I have cracked the screen door effect!

Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Re: I have cracked the screen door effect!

Post by Lilwolf »

I just ordered one. I think I will have enough for more then one rift. If it works out, I'll put a post up.

Now if we could get someone with a 3d printer to print a ring to attach these too, for a more official looking hack without tape. Plus to allow us to glue the edges to give it some strength. (note to self, I need to order a 3d printer when my wife isn't looking at the finances).... (note to self, need to find a place to hide a 3d printer)... (note to self, ask wife if she knows what a 3d printer looks like)
shiva
Cross Eyed!

Post by shiva »

Lilwolf wrote: (note to self, I need to order a 3d printer when my wife isn't looking at the finances).... (note to self, need to find a place to hide a 3d printer)... (note to self, ask wife if she knows what a 3d printer looks like)
made my day :lol:
shiva
Cross Eyed!

Post by shiva »

just did the upgrade, it's a definite bigtime improvment
Thanks again for this, well worth it
blindboxes
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by blindboxes »

I've tried this mod. While it does work, I don't see a point in adjusting the height of the privacy screen, because the border in the middle will push the privacy screen against the Rift screen anyway. There needs to be additional instructions, like, the middle border needs to be sanded. I plan to do this later. For now, removing the non-reflective surface helps alleviate the amount of pressure on the privacy screen, allowing it to be better.

Hardest part of the mod seems to be on getting to the screen. I now have broken one of the plastic lever/locks on the Rift, just so that I can put in my butter knife and twist to open the Rift up. Pretty much a DIY mod in itself.

Final thoughts: Having a higher pixel density and pixel fill is still better than using a privacy screen. With the privacy screen, you could see the grid array of the privacy screen itself.

Thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT: All right, just to see how good this mod is, I tried having a go with the Rift coaster. I finally could see every detail there is, and the 3D effect is MUCH better with the screen door effect gone. The bad thing is, it makes the low resolution of the DK Rift even more apparent! :lol:

EDIT2: Instead of sanding the middle border, adding cardboard in the middle, under the privacy screen seems to be enough.
shiva
Cross Eyed!

Post by shiva »

blindboxes wrote: Hardest part of the mod seems to be on getting to the screen. I now have broken one of the plastic lever/locks on the Rift, just so that I can put in my butter knife and twist to open the Rift up. Pretty much a DIY mod in itself.
Actually it's pretty easy, you just need the right tool, such as a very slim screwdriver, not a butter knife :)
Just put the tip of it (1 mm is enough) into the small space that separates the screen from the rift and twist it a bit, the plastic levers will unlock without a hassle
xhonzi
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by xhonzi »

Was a cheaper alternative for the diffusive material ever sourced?
shole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by shole »

in the original thread i found lamination sheets to be a cheap and effective method
Mozzie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mozzie »

shole wrote:in the original thread i found lamination sheets to be a cheap and effective method
I have both used the lamination plastic method and recently just tried the 3M privacy method and I can guarantee you that the privacy screen is magnitudes better. The laminate method I found to blur the picture too much and I ended up removing it after 2 weeks of use. The privacy filter does not seem to blur the picture, (it actually seems to enhance it). If I were you, I would definitely try to do the 3M privacy hack, although, I know it is not cheap by any means.
ripcurl123
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ripcurl123 »

3dvison wrote:
TheHolyChicken wrote: Your understanding of screen door is completely wrong. It's a physical artifact of the screen itself, and has nothing to do with software.
I am with the Chicken. This is the WonderBra Fix, because it puts something (The 3m screen) where there was nothing (The empty area around the pixels).
And If you remove it, you are left with your imagination to fill in the empty spaces. ;)
lol now that made me chuckle
couldnt put it better myself
Applemung
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Applemung »

The 3M screen can be done for less than $50, look for a tablet sized privacy screen.
All the 3M privacy screens are the same material, just different sizes.
s13n1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by s13n1 »

Sorry to dig up a relatively old thread, but i only got my Rift a couple of days ago and im looking into different mods to improve things if possible.

My first post here too, so hello all :-)

I'm sorry if im missing something obvious here, I could be way off so bare with me.

I've read through the whole thread, and nowhere does anyone talk about how the 3M screens actually work. Now i dont know exactly how they work, or even seen one IRL, but i imagine if they reduce the viewing angles of your screen, it does this by forcing the light to only pass through at a certain angle, kind of like a polarising filter for a camera, but via a series of lines, kind of like a lenticular image.

One thing that might possibly affect its performance is the different pixel density of different lcd displays, so a 3M filter designed for a higher density screen may not work as well, because the lines on the filter are smaller for the higher density pixels, while a filter for a lower density screen might work better because the lines are larger to match the lower pixel density.

I've had a quick look on the 3M site, but i cant see any clear information regarding the screen specifications, if they differ from one another or not.

I think an easy way to test this is to get hold of a 7" tablet, like a Nexus 7, or even just any another LCD screen you know has the same pixel density as the Rift, and make a spacer block to rest on the screen, which you can place your eye cups over and quickly test different filters, or to just get the optimal mounting distance via spaces.

I really like the idea of this MOD as its very simple and shouldn't cause any damage if your careful.

There might even be more that can be done, as Projector users have no doubt been fighting the battle with the SDE for years. There might already exist some very good filters for older projectors that do an even greater job.

Cheers.
Kazioo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kazioo »

Miller
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Miller »

Cutting some of that black middle piece off of the rift was dumb. I know at least a few people on here have done it without problems, but I encourage you to not do it in case you're like me and have a problem.

In the left peripheral of my right eye, I see the left screen. In the right peripheral of my left eye, I see the right screen. To be clear: It's WAY more annoying than the screen door effect.

I am currently in the process of trying to fix it with duct tape, but struggling to make it as effective as that little black piece was. There always seems to be just a little piece of my peripheral that is 'wrong'.

The picture is better, definitely, but it wasn't worth this peripheral vision thing. Hopefully you learn from where I done goofed and don't shave that black thing. I'm not sure why this hasn't been noted by anyone else who's done this, maybe I just have wide peripheral vision or something?

UPDATE**

All fixed now. The duct tape did not work because it was too reflective, so I got painters tape which is flat. Then I just noticed the blue of the painters tape. Colored it with sharpie, but again there was a weird glare off of it like with the duct tape. Finally, I peeled off the black foam stuff that covered that plastic bit in the middle that I regretted shaving, and just moved it up so it covered the painters tape. That was what ended up working. I'm guessing the stuff is some sort of special light absorbing material and that's why they covered the plastic with it. Screen does look better with the 3m privacy screen on it, and the gap between the screen and the sheet makes a noticeable difference as well.

Moral of the story: Don't underestimate that stupid black plastic piece that divides your screen, nor should you underestimate the material that covers it.
Balmung
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Balmung »

Do you Guys think this Mod is a good Idea for the DK2 too?

I mean when this work on DK1 it should work on DK2 too with a better Quality Result, right?

I want to test this as soon as my DK2 is arrived here.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

DK2 looks great without any modding. I wouldn't risk breaking the device (and voiding the warranty) just to try this mod.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

How longs the warranty we're getting on it? Guess we need to pay ourselves to ship it back if there's a problem?
Balmung
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Balmung »

cybereality wrote:DK2 looks great without any modding. I wouldn't risk breaking the device (and voiding the warranty) just to try this mod.
Yeah, ok, first the Question is how easy it is to make such a Mod without a high Risk to damage the Device.

But we all know that the DevKit 2 is far away to have a Display with small enough Pixels and everyone must know at himself if such a Mod is it worth for the Risks or not.

But sure, I'm no Idiot, first I will see how disturbing the Pixels are over some Days and than I will see. Have no experience so far, the DK2 is my first (VR) HMD.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Endothermic wrote:How longs the warranty we're getting on it? Guess we need to pay ourselves to ship it back if there's a problem?
I don't think there is a set time-frame, but we try to be fair about it. Prepaid shipping is provided at no cost.
cgp44

Post by cgp44 »

Hey Cyber,

is there a DK2 fHD resolution version of the Unity plugin dll anywhere?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

You can run Unity at any supported resolution. However, I don't think the plug-in supports DK2 features just yet.

Return to “Oculus VR”