First Law (greatest thing yet!)

boone188
Cross Eyed!

First Law (greatest thing yet!)

Post by boone188 »

OK people if you haven't tried First Law yet, do it. Seriously, do it.

http://rjevans.net/firstlaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX1QvGQ_iwU
LordJuanlo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: First Law (greatest thing yet!)

Post by LordJuanlo »

Oh God! This looks so awesome... can't wait to get home and try it! Thanks for the link!
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
mickman

Post by mickman »

Nice work... will be really cool with hands and arms on the joystick....

I notice a lot of games coming to the Rift lacking arms & especially hands...

I.K arms are not easy to create, but there's a great video tutorial for Unity that goes in depth into Inverse Kinematics for hands , elbows, shoulders... It can be found

Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxII-ZlW ... 4&index=11

I don;t want to de-rail this thread.. so back to the space sim...
Really nice effects.. Was this created in Unity ? and if so is that the Space Enviro asset ?
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

mickman wrote:Nice work... will be really cool with hands and arms on the joystick....

I notice a lot of games coming to the Rift lacking arms & especially hands...

I.K arms are not easy to create, but there's a great video tutorial for Unity that goes in depth into Inverse Kinematics for hands , elbows, shoulders... It can be found

I don;t want to de-rail this thread.. so back to the space sim...
Really nice effects.. Was this created in Unity ? and if so is that the Space Enviro asset ?
This was created by ryanjevins. Not sure if he's on MTBS, but you could ask him on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... _my_space/
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

Haven't got my rift yet, but just watching that video I already love the way he has done the; looking left to see the controls in the menu.

It's the little things.
rje
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rje »

Hi all, I'm Ryan the developer making First Law.

Happy to answer any other questions, but wanted to chime in and say that a player body is absolutely on the todo list, just haven't had time yet and didn't want to hold up the initial test build for it.

If you give the build a try I'd love some feedback!
whelanweb
Cross Eyed!

Post by whelanweb »

Great Demo

Needs a Trance soundtrack. Think Wipeout 2097 BG Music

Add some stomping beats and your onto a winner. :D
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

I'd prefer a classical score, like the Star Wars soundtrack :lol:

This is the game I dreamed of when I was a teenager and played X-Wing every day.
rje
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rje »

I haven't really thought about music much yet -- my goal in the short term is to work with the person who's making all of the sound effects to get the ambient and combat sounds as good as they can be since they make a huge difference in terms of immersion.

I have to imagine a good classical score would be insanely expensive, though. :)
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

You could add the option to play MP3 files. You could define different game situations (flying with no enemies, enemy spotted, combat, health critical...) and allow us to choose different MP3 files for each situation. These MP3 files would fade out and in when changing the game situation. X-Wing game did something similar with MIDI files.
Guygasm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Guygasm »

rje,

You might try and touch base with user "neverman". I believe he has offered help with scores on other projects here. Couldn't hurt.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Use sounddogs, plenty of awesome scores there cheap.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
nnamd
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by nnamd »

Make a Death Star and a trench to fly down to blow up. That would be awsome :lol:

Only thing I can see from the video is maybe more Eye candy in the cockpit. All those screens need to look like something is running on them. Don't really need to be able to read them just something going on like a Linux terminal session going on.
Last edited by nnamd on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoTaToR »

Wonderful Ship, Amazing galaxy! :shock:

Really Immersive - I THINK WAS ACTUALLY IN SPACE !! 0_o

I like the "huge" and detailed cockpit very much!
I look left/right - the joystick - my legs are missing!. Try to stand up to check what is behind the chair.... but did not work. :o

* I have a Logitech F710 and the standard-keys dont work (need to asign new)
* the enemys are toooo good/god. I didnt have a chance. Stoped the game because fighting without a chance is not fun. :(
--
* the ship could feel a little "heavier" in space - it change direction to fast in my opinion.
3Dmon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3Dmon »

This is a very cool demo in the Rift. I agree it needs softer physics for the ship control to better sell it's experience. I also noticed after awhile the cockpit
model started to shake subtly. It also had some camera drift issues. Otherwise great work in progress.
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

whelanweb wrote:Great Demo

Needs a Trance soundtrack. Think Wipeout 2097 BG Music

Add some stomping beats and your onto a winner. :D
Even better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMIrXn9ziqg
Runbmp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Runbmp »

Thanks for sharing your build Ryan! As soon I get my rift i'll give this a spin! Man this wait is painful...
rje
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rje »

Thanks for all the feedback and music suggestions! :)

As for waiting, hopefully I'll help make it worth the wait by adding more cool stuff between now and when you get your kit.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Looks great! :shock:

Can't wait to try it out!

Hopefully you'll have time to change that laser sound before I receive my Rift, though. ;)
rje
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rje »

haha, man everyone's a critic. :lol:

I promise it's on our todo list. Right now I'm figuring out the goals for may in terms of game content. This build is a fun demo but I want the next build to have more game elements. I can probably get some sound updates as well. :)
drifter

Post by drifter »

rje wrote:I have to imagine a good classical score would be insanely expensive, though. :)
Insanely expensive only if you record with a real orchestra. And still you can find reasonable prices (even for indie budgets) in Eastern Europe.
mickman wrote:I notice a lot of games coming to the Rift lacking arms & especially hands...
I guess most people still focusing on gameplay and Rift integration. Myself working with the Hydra, a decent hands & arms model will be absolutely needed, but it's not at the top of the list.
mickman wrote:I.K arms are not easy to create, but there's a great video tutorial for Unity that goes in depth into Inverse Kinematics for hands , elbows, shoulders... It can be found

Thanks for the link !
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

This demo was awesome. Great stereo 3D effect in the cockpit.
rje
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rje »

Thanks! I'm looking forward to making it more of a game instead of a demo. :)
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

rje wrote:Thanks! I'm looking forward to making it more of a game instead of a demo. :)
It would be really cool being able to fly down to a planet and make a run starfox style!
zdam
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zdam »

This is great - the best experience I have had with my 2 day-old rift!

Something as 'simple' as your controller button layout being displayed to the left of the start menu - is really innovative.

Did you build the cockpit yourself or is it a prefab you obtained from somewhere.

Great job :)

Cheers, Adam.
rje
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rje »

boone188 wrote:It would be really cool being able to fly down to a planet and make a run starfox style!
Oh man that would be super cool - lots of new systems to support though. I think initially I'm going to focus on getting some simple missions in like the old Tie Fighter and X-Wing games.
zdam wrote:Did you build the cockpit yourself or is it a prefab you obtained from somewhere.
Thanks Adam! The ship and the cockpit are custom made - I had a friend graciously offer to help make the art so I could focus on design and development. However the background elements and asteroids are part of a kit that I purchased on the unity asset store.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Flying under an asteroid and then looking up as it slowly crawls by is very immersive.
rje
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rje »

Pingles wrote:Flying under an asteroid and then looking up as it slowly crawls by is very immersive.
I love doing this! Things that give a sense of scale are super-immersive.
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

rje wrote:
Pingles wrote:Flying under an asteroid and then looking up as it slowly crawls by is very immersive.
I love doing this! Things that give a sense of scale are super-immersive.
YES! This was the real "wow" moment. More so than anything I've tried in the rift. Imagine a star cruiser passing overhead!
Last edited by boone188 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xerion

Post by Xerion »

Have to agree, this demo is awesome :D
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
hughJ
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by hughJ »

Having a glass canopy that reacts to external debris would probably do well for immersion. Am thinking of small objects banging off the glass, with appropriate dull/attenuated sounds through the glass, abrasions, cracks, etc. The lasers and other sound effects should likewise have two components for sound, one would be heavily attenuated sound that's coming directly from the source, and the other being very low frequency through the hull of the ship. The low frequency stuff would probably work wonders for immersion. Makes me think that even with headphones, it might be worth while having an external sub-woofer in order to get those thumps you can feel in your chest.
rhinosix
Cross Eyed!

Post by rhinosix »

I love the colour scheme in this game. Can't wait to have a chance to try it out.
zella
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zella »

Did you borrow your start/controller screen idea from antichamber by any chance? its very cool, nice way of doing things
rje
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rje »

I haven't had a chance to play antichamber yet, so I haven't seen how they do things. Is it similar?

I had three main goals as I tried to come up with the basic UI stuff:
1. Text that is readable.
2. Everything should be 'in space' so the player can look around freely. I think free look is one of the strongest positive experiences on the rift in the early stage and I didn't want to reduce that by having text that moved with your head (even though it would have been easier to lay out).
3. No abrupt jump cuts or transitions. I find them jarring and that they break the sense of immersion. So I opted to use a fade to white system between all the major transitions, which I'm pretty happy with.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

Is there a way to get mouse control in it?

If i try map it to the hydra then as soon as i press a stick the thing starts rolling all over the place and wont stop.

If i use my t-fllight hotas x, ship control works but it wont let me assign the trigger or any of the buttons bar one of them to anything o.O
rje
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rje »

So far I've only tested with a 360 controller, I don't have many other things to try first hand.

I know that there are likely problems with the Hydra, since I believe full integration on my side would require working with their library which I haven't had the opportunity to do. Someone on the oculusvr forums said he made a hydra MCE (?) for it which seemed to help him, I can get more details if that's something you're interested in knowing about.

No idea why the thrustmaster isn't working - did you remap all the controls in the input manager? The only thing I can think of is that since a lot of the controls have duplicate entries (which I hate, it's a side effect of how unity sets up input), maybe you have some controls that are reusing the same axis? I'd suggest going through the inputs one at a time and making sure that they're all set up to use unique axes.
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

I already posted my feedback on the Oculus Forum (For the others: I said I'd prefer to control the acceleration rather than the speed of turning etc. It should be like you are controlling the thrusters of the ship so the ship keeps moving when you accelerated around or along an axis until you counter-accelerate. Like a car which does not stop instantly if you don't accelerate anymore.)
rje wrote:Someone on the oculusvr forums said he made a hydra MCE (?) for it which seemed to help him, I can get more details if that's something you're interested in knowing about.
There is a driver for the Hydra called Motion Creator 2 it allows you to play games with the Hydra, that are not designed for this controller. It uses simple Button Mapping (like joy2key but specially for the hydra), including gestures etc. The MCE File is a config file you can create for specific games
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
Endothermic

Post by Endothermic »

rje wrote: I'd suggest going through the inputs one at a time and making sure that they're all set up to use unique axes.
Thats just it though I can't with the joystick. I can click the hor and very and move the stick to get that mapped, click in roll and map that to twisting the stick but clicking on laser/missle/spawn/target etc and pressing the trigger or top stick button or any other joystick button and nothing happens, the only other thing i can map to are the 2 rudder control things on the throttle.

Even if I map everything to keys on the keyboard and try it, it just doesn't detect anything when I press a button on the joystick only the 3 rotational axis, the hat and that left right rudder thing on the throttle will get mapped o.O

What would be good is if since there isn't positional tracking yet, you could put in some control to move yourself with the keyboard a little so you can actually look behind the seat :D
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

Yeah...This needs a joystick or hydra support...
Controlling it with one of the worst gaming controllers in history ...uggg...
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

Yeah...This needs a joystick or hydra support...
Controlling it with one of the worst gaming controllers in history ...uggg...
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/

Return to “Oculus VR”