Best engine for rendering html/flash on 3D objects

xepiercex
One Eyed Hopeful

Best engine for rendering html/flash on 3D objects

Post by xepiercex »

All, I've got an Oculus project in mind that would require rendering of web pages, including interactable flash/ajax/js as a texture on a flat object like a 2D plane or the side of a cube. I know SecondLife/OpenSim experimented with that and maybe RealXtend supports it too. Do any of the big players like Unity or Unreal support features like this? I'm trying to find the very best content creation engine for functionality like this at the start so I don't have to rebuild later in a new engine. Thanks!

Pierce
lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Re: Best engine for rendering html/flash on 3D objects

Post by lmimmfn »

i can only speak for some stuff ive been looking at myself on the subject and i havnt tried this yet( least of my problems :) ) but you should be able to do it in UDK4 with Scaleform( the rendering flash stuff ) and render to texture. Not sure about the browser stuff tbh, doesnt Firebox do something like that?
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

I am pretty sure that unity (pro, at least) can support rendering things to textures.
xepiercex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by xepiercex »

Thanks for the responses! Is it possible to make these pages interactable though? I have heard it is extremely difficult to implement but I would need more than a static render of a web page or flash animation. Can buttons be clicked on page based on where a pointer in 3D space intersects with the plane the page is rendered on?

Pierce
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

In theory, sure. In practice, I don't know how many hoops you would have to jump through.

Return to “Oculus VR”