Wireless Rift DIY Guide

brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Wireless Rift DIY Guide

Post by brantlew »

BOLL wrote:Just to use a separate tracker for body orientation makes me go :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot at this :D Turning with a joystick is currently one of the things that causes me turn green! And to be untethered is also crazy awesome! Makes a wireless Rift not seem too distant! Awesome work Mr Namielus!
I played around and tested independent head and torso tracking in Tuscany using an iPhone on my belt and it is indeed a very natural feeling with greatly reduced dizziness.
WhoIsRich
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WhoIsRich »

No monitors were plugged in, tested on both an ATI and NVidia cards,
1920x1200 shows as an option, but choosing it causes the Asus Wavi to not be able to connect.
But as 1080p is standard, I did not expect any HDMI transmitters to support higher resolutions.

What is annoying is the 1280x800 support, with only the HDMI connected, I get this:

Soon as I up the resolution to 1280x960 everything works fine.
By comparision the SkyVision does work with 1280x800, but also does not support 1920x1200.

Something else that suprised me is the USB pass-through,
it's a completely separate Wireless N adapter that you are pluggin in,
the driver makes it automatically join it's own little WiFi network.
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

Cyber is doing a similar investigation to yourself, I posted a whdi streamer on there that states that it works with 1920x1200
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

whoisrich, I havent had time to sit down with this again. I bit over too much with my photogrammetry scanner, software project, wireless rift and all the demos ive done.

I can tell you if found a fiddlyfix for it, something I do to fix it. But its one of those things I need to do to remember how I do it?

Does that even make sense? haha anyway I did find a way to play 1280x800, I just cant remember how.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

brantlew wrote:
BOLL wrote:Just to use a separate tracker for body orientation makes me go :woot :woot :woot :woot :woot at this :D Turning with a joystick is currently one of the things that causes me turn green! And to be untethered is also crazy awesome! Makes a wireless Rift not seem too distant! Awesome work Mr Namielus!
I played around and tested independent head and torso tracking in Tuscany using an iPhone on my belt and it is indeed a very natural feeling with greatly reduced dizziness.
I was going to do the same thing after that hydra thread, but I don't get any dizziness at all, so it's hard for me to motivate myself to implement it.

I guess the holy grail here is one sensor on your feet, one on your waist, one on your torso, and one on each hand (or gun, if that's what you're using).

I guess it's time for that open source sensor network DIY project..
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
Deop
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Deop »

Got my Asus WAVI today (a used one in excellent condition for just 70€ 8-) ), the barrel plug of the 12V power supply is tip-positive and it appears to be 5.5mm/2.1mm (with spring clips) just like the Rift's.

I will use the LiPoly battery packs of my Quadcopter (they are 3S 2500mAh each or so), just have to solder a cable.

For the Oculus Rift I will use a cheap 5V 5000mAh USB power pack.. it has 2 USB plugs, 1 with 1A and another one with 500mAh (that one could be useful once my Razer Hydra is back from repair). I already have a USB cable that works with the Rift.
Direlight
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Direlight »

For batteries, stick to under 19v. (anything higher is expensive) and look for "universal power pack" or "mobile battery audio visual". If you look around, you'll find several high capacity batteries with multiple adapter heads (some have 20 or more).

If you want to get real fancy, go to audio-visual websites and buy a $500 2-4lb lith-ion belt battery (you put on adapter, etc.) that would give you hours of battery life. They're mainly designed to power big tv cameras, so should power small devices easily.

Go to a site like this (first one I found)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Batte ... 4028759421
and then you just find the right adapter and pick your voltage or wire an adapter from components off ebay or something.
Deop
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Deop »

Direlight wrote:For batteries, stick to under 19v. (anything higher is expensive) and look for "universal power pack" or "mobile battery audio visual". If you look around, you'll find several high capacity batteries with multiple adapter heads (some have 20 or more).

If you want to get real fancy, go to audio-visual websites and buy a $500 2-4lb lith-ion belt battery (you put on adapter, etc.) that would give you hours of battery life. They're mainly designed to power big tv cameras, so should power small devices easily.

Go to a site like this (first one I found)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Batte ... 4028759421
and then you just find the right adapter and pick your voltage or wire an adapter from components off ebay or something.
Well, the Asus WAVI requires 12V but works with 10V. 19V sounds dangerous!
With a 3S LiPo rechargable battery (3*3.7V = 11.1V) I'm fine. I have three of those and with a power consumption of 10V@0.7 amps I can play for several hours with just one battery pack. I also already own a charger for these and they are small and light (less than 200g!). If anyone wants to buy batteries like these, a cheap place to get them is HobbyKing (a large online RC models store with warehouses on most continents).

The 5V 5000mAh will last at least 5 hours, probably more like 7. It cost 13€ on eBay with shipping from Germany. If you buy them from HK they cost less than $12 (for example http://search.ebay.com/230974259386 ) . It is also lightweight. No need to spend a fortune on batteries!

I think I will put everything (the Asus WAVI, the two batteries and perhaps the Razer Hydra base station) in a small backpack.

Has anyone tried the hydra with the base station located on the back of the user yet?
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

yes I did and it works
Riftoholic

Deop
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Deop »

I hooked everything up and it works! One thing that is a major disappointment is that the Asus WAVI requires a (windows only) driver - without it the wireless USB connection doesn't work. Why doesn't it just emulate a USB hub?

Does anyone know of a driver for Mac OS X?

Here's a first picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TTakala
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TTakala »

Those of you have tried Asus WAVI, does the USB return channel suffer from intermittent latency? That would affect the head tracking latency.

A friend of mine experienced this:
"it would frequently stutter and skip updates for a second or so. It's possible this was just RF interference in our building, so it might still be worth trying out."

Have you tried standing ~5 meters (16 feet) from the WAVI base station, and quickly rotating your head to see if there is USB related latency in Rift's head tracking?
NoirFlux
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NoirFlux »

Yes, I am getting USB hiccups from the Rift via the WAVI. Distance makes no difference; the USB data will drop for about a quarter second every 2-20 seconds. This has the effect of making the tracking freeze briefly every so often.

It actually got progressively worse, where it would drop out for seconds at a time - and I noticed the WAVI box had gotten quite hot; not much air flow in the backpack. Turning it off for a while made it better, so that makes me wonder about a thermal problem. I was thinking it was perhaps a bad box, but seeing your comments makes me wonder.

Does anyone have a Rift/WAVI combo that is NOT having intermittent position hiccups?
TTakala
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TTakala »

NoirFlux wrote:Yes, I am getting USB hiccups from the Rift via the WAVI. Distance makes no difference; the USB data will drop for about a quarter second every 2-20 seconds. This has the effect of making the tracking freeze briefly every so often.
Thanks for confirming this issue!
I wonder if there are less hiccups with the USB device that this guy is using:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=18758
RikuDesu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RikuDesu »

The connection never drops, its just not as fast as it would be if it was wired, but good enough to where its barely noticeable and won't make you sick. Don't put the tracking data in a hub with the hydra though, it's too slow to transmit both data streams at once to where it won't be noticeable/make you sick.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I have no issues with hydra + rift tracker + additional usb tracker myself
Riftoholic

MaxPalmer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MaxPalmer »

Has anyone out there managed to get the WAVI USB drivers working on Windows 8.

I also have a Q-waves wireless USB set that only works on Windows 7. Has anyone got this and working on Windows 8?
MaxPalmer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by MaxPalmer »

Manged to get the Wavi USB drivers working on Windows 8.1. See my other post.

Return to “Oculus VR”