TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Re: TriDef 3D Oculus Rift feedback thread

Post by Ryuuken24 »

War Thunder has native support for the Rift. It's in the video menu, just tick the box where it says oculus rift.
museumsteve
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by museumsteve »

Ryuuken24 wrote:War Thunder has native support for the Rift. It's in the video menu, just tick the box where it says oculus rift.
Yes it has, but it's an early implementation and has some issues, not being able to zoom out in the cockpit view is one of the main issues. I assume using TriDef will get over that as it has options for changing the FOV on the fly.
mbuehler
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mbuehler »

Yeah, it lacks zoom, lead reticles, adjustable FOV, adjustable 3D (current 3D very weak), several alternate views like virtual cockpit don't work, etc. etc. I'm very glad they put it in, it just isn't done yet.

In the mean time, this seems to resolve all those problems :)

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/ ... /?p=803062
Taniz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Taniz »

I tried this new game called Vapour (http://www.skobbejakgames.com/) on my Rift and I encountered some problems.

The head tracking is inverted. When I tried to do as you guys suggested for other games, setting head tracking to manual and setting
pitch and yaw to 500-ish, the head tracking works fine for few seconds, then it resets and goes back to inverted and the sensitivity on the
tracking is nuts.

Tough the game is playable with only roll function, I encourage you to try out even without headtracking (whilst using Oculus Rift).
Gunshot
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Gunshot »

urhg. Not trying to be dumb here, but i cant get this darn thing to work... was going to just do the free trial but when i downloaded it and tried to click the exe. it just opened in notepad. and when i ended up getting it to open to the activation window, and this is the part that irks me, on the sites FAQ it has a picture of the exact window i have. and it says "if you want to start a free trial, just click the start trial button." but in my activation window as well as their super helpful reference photo, there is no such button... all i can do is say i dont have a code and click the "later" button which just closes the window... any help other than just pay for an activation code would be awesome.
goettel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by goettel »

Gunshot wrote:urhg. Not trying to be dumb here, but i cant get this darn thing to work... was going to just do the free trial but when i downloaded it and tried to click the exe. it just opened in notepad. and when i ended up getting it to open to the activation window, and this is the part that irks me, on the sites FAQ it has a picture of the exact window i have. and it says "if you want to start a free trial, just click the start trial button." but in my activation window as well as their super helpful reference photo, there is no such button... all i can do is say i dont have a code and click the "later" button which just closes the window... any help other than just pay for an activation code would be awesome.
Just make a ticket on their support page and they'll send you a 14 trial code. I had the exact same thing.
Shannonb1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shannonb1 »

Has anyone figured out a good way to get a xbox 360 controller to work with Counter Strike : GO? I dont like using keyboard and mouse and would like to stand up , I have a hyrda so I would love to go Cover Shooter style on it.
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

Shannonb1 wrote:Has anyone figured out a good way to get a xbox 360 controller to work with Counter Strike : GO? I dont like using keyboard and mouse and would like to stand up , I have a hyrda so I would love to go Cover Shooter style on it.
If you were willing to do the work, You could quite easily read the hydra x/y values through freePIE and convert these to small WASD movements. Regarding the controller nothing yet apart from simply using Xpadder to map the controls. I suspect since there are other ways around the issue, it is quite low on TriDef to do list. I presume they would have to do joystick emulation to get this working.

I suppose my question would be why aren't you using the Hydra to control rather than a xbox pad - you wouldnt have any issues at all then
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

personally i feel like the whole beta was rushed, it feels like nothing more then a rip off of the perception drivers, even using the same type of rendering which is more longways and the fact that it only "offically" supports just a small handfull of games. I tried it with skryim, it was ok..3d seemed nice but the head tracking was just not right yet. it needs work. i am not paying 50 bucks for a driver that does not improve much on the already free perception drivers. i think i'll wait for Vorpx which the guy seems to be taking the time needed to get it right. I think tridef rushed this too early and they should have gave it more time for polish and i think the gushing and praise over it is overrated.
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

New beta 4 available with the much desired option to have a hotkey that switches to a temporary "safe" fov so we can read menus and info on the corners that is not viewable on the Oculus Rift. It also has the option to render the OSD in a Rift friendly mode so we don't need to look at the monitor to adjust settings. And they also added new profiles for Metro 2033, Portal, rFactor 2, TrackMania Nations Forever (no Head Tracking) and Proun (no Head Tracking).
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Evenios wrote:personally i feel like the whole beta was rushed, it feels like nothing more then a rip off of the perception drivers, even using the same type of rendering which is more longways and the fact that it only "offically" supports just a small handfull of games. I tried it with skryim, it was ok..3d seemed nice but the head tracking was just not right yet. it needs work. i am not paying 50 bucks for a driver that does not improve much on the already free perception drivers. i think i'll wait for Vorpx which the guy seems to be taking the time needed to get it right. I think tridef rushed this too early and they should have gave it more time for polish and i think the gushing and praise over it is overrated.
Thanks for the whining and moaning again. It would be nice if MTBS was a place for constructive criticism rather than just people saying "I dont like it"! If you spent a bit more time with the driver trying out the many games the rest of us had (to which plenty work, even if not "officially" supported) perhaps you could come back with some constructive feedback that the Tridef team could use improve the driver and everyone could benefit. The latest beta just released is a direct response to a lot of users testing and now features some good ideas including changing the longways rendering.

Perhaps you misunderstood what Experimental Rift support means.
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

Well said, baggyg.

Thanks for the info Juanlo!
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Evenios wrote:personally i feel like the whole beta was rushed, it feels like nothing more then a rip off of the perception drivers, even using the same type of rendering which is more longways and the fact that it only "offically" supports just a small handfull of games. I tried it with skryim, it was ok..3d seemed nice but the head tracking was just not right yet. it needs work. i am not paying 50 bucks for a driver that does not improve much on the already free perception drivers. i think i'll wait for Vorpx which the guy seems to be taking the time needed to get it right. I think tridef rushed this too early and they should have gave it more time for polish and i think the gushing and praise over it is overrated.
Hang on just a minute. You complain that TriDef's experimental beta(!) support is not good enough and is "rushed" - yet you rant at VorpX for taking too long; that he should release it already and there's no need to be a perfectionist. Are you schizophrenic? You can't have it both ways.

From http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 45#p138845 , regarding VorpX:
i think he is going about this like a commercial/retail product instead of realizing gee.this is a DEV KIT it DOESNT HAVE TO BE PERFECT!
I dont know what dark hole he has been in for the last few months but apparently hes taking his sweet little time over this
But no....this guy has to be mr profectionest
its his little baby and when "he" magically decides that its "ready" (i have no idea at what point that would be? whats the critiera for it to be "ready?" hmm? it could be weeks, it could be months . for the last few months all he said was "when its ready". who the hell knows.
you know what i hope> it would serve him right if Tridef came out with a program before him. they already have side by side 3d working in like what "700 games?" they said? all it needs is the prewarping and head tracking and ...
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Applemung
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Applemung »

Don't worry about him, same guy that complains about BETA drivers not being perfect in the Oculus Forums. I think that he also forgets that it is not $50 for the beta drivers but $50 for TriDef3D which just happens to have a beta support for Oculus.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

This may be a stupid question, but does this mean rFactor 2 should have headtracking without having to use Opentrack?
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

museumsteve wrote:This may be a stupid question, but does this mean rFactor 2 should have headtracking without having to use Opentrack?
It certainly reads that way.
- To enable look-around, press the game's "Toggle Free Move" hotkey ('U'), configured here:
Settings > Controls > Camera > Toggle Free Move
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

That's my Friday night sorted :)
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

baggyg wrote:
Thanks for the whining and moaning again. It would be nice if MTBS was a place for constructive criticism rather than just people saying "I dont like it"! If you spent a bit more time with the driver trying out the many games the rest of us had (to which plenty work, even if not "officially" supported) perhaps you could come back with some constructive feedback that the Tridef team could use improve the driver and everyone could benefit. The latest beta just released is a direct response to a lot of users testing and now features some good ideas including changing the longways rendering.

Perhaps you misunderstood what Experimental Rift support means.

Evenios, wasn't it you who was desperately asking for VorpeX BETA?
I think now you got what happens with incomplete code released as BETA, Though i love Tridef and I m Fan of DDD Drivers i think they are on right track. they did released BETA to right Place so that community can test and report bugs so that they can update their code.Same is scenario with VERIO isn't it.

Why don't you try Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
That was one of the super scarry games, i too avoided playing at night in my gamers den. (ok my dark gaming room!) in rift it will surely give you INSOMNIA of Horrors :lol:
Ryuuken24 wrote: TriDef works with a lot of games, so it seems. Someone just found out that Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth works! It's an awesome, atmospheric dark game. Posting the settings needed for Tridef. Cheers!

Tridef settings
* Mouse sensitivity: 2
* Yaw scale: -1400
* Pitch scale: -1500
* Output FoV: 110
* Game FoV: 115
* World scale: 3.20
* Depth level: 100
This is from this thread (Thanks Ryuuken24)
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=18431

These are great drivers supported by great team please be patient for final release,Any way they are not asking for your money now,do they? neither they claim its final release. I hope u appreciate word BETA.
FR3D
Cross Eyed!

Post by FR3D »

Today i have tried Oblivion (beta4)

some objects e.g. fire, some flowers, some hair and so on are only rendered correctly if the crosshair is pointed directly on them ?!
it has maybe something to do with the headtracker ?
Framerates are OK !
It looks like that 3d bump mapping of walls, stones ... is working well - i like it very much !!

I also tried the hl2 mod black mesa with (beta 2 and beta4) - it is working - but @ low framerates ...

___________________________________________________________________________________
AND NOW I'M PLAYING MY EXTREMLY MODDED SKYRIM (over 100 mods) !!!!!!! WITH BETA4

what a progress to (beta1) - very very cool - it is working now nearly perfect for me.
I found some small issues - the hadtracker latency is to big - but playable
the water - it's black ...
framerates are OK !

very very cool - the best skyrim i ever played - can't wait for development kit II and my Omni ...
____________________________________________________________________________________
Fallout3 - no changes for me - unplayable slow framerates
____________________________________________________________________________________
Fallout New Vegas - Headtracker not working and low framerates also
Bioshock2 - some lights are rendered wrong and slow framerates
_____________________________________________________________________________________
very well done driver !

best regards FR3D
best regards FR3D
Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lilwolf »

I'm just trying to demo now... metro 2033 and skyrim so far.

question. Does the driver fill in your full field of vision? I'm seeing the top / bottom cut off.

Am I missing something?
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Lilwolf wrote:I'm just trying to demo now... metro 2033 and skyrim so far.

question. Does the driver fill in your full field of vision? I'm seeing the top / bottom cut off.

Am I missing something?
Yep - reading the instructions always helps. I could explain but to be honest this has been covered so many times here, on the official thread and on reddit it seems a little pointless. The beta will have installed a readme on your desktop. That's a good place to start.
Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lilwolf »

AWESOME reply! thanks! Sorry I didn't read every post. Not used to applications copying notes on my desktop.
Applemung
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Applemung »

Lilwolf wrote:AWESOME reply! thanks! Sorry I didn't read every post. Not used to applications copying notes on my desktop.
Did you even read anything about the drivers? Or did you just install the drivers and hoped they work. You don't have to read every post but you could of at least gone to the TriDef website and read the beta notes. Not even after you had an issue did you do any research you just expect someone to spoon feed you the information.
Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lilwolf »

Editing.

I did do some research and rereading the response, I think I over reacted a bit.

I did get the basic installed and tested and working with my 3d monitor. I read the instructions then. I then installed the beta, and looked at the instructions then. But they didn't change. I read the first few and last pages here. I didn't know which was the official thread (and on what forum).

But after being away for a week, and trying to do research with multiple forums active, with multiple threads active with multiple pages on each. It's not easy to know where to look (or in this case, what to search for, FOV didn't come to mind really, but in hind site it makes sense).
Applemung
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Applemung »

If you go to the TriDef website forums, they have a topic dedicated to the TriDef Oculus Rift Beta. In the first post there is an explanation of the beta drivers and all of the functions listed, The readme file explains the functions a bit further with the shortcut keys listed. In there you will find the controls to change things like the FOV and separation, depth etc etc.
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

Just thought I'd comment on my 2 hour play session this evening with Borderlands2 and a couple of friends.

Firstly it's good enough to actually play it for 2 hours, this is a big plus!

Now onto the downsides: the yaw/pitch tracker scaling isn't remembered in the version of the beta I have, so I have to spend ages holding ctrl+4 on each to scale them to about -500 (mouse at 20 sensitivity)
You can't see the minimap or your weapon ammo in the Rift, they are outside the visible area even with the ingame FOV reduced as small as possible
You can't read things like weapon stats, quest log or the quicktravel map - I just didn't bother with any loot and relied on friends for directions and quest choice.
The art style needs much higher resolution to look good in 3D, but with Tridef at least needs more GPU power than I have to give that. The black outlines alias heavily in the Rift, and the screen door effect doesn't help it. My AMD7870 struggles to keep close to 60fps with most of the settings on low in the Rift. I game happily at 2560x1440 with high settings normally.
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

Does anyone have a suggested method to run a vr_calibration type process for these games when using Tridef DDD Rift Driver? After a bit my eyes seem to have the issues I get when the Rift is not properly calibrated.

Any suggestions?
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

Silly question(s)- how does the DDD with Rift frame rate compare to DDD without Rift?

Does Power 3D (fake 3D) mode work with the Rift as output?

I have a modest gaming rig and I play quite a few games in 720p 3D SBS through DDD in Power 3D mode. Framerates aren't fantastic, but they're doable. If I turn Power 3D off, the whole thing slows to a crawl.

I don't have a Rift yet- one reason is that I don't have a very power PC. However, if I could expect similar results to what I'm currently getting- the resolution of the Rift is essentially what I'm running now (720p 3D SBS) but with an extra layer of warp, etc...

Can anyone comment?
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

xhonzi wrote:Silly question(s)- how does the DDD with Rift frame rate compare to DDD without Rift?

Does Power 3D (fake 3D) mode work with the Rift as output?

I have a modest gaming rig and I play quite a few games in 720p 3D SBS through DDD in Power 3D mode. Framerates aren't fantastic, but they're doable. If I turn Power 3D off, the whole thing slows to a crawl.

I don't have a Rift yet- one reason is that I don't have a very power PC. However, if I could expect similar results to what I'm currently getting- the resolution of the Rift is essentially what I'm running now (720p 3D SBS) but with an extra layer of warp, etc...

Can anyone comment?
No currently power 3D has been disabled from the Rift beta output. This has been questioned a few times on their official forum. They are looking to add but its not a high priority.
xhonzi

Post by xhonzi »

Blast! Alright, thanks for putting my fears to... whatever the opposite of 'rest' is.
npole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by npole »

I'm not sure.. are this drivers free to test, or you're going to pay to do some beta-testing.. when it should be the opposite? I'm confused.. are they really asking money for it?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

The beta program is free for people that have a license (which is $50).

There is a 14-day trial if you want to test the program and make sure it works.

Keep in mind, the software supports a whole lot of displays and games, it's only the Rift support that is beta.
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

Has anyone heard of any updates on the Tridef 3d Oculus driver and whether or not it will support the new dev kit?

If I were at Tridef I would be putting some big resources into the Oculus support...Since its starting to look like that VR 3d will be bigger then basic 3D!
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/

Return to “Oculus VR”