then switch right over to the fat I'm storing without hormones telling me I'm hungry again. Like in the video I posted, eating carbs makes it easy to over eat because of the blood sugar spike leading to insulin release leading to low blood sugar and hungry once again.

I don't believe in counting calories because really they are kind of meaningless. It is hard to think about fat being good after being told for so long that it is bad. Look at it this way, going back to the fuel analogy. Fat has 9 cal/g and carbs have 4 cal/g. People fear fat because it is calorically dense and so choose to eat carbs. But think about it - does it make sense to use a fuel that is half as energetic? Let's say that to run your body every day, you need about 2000 calories, you burn 2000 calories a day. If eat carbs, that means you are going to have to eat twice as many grams of carbs to fill you up as fat. People have been afraid of fat because it is calorically dense and the thinking goes that if something is fatty then it has more calories and thus it is bad for you when in reality you are x amount of calories hungry and will eat until that number is hit.

I'd definitely recommend more research on it before attempting anything. The best resource is the subreddit - reddit.com/r/keto

Oh, and as to why I would recommend against a hybrid is because it is so hard to get back to eating keto once you cheat on carbs. When you do that, you realize that carbs are really a drug. We have refined and purified carbs to the point that, like cocaine or heroin, it's an addictive substance. I can feel the high and the crash when I cheat and it's terrible. It is so so so much easier to just stay in ketosis. And everyone is different - I don't know your health and it's something you should talk over with your doctor before trying to sure. Many people do keto until they are at a place they feel comfortable and reintroduce some carbs - it's whatever you feel you can handle. For me though, I'm a former carb addict and it is a slippery slope.

Do let me know if you try it - I have tons of recipes and I'm all for coaching people. It's hard to start, that first month kinda sucks, but one day you wake up and everything just feels different. When that happened to me, it was the first time I'd felt free from being a slave to hunger.

Oh, and I don't know about autism, but I know it is a fantastic treatment for kids with epilepsy. The mechanisms responsible for all the misfiring in the brain apparently can't function without high glucose. I read a story about a kid who had 300 seisures a day with no sensitivity to medication come down to 1-2 a month with the keto diet working with medication.

Edit: How hilarious. I literally click submit on this post and click over to facebook and one of my friends had posted a link to this movie called Fed Up. I see Gary Taubles in there - he's one of the biggest guys behind keto and exposing what sugar/carbs are doing to us https://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/f ... ign=buffer
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

back on topic for a moment.

Regards openSSH compromised streams. How does this get to be able to have sites maskeraided.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

cgp44 wrote:back on topic for a moment.

Regards openSSH compromised streams. How does this get to be able to have sites maskeraided.
How dare you disrupt this thread with an on-topic post! (Just kidding). ;)

Actually, I am interested too, but just plan tired out from "dancing with trolls" in the "hitler" thread at oculusvr.com this morning, and yet not ready to catch some sleep. Just mellowing out a bit here at the moment. A beer would be nice about now. Oh, wait! I think we have one or two in the back of the fridge!

<goes to check the fridge>

Bingo! Negro Modelo, imported from Mexico! Nice (pseudo-)gold foil wrapper over the top. Hmm... Not twist off! Now where is that bottle opener?

<goes to check the misc kitchen tools drawer>

Bazinga! Into a nice gold-rimmed glass. Pour down the side to minimize foam. Ooh, a nice dark brew. Not too much hops, as I like it. Nice little sips, to make it last. savoring every swallow, and the lingering taste on my tongue...

A fine night-time counterpoint to my morning dance with the trolls. When this mellow brew reaches my brain, I will relax and sink into sleep. It has been awhile since I enjoyed a beer like this. It is time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POs4fNtf-pY
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Can't have beer, too many carbs ;)

Hard liquor, on the other hand, who-boy, zero carb AND keto makes you a bit of a lightweight so you're a cheaper drunk.

BAM! Back off topic
yautjacetanu
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yautjacetanu »

Yes Geekmaster come back!

I lurk in the oculusvr forums but I'm not a developer and I don't like lying even if it doesn't matter that much so I don't like having to put in a fake project when I'm registering.

But the feel of MTBS is really nice. Its kind of out in the waste lands a little, its a smaller group of people really into VR rather then the masses. Its like being forced to stay in detention after class with a teacher who can't control it and so you end up just chatting with some strangers about stuff.

Also, one thing I've found interesting is that mostly MTBS people who stick around are pretty ok about the Facebook thing and where trolls have tried to kick up a fuss, mostly its been just talked about and then dealt with. It just feels friendly here. (Its pretty friendly at oculusvr too but different, its more professional there)
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

yautjacetanu wrote:Yes Geekmaster come back! ... But the feel of MTBS is really nice. Its kind of out in the waste lands a little, its a smaller group of people really into VR rather then the masses. Its like being forced to stay in detention after class with a teacher who can't control it and so you end up just chatting with some strangers about stuff. ...
Most of my useful contributions have been at the OculusVR forum for awhile now (hard for my aspie mind to find time to dive deeply into more than one forum). But the ankle-biter trolls are coming out in droves over there since the Facebook news, and I am getting rather fed up with it.

Time for a little (or forever) vacation back here, where I have also had troll problems, but most of my detractors have become my supporters after being around me and my posts for awhile. The same thing happens at jobs, where it takes about six weeks for others to learn to appreciate me (which eventually becomes admiration, or sometimes jealous rage when I get recognition and special treatment from the CEO). Oh well, I like to make the world a better place, and perhaps I can continue doing that here at MTBS3D. This place may resume as my primary online hangout again.

But now I am spreading into the Technical Illusions forum too, and I tend to drill so deeply into whatever currently interests me, that it is hard to spread my free time between more than one site.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

http://xkcd.com/1354/

BTW, that is the same thing I do in my Razer Hydra code to read the 4K block of RAM starting with an HID feature report reply, claiming its length is much larger than the real data. When writing a packet, the Hydra seems to truncate it to known length, but reading allows that buffer overflow attack. Perhaps there is some useful info in there not normally returned in feature report requests.

On the Rift Tracker DK, it replaces the length I specify with its own known reply length, so no such buffer overflow leaks.

Really awkward that OpenSSL was vulnerable to such an attack. There are unconfirmed reports that the NSA had this heartbleed exploit in its bag of tricks for awhile now. Perhaps for computers that do not have the NSA encryption bypass chip installed in them, such as custom built computers like the Novena.

NSA heartbleed for years:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/1 ... 34813.html

NSA wireless spyjob:
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/ ... -home-test

Novena anti-NSA computer:
http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=3657

Edward Snowden's TED Talk:
http://www.ted.com/talks/edward_snowden ... e_internet
equusvenustas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by equusvenustas »

THAT COMPUTER! :o is what always wanted F**K YEAH, now i know they do exist now i need to get one. Thanks geekmaster for sharing this! now i will be able to mod a laptop to my liking like make it weather proof with an integrated solar panel the possibilities are endless muahahah
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Hmm... the OculusVR forum pages have been timing out for awhile now today. Not even a "maintenance" place-holder web page. It was working a couple of hours ago, but not now. I hope it is not serious...

Another weirdness on the net -- slashdot is timing out too.. Global net borkage? DOS attacks? Other websites I tried (including hackaday, google, and here) work just fine.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

An internet health report shows a lot of critical latencies (> 180 msec). And the bridge between the Cogent and Savvis segments of the net is more than 9 SECONDS latency at this time.
http://www.internetpulse.net/

The internet seems to be mostly broken in some places, so perhaps others here can see slashdot and oculusvr just fine, depending on your location on the net.

There must be some misbehaving botnets out there or something...
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Re: [Global DDOS attack!] OculusVR hacked again? MITM attack

Post by geekmaster »

If you click the "Attacks" checkbox here:
http://www.akamai.com/html/technology/dataviz1.html
you will see a LOT of angry red attack area in the US (eastern region and California), and also in Europe. So yeah, a giant DDOS attack on the Internet is currently in progress.
attack.jpg
I suspect people now in California may see local websites just fine, but much of the outside world (like where I am now) is locked out from those isolated web sites.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

The free SSL proxy at proxyssl.org was really slow coming up, but it works.

It cannot see http://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/ either. It returns a "504 Gateway Timeout" error.

However, it WAS able to pull up a slashdot page, even though I cannot access slashdot directly from my ISP (comcast). Very slow though... That confirms that different routes have different latencies, depending on your hop path.

The net is in sad shape at the moment. It will be back! We know not when, but it has always recovered before.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Interestingly, I just noticed that I CAN access the non-secure (HTTP) portions of OculusVR.com, but not any of the secure (HTTPS) pages, which includes share and forums. Perhaps they are having a secure sever issue, or the "developer" secure server is connected elsewhere on the internet where the ongoing DDOS attack is hiding it from me?
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Yep, it's a bit of a mess in some areas.

As for Keto diets, one has to be careful with their way of getting into it, as the stressing on the body can be quite high. Exercise and a very balanced intake of essentials is required.

The other thing is that the older one is, the harder it is to snap the body into ketosis.

Eg, a 20 year old male can do it in side of 24-36 hours.

A 50-55 year old woman can take 4-5-7 days of stressing in the same dietary state, just trying to get the body to snap into ketosis. Women have a more difficult time getting the body to respond, in that specific manner, from my understanding. Age is the other factor.

Genetics also play into it, and the balance/type of the gut bacteria that one has. I can go pretty far on a pure paleo type diet.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

The dev forums are back up (for now)..

Hmm... They show a constant series of posts spread over the past day, with no long gaps, so SOME PEOPLE were able to post there when I (and my remote proxy) had no secure access. Another symptom of a global DDOS attack, and as I said earlier, I suspected some people may have still had access during the period of (for me) down time.
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

KBK wrote:Yep, it's a bit of a mess in some areas.

As for Keto diets, one has to be careful with their way of getting into it, as the stressing on the body can be quite high. Exercise and a very balanced intake of essentials is required.

The other thing is that the older one is, the harder it is to snap the body into ketosis.

Eg, a 20 year old male can do it in side of 24-36 hours.

A 50-55 year old woman can take 4-5-7 days of stressing in the same dietary state, just trying to get the body to snap into ketosis. Women have a more difficult time getting the body to respond, in that specific manner, from my understanding. Age is the other factor.

Genetics also play into it, and the balance/type of the gut bacteria that one has. I can go pretty far on a pure paleo type diet.
Eh... I don't know where you get these numbers from. Starting from a baseline of "normal" carb intake and glucose, it typically takes a body 2-3 weeks to get into ketosis, male or female. You might start producing ketones in the first week or 2, but the brain is the last hold out and definitely takes about 3 weeks for it to switch over to using ketones. It is typically easier to get into ketosis the heavier you are and as women tend to have a higher percentage of body fat, perhaps that's where that came from, I'm not sure. I don't know where you're getting the idea that it is stressing the body. The only nutrient I'm ever low on is potassium and magnesium and it is more because I up my intake of water when in ketosis and thus flush a lot more of my minerals.

Paleo make no sense to me because of allowing fruit. It ignores the fact that the fruit we have today either didn't exist or existed in a tiny, much less sweet form in the Paleolithic era.

Return to “Oculus VR”