anyone tried HL2+OR+Hydra+3rd space vest?

matteo210
One Eyed Hopeful

anyone tried HL2+OR+Hydra+3rd space vest?

Post by matteo210 »

i was wondering if it is possible to play Half Life 2 with official Oculus Rift support, with Hydra for weapon aiming and 3rd space vest.
I know that all of the accessories are compatible with HL2 by themselves, but i don't know if they will all work together. I've read in another post that Half Life 2 OR doesn't work with the Hydra, can anyone confirm this? Could Sixense Motion Creator be used for setting Hydra to control the weapon?

I've read in an older topic on this forum ( http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=13329 ) that cybereality has one 3rd space vest. Cybereality, if you are reading this, have you tried it with HL2 and the OR?
i have a feeling that if it all worked the level of immersion could be really high, i know 3rd space vest has compatibility problems, maybe it is even a dead project, but even if it only worked with HL2 OR i think it would be worth it.
Lookforyourhands
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: anyone tried HL2+OR+Hydra+3rd space vest?

Post by Lookforyourhands »

It looks cool (concept) but the fact that you have to run a compressor while wearing the vest totally ruins the deal for me lol.

Sooo loouuuddd, especially when you have misophonia. :oops:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia

Listen how loud !! :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvxM-pC7 ... =endscreen
matteo210
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by matteo210 »

yes i have heard it is quite noisy, but with earphones on this should be less of a problem, except for the people around you :twisted: Or maybe you can isolate the compressor to reduce the noise.
anyway, if it works in pair with oculus, i'm guessing it can really add to the immersion. Having three synchronized inputs from different senses (visual, audio and haptic) could be really interesting in terms of tricking the brain. And i imagine all this combined with using the Hydra-stick to move around and the Hydra motion capabilities to aim could be quite a deal. I don't see any reason why this should not work, given that all devices are compatible with Half Life 2. I have already the Hydra, and while i am waiting for my OR i'm thinking about ordering a vest. I just wanted to ear if someone already tried it so that i can be sure it works and it's worth it.
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

Hi matteo210 I don't know if you ended up getting a 3rd space Vest or not but if you haven't I'd suggest giving it a miss. I had similar thoughts about replaying Halflife 2 with the Oculus Rift, Novint Falcon and the TN Games 3rd Space vest to see how much more immersive the Haptic devices can make the OR VR experience..... however it was not to be :evil:

I have had a TN Games 3rd space vest for about 3 years now and the device itself is pretty cool and when it is working as intended can add a lot of immersion to games (even without a VR headset), however the software support and customer service are terrible. Despite on their website under the FAQ section saying
How many games does the driver support?
We update the driver every 2-4 weeks so please check the website often for the updated list of supported titles.
they do not update their driver more than once a year at present. The last update was well over 6 months ago. If that wasn't bad enough most of the "supported Games" in their list that I have tried recently (Including Halflife 2) no longer work, I think this is due to game updates breaking the 3rd Space Driver which would require the 3rd Space team to update it to fix them.
This Company also appears not to have any forums where issues can be brought to their attention, they have never replied to my emails and have not updated their facebook page since 2010. They also never released the Helmet attachment they planned and never released a console ready version that they promised. I hope this company is still going and that they improve their software support but until they do I'd steer clear.

Games I have just tested with the 3rd Space vest:
COD: Modern Warfare 2 - Not detected by 3rd Space Driver at all
COD: Black Ops - Seems to be working
COD: World at War - Not detected by 3rd Space Driver at all
Halflife 2 - "! Communicating with game" Error message and Vest not working
Halflife 2: Episode 1 - "! Communicating with game" Error message and Vest not working
Halflife 2: Episode 2 - "! Communicating with game" Error message and Vest not working

Maybe you would be better off waiting for ARAIG to release their device as it looks much better, unfortunately their Kickstarter failed but I think given a bit more time they will get a product out.

Hope this helps ;)
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
matteo210
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by matteo210 »

hello mAchiNE,

thanks a lot for your advices. In the end i didn't buy it, i think it is a shame the company don't keep the drivers update, it could have been a nice addition to the Oculus Rift, but it really is not worth it if not even HL2 works, as you write.

I am also looking with interest at the Araig, even if i think it's a bit too expensive and i don't like the subwoofer on the back.
And i hope Sixense Hydra 2.0 will have some sort of haptic feedback for the hands, as the prototype rendering seems to suggest.
I am also interested in Yei Technology and their 3-space sensors (i saw there are other post on this topic in this forum), even if it is not haptic.

I am confident soon someone will come out with the right product to satisfy all our haptic and motion tracking needs for a low cost :)
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

Did you see the Novint XIO? It isn't released yet but hopefully it will be sometime in the near future, if they can get its Haptic feedback working even half as good as the Novint Falcon then it will be an awesome VR controller!
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
matteo210
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by matteo210 »

well i have seen it now and it looks really promising. Can't wait to see what the future will bring us.
thanks again!
NobleBrutus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NobleBrutus »

I wonder... supposing someone could make a driver that takes a 7.1 surround sound output then have the 3rd Space hit you from the direction a very loud very low sound comes from similar to the way the Aura Interactor works except directional?

It sounds feasible enough... I think. It would allow for theoretical instant compatibility with any sound producing game but of course really work best with 7.1 sound output on an FPS like Half Life. It would also pick up on the noise of you shooting your own gun causing recoil effect.

Like the Aura, use of a filter setting inside the driver would allow the player to tune out background noise, ideally individually per speaker.
RikuDesu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RikuDesu »

I know the Asus ROG boards have a 7.1 sound detection thing that works like that

http://rog.asus.com/technology/rog-soun ... nic-radar/
NobleBrutus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NobleBrutus »

That's interesting, I didn't think of that. Looking into it more I've come across another project which is actually designed for people who are hard of hearing. They integrated a 'visual sound radar' into Doom 3. I wonder if it works in the same way.
http://gamescc.rbkdesign.com/projects.php

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2011/11/07/h ... eaf-gamers <--- Mentioned fourth paragraph up from the bottom.

EDIT:

Ok, I concluded I am far too lacking to even make an attempt on programming such a driver. However I did some brainstorming and decided I could have a go at make a hard wired electronic circuit in an even more similar fashion to the Aura. I've started a new thread here before I lead this thread off-topic: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=19344

Return to “Oculus VR”