Got my rift today! No motion sickness?

Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Got my rift today! No motion sickness?

Post by Thodder7 »

So I got my rift today, and I have been playing for hours... :woot there were a few demos, that didn't feel right, so I stopped playing them. But the Tuscany Demo, Team fortress, The roller coaster, have all been a blast.

For some reason I can't get the Vireio drivers to work... they cause my machine to crash... still working on a solution, so if any one has any ideas, please share.

Here is a vid of the tuscany demo. The sense of scale is insane. The screen door effect, and motion blur, were better then I expected. Honestly, within 2 mins, i'm so lost in the other world, i don't notice any problems. Resiolution could be better, but the overall experience is insanly positive.

I don't notice any sick feelings at all and I've been jacked in for about 4 hours... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XoQzO2 ... e=youtu.be
tothjm
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Got my rift today! No motion sickness?

Post by tothjm »

Try heli hell... do a vertical nose dive, bank at the last second while looking out the side of the chopper at the trees... made me sick for 30 min last night.... nothing else has made me sick yet lol

also quick question for you, which lens are you using and did you notice a difference in FOCUS between them? I am having an issue with getting focus right... the sweet spot for me on all the lenses are blurred and its terribly irritating for me.
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

Seriously dude, you need to get sick playing, it's really half the fun. I feel sorry for you.

Actually I just feel sorry for myself. I WANT MY RIFT NOW!
www.AwesomeBlade.com
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Post by Rickardo69 »

I love reading positive posts from new Rifters
Cheers Thodder7
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

Wow, banking sharp with the heli is awesome! I do feel my stomach lift, but no nausia. I'm using the cups that were in there when i got it, I think A. I moved the screen out 2 clicks on each side because my long eyelashes were touching the lens.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Alpha Rifter! :D
Vamplifire
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Vamplifire »

Great news! What is your favorite demo/game so far? How does your favorite compare to the one you thought you would enjoy the most?
bizarrobrian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bizarrobrian »

Thodder7 wrote: I don't notice any sick feelings at all and I've been jacked in for about 4 hours... :D
Yea, I only really got slightly (very slightly) uncomfortable after about 2+ hours of 15/20 minutes on then 5 mins off sessions. Maybe we are just the lucky ones :)
Machinima
Cross Eyed!

Post by Machinima »

you luck lucky bastard.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

My first session had nausea and none since.

Best "Rift buzz" for me is the roller-coaster and leaping from tall hills in Rift Valley.
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

I like the Tuscany Demo is amazing, Dear Esther is really cool...Gotta Jack back in!
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

Thodder7 wrote:So I got my rift today, and I have been playing for hours... :woot there were a few demos, that didn't feel right, so I stopped playing them. But the Tuscany Demo, Team fortress, The roller coaster, have all been a blast.

For some reason I can't get the Vireio drivers to work... they cause my machine to crash... still working on a solution, so if any one has any ideas, please share.

Here is a vid of the tuscany demo. The sense of scale is insane. The screen door effect, and motion blur, were better then I expected. Honestly, within 2 mins, i'm so lost in the other world, i don't notice any problems. Resiolution could be better, but the overall experience is insanly positive.

I don't notice any sick feelings at all and I've been jacked in for about 4 hours... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XoQzO2 ... e=youtu.be
Try a reinstall of direct x 9

Hope that helps
UB

Don't try this at home folks....
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

the Sixense Tuscany demo always makes me feel sick. I think its when the motion moves me in a different direction to what I expect.
Weird, as I dont get motion or simulator sick normally.
I'm hoping a modification I'm working on that modifies the way you move around inside the demo will fix the nausea issue for me.

I love making fists and punching stuff in Sixense Tuscany btw :)
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

I've officially been playing for 9 hours, I feel great! :woot When I crash the helicopter, Its a little Jarring, but everything eles is great. I'm not entirely sure where they ex[ect you to put the Hydra in the helicopter game...

Skyrim crashes my comp, but Dear Esther and Half life 2 work. Not liking the Hud stuck where ever I look in Team Fortress 2.

:D
Drewbdoo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Drewbdoo »

Welcome to the club! I haven't gotten mine yet, but a buddy who was a day one kickstarter let me play around with his when it got it for a few hours and I had zero motion sickness and wanted more.

Let's start a competive clan for VR called The Iron Stomachs :lol:
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

Drewbdoo wrote:Welcome to the club! I haven't gotten mine yet, but a buddy who was a day one kickstarter let me play around with his when it got it for a few hours and I had zero motion sickness and wanted more.

Let's start a competive clan for VR called The Iron Stomachs :lol:
haha! I'm in. :D Been playing for 10 hours. So if im not sick yet, I doubt I will be.... This heli-copter demo is amazing. :woot I want more levels to fly around... and it would be nice if they made the hydra support, more like the tuscany (where you strap it to the back of the rift)... but man, I've spent hours just flying around the island, banking and doing sharp turns. Very immersive. I can't wait for the Gallery... with how good Tuscany demo is... My guess is The Gallery will be beyond what any of us expect. The screen door effect fades to the back of your mind quick... and with The Gallery being darker, it would be even less noticable. :)

I dont have a 360 controller, so the "First Law" space flight sim, doesn't seem to work right. I can look around an amazing cockpit. and shoot, but can't seem to fly around. If only I could get the Hydra to act like a 360 controller. This reminds me, I pledged enough for "Star Citizen" to get alpha and beta access! That will be an amazing experience.
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

The original Oculus Rift kickstarter video, made it seem like you could only look around infront of you. In most of the games and demos I play, you can litterally spin 360 degrees. I can't get over how amazing this is. For anyone still waiting... the wait is all worth it once you try it!
Dustcounter
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dustcounter »

I read alot of people using an xbox 360 controllers... I've got 4 playstation controllers here and no xbox. Will ps3 controller work as good as a xbox or do I need to get my hands on a xbox controller?
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

Dustcounter wrote:I read alot of people using an xbox 360 controllers... I've got 4 playstation controllers here and no xbox. Will ps3 controller work as good as a xbox or do I need to get my hands on a xbox controller?

Look up something called DS3tool
It can make your PS3 controller emulate an xbox controller.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

snip
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

To quote the Valve TF Oculus wiki:
Some lucky folks never get any ill-effects and can play comfortably for many hours. You are freaks and the rest of us are very jealous of you.
Aside: I discovered, to my displeasure, that someone had actually edited the wiki and removed that exact quote due to "rudeness". So I added it back in. :lol:
Last edited by TheHolyChicken on Fri May 03, 2013 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
the_wretched
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by the_wretched »

I'm still waiting for my Rift (got an email yesterday that it's about to ship, but not convinced that's true until I have tracking info ;-) ), but I got to demo my friend's for about 2 hours. Never once did I feel sick, and I tried a bunch of different demos (Tuscany - both versions, TF2, Museum of the Microstar, Rift Valley, Heli demo and a few others). He on the other hand felt sick a couple of times quite fast when we switched the Rift during a couple of demos.

I was suprised - I can easily get sick when reading in a driving car, and I have been feeling increasingly uneasy when doing kids-stuff with my daughter, like spinning around fast or seesawing. Then again I was like the only passenger not to get sea-sick on the entire ship during the rough sea on our ferry-trip to Iceland. So maybe Rift sickness is more similar to sea-sickness than motion-sickness?

We'll see if I continue to be so lucky once I get my kit and spend more time "jacked in"...
LNQ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by LNQ »

All three of the motion sickness examples you gave have different triggers:
- Spinning in circles is very different from other motion sickness. You should get disoriented from it no matter who you are.
- "Reading in a car" sickness is related to mixed visual stimuli in peripheral vision (scenery from the window) & center of your focus (book you're reading)
- Seasickness (and VR sickness) comes from visual stimuli not matching what your inner ear (balance, feeling of motion) experiences

Some people are more resistant to "reading in car" type sickness. If you try reading in a car so that you cannot see outside at all, you shouldn't get sick at all, unless your driver is being reckless. It would be similar to reading on an airplane.

The Rift has shown that some people are innately much more resistant to seasickness / VR sickness, even without prior exposure. Anxious to see where I land on that scale.
laast
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by laast »

Thodder7 wrote: I dont have a 360 controller, so the "First Law" space flight sim, doesn't seem to work right.
Maybe there's a link between the 360 controller (especially the right stick use) and the motion sickness? I've heard many people who modify camera view with controller and used to get sick... :shock:
Last edited by laast on Fri May 03, 2013 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laserschwert
Cross Eyed!

Post by Laserschwert »

It's a conspiracy!

We all know Microsoft has its own VR prototype in the pipeline. They want to make us all sick of the Rift!
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

LNQ wrote:All three of the motion sickness examples you gave have different triggers:
- Spinning in circles is very different from other motion sickness. You should get disoriented from it no matter who you are.
- "Reading in a car" sickness is related to mixed visual stimuli in peripheral vision (scenery from the window) & center of your focus (book you're reading)
- Seasickness (and VR sickness) comes from visual stimuli not matching what your inner ear (balance, feeling of motion) experiences

Some people are more resistant to "reading in car" type sickness. If you try reading in a car so that you cannot see outside at all, you shouldn't get sick at all, unless your driver is being reckless. It would be similar to reading on an airplane.

The Rift has shown that some people are innately much more resistant to seasickness / VR sickness, even without prior exposure. Anxious to see where I land on that scale.

If someone wanted a research idea for a University I think it would be valuable to test people using the Rift in different, controlled virtual situations to see if we can define exactly what it is that make most people sick.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

So I was able to try a Rift last night (I'll post more stuff soon), but I'm cautiously optimistic I'm one of the freaks that Valve are jealous of; I spent a good long while using the Rift and didn't feel any ill-effects whatsoever. If I'm part of the Iron Stomach clan I'm going to be fricking ecstatic.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

TheHolyChicken wrote:So I was able to try a Rift last night (I'll post more stuff soon), but I'm cautiously optimistic I'm one of the freaks that Valve are jealous of; I spent a good long while using the Rift and didn't feel any ill-effects whatsoever. If I'm part of the Iron Stomach clan I'm going to be fricking ecstatic.
Most of my friends have felt a little strange within 10-15 mins. If you played for a few hours, my guess is your good. I find there are a few demos out there, that make me feel a little weird. Not stomach sick, but I can tell my brain is trying to fix to many things, and it is uncomfortable... so I just stop. I think that is key. Certain ways you move, feel better then others. I found it didn't take me long to naturally pick up what my brain found pleasent and what it didn't. Just like any game/ gadget, if your someone who picks things up fast and naturally, I assume the Rift would be the same!

Also going to check out "DS3tool" so thanks for that info. I don't have the money to dish out for a 360 controller, so if I can make the PS3 one work, that would be ideal... and I really want to try more of First Law!

I'm really liking the UDK game! or opening up maps in the editor, and loading bots through the console command. That is an amazing experience!

Also reccomend Proton Pulse. Although its simple, its visually pleasing, and the music tops it off!
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

Dude! you're a total natural! Nice Hudra skills tossing poop, and you did some sweet boxing at the end! *high five!* good times. I was hoping you'd start dribbling the basketball and pass it in between your legs!

I ordered my Rift mid january, I'm expecting to receive it around the first week of June, the wait has been killing me! I've literally spent every night since mid January reading all things and everything about the Rift. I don't get motion sick at all, and hope to be a natural in VR like you!

Cheers dude, post more videos of your experiences and don't be afraid to commentate and express your opinions, i'd LOVE to hear them!
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

We may need a poll. Seems like we have quite a few with little or no motion sickness after a few sessions.

But of course the other side would be less likely to chime in on this discussion. A poll would likely be more efficient
littleme02
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by littleme02 »

I also received my Rift today...
And i have also not experienced any motion sickness at all from using it over multiple hours, and i tried to get myself sick with the heli demo and playing the scout in tf2 and other stuff...

But a couple of things made me uncomfortable like mirrors edge and half life 2 due to way of FOV, I don't seem to notice if it is off with about +-4 degrees in Tuscany. but i can't get HL2 higher than 90, and that makes me uncomfortable
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

littleme02 wrote:I also received my Rift today...
And i have also not experienced any motion sickness at all from using it over multiple hours, and i tried to get myself sick with the heli demo and playing the scout in tf2 and other stuff...

But a couple of things made me uncomfortable like mirrors edge and half life 2 due to way of FOV, I don't seem to notice if it is off with about +-4 degrees in Tuscany. but i can't get HL2 higher than 90, and that makes me uncomfortable
HL2 and (most) other source engine games: you need to input sv_cheats 1 first, before changing the fov_desired, because changing the FOV is considered a cheat.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Same here; no motion sickness, but I do get a slight headache from the Tuscany demo. I think from the motion blur when rotating your head. It feels the same as when I saw the Hobbit; every sweeping pan shot had this awful motion blur, but nobody else in my family noticed it.
JamesMccrae
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JamesMccrae »

I was able to borrow a Rift for a week. The first time I think I felt a bit odd, I took a break and had some food.

By the end of the first day, I played for hours at a time, even had a few beers, it was awesome. I was afraid because Oculus reps even said "don't drink and Rift" but my experiences have been purely positive that way ;)

As a further study I had a friend who very occasionally smokes pot and did it and had some beers right before his first Rift experience. He wanted more TF2 before the night was up :)

Now my girlfriend on the other hand - crazy - "I sweat so much that the uh, the lenses fog up, just very nauseous." "That's it babe, that's your quote?" "Dizzy, I dunno"

(not a gamer)

She sucks :D

Return to “Oculus VR”