TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

museumsteve
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by museumsteve »

JustJoshin wrote:I will start out by saying that I don't think any of these experiences compare to the overall experience I had playing and finishing HL2 in VR. HL2 obviously has the advantage of receiving a bit more love and attention from valve to retrofit it. Designed for VR is always going to be better than retro fitted which in turn is going to be better than driver enabled so with expectations in check....

Fallout 3

Generally speaking fallout 3 played pretty well. The default profile has it set to an FOV of 65 which places the screen out in front of you with a huge black box around the side so it isn't very immersive at all. If you increase the FOV to wrap around you it feels very zoomed in and you also completely lose the UI (common in most games). Additionally, the size of objects and scale seemed quite odd. Generally speaking the stereoscopic 3d and head tracking (mapped to mouse) worked fine. It's these other areas that obviously let it down.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit

Surprisingly this worked fairly well. The sense of depth wasn't amazing but it felt better than playing on a 2d screen. Immersion wasn't too bad as you don't' really need to see your speedometer and what not anyway so HUD issues are less important in this game. What is possibly even more evident in car games than in FPS games is the extreme lack of resolution. Cars more than one or two car lengths away just look like blobs, you can't look out into the distance and see where a road is properly curving etc. Objects just don't have enough detail and I guess car games traverse distance greater than FPS games so it is a bit more noticeable.

Deus Ex Human Revolution

I need to go back and try this one a little more before I make a final judgement on it. I wasn't as blown away as I was hoping to be. This just seemed like the perfect game / setting for it. Would be a great one to retrofit but I doubt it will ever happen.

Metro Last Light

Work well. I think the default profile bumps the FOV up from 55 to 90. Even at 90 world scale is a little strange and your arm length and weapon are quite long. Metro LL is an amazingly immersive game to begin with and in terms of putting you into the thick of things it was great. I may have to go back and do a new play through in VR. I just wish the resolution was higher because Metro LL is a beautiful game.

Far Cry 3

Need to do some more testing and tweaking of values. I didn't find the overall experience too good though tbh.

The resolution of the dev kit didn't really bother me in HL2. I just had a blast all the way through to the end (20hr play through). Having played Deus Ex, Metro LL and NFS Hot Pursuit with the TriDef driver I just couldn't help but crave a higher resolution panel. The oculus rift support is only experimental at this stage so the overall experience / support could still get a bit better. I will do another update once I get some time to play around with some more games in TriDef before my trial is up.
Thanks for taking the time to do this mate :)

I'm desperate to get mine up and running tonight to try some racers but it's messy as I use 3 projectors and 2 USB monitors so eyefinity goes nuts when I start unplugging stuff.
I think I'll unplug everything and just plug in a standard monitor and Rift..
BaT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BaT »

Paintbrush wrote:Anyone tried Mirror's Edge yet?
Just tried Mirror's Edge with the new TriDef beta.

It starts up okay, but after a few seconds de vertical headtracking gets inverted (it started out correctly)!? So it becomes unplayable for me.
Haven't had the time to check all settings, but it looked like i couldn't reverse it (also invert mouse dind't change a thing)

Like I said; haven't checked all settings yet: It looked 3D; but not as good as what I've seen in native Rift support in HL2/TF2; more like playing on a large 3D widescreen (i could see black borders). Rotation and horizontal tracking worked fine btw.

Did anyone else try Mirror's Edge yet?
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

BaT wrote:
Paintbrush wrote:Anyone tried Mirror's Edge yet?
Just tried Mirror's Edge with the new TriDef beta.

It starts up okay, but after a few seconds de vertical headtracking gets inverted (it started outcorrectly)!? So it becomes unplayable for me.
Haven't had the time to check all settings, but it looked like i couldn't reverse it (also invert mouse dind't change a thing)

Like I said; haven't checked settings yet: It looked 3D; but not as good as what I've seen in native Rift support in HL2/TF2; more like playing on a large 3D widescreen (i could see black borders). Rotation and horizontal tracking worked fine btw.

Did anyone else try Mirror's Edge yet?
Just turn the headtracking to manual rather than auto through the in game OSD menu and the CTRL plus Numpad 6 / 4 to adjust it. I.e. if it is -500 change it to 500. You can also use this to adjust the sensitivity.

Guys we really need to make sure everyone understands the instructions before reporting something is working or not.
BaT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BaT »

Thnx Baggyg,

Didnt had the time to read the instructions yet; just had 5 minutes during break at work to test it.
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

BaT wrote:Thnx Baggyg,

Didnt had the time to read the instructions yet; just had 5 minutes during break at work to test it.
No problem. I wasn't criticising you, just hoping that as a community on MTBS we can perhaps get a good guide going so that new users dont have a ton of settings to test (and there are a lot) or fail trying.

Please do let us know how you get on with mirrors edge once you have had time to play.
JustJoshin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JustJoshin »

TheHolyChicken wrote:I'm not saying these drivers shouldn't exist, but frankly I only want to see them in the hands of expert users who fully appreciate what they're potentially putting themselves in for.
I totally agree. I don't think it is a bad thing at all that a couple of 3rd party driver experiences are cropping up to enable some of our older games but the experience across those games varies so wildly which is not a good thing from a general consumer's perspective and knowing what to expect with the product. After all, whilst driver enabled games are in no way indicative of all experiences in the oculus rift, your average user doesn't really care. A poor experience with the oculus rift is a poor experience.
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

I'm looking forward to trying out some of these option, but I can't help but think that they need to try something else.

DDD and 3D Vision were designed to be played on 3D screens and monitors which are (usually) flat surfaces sitting in front of the player. Give me a huge 3D screen in the rift as an option instead of trying to hack head tracking straight into the game. If they do something like deskope they won't even have to warp it (although roll would be nice). If I need to see a UI element on the edge of the screen, I can look down at that part of the virtual screen like I always have. With a large enough virtual screen and correctly set convergence, the immersion factor would still be quite high without the 100% VR Buy in that head tracking in the game requires.

While not being your "awesome totally there VR experience", this is how you get your foot in the door with a lot of legacy games in a way that's natural and doesn't require a barf bag for the cut scenes and loading screens.

It would also give me back the wall in my office devoted to the 78" 3D screen and projector.
Arni1984
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Arni1984 »

FR3D wrote:I've tried Fallout3 and Skyrim.
The framerate drops down to 5 fps or less !!!

NewVegas not starting ...

( All my games are extremly modded with tons of high res texture mods - maybe thats my problem )

3770k / 16GByte / 2x 580gtx SLI

best regards FR3D
TriDef - does not support SLI. You still only one GTX580.
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Ericshelpdesk wrote:I'm looking forward to trying out some of these option, but I can't help but think that they need to try something else.

DDD and 3D Vision were designed to be played on 3D screens and monitors which are (usually) flat surfaces sitting in front of the player. Give me a huge 3D screen in the rift as an option instead of trying to hack head tracking straight into the game. If they do something like deskope they won't even have to warp it (although roll would be nice). If I need to see a UI element on the edge of the screen, I can look down at that part of the virtual screen like I always have. With a large enough virtual screen and correctly set convergence, the immersion factor would still be quite high without the 100% VR Buy in that head tracking in the game requires.

While not being your "awesome totally there VR experience", this is how you get your foot in the door with a lot of legacy games in a way that's natural and doesn't require a barf bag for the cut scenes and loading screens.

It would also give me back the wall in my office devoted to the 78" 3D screen and projector.
I'm not quite sure what you are saying here. TriDef have added support for the Rift. This means it achieves the overlap and warp settings needed.

It is completely up to you how big you want that to show in the Rift. You want it to cover your complete FOV, fine. You want it to appear as a big tv, the option is there. Tridef have given you this option which is exactly what you are asking for, no?

It sounds a little like you have not really given this any time. I really think the TriDEf guys are onto a good driver here for the Rift.
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

baggyg wrote: You want it to appear as a big tv, the option is there.
Are you saying that the Tridef drivers can now display a virtual "TV" screen that allows me to use head tracking to look around to the edges of the screen like virtual cinema or deskope?
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Ericshelpdesk wrote:
baggyg wrote: You want it to appear as a big tv, the option is there.
Are you saying that the Tridef drivers can now display a virtual "TV" screen that allows me to use head tracking to look around to the edges of the screen like virtual cinema or deskope?
Not quite - although I agree that could be a interesting idea. At the moment you can reduce the FOV so that it appears much like a massive screen in front of you (rather than trying to take up all your view) sans headtracking.

This may be something you can ask the devs about. They have been very good responding on their official forum. They have a "to do" list so they may look to add this to it. Im not sure of the technical side but potentially quite doable.
Lurch666
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Lurch666 »

I tried dark souls and after a bit of tweaking it looked great.Looked like I had a little dude standing in a cool environment.Hard to play the game properly but looks good for a third person game.
Applemung
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Applemung »

Is it just me or is it quite difficult to get any FPS iron sight to focus at the rearmost part of the gun?
The tip of the barrel gets in focus but the rear half of the sights look like they need to converge more.
Example, Killing floor: Lever action rifle, ring rear sight with single turret at the end of the barrel. The turret and barrel look amazing and sense of depth is top notch
but the rear ring sight looks like it is in double and I can not change anything to get it back without ruining other settings. I'll take a screen shot later to compare Vireio and TriDef. With vireio it just works when I start it up.
Maybe its just me and my newbieness but what setting should I try to change? I set the FOV to force a value of 90 as I am using the C cups
that fov seems to be best for me. I have tried custom focus points but they don't seem to change anything.

As another example I'll mention Borderlands 2. Currently I can get Vireio working easily. The gun looks good, the scenery looks great even at a distance and when you pull up iron sights nothing blurs with the gun in focus and your target in focus. The only problem is that quick and sudden head movements are not tracked by vireio.
With Tridef, the head tracking is great with no issues found yet but I can only get it to focus either near field or far field. I have set it to near field because that's where all the action occurs, even then it's a struggle.

At the moment I'm putting these issues down to my little experience with these types of things but any advice on what to change first would be great.
On an afterthought I remember in Vireio some of the worldscale factors were set quite high (sometimes 100), is it the same type of adjustment in the TriDef world scale factor adjustment?? I haven't tried fiddling with it too much in TriDef because It seems to do strange things with the gun position and iron sights.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

I managed to have a play tonight.
I tried Forumula Trucks, Game Stock Car and GTR Evolution. All worked okay, GTR looked the best as it's a lower res game anyway (being old). I didn't get any headtracking working yet but wasn't fussed.
How are people getting headtracking ?

Project Cars and rFactor 2 wouldn't work for me. I changed pCARS to DX9, it did everything okay but when it went to the actual race I got a few elements of the car and a washy grey type screen. rFactor 2 wouldn't show the up properly in 3D so couldn't do anything.

But I'm chuffed with knowing I'll be able to do some racing this weekend with my motion and simvibe :)

Just someone tell me how to get headtracking working :D
marauderxp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by marauderxp »

Aliens vs Predator was a fun experience last night, though there a couple of minor issues. You need to set the X-axis custom tracking to -600 instead of + because otherwise X-axis is inverted. And with a higher forced game FOV through the Tridef OSD, there are lighting/graphics distortions at the edges when looking around, but it's not that bad and doesn't really hinder things. Well it didn't for me anyway. I used game+output FOV of 90, and also had to reduce the world-scale setting to get the stereo seperation right. But it looks really superb and playing this game in the rift added to the atmosphere and scare factor.
Pokey
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pokey »

Is this proper Rift support?

Some people saying "more 3d than VR" and talking about proper stereo separation make me think it's doing something I might not be able to see, being stereoblind. My Rift is on it's way. Would it be worth it to buy this product as a stereoblind user?
Applemung
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Applemung »

Unless you have already done so TriDef has a 14 day free trial. So when you get the opportunity you can download TriDef 3d, then download the beta drivers and activate the 14 day free trial and see if it's something you want to pay for. There seems to be a lot of confusion among the Oculus crowd (mainly the oculus.vr forum) that this is a fully working plug and play product, they also seem to be unaware that there is a 14 day trial period and buy the TriDef software straight up.

So far I have been impressed with the software but I'll wait and see how things go as I would buy it when they support DX 10/11 as Vireio works fine for what I do.

Some games seem to be working off the bat and others require more fine tuning. Some I just can't get a comfortable configuration.
Applemung
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Applemung »

I forgot to mention, I can not get TriDef and Vireio to work independently. TriDef will always hijack even when the TriDef application is not running.
I had to uninstall the TriDef beta drivers to get Vireio to work again. I even tried removing the game launchers from the TriDef application but it still
would hijack regardless even if I wanted to play in normal monitor mode. Another bug I found was that some games would continue to run after exiting (still in process manager).
marauderxp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by marauderxp »

Perhaps 2 registry files to load/unload the TRidef registry data might be an idea?? I would imagine the injection of Tridef is reliant on at least some of its registry entries?
Mattijs
Cross Eyed!

Post by Mattijs »

Applemung wrote:I forgot to mention, I can not get TriDef and Vireio to work independently. TriDef will always hijack even when the TriDef application is not running.
I had to uninstall the TriDef beta drivers to get Vireio to work again. I even tried removing the game launchers from the TriDef application but it still
would hijack regardless even if I wanted to play in normal monitor mode. Another bug I found was that some games would continue to run after exiting (still in process manager).
can't you just find the .dll that does the hijacking and rename that to whatever...i do that to vireio when it's in a games folder and when i try other vireio version for example...
Or to the opentrack folder when i want to play war thunder which doesn't have oculus tracking when there's an opentrack somewhere on your system.

I actually have never seen such behaviour in anything..I only know found out through opentrack +warthunder that pieces of software can have such an impact...i also don't really understand how the interaction comes to be.
Lurch666
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Lurch666 »

@museumsteve:

Press 0 on the numpad to bring up the menu
then HMD settings/head tracking then change track yaw and pitch from auto to ON.Same with track roll.If the head tracking is off or inverted turn off auto calc and manually change the settings as mentioned earlier in this thread.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

Lurch666 wrote:@museumsteve:

then HMD settings/head tracking then change track yaw and pitch from auto to ON.Same with track roll.If the head tracking is off or inverted turn off auto calc and manually change the settings as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Thanks mate :) I'll have another look tonight. I get roll but no left/right rotation.
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

museumsteve wrote:

Thanks mate :) I'll have another look tonight. I get roll but no left/right rotation.
The roll is just a skew of the view and hence doesn't need to be supported by the game. The yaw and pitch through TriDef are just mouse emulation. Therefore no mouselook in game = no headtracking. I have found on the racing games etc it is better to use opentrack or freepie to handle the headtracking (especially where trackIR is supported).
BaT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BaT »

So I've had some more time to play with TriDef; got the tracking all working correctly with Mirror's Edge now (pitch and yaw both need to be around 450) and it looks pretty neat, except for 1 thing: the warping image doesn't seem to be 'stable'; it flashes/renders a lot of regular full screen images (at random intervals) in between , which is quite annoying. I tried this on 2 different machines and they both reproduce the same flashes.

Is this a common issue? I didn't find anything in the documentation; changing the output quality didn't change a thing..
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

Applemung wrote:I forgot to mention, I can not get TriDef and Vireio to work independently. TriDef will always hijack even when the TriDef application is not running.
This happens when you start a Steam game and let Steam running after this.
As soon as you close Steam Tridef should close as well and you can use Vireio only.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

baggyg wrote:
museumsteve wrote:

The roll is just a skew of the view and hence doesn't need to be supported by the game. The yaw and pitch through TriDef are just mouse emulation. Therefore no mouselook in game = no headtracking. I have found on the racing games etc it is better to use opentrack or freepie to handle the headtracking (especially where trackIR is supported).
:)

It sounds stupid but I was wondering about that. I never really used tracking before as I use triple screens so never felt the need.
Applemung
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Applemung »

Valez wrote:
This happens when you start a Steam game and let Steam running after this.
As soon as you close Steam Tridef should close as well and you can use Vireio only.
If I restart steam will TriDef run again automatically?

EDIT: No TriDef does not restart upon steam restart
JustJoshin
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JustJoshin »

Has anyone tried FarCry 3 yet? I was really hoping to do another play through in the Rift but the performance is horrible.

Normally I can run the game maxed out fine in 1920x1080. Switching the resolution down to 1280x800 and everything low I still hit 20fps using TriDef 3d :\

For reference, I have an i7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz and a 7870HD, 8gig ram and an ssd. Anyone managed to achieve nice playable frame rates?
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

Does the driver work without a rift plugged in?

I know I would get the headtracking functions. I have a DIY Rift which I would like to use with TriDef so I just need the game to look like it should, I can then do head tracking with TrackIR or Mouse Emulation.

Matt.
mrgrey
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mrgrey »

Yes, it works without the rift. I know because mine has not arrived yet but I have tested the tridef drivers successfully with several games
Pixelcat
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Pixelcat »

I tried this software with Chivalry!

It semi worked. The only problem I had that kept me from playing was the settings for the mouse kept resetting. I would set inverted mouse to false and play a few rounds with perfect head tracking . In the middle of a duel the up/down would just flip and down was up and up was down.
Arni1984
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Arni1984 »

Hi Rifters!
I have noticed that in many 3D games for RIFT via TriDef - not expressive! Even with the depth adjustment 100. I Miss Adjustment of Convergence! Toe shots to enlarge. Adjust the foreground and background is not working for RIFT! Any ideas?
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

Has anyone solved the fallout 3 and NV controller issue? Its like the original skyrim issue. Head tracking stops when controller is enabled.
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Although its not the simplest solution out, you can use xPadder to map the xbox controller to keybinds / mouse etc and play not in controller mode. Its quite easy to set up and works perfectly with headtracking, however you wont get the onscreen prompts for the correct button (but with games like fallout I have found its not that useful anyway). Alternatively I have a freePIE script for doing the same thing if anyone wants to go down that route. It takes a little bit more time to set up but has the advantage of being free.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

baggyg wrote:Although its not the simplest solution out, you can use xPadder to map the xbox controller to keybinds / mouse etc and play not in controller mode. Its quite easy to set up and works perfectly with headtracking, however you wont get the onscreen prompts for the correct button (but with games like fallout I have found its not that useful anyway). Alternatively I have a freePIE script for doing the same thing if anyone wants to go down that route. It takes a little bit more time to set up but has the advantage of being free.
Xpadder is also free, at least the old versions are.
You can download it for free here: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5869-xpadder.html (This download is legal)

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I haven't been able to get this to work on my machine in the office.

With HL2 I see the black dude's head for a few seconds, the screen flickers, then goes black forever. Have to hard reset the computer to escape from it. No, I am not using the -vr flag and I have tried with forcing DX9 or without any command line options.

With Bioshock 2 is says "3D Not Enabled" and some strange message that I don't recall.

Gonna try this at home and see if I have better luck.

Also, I am using a GTX 690 at work, could this be an SLI related issue?
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

cybereality wrote: With Bioshock 2 is says "3D Not Enabled" and some strange message that I don't recall.
This sounds like a directX 10 issue. Make sure you are using -dx9 command line option.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

It's a revelation for me 8-)
After spending some time tonight (didn't take a lot of time) I got opentrack working and spent a while playing GTR Evolution/Race07 with TriDef and it was brilliant.

Main advantage I found/felt was that as it's an old game it was built pretty low res. It really felt like this was an advantage with the low res of the Rift.
The best thing tonight was playing the Formula RR add-on. The cockpit view has your player in a virtual crash helmet, this is perfect for the Rift as it really feel like you have a crash helmet on.
3dRat
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3dRat »

I bought a tridef license a while ago to play tomb raider and bioshock infinite... never worked very well...
and now this news! tridef supports rift!.

Skyrim Besides the fact that you need to turn off the gamepad controller in order to have full head tracking and the fact that the fps was very low with my initial settings, after playing with the tridef settings and disabled vsync (it seemed to add latency but not quite sure) it played relatively good.

Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition: I bought this one when it was with discount in steam, never played too much.. But with tridef+rift it rocks! theres no head tracking but for this kind of game is almost no need of it (although I wish it could be played like in a vr cinema room). The stereoscopic 3d is almost perfect when fighting, besides you can hide all hud if you want. With tridef ingame menu you have a lot of options including chaging the game fov and "output" fov that changes the size of the "screen". Playing with that values and other like depth the result was pretty good. In the africa scenario you feel like the hippos almost can reach you! :woot

lmimmfn
Cross Eyed!

Post by lmimmfn »

cybereality wrote:I haven't been able to get this to work on my machine in the office.

With HL2 I see the black dude's head for a few seconds, the screen flickers, then goes black forever. Have to hard reset the computer to escape from it. No, I am not using the -vr flag and I have tried with forcing DX9 or without any command line options.

With Bioshock 2 is says "3D Not Enabled" and some strange message that I don't recall.

Gonna try this at home and see if I have better luck.

Also, I am using a GTX 690 at work, could this be an SLI related issue?
This wrecked my head for ages, the £D not enabled is because its running in DX10, if you got the this is not a DX9, 10 or 11 game then for both issues, right click on the game on steam, select "Create a Shortcut"( this creates a steam link as opposed to a physical drive location link ), in Tridef select add game if it doesnt detect it then locate it from the "Desktop shortcut....." option.

This means it will launch the steam game and use the steam options, so in steam make sure you have the launch options set to "-dx9"( right click game, select launch options, then "set launch options" and have it as "-dx9" without quotes.

Hope that helps, im crap at explaining lol :)

Return to “Oculus VR”