RifTUP! FullHD Oculus DK1 upgrade kit

DrBeef
Vireio Perception Developer

Re: RifTUP! FullHD Oculus DK1 upgrade kit

Post by DrBeef »

QUICK UPDATE: After a restart of my machine, I no longer see the tearing, so actually, it's looking pretty good (apart from the gamma thing).
Hewster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hewster »

Nice one DrBeef .. I wonder if Oculus might add colour / brightness / contrast / gama correction to a later build.

I can't try this for a couple of weeks cos I'm on holiday at the mo, but thanks again for all your support for the riftup :)
Hewster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hewster »

Also, I just thought, how is the low persistence stuff effecting the rift up ?

I presume with the sdk 0.4 frames are displayed for a very short period, I would guess this must effectively dim the display somewhat in the rift up?
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

I haven't noticed any difference, still as vibrant as it ever was.
Hewster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hewster »

DrBeef wrote:I haven't noticed any difference, still as vibrant as it ever was.
:D
SlackR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SlackR »

@Dr beef ...

I also had a dancing red pixel issue. I reopened the rift, both at the breakout box and the mask and twisted the wires together fairly tightly. I then taped them with black electrical tape and bingo! :)

Am happy you found a fix for the new SDK. I doubt I'll use it though, as I have the DK2 working pretty sweetly now and the code will throw things off.

I am left wanting more screen wise now... The DK2 s OLED screen isn't on par with the RiftUps LED. Id love some clever so and so to take the next step and find us a higher res solution for the DK2 that would still allow for the low persistence and other improvements that the DK2 provides.
MICKEEIE MOUSE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MICKEEIE MOUSE »

hello all

has the riftup now been configured so its now plug and play??(software wise)

i was really interested in the upgrade but then i seen all the issues people were having with it, if i buy 1 now, does everything work as it should is my question

cheers

MM
RaNk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RaNk »

Dr Beef. Well done Sir.

I sit in awe and use the RU daily with great enjoyment because of your fantastic work. I cannot wait to try this myself.
3DJB
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJB »

For troubleshooting purposes I plugged my old DK1 controller board and LCD back into the cable and the image came on displaying just fine. There is definitely something wrong with my RiftUp! controller board or LCD screen. If I leave it on for a few minutes, eventually the screen has a very reddish, dim hue to it. I sure hope rozsnyo has some spare parts left :? :cry:
I've also tried it on two different PC's with two different video cards and it still looks terrible.
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

For those that want to try this, but have reservations about messing about with hex editors, I've thrown together a little console app that will patch the OVRService executable, creating a new patched version and leaving the original untouched. All you then need to do is stop the service, rename the newly created/patched exe with the right name, start it and it should just work.

If I get a chance, I'll test it later this evening and will make it available after that, if it doesn't happen tonight, then sometime this week.

This will be specific to version 0.4 of the SDK, so it will need to be updated each time Oculus VR update the OVRService, shouldn't be hard to do and I'll put the code on github over the course of time.
FatMcNasty
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by FatMcNasty »

DrBeef wrote:For those that want to try this, but have reservations about messing about with hex editors, I've thrown together a little console app that will patch the OVRService executable, creating a new patched version and leaving the original untouched. All you then need to do is stop the service, rename the newly created/patched exe with the right name, start it and it should just work.

If I get a chance, I'll test it later this evening and will make it available after that, if it doesn't happen tonight, then sometime this week.

This will be specific to version 0.4 of the SDK, so it will need to be updated each time Oculus VR update the OVRService, shouldn't be hard to do and I'll put the code on github over the course of time.
Thank you sooooooo much!

And I too skipped the DK2, figured id wait till CV1 to drop the $$.
davidmi58
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by davidmi58 »

DrBeef wrote:For those that want to try this, but have reservations about messing about with hex editors, I've thrown together a little console app that will patch the OVRService executable, creating a new patched version and leaving the original untouched. All you then need to do is stop the service, rename the newly created/patched exe with the right name, start it and it should just work.

Yes! Nice job, Beefy! Knew your genius would win out. This is exactly what we need. Looking forward to trying this out.
esilviu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by esilviu »

Hi,
Had anybody any experience with tonylabs MIPI display board found here :
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a21 ... =&sku=&ug=

or here:

http://www.mallaid.com/index.php/taobao ... 7290655449#

it's written that is working with 1920x1200 MIPI display like 7 inches JDI TFTMD070021 1200 x 1920

Had anybody tested it?

Thanks
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

OK, here it is. Hopefully I can attach the file to this. I will try not to ramble on, so here are the instructions. You will need to have the VS2012 32-bit redistributable installed, though if you've already used the DisplayInfoPatcher for the RiftUp, then you should have it installed already.

Instructions for use:

* Extract the executable OVRServicePatcher_SDK0.4.exe to the desktop
* Copy the OVRService executable you wish to patch to the desktop
* Drag and drop the OVRService_x??.exe onto the OVRServicePatcher_SDK0.4.exe
* It should then perform the patching, creating a new patched file called: OVRService_x??.exe.riftup
* Open Task Manager and stop the following processes:
** Microsoft ® Windows Based Script Host (this is the script that restarts the service if it stops, so you'll have to stop this one first)
** OVRService_x64.exe or OVRService_x86.exe if your OS is 32-bit
* Rename the OVRService executable in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\Service folder to an appropriate backup
* Copy in the newly created patched file and remove the .riftup extension
* Right click and select Run as Administrator
* If you start the Oculus World Demo, it should now be oriented correctly
* Next time you restart your machine, the service should start in the normal way, no need to manually run anything

Important notes:

Only works with SDK 0.4 OVRService
Don't try to patch the file in-situ as it won't be able to write to that folder

DISCLAIMER (that I forgot earlier, thanks cgp44 for reminding me!)

I take no responsibility for any damage you do to your machine or anything else in the process of using this patcher. It;s pretty trivial so very unlikely to cause any problems, but I still waive any responsibility if you choose to use this tool.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DrBeef on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
cgp44
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by cgp44 »

I clicked on the runtime exe thingy (before above, nothing to do with DrBeefs work),
which my win7 box did not fully recognize as an exe
then after a short while the whole PC is screwed. I don't believe in coincidences.
So I now learn about reinstalling win7 from the CD. A good thing in the end as my internet
browsing was all chinesed up after a desperate search for a COG chip datasheet/manual
in Chinese sites.
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

That sucks!, very relieved it was nothing to do with my patching tool! I hope you managed to fix your PC without too much hassle!

I'm going to try to get the code on github quickly so that if people want re-assurance (and can read c++) they can have a look at the code. I would hope by now that people are reasonably confident I wouldn't post anything malicious.

and here it is..

https://github.com/DrBeef/OVRServicePatcher
3DJB
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJB »

Luckily, Daniel Rozsnyo has gotten back to me via email. He is on vacation at the moment but will continue to help me when he returns Saturday. I will post the results and hopefully the solution to the problem I am experiencing with my RiftUp!

for those curious, here is the test image he asked me to display on the screen and take pictures of:
http://home.rozsnyo.com/dl-dvi/00-testimage.png

and here is what my pictures of the display look like:
http://i.imgur.com/AoHoh10.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5uBD2Bf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qJbhIE6.jpg
Here are 2 youtube links to the problem that I videotaped:
http://youtu.be/nii5b-PF_Zw
http://youtu.be/2SSXtDbRhe4
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

That looks pretty terrible!, something definitely not right there. I hope you manage to get it sorted when Daniel's back from his hols.

I did a bit of cable twisting and insulating last night, didn't subsequently get to play on the riftup long enough to see if it made a difference, and I nearly gave myself a heart attack when I thought I had broken it, but it's fine, was just a badly timed screen timeout.

I was just wondering if anyone else has tried the SDK patcher yet?, interested to get some feedback. I guess right now, as the Oculus World Demo is the only thing that uses it, it's not that important, but as more demos are written against the 0.4 SDK it could become rather useful.
davidmi58
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by davidmi58 »

DrBeef wrote:OK, here it is. Hopefully I can attach the file to this. I will try not to ramble on, so here are the instructions. You will need to have the VS2012 32-bit redistributable installed, though if you've already used the DisplayInfoPatcher for the RiftUp, then you should have it installed already.

Instructions for use:

* Extract the executable OVRServicePatcher_SDK0.4.exe to the desktop
* Copy the OVRService executable you wish to patch to the desktop
* Drag and drop the OVRService_x??.exe onto the OVRServicePatcher_SDK0.4.exe
* It should then perform the patching, creating a new patched file called: OVRService_x??.exe.riftup
* Open Task Manager and stop the following processes:
** Microsoft ® Windows Based Script Host (this is the script that restarts the service if it stops, so you'll have to stop this one first)
** OVRService_x64.exe or OVRService_x86.exe if your OS is 32-bit
* Rename the OVRService executable in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\Service folder to an appropriate backup
* Copy in the newly created patched file and remove the .riftup extension
* Right click and select Run as Administrator
* If you start the Oculus World Demo, it should now be oriented correctly
* Next time you restart your machine, the service should start in the normal way, no need to manually run anything

Important notes:

Only works with SDK 0.4 OVRService
Don't try to patch the file in-situ as it won't be able to write to that folder

DISCLAIMER (that I forgot earlier, thanks cgp44 for reminding me!)

I take no responsibility for any damage you do to your machine or anything else in the process of using this patcher. It;s pretty trivial so very unlikely to cause any problems, but I still waive any responsibility if you choose to use this tool.
Thanks Beefy,
I knew you could do it. You are a genius! Thanks for your hard work. You have kept are Riftup's from becoming a paperweight.
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Well done again Dr Beef. My DK2 arrived yesterday. Resolution and contrast are inferior to the RiftUp, not to mention the current issue of "smearing". However Low persistence at 75hz makes a huge difference. The motion blur is almost completely eliminated.

I am happy with both now. I can have the DK2 in the living room and keep the rift up in my office (with the patched service). I will probably continue to use both.
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Thanks baggyg, I enjoy solving issues like that. I am wondering what the next curve-ball that Oculus VR will throw our way that will require a fix to continue to use the RiftUp!

I'd love to have a go on a DK2 myself to see the difference, but I expect that's not going to happen any time soon (I don't know anyone that's ordered one). I do feel like I am missing out on the positional tracking and higher refresh rate, but it's nice to hear that the RiftUp screen is superior in some respects.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

DrBeef wrote:I'd love to have a go on a DK2 myself to see the difference, but I expect that's not going to happen any time soon (I don't know anyone that's ordered one).
There are several VR meetups in England, if you're still in London you could have a try :
http://vrwiki.wikispaces.com/Community# ... %20Kingdom
DrBeef wrote:I do feel like I am missing out on the positional tracking and higher refresh rate, but it's nice to hear that the RiftUp screen is superior in some respects.
The near lack of motion blur and the positional tracking are really great, both for immersion and reduction of simulator sickness. I couldn't stand the DK1 for more than some minutes and I've already been more than an hour overall in the DK2.
baggyg wrote:Resolution and contrast are inferior to the RiftUp, not to mention the current issue of "smearing"
I'm surprised you did find the display inferior for contrast, OLED is supposed to have infinite contrast. Do you think it could be due to the purple smearing ?
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

Great work yet again DrBeef. :woot

I'd like to try it but the new OVR service might be killing my HDMI output on my GPU. Switching right away to DVI gets the DK working again but HDMI doesn't work for my DK or other displays till rebooting everything. :| I'm not going to run the new OVR stuff till I get a dk2 in case it might cause a permanent problem for my dk1 or gpu.

Fredz- I think content and hardware would have to take advantage of OLED's infinite contrast ratio. Dolby vision needs content made for it's 100,000:1 ratio if I remember correctly. Here's a link http://www.display-central.com/free-new ... -vision-2/ just found that talks about it. DK2 doesn't have the bandwidth or display hardware to take advantage of OLED if it does have infinite contrast ratio.
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Good to hear the service patcher is working.

I have a different problem unfortunately. My attempts to fix the "interference" issue with cable twisting and insulation appears to have failed. The screen works perfectly for a period of time (say, 30 minutes, sometimes more or less) and then I get a horrible green interference, subtle at first but gets worse and then flickering starts. Powering off the HMD and then powering it back on makes it go away, but not for very long. Not quite sure what to do as I've given the cable in the headset end a couple of twists and put electrical tape round it. I could do the same at the control box end too if anyone thinks that will help.

Rather disappointed.. I fear my RiftUp might have developed a fault and with no DK2 on order, I am just going to have to live with it. I'll post some pictures if I get a chance to use it again before I am on holiday.
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

DrBeef wrote:Good to hear the service patcher is working.

I have a different problem unfortunately. My attempts to fix the "interference" issue with cable twisting and insulation appears to have failed. The screen works perfectly for a period of time (say, 30 minutes, sometimes more or less) and then I get a horrible green interference, subtle at first but gets worse and then flickering starts. Powering off the HMD and then powering it back on makes it go away, but not for very long. Not quite sure what to do as I've given the cable in the headset end a couple of twists and put electrical tape round it. I could do the same at the control box end too if anyone thinks that will help.

Rather disappointed.. I fear my RiftUp might have developed a fault and with no DK2 on order, I am just going to have to live with it. I'll post some pictures if I get a chance to use it again before I am on holiday.
Damn. I sometimes get a weird "second image". I have to turn it on and off and then it disappears. However it seems to be scene related rather than time related (I.e. some scenes trigger it).

Although it is probably not advised I would try loosening the twisting to see if that solves the issue. You can always work back from there, but flickering in dark areas is preferable to a larger fault.

I wouldn't be too worried about DK2 at the moment you have plenty of time. My impressions so far is that there is a lot of work needed on the SDK before being able to have the experiences you could have on the DK1. In addition the juddering below 75fps is awful. I think a lot of people are going to have to upgrade as even on my GTX 580 I see dips quite often.
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

Regarding the negative image issue - it is probably caused by wrong reference voltages, so here is the guide to measure them. Failing to get the 4 voltages when the board is receiving a valid signal is a reason for replacement (or soldering repair - have seen wrong joints during inspection).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3DJB
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJB »

Daniel is sending a replacement PCB. It should arrive August 6th. I am a bit nervous removing and replacing the PCB from the LCD, but I will try my best with the instructions he has emailed me. I will post results after the surgery.
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Can I get a rift up made?
3DJB
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJB »

Good News. The replacement board that Daniel sent me made the RiftUp! work like new again! Removing the PCB from the LCD was actually much easier than I anticipated. I just went very slow with the whole process and nothing broke. I will be sending my defective board back to Daniel later today to take a look at to see what went wrong.
Hewster
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hewster »

3DJB wrote:Good News. The replacement board that Daniel sent me made the RiftUp! work like new again! Removing the PCB from the LCD was actually much easier than I anticipated. I just went very slow with the whole process and nothing broke. I will be sending my defective board back to Daniel later today to take a look at to see what went wrong.
That is good news.

Glad Daniel is still offering support to the RiftUp! squad too :)
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Where can I get my DK1 chnged to Riftup? Any help is appreciated.
Hornet
Cross Eyed!

Post by Hornet »

Was manufactured by Daniel, riftup@rozsnyo.com hope it helps...one riftup was available in previous posts here..
mayaman

Post by mayaman »

Thanks, I emailed him. Hopefully I can get it done. Want a Rift for my nephew. :)
davidmi58
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by davidmi58 »

Is anyone else getting a lot of drifting, especially yaw, with the Riftup? I notice it particularly in ETS2. Gotta hit the reset button every couple of minutes. I also see that magnetic calibration tool does not work. (Due to the new SDK and the DK2 having a tracking camera, maybe?) I was just wondering if anyone else was getting this or has any suggestions.

thanks!

Maybe the metal plates in my head. ;)
3DJB
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DJB »

I noticed when I took my eyes away from the Oculus RiftUp that my eyes took a few seconds to readjust to the outside world. I opened my Rift up, rotated the screen upside down, changed my display properties to treat it as "Landscape (flipped)", launched a demo, verified that the screen was centered with the Rift's middle separator plastic piece(which it wasn't, I had to open it up again, modify the plastic front piece a little bit with a razor blade on the left side and shift the screen a few mm to the left) and now my eyes do not have to do any readjusting when I put on or remove the Oculus RiftUp now. If anyone is experiencing eye adjustment after they remove the RiftUp, consider rotating the screen( you may have to shave some plastic off the side of the front plastic piece of the Rift for it to be centered) and see if you can tell an improvement. I know I did.
Atreyu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Atreyu »

My riftup has started suddenly freezing up after a while. Screen freezes and sort of flickers half black/half black stripes.

Any ideas?

I am using a Nvidia GTX670
davidmi58
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by davidmi58 »

I was following this thread
http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... dangerous/
in the Oculus Reddit regarding running Elite Dangerous at 2560x1440 and downscaling on the DK2. Many have reported that the downscaling makes the image clearer and text more readable. I have an AMD card (7970) and tried to use this thread to help me create a custom resolution for my RiftUp! using the Custom Resolution Utility.
http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa ... tility-CRU
However, when I try to put my downsample the Riftup! this way, I get a black screen. If I mess with the timings a little, I can sometimes get a distorted image but nothing I can use.
Has anyone tried anything like this for the RiftUP! screen? Is it even possible or should I just quit messing with it? If possible, what setting would I use in the CRU to accommodate our RiftUP! screens?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
PS. Sorry for the pasted links. I don't know how to create hyperlinks on the forum.
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

davidmi58 wrote:I was following this thread
Has anyone tried anything like this for the RiftUP! screen? Is it even possible or should I just quit messing with it? If possible, what setting would I use in the CRU to accommodate our RiftUP! screens?
Stop messing with it this way. It will not work. The EDID on RiftUP contains a 60Hz 1080x1920 mode with timing which works. If you for example change the timing to gain less blanking and more frames/second, then it will not work either - the MIPI is a packetized interface and our setting of the communication frequency is set to lowest which accommodates for the given timing. This channel is the limitation, as its frequency thus bandwidth is set at constant and you can't push more data over it. It is not elastic in a way LVDS or HDMI is.

Second point: the screen will only accept and display its native resolution. There is no reason to push more data to it than it is designed for.

I am back to HDMI plug soldering... so finally everybody will get what they ordered in this week.
davidmi58
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by davidmi58 »

rozsnyo wrote:
davidmi58 wrote:I was following this thread
Stop messing with it this way. It will not work. The EDID on RiftUP contains a 60Hz 1080x1920 mode with timing which works. If you for example change the timing to gain less blanking and more frames/second, then it will not work either - the MIPI is a packetized interface and our setting of the communication frequency is set to lowest which accommodates for the given timing. This channel is the limitation, as its frequency thus bandwidth is set at constant and you can't push more data over it. It is not elastic in a way LVDS or HDMI is.

Second point: the screen will only accept and display its native resolution. There is no reason to push more data to it than it is designed for.

I am back to HDMI plug soldering... so finally everybody will get what they ordered in this week.
Thanks for the advice, rozsnyo. Saved me from messing with it. Love the RiftUP! btw. Screen is beautiful! ED is outrageous in it!
FatMcNasty
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by FatMcNasty »

davidmi58 wrote:
Thanks for the advice, rozsnyo. Saved me from messing with it. Love the RiftUP! btw. Screen is beautiful! ED is outrageous in it!
Yes! Yes it is! I just wish the head tracking was better. I hate having to reset it every few mins. I wonder is there some where on the board I could link off to power 3 IR led's. Then I could use free track. for head tracking.

Return to “Oculus VR”