Elder Scrolls Online

Moggle69
One Eyed Hopeful

Elder Scrolls Online

Post by Moggle69 »

At the end of this video, they are saying ESO will now feature a FPS perspective. They are currently pouring resources into it right now. They also were talking about how immersive they want this game to be.

Oculus.... please, please, PLEASE talk to these guys ASAP and convince them to support the Rift.

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTzFoM5WxGA[/youtube-hd]
PSN/XBL/NNID/STEAM: Moggle69
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Elder Scrolls Online

Post by Okta »

Last few ES games always had an FPS view you could zoom into with a quick spin of the mouse wheel.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Moggle69
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moggle69 »

Okta wrote:Last few ES games always had an FPS view you could zoom into with a quick spin of the mouse wheel.
Yes, but that was not planned for ESO. Now that they are currently implementing FP right now, now would be the time to support Oculus while in the middle of programming.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

The game looks like a really good fit for the Rift.
If they add Rift support they should create a Rift exclusive server so no one has a advantage in PvP.

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
bugnguts
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bugnguts »

Joystiq
"One bit of feedback that hardcore Elder Scrolls fans have been vocal about is ESO's lack of hands and weapon animations while the player is zoomed into first-person perspective. Without those animations, these folks say, it wouldn't feel like an Elder Scrolls game. While I wasn't able to try it out in my hands-on session, ZeniMax president Matt Firor did tell me that full hand and weapon animations in first-person perspective will be available for launch. We even watched a video in which the feature was demonstrated; it looked incredible."
:woot Yea if this is done correctly and works with the Rift I will loose myself in ESO for years.
Callezetter
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Callezetter »

I just hope they can solve the FOV in their mmo. Wow used to have the option to change fov.
Then it became an anvantage to see more, for example in pvp situation. So that became a source
for unbalanced gameplay between players. So Blizzard removed it.

And as everyone knows. FOV is a major key for Rifts success.
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

Callezetter wrote:I just hope they can solve the FOV in their mmo. Wow used to have the option to change fov.
Then it became an anvantage to see more, for example in pvp situation. So that became a source
for unbalanced gameplay between players. So Blizzard removed it.

And as everyone knows. FOV is a major key for Rifts success.
I don't understand why that would be an issue when third person view gives a 360 degree FoV immediately around your character.
Callezetter
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Callezetter »

Thats a good point, really.
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

I think Elder Scrolls games have always tried to immerse the gamer. Oblivion and Skyrim had rich detailed worlds. Morrowind at the time had a decent landscape. Even one of the heads of Oculus mentioned that he wanted to see Skyrim on Oculus. It makes sense these two products would compliment each other. I too agree that Oculus and Bethesda should absolutely collaborate on this game.

I think 3rd person is still very console-ish. First person RPGs such as skyrim and fallout3 have really changed how people see RPGs on the console and computer. 3rd person also seems to loose much of the detail that people loved in the past ES games. It would be a shame to loose all that progress!
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
Aeroflux
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Aeroflux »

bugnguts wrote:Joystiq
"One bit of feedback that hardcore Elder Scrolls fans have been vocal about is ESO's lack of hands and weapon animations while the player is zoomed into first-person perspective. Without those animations, these folks say, it wouldn't feel like an Elder Scrolls game. While I wasn't able to try it out in my hands-on session, ZeniMax president Matt Firor did tell me that full hand and weapon animations in first-person perspective will be available for launch. We even watched a video in which the feature was demonstrated; it looked incredible."
:woot Yea if this is done correctly and works with the Rift I will loose myself in ESO for years.
If that is considered hardcore then we might as well hand Bethesda over to the CoD community. Unbelievable the amount of fuzz they shove into the world...there was a time when Elder Scrolls actually paved the way for sandbox RPGs. Now they are more like the giant companies that remove features every iteration in exchange for what looks good in a screenshot and call it progress.

Zenimax is a publisher, not a developer. They are the same idiots that tried to sue Notch. It's bad enough Todd Howard has been quoted to have "no interest" in native VR or stereoscopic implementations of the Elder Scrolls series...

Maybe the public outcry will have some result with the current software (such as Vireio drivers>>>and whatever might come out of Cybereality's employment at Oculus), but I have zero expectations of any official support with Howard heading Bethesda. The series has been slowly degrading into the gaming version of a twinkie, so by the time it actually has official support we might be looking at a lesser version of Fable.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

^This : (
Its sad that the elder scrolls series gets "simpler" every iteration. They have a good chance of redeeming themselves with Rift support though : p
Drewbdoo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Drewbdoo »

Just want to throw this out there so everyone realizes that the Elder Scrolls MMO is NOT, I repeat, NOT being made by Bethesda and is NOT an elder scrolls game, per say. It's being developed by ZeniMax Online and published by Bethesda (in much the same way Dishonored wasn't made by Besthesda, just published by them. It takes place many many many years before any of the elder scrolls game. I am a hardcore elder scrolls fan and I have no desire to play this whatsoever. It is a typical MMO clone with a Elder Scrolls skin on it. Anything you know or expect from previous Elder Scroll games (immersion, gameplay, etc) has no bearing on this game.
Moggle69
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moggle69 »

I remember Todd talking about the irrelevance of 3D, I don't think I ever heard of him talking about VR. Going by most demonstration videos of the Rift, people are blown away and I'm sure Todd is as well. I would have a hard time believing any developer wouldn't want to explore the world they created with VR. Games are basically an art form. The effort to create this art is time consuming and expensive, alot of passion goes into it. Developers art goes unappreciated when played through a television. In VR, the art becomes fascinating. Something as little as a spiderweb is magic in VR. Why wouldn't any developer want their art to be appreciated.... worshipped. Also, doesn't John Carmack from ID Software have close relations with Todd at Bethesdsa?

I also think VR is perfect for an MMO. An MMO is profitable when the player spends time in the world. VR would only slow the players progress. You would spend more time starring at the environment rather then playing the game. People would be playing ESO just to hang out because the perspective would be so amazing. This would get people renewing subscriptions over and over.

I believe the investment ESO would have to make to implement VR would a profitable venture. They should do it now while they are in the middle of programming. Oculus and ESO should team up and offer a free 30 day trial of ESO with the purchase of a consumer version of Oculus Rift. It would benefit both companies.
Rembak23
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Rembak23 »

Return to “Oculus VR”