DK2 motion tracking

Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

DK2 motion tracking

Post by Mystify »

so, the dev kti 2 uses a camera and leds to provide motion tracking. Will this work if you have away from the camera? It seems like it would be very limiting for VR if you have to face the camera at all times. Does it perhaps use other sensors to extrapolate your position when the camera doesn't have a clear view?
ephesix
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: DK2 motion tracking

Post by ephesix »

From what I've heard when it is out of the camera's view it switches to the same kind of head tracking in the DK1, just rotational head tracking, and corrects when it comes back into view.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

That is worrisome. With how careful I had to be with the DK1 to not move around, having motion tracking suddenly cut out on me is going to feel awful. Especially if I am using a virtuix omni and rotating arbitrarily.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

No worries: Morpheus to the rescue

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/18/play ... l-reality/

"There's positional head tracking, a 3-meter working volume with full 360-degree tracking that works with the PlayStation Camera, and games can recognize the PS Move controller as a virtual object."
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
ephesix
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ephesix »

blazespinnaker wrote:No worries: Morpheus to the rescue

"There's positional head tracking, a 3-meter working volume with full 360-degree tracking that works with the PlayStation Camera, and games can recognize the PS Move controller as a virtual object."
There is no way I'm going to buy a Morpheus, PS Move and PS4 just for full motion tracking, but I'm sure CV1 will have it.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Mystify wrote:That is worrisome. With how careful I had to be with the DK1 to not move around, having motion tracking suddenly cut out on me is going to feel awful. Especially if I am using a virtuix omni and rotating arbitrarily.

Oculus said that they're targeting seated play for the consumer version, so by extension, DK2.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

That seems extremely limiting.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Yes, it's very cheezy. Good thing there is an alt
Kazioo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kazioo »

blazespinnaker wrote:No worries: Morpheus to the rescue

Valve would not agree. They claim that a mm accuracy is necessary in VR (DK2 is sub mm) and 800p PS camera that has to detect big light blobs definitely won't be able to do this.

Oculus could probably use a much wider FOV in their camera, which would hugely increase the tracking range but it would also stretch the resolution and decrease the precision.

Oculus clearly prioritize precision over range and freedom. Sony do the opposite, but it's not like they have a choice - they've already sold 900K cameras.

Also the tracking range seems to not be that different from the specs (if I understand it correctly). DK2: 2m (0.5m - 2.5m), Morpheus: 3m. FOV of both cameras is similar. DK2 feels like a much smaller range because they demo it closer to the headset. I wonder how far you can go before completely losing tracking...
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

I'm not really concerned about wandering away so much as facing backwards. or facing backwards and bending over.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/03/20/pl ... mpressions

LEDs on the back of Morpheus.

Hopefully OVR wakes up and does something similar in the consumer kit, otherwise I think they'll be relegated to the dust bin of history.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

blazespinnaker wrote:
Hopefully OVR wakes up and does something similar in the consumer kit, otherwise I think they'll be relegated to the dust bin of history.
Yet I was thinking they would be relegated to the dust bin because the lack of toe tracking. :roll:
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Kazioo wrote:Valve would not agree. They claim that a mm accuracy is necessary in VR (DK2 is sub mm) and 800p PS camera that has to detect big light blobs definitely won't be able to do this.
The author of the PS Move API did implement blob tracking with subpixel accuracy, what does make you think it's not possible to obtain millimeter accuracy with this technique ?
Kazioo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kazioo »

blazespinnaker wrote: Hopefully OVR wakes up and does something similar in the consumer kit, otherwise I think they'll be relegated to the dust bin of history.
I don't get it, blazespinnaker. I thought the future of VR is not hardware, but software. Why would anyone want Rift or Morpheus when you can slot your smartphone / nexus / minitablet / etc into a plastic housing with lenses?. :lol: :mrgreen:
Fredz wrote:The author of the PS Move API did implement blob tracking with subpixel accuracy, what does make you think it's not possible to obtain millimeter accuracy with this technique ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFc5nwaon5k
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

What am I looking at here?
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

I don't get it, blazespinnaker. I thought the future of VR is not hardware, but software. Why would anyone want Rift or Morpheus when you can slot your smartphone / nexus / minitablet / etc into a plastic housing with lenses?. :lol: :mrgreen:
Hey, >I< want the Rift. I've always said I love it. I also want 360 degree tracking.

But, just because I want it, doesn't mean the main stream is willing to fork out $300 for something so immensely socially isolating.

That being said, I also didn't think they'd solve the Nausea problem so quickly. The fact that they have made strides on this is pretty impressive and something you can't do with a smartphone.

I still don't see this as being a main stream gadget, however.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

I think it would be at least as mainstream as video games had been. Sure, it may not be something your grandma has(though I think this has for more mass appeal than old games did) but there is still going to be a sizable body of people who will play it. I don't get complaints about it being socially isolating; its not as if people haven't been playing games alone. Nor do I think this a niche desire; there is a reason VR has been so prevalent in media; the concept is compelling.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

I dunno, it feels like the google glass. Just waaay too nerdy.

Maybe at some point, say 5-10 years from now it will be socially acceptable.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

Google glass is nerdy. VR has a more primal appeal.
3trip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3trip »

yeah google glass and most AR setups will look extra nerdy until they shrink the tech to fit within existing frames.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Kazioo wrote:[
Fredz wrote:The author of the PS Move API did implement blob tracking with subpixel accuracy, what does make you think it's not possible to obtain millimeter accuracy with this technique ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFc5nwaon5k
The video isn't a fair assessment of the optical hardware so much as it's a representation of the limitations of IMUs.

Sub pixel blob tracking is easy. Just threshold the image, Perform a flood fill of each individual blob (and add up the positions and number of pixels as you go), Divide the positions by the number of pixels and blammo!

In this video I'm displaying a pure cyan rectangle on my iphone screen (that's why it changes size when I tilt my phone):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcjehjogzfo
Dantesinferno
Cross Eyed!

Post by Dantesinferno »

@zalo hey bro, check out my controller and gun, using similar tracking:

[youtube-hd]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyC1fWq ... DJYloQ5QQw[/youtube-hd]
realyst2k
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by realyst2k »

I feel the occlusion problem can be resolved by simply throwing in an LED pattern on the back facing the sides, like Sony did.

Also, sticking with IR like Oculus does prevent a number of environmental issues so far as competing colours, etc...(provided you're not in front of a sunny window or a blazing fire...at which point take the Rift off and run, you fool!). Sony went the visible colour route since the LED colours also denotes the player. This isn't an issue here.

Have they actually shown the field of view of their proprietary camera yet? I wonder if it already is quasi-fisheyed or not(didn't see any feeds on the GDC footage I saw, does anyone have any clips?) which would further explain why they went with a proprietary option.

Return to “Oculus VR”