Wireless Oculus Rift Experiment

WhoIsRich
One Eyed Hopeful

Wireless Oculus Rift Experiment

Post by WhoIsRich »

I use a Wireless HDMI transmitter to link my media center to my TV, and have a USB server for another project, then I wondered, could I use them to make the Rift wireless?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzGitVK2NFw

It works suprisingly well, adding very little latency, just need a positional tracking system to go with it :)
realyst2k
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Wireless Oculus Rift Experiment

Post by realyst2k »

Hmmm, if the latency of the video is 3ms, and the sensor has 2ms latency, and one reacts to the video as it comes out to the eye, may this actually 'help' the movement discrepancy by syncing sensor fusion to video transmit delay?

(also, how did you test the video latency?)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Awesome!
LukePoga
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by LukePoga »

positional tracking just use one of the hydra. glued to your head. you can pull them apart for size.

edit: oh yeah (wired again)
stevetb
Cross Eyed!

Post by stevetb »

Great idea!
WhoIsRich
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WhoIsRich »

The latency was based on me pinging the Silex USB box. The round trip adds up:
Rift sensor latency -> USB to PC latency -> PC back to Rift screen latency.

Gigabyte advertise their wireless HDMI as having only 1ms of latency, it also uses 5Ghz, and I have played games on from my media center without latency being noticable. But without a real latency tester I cannot give completely accurate timings.

The Silex box has two USB ports, so I could also connect up the Hydra for wireless use at the same time, but not to track my movement around the room. I might look at using my Kinect sensor or a PS3 camera, but I am not going too crazy with this as I live in a regular appartment :D
amermahdy70
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by amermahdy70 »

good work but we have the portable technology available so why the complexity, there are good laptops i-7 processor with Nvidia Graphics card for good gaming , and can put them in backpack, no latency no wire mess,
for less weight you can put the laptop battery in a belt pouch, or for dedicated laptop you can remove the lcd screen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhoIsRich
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WhoIsRich »

Having your computer in a back pack definitely has advantages, like no latency issues and unlimited range.

But a wireless solution has several advantages for me:

Cost - Buying a gaming spec laptop VS making use of the GTX 690 in my PC.
Weight - The receivers are very light, the battery would be the only noticable weight.
Noise - No fans whirring near your ears which can break immersion.
remosito
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by remosito »

amermahdy70 wrote:good work but we have the portable technology available so why the complexity, there are good laptops i-7 processor with Nvidia Graphics card for good gaming , and can put them in backpack, no latency no wire mess,
for less weight you can put the laptop battery in a belt pouch, or for dedicated laptop you can remove the lcd screen.
But, but, but... how am I gonna sit in my cockpit?

And an I7 laptop running inside that bag will run for 3mins before shutting down because of overheat ;-)
Starcitizen - Elite:Dangerous - Xing - Gallery: Six Elements - Among the sleep - Theme Park Studio - The Stomping Land - Son of Nor - Obduction - NOWHERE - Kindom Come : Deliverance - Home Sick - prioVR
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

I am using Asus Wavi. It has wireless HDMI and it has wireless USB.
All you need is a 12v battery. I will show my setup when I have time to photograph them
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
amermahdy70
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by amermahdy70 »

remosito wrote:
amermahdy70 wrote:good work but we have the portable technology available so why the complexity, there are good laptops i-7 processor with Nvidia Graphics card for good gaming , and can put them in backpack, no latency no wire mess,
But, but, but... how am I gonna sit in my cockpit?

And an I7 laptop running inside that bag will run for 3mins before shutting down because of overheat ;-)

brilliant guy!, put your laptop next to you in the " cockpit" :lol:
WhoIsRich
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by WhoIsRich »

Namielus wrote:I am using Asus Wavi. It has wireless HDMI and it has wireless USB.
Interesting, had not seen that product before, found a review here: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1717/

Have you tried the USB with a Rift?
3dRat
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3dRat »

really? I mean seriusly?

what have acomplished WhoIsReach is a proof of concept, definitely wireless is the way to go!!

and Cybereality, with the "Awesome" you are praising the creativity of WhoIsReach, right? is not that in Oculus you have not beeng witness of some of stuff like this, right?
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Can we just pretend that laptop post never happened?

I tried...

Anyway, nice job WhoIsRich. A wireless solution is something I definitely want in the near future.
Namielus wrote:I am using Asus Wavi. It has wireless HDMI and it has wireless USB.
All you need is a 12v battery. I will show my setup when I have time to photograph them
Your thread. It needs to happen. Now. :D
Capyvara
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Capyvara »

I'm not an expert but pinging the box seems far from reliable in measuring the latency, there are encoding/transmitting/decoding latencies you aren't taking in consideration. The right way is to either use the yet to come oculus latency tester or some alternative method such as this guy did: https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... 27&p=10996
RoadKillGrill
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoadKillGrill »

I recently acquired a WHDMI device and it works ok for video but its USB is a bit weird. Mice and keyboards work on it but most other devices don't seem to work on it very well. Some joysticks work and other will work a few minutes then stop or not work at all. The devices are also obviously lagged too.

The video is a bit compressed too, it looks like a jpg image at medium quality while in motion but improves a bit when its still.

Both the transmitter and receiver get pretty hot after a few minutes.

I cant remember the specific model I have, I know its a repack from another company but i cant find the bookmark i made of it x.x

Return to “Oculus VR”