2 Rifts, 1 PC and Softxpand

RikuDesu
One Eyed Hopeful

2 Rifts, 1 PC and Softxpand

Post by RikuDesu »

The software Softxpand (Windows 7 only!) lets you create two workstations. I've tested pluging in the rift into both stations and I can say that it works. Tracking data doesn't look like it gets too confused either. Just make sure you assign the USB device and the rifts to the appropriate workstations.

Softxpand lets you use the Integrated GPU as one station and a Discrete GPU as another (actually it allows for multiple stations per video out.)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: 2 Rifts, 1 PC and Softxpand

Post by cybereality »

That's pretty cool.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

Nice, I imagine that means it will work for CastAR too!
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

How is that better than as many virtual PCs as you want with VirtualBox or other VM solutions?

In VirtualBox I can pass any USB devices (including multiple mouse and multiple keyboard) to any VM I want, and they support GPU hardware acceleration too. And cost a lot less as well. And you can share memory between the VMs with balloon drivers, even when using different client VMs (such as Linux and Windows sharing memory betweem them and the host OS, each with their own balloon drivers).

Multiple Rifts work fine in VirtualBox, and multiple Hydras too (if you get them far enough apart to avoid magnetic crosstalk).
RikuDesu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RikuDesu »

I've always thought that this solution was faster then running VMs. It's what my local cybecafe uses to play games. You can also assign different video cards like a 780 and a 660 on the same pc and the whole card gets used with its respective workstation.

Return to “Oculus VR”