RifTUP! FullHD Oculus DK1 upgrade kit

remosito
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Nexus 7 2nd Gen 1920x1200. Possible drop-in replacement?

Post by remosito »

Awesome news about the 5.9" board working! So exciting! :-)

Wayengineer still has 994 panels. Price went up by 5$ to 90$ though since last I checked.
http://www.wayengineer.com/index.php?ma ... ts_id=5304

I guess I'll still wait with ordering the panel till we know updated eta and pricing of the boards :-)
(no rush. Gotta wait for new AMD GPU lineup release for 2 screen eyefinity anyway)
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
chunkyang
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by chunkyang »

Check out www.signetfpd.com for 1200x1920 MIPI LCD and HDMI/DVI to MIPI board.
KingK76
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by KingK76 »

Hey guys. What about this panel: KOE - TX18D200VM0EAA? Here is a little blurb about it: l http://www.edgeelectronics.com/news-art ... d200vm0eaa . It's a 7" 1080p LVDS TFT LCD. It looks like a winner to me for a direct replacement. But then again I am not as infromed as many of you are. Maybe someone could take a look?
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

The thing is that we're approaching the release of the consumer version of the Rift. Hacking together an HD version might be able to beat its release by several months, and while the mod is likely to cost less money, it'll be at the expense of what will probably be a better, fuller-featured product. VR is starting to get a bit hectic with all the various hardware popping up on kickstarter and other places. Right now, Oculus is the most important player and I've decided to sit back and not make any moves until the dust settles a bit and Oculus lays down their cards. For me, doing anything else would be financially wasteful.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

chunkyang wrote:Check out http://www.signetfpd.com for 1200x1920 MIPI LCD and HDMI/DVI to MIPI board.
I contacted them to get the price for the SDH-MPFH1 1080x1920 HDMI/DVI to MIPI controller board and they said that they were re-designing it to SDA-MPFH2 for 1200x1920 support as well as adding OSD button control and scaling.

They also said that since it's a new product they were still in process of analyzing cost and that right now their factory in Korea was closed for the week to observe their national holidays, "Full Moon". They will get back to me on both prices (for the LD070WU2-SM01 7" 1200x1920 LCD panel as well) by next week.

EDIT: just realized you may be the same person I was in contact with by e-mail.
wileythecoyote
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wileythecoyote »

KingK76 wrote:Hey guys. What about this panel: KOE - TX18D200VM0EAA? Here is a little blurb about it: l http://www.edgeelectronics.com/news-art ... d200vm0eaa . It's a 7" 1080p LVDS TFT LCD. It looks like a winner to me for a direct replacement. But then again I am not as infromed as many of you are. Maybe someone could take a look?
There's a big chance it won't fit inside of the hmd enclosure. It's 16:9 instead of 16:10 so it's a bit wider and there's hardly any extra room in the hmd. Some one should get that innolux panel dimensions so we can compare, but it is a slim chance at best. Also with that panel, you would be wasting those precious pixels. For maximized image quality, it is best to use a panel that just fills your fov.
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

MSat wrote:The thing is that we're approaching the release of the consumer version of the Rift. Hacking together an HD version might be able to beat its release by several months, and while the mod is likely to cost less money, it'll be at the expense of what will probably be a better, fuller-featured product. VR is starting to get a bit hectic with all the various hardware popping up on kickstarter and other places. Right now, Oculus is the most important player and I've decided to sit back and not make any moves until the dust settles a bit and Oculus lays down their cards. For me, doing anything else would be financially wasteful.
I don't know about anyone else but I'd like to keep my modded DevKit and also get the consumer version. So get a higher res version soon and get the real deal later. VR with friends locally using both even if using homemade games and not official Rift games. Hopefully we can find a way to make any DevKit mod compatible with the replacement screen by replacing headset parameters.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

This is fantastic work, Laseredge.

Thanks for showing us photos and other details of it working. :)

You may have seen mentions on other threads of us trying to get 1080p panels working?..

I've been talking a lot to Daniel Rozsnyo, and helping him to test some new panels for the Rift.
(eg. I paid for some of the MIPI / ribbon connectors to be sent to him from China, and e-mailed him some rough dimensions of inside the Rift HMD etc.)

He is very busy with his other main projects though, like 4K UHD displays and digital cinema cameras.

So, we were wondering (along with many others, ;) ) if you'd got any further with your MIPI boards?

I'm really intent on getting something running now. I keep seeing links to panels, but I just want to get my hands on one now.
I'm not so worried about the details of panel dimensions etc., I just need to test one first.

Might be good to stick to 5.9" panels at first (to make sure they'll fit), but there are quite a few 7" 1080p ones turning up on various sites.

Daniel isn't sure how much time he will be able to dedicate to his MIPI boards atm, but he does have a few different 1080p panels.

I'm not worried about the arrival of the consumer Rift, 'cos I actually expect it to be a long way off from release.

I just tried the 3D VR Cinema the other day and it was amazing. So much better than I was expecting, and it works with 3D SBS movies. :D
All it needs is a boost in resolution, and I could happily sit there and watch whole movies on it. It really is the future.

I can help to a small extent with getting PCB's made etc.
I've done some PCB designs as well before, but nothing too major (apart from a 208-pin FPGA board, which worked fine apart from USB JTAG).

I'm more than happy to test any MIPI prototypes and buy a panel or two to test.

If I can't get hold of something soon, I'll have to try hooking one up myself and use one of those cheap boards from China with the Solomon chip on.

Please help! WE NEEDS FHD RIFTZ!

OzOnE.
LaserEdge
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by LaserEdge »

Hi OzOnE2k10,

The electronic prototyping is almost completely done. Got the last major feature working this week with the Sharp panels. The design for the last board rev on the Sharp panels is done. The one thing holding me back is that I wanted to get the LG LH550WF1-SD01 panel working. I haven't so far because I am sure I don't have the video timings configured correctly. For whatever reason LG doesn't put such critical information as video timings in their product specifications. I am in the process of trying to reach an FAE to get that data. What I need is the front porch, back porch and sync pulse width for both horizontal and vertical. Tried a few educated guesses at it, but no luck. The reason I want to get the LG LH550WF1-SD01 working is it is a nice option for my next HMD prototype.

BTW Sharp has the LS064T3SX02 6.4" 1080x1920 panel in production. Should be a nice panel as well for Rifts.
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

LaserEdge- OzOnE2k10 posted the datasheet for the LG in the DIY thread. I think the info you need might be in the PDF.

EDIT: nevermind didn't see the info
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Yeah, I just checked the datasheet as well.
It doesn't seem to include the (display) timing info, which is strange?

Maybe they just assume it's an industry standard timing?
A lot of things are changing with MIPI now, so I have no idea about the specifics.

btw, @LaserEdge - do you definitely have to use a "portrait" display mode with most of these newer 1080p panels? (ie. 1080x1920)?

Has anyone confirmed that the 1080x1920 mode listed in the latest DK examples works with these panels?
I did try this on my TV, and it appeared to switch modes OK (even though the TV couldn't display it).

If portrait modes are needed for these panels, then I'm assuming it doesn't affect the way the SDK renders the images? (rotation done at the GPU level?).

I'll have to ask Daniel if he has the timings for the LG LH550WF1-SD01, since I'm fairly sure he got it running recently.

Good to hear your board is still in progress, LaserEdge. :)

Any idea of the rough pricing yet for just the MIPI board?
Does the proto board have two different types of panel connector, or will they be panel-specific initially?

OzOnE.
LaserEdge
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by LaserEdge »

Hi OzOnE2k10,

Thanks for the help. I will try a few other timings today. It is a slow process as the MIPI master bridge has to be programmed with the video timings and then the computer has to output the new timings. Creating a custom resolution in the NVidia control panel helps speed up the process of testing different timings.

Yes. These panels require a portrait format to be input. Perhaps if the Renesas R63311 is programmed with different panel settings a landscape format can be input. I have tried to get the product datasheet for the Renesas R63311, but no luck so far. Renesas stance is the panel manufactures are responsible for giving info on settings on the R63311. Even if the R63311 is reprogrammed there is very likely other internal hardware that requires portrait mode input that can't be changed.

So, far I haven't had any issue with having the GPU rotate from portrait to landscape on the Sharp panels.

Not 100% sure on pricing yet. Still have quite a few things to do before I have that info.

In the last revision of the board it is no longer panel specific. The bulk of the circuits/chips are on a main board and the display connector plus rest of the circuits and one chip are on a much smaller board.
ripcurl123
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ripcurl123 »

Fredz wrote:
chunkyang wrote:Check out http://www.signetfpd.com for 1200x1920 MIPI LCD and HDMI/DVI to MIPI board.
I contacted them to get the price for the SDH-MPFH1 1080x1920 HDMI/DVI to MIPI controller board and they said that they were re-designing it to SDA-MPFH2 for 1200x1920 support as well as adding OSD button control and scaling.

They also said that since it's a new product they were still in process of analyzing cost and that right now their factory in Korea was closed for the week to observe their national holidays, "Full Moon". They will get back to me on both prices (for the LD070WU2-SM01 7" 1200x1920 LCD panel as well) by next week.

EDIT: just realized you may be the same person I was in contact with by e-mail.
I emailed the same person too they said the board mk2 will be ready mid October and he was gonna email me prices next week ill keep everyone updated
Kernel32
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kernel32 »

wileythecoyote wrote:
KingK76 wrote:Hey guys. What about this panel: KOE - TX18D200VM0EAA? Here is a little blurb about it: l http://www.edgeelectronics.com/news-art ... d200vm0eaa . It's a 7" 1080p LVDS TFT LCD. It looks like a winner to me for a direct replacement. But then again I am not as infromed as many of you are. Maybe someone could take a look?
There's a big chance it won't fit inside of the hmd enclosure. It's 16:9 instead of 16:10 so it's a bit wider and there's hardly any extra room in the hmd. Some one should get that innolux panel dimensions so we can compare, but it is a slim chance at best. Also with that panel, you would be wasting those precious pixels. For maximized image quality, it is best to use a panel that just fills your fov.
I would like to point out that room in hmd should not be much of a concern. I (and believe many others) would be more than glad to make 3d printable part(s) or even whole HMD casing enabling you to fit any display suggested. You can then print those or have 'em sent at your address.

As a mechanical engineer, I'm afraid can't much help with PCB design.

The 7' Signet FPD LCD + board looks really promising and so does LaserEdge's PCB (but there is no 7 inch Rift drop-in replacement display compatible yet if i got it right - only suitable for DIY HMD).

Looking forward to hear the good news about Signet ;) .

Thank for your great effort so far.
BDVS4Ever
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by BDVS4Ever »

anyone look at the screen on the new kindle fire HDX?
i7 2600k @ 4.7ghz, AMD 6870 @ 1.1ghz, and all cooled by fans XD lots and lots of fans...
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

BDVS4Ever wrote:anyone look at the screen on the new kindle fire HDX?
It's not out yet, will be at the end of october.

I got an email update from Signet FPD concerning the MIPI board and the 5.5" LG display. They said that if I pre-ordered now they could deliver around the end of october.

2nd Gen MIPI board :
* samples : $225
* over 50pcs : $200
* over 100pcs : $175
* over 1000pcs : $100

LG 5.5” LH550WF1 :
* samples : $115
* over 50pcs : $88
* over 100pcs : $85
* over 1000pcs : $75

Looks interesting at 1000pcs and over, but I'm not sure that much people would be interested, especially considering that LaserEdge is working on something like that but directly tailored as a screen replacement for the Rift. Interesting to have a better idea about the costs though.

They also said that for the LG 7” LD070WU2-SM01 model (1200x1920) they could only source A1 grade at the moment because it was a brand new model. Any idea about what "A1 grade" means ? English is not my native tongue.
Last edited by Fredz on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Wow, those MIPI boards are damned pricey!

Unless they do something clever like image rotation, I'm not sure why they're quite so expensive.
You can buy a basic MIPI board from Aliexpress for around $55 shipped (to the UK at least).

It might need a small breakout board for the specific display connector, but I think it could be made to work.

The prices for the panels themselves is OK, it's within the current pricing at least.

The only other issue is that we'd need the full datasheet for the MIPI chip (whether it be the SSD2828 or whatever).
I'm assuming the chip would need configuring via I2C for each type of panel?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SSD2828- ... 89519.html

Let's hope LaserEdge or someone can release their final board soon, as I personally can't afford those MIPI prices atm.
Good to see a reply though - another seller we can get the panels from. 8-)

OzOnE.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Oh, I think the common definition for "grade A1" generally means that the items are "as new", but have may been from open boxes?

It depends on the seller though, and could mean that the items have been refurbished?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Ah thanks for the answer, the first option makes sense.

Forgot to mention but they said that support for other LCD panels would need a new interface board and that the development cost would be $1000. I also thought it was only a matter of reprogramming the board, but it may be a bit more complicated.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

I wouldn't have thought it needed complete retooling?

Most of the newer panels follow the MIPI standard, and although I think it's quite a closed standard, it's already being reverse engineered by a few people.

Most of the driver / convertor chips give a maximum resolution they can run at, and generally can be configured to work with many different panels.

If I was a bit better at PCB layouts, I'd give it a go.
I know how hard it is though (took me months to make a board with a 240-pin FPGA on once), so I'd rather buy one of the cheap Chinese MIPI boards.

The problem with the premade boards is that we don't know for sure if the seller will supply the config info for the chip / panel.

If you see some of the listings on Aliexpress, they show many different types of panel working with the same board, so maybe asking those sellers would be a good bet?

There are a few listings which include an FPGA board as well (and likely the reference software).

I don't think we'd need that though, as I'm convinced that Oculus are just using a straight MIPI converter, and the correct resolution / timings are generated by the GPU (ie. 1080x1920 portrait).

OzOnE.
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

This is almost on topic, and will satisfy information to people who don't know so much about LCD screens and hacking them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl7rshPe-x4
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

It's not the worst guide I've seen, but those types of screen with the parallel interface can usually be driven quite easily tbh.

I like Ben Heck's vids, and I've been on the forum for years, but I'm pretty sure he gets a lot of help with his projects now.
Mainly because his soldering SUCKS! lol (sorry, but it's true).

I don't quite know how he managed to solder those small wires to that connector, and build some of the projects he's done?

There are a few projects on the Web now which show you how to drive an LVDS display directly from an FPGA.
So, as long as you match the GPU resolution to the panel, you should be able to use most laptop screens or other common type of display using a $30 board.
(max resolution may be limited by your chosen FPGA though).

You can also generate HDMI directly from a basic FPGA now.
Making a nice test pattern generator is quite easy. ;)

OzOnE.
remosito

Post by remosito »

Fredz wrote:Ah thanks for the answer, the first option makes sense.

Forgot to mention but they said that support for other LCD panels would need a new interface board and that the development cost would be $1000. I also thought it was only a matter of reprogramming the board, but it may be a bit more complicated.

Maybe it's the fact that each screen has it's own connector? If you read through laseredges posts you will see even sharp 5 and 5.9 screens have different connectors. Even though they use the same display tech and have same maker...

As for the 5.5 inch screen. Personally I think that is a tad too small and will leave a lot of ppl out with larger IPDs...
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I got a quote for the LG LD070WU2-SM01 1200x1920 7" panel (A1 grade) :
- samples : $75
- over 50pcs : $55
- over 100pcs : $50
- over 1000pcs : $42

Looks like the best candidate for a screen replacement for the Rift I'd say. If I knew where to start I would be very tempted to buy one or two and have a try at a HDMI->MIPI conversion board. I hope LaserEdge is still around. :)
cegli
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cegli »

Man, that's definitely the screen you want right there... If it fit perfectly into the rift, no mods or new lenses needed. You'd just need screen, mipi -> hdmi. You would need it to show up as a rift though. I guess you would have to spoof the EDID? I'm not exactly sure how that works.

What's the barrier to doing this, besides the mipi -> hdmi. Just EDID spoofing?
MSat

Post by MSat »

That 7" 16:10 panel is definitely the way to go if you want to maintain software compatibility.

@Fredz
I assume that the supplier would also be able to provide a datasheet, correct?

Looking at that quantity pricing just goes to show that Oculus could create an HD version of the devkit, and if they would be able to push a high volume of them, they could likely be able to sell them for $150 or less.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

I don't think EDID spoofing will be too difficult. ;)

The few other things to worry about are that a basic MIPI adapter wouldn't have any scaling capability (unless a Realtek type board is used for that).
So, the software would need to output in the panel's native res, which is also portrait for many of the 1080p "mobile" panels.

Some of the current demos don't have the config screen for choosing the res, so I'm not sure if they check the EDID for the preferred res or not?

The best MIPI board would be a combination of a scaler and MIPI converter.
I believe many of the common Realtek scaler chips only output in LVDS or parallel RGB though, so that will be a pain.

If we could get hold of an IC which does LVDS to MIPI conversion, then all you would need is a Realtek board configured for the specific panel.
(MIPI adapter would connect between the scaler board and the panel).

I wish Oc would produce an HD dev kit too.
I guess they're concentrating on the consumer version atm, but I think most of us would still buy the consumer one, even after an HD DK.

OzOnE.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

MSat wrote:I assume that the supplier would also be able to provide a datasheet, correct?
No idea. I could ask them but then they would probably ask why I would need this. And the answer would be in direct competition with their HDMI-MIPI board, not really fair.
MSat

Post by MSat »

Fredz wrote:
MSat wrote:I assume that the supplier would also be able to provide a datasheet, correct?
No idea. I could ask them but then they would probably ask why I would need this. And the answer would be in direct competition with their HDMI-MIPI board, not really fair.
Well, if they're willing to sell the panels without their HDMI->MIPI board, then I don't really see what the big deal is. Especially if your goal isn't to make such board for the sake of directly competing with them.
MSat

Post by MSat »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:I don't think EDID spoofing will be too difficult. ;)

The few other things to worry about are that a basic MIPI adapter wouldn't have any scaling capability (unless a Realtek type board is used for that).
So, the software would need to output in the panel's native res, which is also portrait for many of the 1080p "mobile" panels.

Some of the current demos don't have the config screen for choosing the res, so I'm not sure if they check the EDID for the preferred res or not?

The best MIPI board would be a combination of a scaler and MIPI converter.
I believe many of the common Realtek scaler chips only output in LVDS or parallel RGB though, so that will be a pain.

If we could get hold of an IC which does LVDS to MIPI conversion, then all you would need is a Realtek board configured for the specific panel.
(MIPI adapter would connect between the scaler board and the panel).

I wish Oc would produce an HD dev kit too.
I guess they're concentrating on the consumer version atm, but I think most of us would still buy the consumer one, even after an HD DK.

OzOnE.
Can't most of these things be done via video card settings? Things like rotation, and up/downscale to native res?

Otherwise, IIRC, the Realtek chip also outputs RGB and not just LVDS, so it could interface right in with the Solomon Systech device.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Ahh, you're right you know, I forgot the SSD2828 can accept a parallel RGB input as well...

http://www.solomon-systech.com/en/produ ... p/ssd2828/

Should be possible to use a Realtek chip for scaling then, but it would still need to be a custom board, as most of the cheap controllers only breakout the LVDS pins.

The scaler would need to be configured for the specific panel / res though.

The problem with the portrait panels is just to confirm that the GPU can definitely output in that res.
From seeing the 1080x1920 portrait option in the Rift demos, I'd say that this is likely working OK (and what Oc is using for their HD prototype).

There's no simple way to test this without an appropriate portrait panel though.
I did try the portrait res in one of the demos, and it seemed to switch to that res fine on my GTX 670 (even though my monitor couldn't display it, and went blank).

I'm guessing / hoping that the portrait rotation / scaling is all done at the post-render stage, so won't affect rendering at all?
MSat

Post by MSat »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:
I'm guessing / hoping that the portrait rotation / scaling is all done at the post-render stage, so won't affect rendering at all?
I think the rotation is done at a low level in the gpu driver, and any software is oblivious to this. All the software knows is the panel resolution reported by the driver. As far as the gpu-based scaler, that's probably done post render. I do wonder how necessary a receiver-side scalar would be. As far as I can tell, my old gpu doesn't support scalaing...
schipleon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by schipleon »

wileythecoyote wrote: There's a big chance it won't fit inside of the hmd enclosure. It's 16:9 instead of 16:10 so it's a bit wider and there's hardly any extra room in the hmd. Some one should get that innolux panel dimensions so we can compare, but it is a slim chance at best. Also with that panel, you would be wasting those precious pixels. For maximized image quality, it is best to use a panel that just fills your fov.
I'm designing an HMD myself for an university-project; but why is it necassary to put a 7" screen as replacement? If my optics are right and you have a lens with f=50mm; then the distance between the lens and lcd is 50mm and with a FOV-per-eye of 90*, you only need like a screen of 100mm?

Or am I miscalculating things over here?

Thank you for the help!

Regards,
ripcurl123
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ripcurl123 »

any more updates from laseredge seems the news has gone cold
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

schipleon wrote:
wileythecoyote wrote: There's a big chance it won't fit inside of the hmd enclosure. It's 16:9 instead of 16:10 so it's a bit wider and there's hardly any extra room in the hmd. Some one should get that innolux panel dimensions so we can compare, but it is a slim chance at best. Also with that panel, you would be wasting those precious pixels. For maximized image quality, it is best to use a panel that just fills your fov.
I'm designing an HMD myself for an university-project; but why is it necassary to put a 7" screen as replacement? If my optics are right and you have a lens with f=50mm; then the distance between the lens and lcd is 50mm and with a FOV-per-eye of 90*, you only need like a screen of 100mm?

Or am I miscalculating things over here?

Thank you for the help!

Regards,
They are talking about replacing the Rift DK screen itself, not a DIY HMD. If you are building a DIY HMD then the choice is yours.
schipleon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by schipleon »

baggyg wrote:
They are talking about replacing the Rift DK screen itself, not a DIY HMD. If you are building a DIY HMD then the choice is yours.
Thank you for the reply :-) I know, but still the same question as I hoped with the answer to that question to answer questions I've with my project.

Thank you in advance!
Kernel32
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kernel32 »

schipleon wrote: I'm designing an HMD myself for an university-project; ....
schipleon wrote:
baggyg wrote:
Thank you for the reply :-) I know, but still the same question as I hoped with the answer to that question to answer questions I've with my project.

Thank you in advance!
What university do you study at?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
schipleon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by schipleon »

Kernel32 wrote:
What university do you study at?
University of Twente, The Netherlands ;-)
Kernel32
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kernel32 »

That is a kickass project http://surgrob.blogspot.cz/2010/07/utwente.html :)
Basically you can use any lens/screen size if math is right.
Every time you need to calculate both horizontal and vertical fov and screen size. You can post in the DIY thread what size screen do you have or inspire there if buying at the moment. We are going slightly offtopic here.

Return to “Oculus VR”