RifTUP! FullHD Oculus DK1 upgrade kit

RaNk
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: RifTUP! FullHD Oculus DK1 upgrade kit

Post by RaNk »

Has anyone with a RiftUP managed to get Euro Truck Simulator 2 working correctly? The stereo is off for me. I have tried numerous changes in the config but to no avail. Here's hoping one of you smart fellows has done it and is willing to share the knowledge.
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

RaNk wrote:Has anyone with a RiftUP managed to get Euro Truck Simulator 2 working correctly? The stereo is off for me. I have tried numerous changes in the config but to no avail. Here's hoping one of you smart fellows has done it and is willing to share the knowledge.
Hi Rank,

I tried this and don't remember having any issue. It certainly didn't seem different to any of the other demos I tried. In fact I'd actually describe it as one of the better looking ones. I don't think I changed anything in the config of Euro Truck and let the Oculus Config Tool do the rest. I do have a quite narrow IPD of 58.5 and use an IPD adjuster.
RaNk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RaNk »

Hi baggyg,

thanks for replying, your ipd adjuster, is that software or a mod to your dk1?
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

RaNk wrote:Hi baggyg,

thanks for replying, your ipd adjuster, is that software or a mod to your dk1?
Its a mod, although without it, it still looks ok, just a bit blurry as I am not looking through the absolute center of the lens.
Inscothen
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Inscothen »

@DrBeef

Did you change the "Vcenter" parameter with your patcher? In one of baggyg's posts it says:
2) If you feel like the vertical offset is incorrect (I.e. black borders at bottom but not top), you can Adjust this by holding CTRL + TAB + Mousewheel. You can also adjust this figure in the Brassa Menu (Ctrl + Q, Then Overall Settings).
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

I left the VCentre value the same as it was for the DK1, the only values I changed were the resolution and physical screen size.

A good point though, I can't remember installing it now, but if the RiftUp screen wasn't isn't centered vertically it might have affected it. However I've not had this issue with any Unity demos, it was only Vireio (for me) that it was quite obvious.
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Inscothen wrote:@DrBeef

Did you change the "Vcenter" parameter with your patcher? In one of baggyg's posts it says:
2) If you feel like the vertical offset is incorrect (I.e. black borders at bottom but not top), you can Adjust this by holding CTRL + TAB + Mousewheel. You can also adjust this figure in the Brassa Menu (Ctrl + Q, Then Overall Settings).
This comment related to Virieo Perception and is nothing to do with other demos that use the SDK. There should be no problem with those.
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

Ok, thanks. It was something I forgot to ask when originally talking about updating the tracker, and the Virieo Perception post reminded me of it. In Riftmax, there was something seemed a little "off" and I was just curious if it could have been vcent.
SlackR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SlackR »

DrBeef wrote:OK, here it is. Finally feel justified in describing myself as a "developer" when I ordered my DK1 :D

Instructions in the readme.txt. If you have a problem running it you may need to download/install the latest vcredistributable for visual studio 2012 from Microsoft.

I'll keep an eye on the forum in case anyone has any issues, I'll try to respond as quick as I can. I would suggest you don't mess about the with contents of the bin files.. that's just asking for trouble.

Finally, there's no need to mod your IPD setting to some insane number any more.. since the screen size is properly represented you can use you natural IPD value.
Hi

Could somebody please help me with inserting the write command line in the .exe...
I know nothing about coding and when I write it and hit return, the program just exits and nothing happens.
Sorry to ask what is no doubt a simple thing but everybody has to start somewhere right? ;)
Thanks
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Things to try:

1. Install the 32-bit Visual Studio 2012 redistributable, downloadable from Microsoft (use your favouriter search engine to find it).
2. Read the readme.txt, if contains all the information on what you need to do to run it, there's isn't much

If you do both of the above, run it, and it still doesn't work, please send more details as to exactly what you are doing and what you are seeing.
SlackR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SlackR »

Sorry to be moronic but I read the readme file and typed in the line of code...
I then pressed enter...

Is that correct?

Does the code need brackets?
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

No, you literally type in (or better copy and paste)

Code: Select all

DisplayInfoPatcher.exe -write RiftUp.DisplayInfo.bin
hit return, it should then give you warnings about this being your responsibility and ask you if you want to continue, type Y and hit return, it should then do the rest.

What are you seeing?, have you installed (now or in the past) the VS2012 32-bit redistributable, as it won't work at all without that installed.
SlackR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SlackR »

DrBeef wrote:No, you literally type in (or better copy and paste)

hit return, it should then give you warnings about this being your responsibility and ask you if you want to continue, type Y and hit return, it should then do the rest.

What are you seeing?, have you installed (now or in the past) the VS2012 32-bit redistributable, as it won't work at all without that installed.
Sorry for the delay in replying... Baggy was trying to help me out...
Here's where I'm up to...
Patch was "applied" but the oculus config isn't recognising any device as being plugged in. The computer is recognising the device as RiftUp Dk1
Tuscany and red frame both work, but elite dangerous isn't recognising the rift as being plugged in, though tracking is on...
SlackR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SlackR »

Senza peso also works, although there was some drifting
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

SlackR wrote:
DrBeef wrote:No, you literally type in (or better copy and paste)

Sorry for the delay in replying... Baggy was trying to help me out...
Here's where I'm up to...
Patch was "applied" but the oculus config isn't recognising any device as being plugged in. The computer is recognising the device as RiftUp Dk1
Tuscany and red frame both work, but elite dangerous isn't recognising the rift as being plugged in, though tracking is on...
I TeamViewer'd onto SlackR's computer and applied the patch with no issue. Before and after the patch the Oculus Configuration utility wasn't recognised any Rift being connected... It actually says "No video cable connected" if I remember rightly but that may be a red herring. My opinion is that it is the USB problem that others have mentionned. I believe some of these were solved with a replacement control board while some just needed a powered USB.

However as far as the patch goes, this worked fine.
SlackR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SlackR »

Update...

Pressing buttons 1, 3 and 5 registered the device on the oculus config app as DKHD2 but the test demo is not coming up as an option, nor is Elite Dangerous working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Note: playing around with the res in Elite Dangerous fixed the issues :D

Thanks to all those who assisted a total noob in pimping out his DK1!
Haven't a clue what im doing but its loads of fun!

:lol:
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Excellent!, that's good news.

I was wondering.. is Elite: Dangerous on the RiftUp worth spending £50 now to join the Beta?
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

DrBeef wrote:Excellent!, that's good news.

I was wondering.. is Elite: Dangerous on the RiftUp worth spending £50 now to join the Beta?
Are you a kickstarter backer? If so from 15th July you will get discounted access to the standard beta.
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Unfortunately not. I missed the kickstarter campaign entirely..
SlackR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SlackR »

DrBeef wrote:Excellent!, that's good news.

Do it !
Best rift experience out there!

Ps. Thanks for the help... Your patch is Amazing!
Got everything except rift coaster playing now...
Keep spinning round and round on that one! :lol:
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Has anyone noticed that darkish brown textures and dark environments
are very black? For example the wooden textures in Tuscany and the
dreadhalls gloomy spaces.

Is the gamma setup of the sharp 5.9er correctly setup?
musteh
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by musteh »

I'm fitting a Riftup! to my DK1 just now

I've got it looking good, but there's loads of dots all over the screen (like artifacting) - i've made sure the cable is taped around the top of the inner housing away from the board in the headset bit to no avail.

I'm seeing flickering sometimes on the desktop too - what can I do to try and fix it?

Thanks
musteh
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by musteh »

For reference ^ I plugged the Rift into my other DVI port, it seems to have helped the issue!
GOD
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GOD »

Here is another pic of the new display I mentioned.
Good for a diy rift dk1 upgrade. 1080p FHD (1200X1920) and it's 7"!!!! :D

This pic shows the magnification of pixels through a lens. Barely any screendoor......imo. Makes dk1 screen seem ridiculous. Which it obviously was.....sadly.

So here is another way to make the dk1 better!:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Hi,

Any more details on the screen + controller board?

Do you intend to sell them, or know where everyone can buy them from (with the controller)?

Also, does it work directly in normal landscape mode instead of portrait?

OzOnE
GOD
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GOD »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:Hi,

Any more details on the screen + controller board?

Do you intend to sell them, or know where everyone can buy them from (with the controller)?

Also, does it work directly in normal landscape mode instead of portrait?

OzOnE
It's available now! :) That's why I posted. It works in portrait, yet if you read the roadtovr dk2 unboxing...seems the new dk2 also runs in portrait. (Yes, apparently lot's of partying or something about the fb deal instead of upgrading the dk2 a lot)

Here is the topic for those interested in purchasing the new 7" 1080P FHD display. http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 35#p152835

Be sure to PM if you are ready. Should be able to ship this week. Also have a board ready for 5.9" 1080P FHD display.

Board and 7" display is $199. Remember, this board has a mini-HDMI input and is USB powered. :)
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

It's available now! :) That's why I posted. It works in portrait, yet if you read the roadtovr dk2 unboxing...seems the new dk2 also runs in portrait. (Yes, apparently lot's of partying or something about the fb deal instead of upgrading the dk2 a lot)
The link is 2nd quessing just like us. Picture taken by someone else. The author is in the dark like us. I see a framebuffer on the dk2 pcb those purpose surely is for scanning rotation.

The portrait mode causes annoying problems. Any SDK rotation will probably cause more w.r.t. backward compatiblity plus lag.
SlackR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SlackR »

So today I noticed that there are some random red pixels flashing on and off throughout the RiftUp screen... They are only really noticeable against a black background. Is there a fix for this? Is it a cabling issue?
GOD
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GOD »

cgp44 wrote:
The link is 2nd quessing just like us. Picture taken by someone else. The author is in the dark like us. I see a framebuffer on the dk2 pcb those purpose surely is for scanning rotation.

The portrait mode causes annoying problems. Any SDK rotation will probably cause more w.r.t. backward compatiblity plus lag.
The rift team on rift official company forum also confirmed rift dk2 is in portrait mode. SDK rotates the display in opengl for games.... :roll:

I made the photo and yes, this has been a lot of work. Visited china numerous times now, multiple cities, numerous months...not a pleasant place. Not sure how best to confirm that I made the photos.... Guess I could make a photo with some inappropriate handwritten comment and the name cgp44 written on a piece of paper :D ...yet maybe cgp44 would say that was photoshopped. Sigh....
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Well in that case how do they manage duplication of the screen?
Could be a hardware scan rotator might be very useful for getting dk2 to work
with old software.
GOD
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GOD »

cgp44 wrote:Well in that case how do they manage duplication of the screen?
Could be a hardware scan rotator might be very useful for getting dk2 to work
with old software.
Maybe they use a Lamborghini to rotate the screen now....or maybe zuckerberg pays some cheap imported HS1-B employees from India to do it by hand while he cackles about evil zuckerberg VR plans....
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

SlackR wrote:So today I noticed that there are some random red pixels flashing on and off throughout the RiftUp screen... They are only really noticeable against a black background. Is there a fix for this? Is it a cabling issue?
Yes, I had the same. I took my RiftUp apart again and made sure both ends of the cable (screen and controller box) were twisted tight. Fixed the problem for me and I didn't require any shielding.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

GOD wrote: Maybe they use a Lamborghini to rotate the screen now....or maybe zuckerberg pays some cheap imported HS1-B employees from India to do it by hand while he cackles about evil zuckerberg VR plans....

non-chinese person, how did you get hold of a dk2? Were you one of the elect 100 or not?
yunti
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yunti »

Everyone in this thread may already have one, but if not I'm selling my oculus rift and Rift Up! Which works great but I just don't have the time to use.
Just PM me if interested.

Thanks,
Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ryuuken24 »

The new 7'' 1080p display is interesting but, it's not enough, and we really need higher frame rates. After playing countless hours using the RiftUp, I feel that 2k to 4k IS the way to go, it's the must to succeed in VR resolution. We have mad coding genius in MTBS, I doubt somebody here can't make it happen, or they want Oculus CV1 to be the ONE.
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

cgp44 wrote:Has anyone noticed that darkish brown textures and dark environments
are very black? For example the wooden textures in Tuscany and the
dreadhalls gloomy spaces.

Is the gamma setup of the sharp 5.9er correctly setup?
I've been noticing this myself, I just tried the demo Obolos and all I could see was the boat I was sitting on. The ocean was too dark to make out any of the detail, yet if I look at it on my regular monitor, I can see the waves etc. A lot of other demoes/games that feature dark environments are the same.

In a bright environment, the image is really good, but when it is dark the colors are very indistinct. I would be interested to know if there was some way to improve this (calibrating the gamma, as you say).
rozsnyo
Cross Eyed!

Post by rozsnyo »

Mind you, color science is very complex and if you just compare TN and IPS monitors, they are very distinct (TN owners complain for shitty image, while IPS owners complain for oversaturated material, if it was created on the opposite).

The phone screens are yet another technology and their color rendition can be different. At all, there is no color space defined / calibrated. The gamma curve might be also slightly different, to accomodate the need of higher contrast, but there is nothing to configure in the 5.9" screen (in contrast to the 5.5" LG, where the configuration is pushed to the screen during initialization).

Loss of detail could be also caused if the screen runs in 6 bit mode.. but that should not be the case. Can anybody test with a color/bw ramp, or place a colorimeter onto the screen and create an icc profile?
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

Hi,

Although it may not be efficient, the brightness of the display could be turned up and a grey filter placed over the screen.

This will bring out the lower level detail in the dark scenes, and not blind you in the bright scenes.

Different shades of neutral density filters are available for experimentation.

Of course, a software fix is always preferable to a hardware workaround.

Thanks.
DrBeef

Post by DrBeef »

Thanks Budda, that's an interesting suggestion. To be honest, it's not a big deal, it's rare that the scene is so dark that I can't make out even basic details. I would certainly not find it so much a problem that I would revert back to my original DK1 screen!

I was also wondering, is anyone with a RiftUp expecting a DK2, and if you are, are you prepared to do a comparitive review of the DK2 vs. RiftUp screen? I'd be really interested to see what difference the increased frame rate and the OLED screen make to the experience, as I am not waiting for a DK2 myself (more's the pitty), but am very curious to find out what I might be missing out on.
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

DrBeef wrote:Thanks Budda, that's an interesting suggestion. To be honest, it's not a big deal, it's rare that the scene is so dark that I can't make out even basic details. I would certainly not find it so much a problem that I would revert back to my original DK1 screen!

I was also wondering, is anyone with a RiftUp expecting a DK2, and if you are, are you prepared to do a comparitive review of the DK2 vs. RiftUp screen? I'd be really interested to see what difference the increased frame rate and the OLED screen make to the experience, as I am not waiting for a DK2 myself (more's the pitty), but am very curious to find out what I might be missing out on.
I also found the gamma to be relatively low. For example Slender was unplayable. Luckily that game has a gamma scale and I was able to adjust.

I am hopefully amongst the first batch of DK2s (ordered within minutes of open). I will let you know how it compares. I am especially interested to see the black levels and contrast 75hz / Low Persistence.

Return to “Oculus VR”