Dealing with the screen door effect

vittorio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Dealing with the screen door effect

Post by vittorio »

I went out today to find the perfect diffuser film in my town. First I called a bigger local optician, but they don't have diffuser films and he didn't know anything about it.

Next I went to a big electronic store. They had three anti-glare screen protector films. By looking at them I first thought they will work perfectly, but testing them (in store) on a nexus 7 and a oculus rift lense they don't diffuse enough, way too less, I still could see the RGB subpixels. Tested protectors were:
* Belkin Tablet Screen protector film, anti-glare, for Galaxy Tab
* Emporia protector film, anti-glare, for IPad mini
* Emporia Universal display protection Tablet + e-book (anti-glare)

What I didn't think about in the store was to test them with some distance to the screen or to stack two protectors, maybe someone can test this (or think about that when testing protectors)

So I came home with five different kinds of trash and food bags. All work. Seems to be the best material (atm). But they all have in common to have wrinkles or some unevenness.
mrgrey
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mrgrey »

I have an old laptop screen lying around (replaced it with a working screen for a friend) and have just realized it has a diffuser sheet on it. As I don't have my rift I tried it on my monitor and was pleasantly surprised with the results. This is built for just this purpose and is semi rigid so doesn't suffer with the creasing or bubbles. Maybe worth a try?
Bretspot
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bretspot »

Try some of this:
Unfortunately I do not think it comes in 3" wide strips. On iPhone 4s it is JUST enough to blur out the subpixels. On the Rift, it should still leave the subpixels visible, but not provide as much distortion as plastic baggies. Try it. :)

As an added bonus, when I peeled the tape off my screen, it left an incredibly clean surface underneath with no residue, even fingerprints.
Congratulations! You're a backer of Among the Sleep by Krillbite Studio
vittorio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by vittorio »

mrgrey wrote:I have an old laptop screen lying around (replaced it with a working screen for a friend) and have just realized it has a diffuser sheet on it. As I don't have my rift I tried it on my monitor and was pleasantly surprised with the results. This is built for just this purpose and is semi rigid so doesn't suffer with the creasing or bubbles. Maybe worth a try?
I had still my broken notebook (Dell Inspiron 8000, 1400x1050 display), so I took apart the display. The front film is glued on the display and is some kind of diffuser+polarizer film but not useable (dirty due to the glue, thick and polarizing). But for the backlight there are two diffusion films in it.

The bottom diffusion film has too much diffusion, but the diffusion of the top film is just right. But then I noticed another effect, the graininess of the diffusion film. It is too grainy, so when looking through the oculus rift lens especially on bright (white) spots you see a shimmering noisy RGB effect.
It's slightly noticeable when using the trash and food bags too but the graininess is alot better.

This is really cool, these sheets where built to diffuse light but the trash bags are still superior :)

So, where to get a fine grained diffusion film with the right amount of diffusion, like the trash and food bags, but with the stiffness of the backlight diffusion film. Maybe other displays have a finer grained backlight diffusion film.
Brownie-UK7
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brownie-UK7 »

I had a crack at this last night and was very impressed with the results. In only 1 try and reduced the SDE significantly.

I used the bag you get from fruit and veg and cut out a rectangle that was bigger than the faceplate itself. I then held the plastic over the top of the screen keeping it as taught as possible to remove the creases. My lovely assistant (the missus) then put the eye pieces back on snapping the case shut and trapping the plastic (and therefore holding it in place) in the clips. This meant the plastic stayed pretty rigid and meant I didn't have to mess around with fiddly sticky tape. Although this does mean I have bits of plastic hanging out the side of the Rift!

The reduction in SDE is instantly noticeable and made for a far better experience in my opinion. You obviously lose some sharpness but it is a trade well worth it.

Using this technique (as already mentioned) the real trick is keeping the plastic hair/dust free and also as flat as possible. There is one section in my view where the plastic is obviously closer to the screen that in other places which results in almost the same view as without the diffuser which at least is good to highlight the difference.

Overall, with 15 minutes work and on the first try the results are very promising. I shall try tonight with a bin bag to see if there is much difference - although our ones are green so it may look a little like the Matrix in there.
madascanbe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by madascanbe »

Has anyone considered using glass frosting film(static cling or sticky back) from a local DIY store, these type of films seem to have all the properties you guys are looking for.
Would try it myself but I don't have a rift yet.
vittorio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by vittorio »

Brownie-UK7 wrote:Has anyone considered using glass frosting film(static cling or sticky back) from a local DIY store, these type of films seem to have all the properties you guys are looking for.
Good idea, I tried all glass frosting films at two DIY superstores today but they all were too grainy, worse than the backlight diffusor film. The brand was d-c-fix (I can't remember the second brand).
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Has anybody tried drafting vellum?
http://www.dickblick.com/products/clearprint-1000h-drafting-vellum/ wrote:Clearprint 1000H Drafting Vellum is said to be America's finest technical art paper. Its surface is transparent, smooth, and uniform. Pen and pencil lines come out sharp and clean with no feathery edges and no ghosting. Erase, redraw, and then erase again.

This remarkable paper retains its strength, stability, transparency, and printing qualities under exposure to heat, light, and atmosphere. It will not become yellow, brittle, or opaque with age.
shole
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by shole »

Any paper based film would have a paper pulp pattern with it or possibly some visible fibres.
Worth a try if you have one, but the eye comes so close to it that I expect all papers to be unusable.

I went and bought various brands of screen and document protectors that have a diffusing effect of varying strength.
They all do a great effect at diffusing, but it diffracts the picture too much, resulting in this shimmering color noise effect vittorio mentioned.
http://wanha.com/present/plasticbagmod/colornoise.JPG
It is really noticeable.
The plastic bag is still the best option I've had.
I got a lot of confused looks from store clerks when I asked for fuzzy plastics.
(and I was doubly annoyed that I then had to reapply it, when it's so difficult to get clean and flat)
I have a broken monitor in storage for parts so I'll raid it tomorrow for the diffuser.
Even if it's too clear, I can just reapply it twice.
vittorio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by vittorio »

Since the food and trash bags are still the best thing to use, I made a comparison of the five types I bought. Turned out they all differ in diffusion, graininess and surface smoothness. None was optimal (less diffusion, less graininess, more smoothness). Turned out I can't stand the graininess, so my winner is ALUFIX 40x 25 liter trash bags :)

I mean to say, it's worth to get more than one type of bag and test them.
Bretspot
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bretspot »

Did anyone try the scotch tape yet? Having the "Solid" connection between the film and the display seems to work REALLY well for me. The only problem is, the tape I am using on my Kindle Fire is 3/4" wide and not the 3.5" wide needed for the entire display. But the amount of screen door blurring is *just right* when using a 3x rift-like hand-lens. I swear, if I had a rift I'd be trying this right now. As an added bonus when I peel the tape off it peels off all the fingerprints, dust, etc. from my screen and leaves it factory clean!
Evenios
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Evenios »

i wanted to say before i got my Rift that all these people who say the screen is bad is just a bit picky but its true. The resolution is terrible it really is i would say the single hinderence to the Rift as it stands right now. On a side note. the only time i had "motion blur" was if my framerate in a game wasnt smooth got no blur issues with tuscany or minecraft with optifine and the rift mod......

the good news is that im sure their HD prototype shown at e3 and other places will help show people what they are working towards. The bad news is.....it really is pretty bad in the dev kit right now....i almost kinda regret getting mine from ebay.....but then again i am glad i found out about this now rather then waiting another month or two only to be let down by the screen.

but its still a neat device but i think the hype it has gotten so far has been a bit overblown. I think most of it comes from the first impressions you do go wow when you first try it out but after that you do notice the limitations. but i still like the Rift and find it does give you a diffrent experence. i look foward to the progress the next versions will have. For anyone who has no preordered yet or considering getting one on ebay unless your a serious dev

you should wait. a hardcore gamer right now will be let down....you do lose a lot of the finer details because of the low res screen like for example in the tuscany demo the trees outside were all pixely almost appearing as bad as if they were in a ds game blown up or something.

and for some reason when i mirror my display it wont let me do 1280 by 800 go figure. also for some reason i got banned from the oculus dev forms (not sure why?) heh.
vittorio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by vittorio »

I mounted the film on the rift display yesterday, it's an improvement. But the diffusion is less pronounced as it was when I tested it on the nexus 7 (+ oculus lens), still seeing slightly some RGB subpixels. Probably because of to the added distance due to the glass on the nexus 7. I should have tested all the bag types on the rift display. Trying to add some distance. The graininess is noticeable and should really kept low, especially noticeable when stuff is moving on the display cause the random pattern caused by the graininess is static.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

vittorio wrote:I mounted the film on the rift display yesterday, it's an improvement. But the diffusion is less pronounced as it was when I tested it on the nexus 7 (+ oculus lens), still seeing slightly some RGB subpixels. Probably because of to the added distance due to the glass on the nexus 7. I should have tested all the bag types on the rift display. Trying to add some distance. The graininess is noticeable and should really kept low, especially noticeable when stuff is moving on the display cause the random pattern caused by the graininess is static.
The Nexus has a digitizer glued on the surface too, besides the "gorilla glass" (under a different name) layer. I broke my glass so the digitizer no longer works. Where it came off in the corner shows significant thickness (more than a millimeter, I think) but the LCD underneath works fine. The Rift has no such thick glass layer over the LCD panel.
Last edited by geekmaster on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
vittorio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by vittorio »

geekmaster wrote:The Nexus has a digitizer glued on the surface too, besides the "gorilla glass" (under a different name) layer. I broke my glass so the digitizer no longer works. Were it came off in the corner shows significant thickness (more than a millimeter, I think) but the LCD underneath works fine. The Rift has no such thick glass layer over the LCD panel.
I couldn't find out the thickness of the Nexus 7 glass on the net. Good info.
Brownie-UK7
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brownie-UK7 »

after giving it a final try I think I've have got the the "as good as I can get it" point and I'm happy to say that is pretty damned good.

The one tip I can give that helped me get rid of ALL the wrinkles was to increase the size of the plastic substantially (cutting out a small square in the corner for where the wire meets the screen) so that you have at least 1 cm of bag hanging out of the Rift on all 4 sides. Then refit the case without taping anything down and only using the casing to pin the plastic in place. After refitting the case you can these gently pull on the edges of the bag that are hanging out the side of the Rift which will smooth out your wrinkles. I found it best to be looking at a completely white screen through the rift itself to best see where the wrinkles are.

You could always then cut off these bits hanging out the side if you so wish as the casing should still hold it in place. But I ain't too bothered about how it looks. I'm already stood in the middle of my living room with a big black mask on my face and my mouth hanging open so a bit of additional plastic wont improve my "looking good" rating!

This really worked for me so thanks a lot for starting this thread as the SDE was one thing I was struggling to get past - no more.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Brownie-UK7 wrote:after giving it a final try I think I've have got the the "as good as I can get it" point and I'm happy to say that is pretty damned good.

The one tip I can give that helped me get rid of ALL the wrinkles was to increase the size of the plastic substantially (cutting out a small square in the corner for where the wire meets the screen) so that you have at least 1 cm of bag hanging out of the Rift on all 4 sides. Then refit the case without taping anything down and only using the casing to pin the plastic in place. After refitting the case you can these gently pull on the edges of the bag that are hanging out the side of the Rift which will smooth out your wrinkles. ...
This really worked for me so thanks a lot for starting this thread as the SDE was one thing I was struggling to get past - no more.
Really good news. Thanks for sharing. Although I have gotten used to SDE long ago (starting out with 320x200 per eye displays), I will try this soon, just for the experience. I sounds useful. For that matter, this or another plastic may even improve the consumer Rift 1080p display a little too).
Brownie-UK7
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brownie-UK7 »

Before my Rift arrived I always thought I would also have no problem getting used to the screen door. After years of playing around with sub-par 3D I always found it easy to get immersed into the game no matter what the state of the display was.

Not sure why this was not the case with the SDE in the Rift but my brain would not let it lie no matter what. It still wouldn't have stopped me using this great piece of kit but with this low tech and easy solution I find it much more effective.
Last edited by Brownie-UK7 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
dusel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dusel »

@Brownie-UK7
Thanks a lot for explaining your way of doing it! are there still some areas where there is a small gap between the screen and the plastic so it is a bit blurry, or did you manage to solve this problem aswell?

And would you mind taking a picture of your final result? To me it seems as if the whole image is blurry now, but isnt it very exhausting for the eye then or is it still sharp enough to focus on details?

(sorry for my bad english :D)
Brownie-UK7
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brownie-UK7 »

Hi Dusel,

I tried to take a photo last night but failed miserably but will give it a go again tonight. But basically what I see is a much smoother image with the SDE only noticeable if I stop and focus hard on one part of the image. Other than than that then the textures are still good.

As you said, I also have 2 small areas (hard to describe their size but probably take up 5% of the screen in total) where the image is blurred due to the distance the plastic is from the screen. I can't seem to get these ironed out using the "pulling" technique but they are so small they have little effect on the overall experience.

If your image is completely blurred and you can see no detail then either the material you are using is not transparent enough of the material itself is too far from the screen which exaggerates the effect. Try using a different bin bag that looks more see through than your current one.

Good luck!

I'll post a picture if I can work out how to capture it properly.
dusel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dusel »

Thanks a lot! Im looking forward for your picture :)
I dont have my devkit yet btw, thats why im asking :D

Another question, which is probably extremely difficult to answer as there are no reference points, but i wonder how big does a single pixel appear if you are wearing the rift?
If i look at this picture for example and open it full size
.. these pixels look huge! Are they bigger then they appear when you wear it?
Evenios
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Evenios »

Yeah the resolution is pretty bad. its not just the screen door but things mainly in the distance look very pixelated....but i found the more you use it the more you get used to it. def need a better screen cant wait for the next version! for me i just am just gonna deal with it so... its still very cool device though!
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

Palmer ultimately decided against using a filter with the following words:

"The resolution can be partially fixed by using a diffusion filter to blur the edges between the pixels, it works very well. Problem is, it hurts contrast, brightness, and black levels pretty heavily."

If you want to experiment with it using a plastic bag, you should perhaps try one that is a bit more solid and as such doesn't have as much wrinkles. Such as this one from Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80251382/
Brownie-UK7
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brownie-UK7 »

OK. cracked it. Gave it another go to try to get rid of the slight blur I was getting due to the plastic not being directly on the screen in certain places.

I took my original piece of plastic and I left it in a book over night with lots of heavy books on top.

Then whilst cleaning off all the particles and hairs and what-not I tripped over the solution to the plastic not "hugging" the screen enough which created this slight blur in places. I was cleaning the plastic with my t-shirt (told ya this is high-tech) which generated a small bit of static (not much) but enough for the plastic to slap itself onto the screen.

I now have none of the patchy blur I had before and the image is great. The SDE is almost totally gone and I certainly don't see it unless I pause and look deliberately for it.

I know I made need to "re-apply" the static every couple of days but this is a small task for making my Rift experience 10x better. For those of you like me had trouble dealing with the SDE I cannot recommend this enough. Just take care taking the front off as those wires do look a little frail to say the least!

Good luck!

here's my pitiful attempt at a screenshot. It may lok a little blurry round the edge but this was the photo not the view when I look through the googles. Sorry, but it was the best I could do ... :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

That picture would be quite nice if it weren't for Merkel! ;-)

You've actually convinced me to give this a try. I am one of those that don't focus on the SDE anymore but I would like to contrast the difference at least
dusel
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dusel »

Thx Brownie, this Looks absolutey amazing oO is it very dangerous to open the case of the rift or quite easy? The Image Looks pretty sharp actually! Thats so cool!

So did you still put the plastic between the rift case while closing it again or did you only let it slap onto the Screen? And you said you used the plastic from a Supermarket plastic bag right? Thx for the Picture!
HMDEngr
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HMDEngr »

The plastic bag is a nice quick and dirty solution but an optical low pass filter like is used to prevent moire in cameras would seem like a real technical solution to the problem. I wonder if Oculus has considered this.
Brownie-UK7
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brownie-UK7 »

Dusel,

it's really easy to open the front otherwise I probably wouldn't have done it in the first place. Just check out the earlier posts in this thread. You can even do it with your fingers alone if you apply pressure at the right point. The wires connecting the screen to the wired point on the mask look pretty think to me. I've not heard of anyone damging their headset but this is the part I am always careful with as looks to be the most delicate.

I tried both but it didn't make any difference the effect was the same. The static is the key. However with the edges hanging out the screen it keeps it from slipping out of place as obviously it is only fixed to the screen with the static which wont last forever - unless ..................

I'm using a green bin bag from the super market. I found that the only fruit n veg bags I could get were too thin and didn't really work.
Brownie-UK7
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brownie-UK7 »

HMDEngr wrote:The plastic bag is a nice quick and dirty solution but an optical low pass filter like is used to prevent moire in cameras would seem like a real technical solution to the problem. I wonder if Oculus has considered this.
they did consider it but were not happy with the reduction in brightness and sharpness and felt it was better without. I guess this is totally subjective as I find it much better with.

You're right it is super-quick and über-dirty (we're using bin bags for God's sake!) and I'd like to try a more professional approach but don't have the time to go round buying loads of filters and trying out each one until my bowl of porridge is just right. Hopefully someone else here might do though ..... :?

In the mean-time in the eternal words of Mother Theresa: quick and dirty will do me fine!
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

I'm starting the process now of taking some produce sacks and flattening them with weight and heat.

I'm going to test it out on the kids tablet first to see if I can get all of the bubbles out before opening up my rift. I intend to use some cooking spray as a contact medium and a small paint brush to make sure there aren't any air bubbles. When I'm done I'll post results. It's a cool day in Texas, so I'll have to wait till it hits the 90s for a while before I pull them out of the book.
dusel wrote:Thx Brownie, this Looks absolutey amazing oO is it very dangerous to open the case of the rift or quite easy? The Image Looks pretty sharp actually! Thats so cool!

So did you still put the plastic between the rift case while closing it again or did you only let it slap onto the Screen? And you said you used the plastic from a Supermarket plastic bag right? Thx for the Picture!
Based on the tear down video it should just be a snap to pop the front off. Check this out:
http://youtu.be/oJ9w2ihEHxQ?t=3m50s
Brownie-UK7
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Brownie-UK7 »

Ericshelpdesk wrote:I'm starting the process now of taking some produce sacks and flattening them with weight and heat.

I'm going to test it out on the kids tablet first to see if I can get all of the bubbles out before opening up my rift. I intend to use some cooking spray as a contact medium and a small paint brush to make sure there aren't any air bubbles. When I'm done I'll post results. It's a cool day in Texas, so I'll have to wait till it hits the 90s for a while before I pull them out of the book.
That sounds like a sensible approach. I did the same on my girlfriends iPad mini. if you take one of the lenses and do a before and after on the tablet you can get a fairly good impression of the difference so will give you a good idea before you take the front off.

It is really simple to get the front off ... in that video (if its the one I think it is) then they unscrew part of the mask in step one. In case its not clear then you don't need to do this to get the screen off (a mistake I made on my first go -damn those screws were tight!!)
HMDEngr
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HMDEngr »

Brownie-UK7 wrote:
HMDEngr wrote:The plastic bag is a nice quick and dirty solution but an optical low pass filter like is used to prevent moire in cameras would seem like a real technical solution to the problem. I wonder if Oculus has considered this.
they did consider it but were not happy with the reduction in brightness and sharpness and felt it was better without. I guess this is totally subjective as I find it much better with.

You're right it is super-quick and über-dirty (we're using bin bags for God's sake!) and I'd like to try a more professional approach but don't have the time to go round buying loads of filters and trying out each one until my bowl of porridge is just right. Hopefully someone else here might do though ..... :?

In the mean-time in the eternal words of Mother Theresa: quick and dirty will do me fine!

An optical low pass filter will not reduce the brightness also it will not kill the modulation at the spatial frequencies that matter if done right.
Maybe oculus' plan is just to keep raising the pixel count and reduce the pixel size until the screen door effect is unresolvable by the eye.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

HMDEngr wrote:An optical low pass filter will not reduce the brightness ...
That depends on how much light gets absorbed or relected by the filter. Although the loss of brightness should be minimal with a high quality diffusion filter. Even with some light loss, the Rift brightness can be adjusted to compensate, and our eyes will dark-adjust as well. Even color shifts caused by the filter will be compensated by our natural "white balance" (Land effect) color perception.
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

I found that the bag material I was using did not take well to being heated or flattened and made it's own little tiny ripples. I also decided that trying to use a light coating of oil had its own issues and didn't result in a positive effect.

I took my spare bag and cut it so that one of the folds ended up in the middle of the screen and just laid it on carefully, trying to avoid any dust motes. While I clicked the screen down, I pulled the edges of the plastic to eliminate any ripples, and that was enough. I cut the material from around the edges and it seems to be held down well enough to work.

Fair warning to anyone who tries this. ANY little dust mote, even one that you can't see on the screen, is enough to kill a part of a pixel and be very noticeable. Try to do this procedure in as clean an environment as possible and go over the screen with a white background multiple times with one of the eye cups to see if you've got all of the dust out of it.

The effect I got using a produce sack was enough to soften, but not eliminate the screen door effect. I can still see sub pixel effects enough to read your microfont Geekmaster, but the difference was well worth the minimal effort to make the modification. I've got a couple of dust motes trapped that aren't exactly in my field of vision that I'm not going to spend more time dealing with today, but I will probably re-do this when I can figure out how to make the dust go away.

Overall, I'm going to call this a limited success.
Bretspot
Cross Eyed!

Post by Bretspot »

Palmer said that a great way to deal with dust is to go into the bathroom, close it and turn on the shower extra hot for 10 mins, the fog collects the dust quite nicely. This is sort of a make-shift clean room approach. Maybe wear a hair-net and wear some sort of non-linty fabric, like a track suit! LOL!
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Bretspot wrote:Palmer said that a great way to deal with dust is to go into the bathroom, close it and turn on the shower extra hot for 10 mins, the fog collects the dust quite nicely. This is sort of a make-shift clean room approach. Maybe wear a hair-net and wear some sort of non-linty fabric, like a track suit! LOL!
I have used that method for a hard drive platter swap (for data recovery), but I also put a towel against the crack under the bathroom door. Not only does the moisture trap and precipitate dust, but it also reduces harmful static electricity if done during the dry winter months. It is very effective for creating a temporary dust free environment. For regular use, I suggest building a laminar air-flow hood (with HEPA filters and drinking straws). Or just do the work inside a large plastic trash bag, as recommended in some posts for swapping lenses in the Rift DK. I also used vinyl gloves in addition to the above recommended apparel, but clean lint-free cotton gloves may also work well to keep finger prints off your Rift LCD screen.
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

After playing with it for a while, I've decided that I don't like the hit to contrast that was the trade off for having less screen door. I'm glad to have tried this, but I'm going back to playing naked.

Also I've removed the plastic from the screen.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Another method would probably be to simply make a 'glove box' with a clear plastic crate and a couple of rubber gloves. Put the rift and masking gear into a bag, put it in, spray a alcohol spray around the interior to down any dust, open the rift bag and work. Works for mushroom growers anyway...
HMDEngr
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HMDEngr »

geekmaster wrote:
HMDEngr wrote:An optical low pass filter will not reduce the brightness ...
That depends on how much light gets absorbed or relected by the filter. Although the loss of brightness should be minimal with a high quality diffusion filter. Even with some light loss, the Rift brightness can be adjusted to compensate, and our eyes will dark-adjust as well. Even color shifts caused by the filter will be compensated by our natural "white balance" (Land effect) color perception.
I wasn't thinking of a diffusion filter. I was thinking of the type that is based on birefringent plates. This type has negligible absorption and reflection (if AR coated).
Nightscar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nightscar »

I haven't gotten my oculus yet but I was wondering how plastic for covering your windows in the winter would work?
or is that to clear?

Return to “Oculus VR”