FPV (remote control planes) and the Oculus Rift

emrlabs
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: FPV (remote control planes) and the Oculus Rift

Post by emrlabs »

Right, the T3D device essentially takes in either 1 or 2 analog video inputs and outputs to the rift. You can use all your own gear for transmitting. You can even use two of your own cameras to make a 3D setup. It also supports 3D cameras that have a 3D output. We'll start posting more details because there seems to still be a lot of questions. I think a connection diagram would be great.
zacherynuk
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by zacherynuk »

emrlabs wrote:Right, the T3D device essentially takes in either 1 or 2 analog video inputs and outputs to the rift. You can use all your own gear for transmitting. You can even use two of your own cameras to make a 3D setup. It also supports 3D cameras that have a 3D output. We'll start posting more details because there seems to still be a lot of questions. I think a connection diagram would be great.
Perfect :)

Looks like your dual cam setup would only require a single tranny channel though - correct ? I have had a battle getting 2 X (for example fat shark) working - I'd want to keep visual on same frequency to minimise latency offsets (I tried 2.4 and 5 for visual and the 5 always seems a few ms behind - though the good thing was they lost signals for different reasons so I always had a bead ;) ) - I fly with older 35 mhz control equipment to let me mess about with the digital side for AV transmission...

Previously I have melded 2 X 2.4ghz cams via my laptop prior to going to DIY rift and quality was outstanding but latency was...something you had to be aware of to say the least :) Also a PITA to take out and hook up in the field.

I'm excited :) I may well go out and buy some super quick servos right now cos the mini ones I use are a little lacking also for headtracking ;)
emrlabs
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by emrlabs »

Right, if you use a 3D-Cam FPV then you only need one channel. The video I posted is a modified 3D-Cam to get to video outputs (its what I had laying around and conveniently sets the proper alignment). I used a 1.3GHz and 900MHz to transmit two streams to the ground. And you're right, video dropouts happen a positions that are a function of the wavelength. This means two frequencies often dropout at different times. The two feed system gives you the best overall resolution.

Once we start making the T3D we may turn our attention to making a more affordable 3D-Cam (the current one is too expensive) and make it with 3 outputs, left, right, and field sequential. This would give users the option to use one transmitter then add another down the road to get the Oculus full resolution.
titou
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by titou »

I found this!

http://www.transporter3d.com/index.php?pageid=3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u74rf4ztJTI
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

Lol. Seriously?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

titou wrote:I found this! ...
You reposted this video five posts after the camera creators posted it (see previous page).

However, the link and photo are new content in this thread so they are a welcome addition.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

So, how does the video look on the Rift? Or more importantly: how does it feel?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

geekmaster wrote:Rift + FPV on hackaday today:
http://hackaday.com/2013/07/16/fpv-dron ... ulus-rift/
Ahh I see grix in the comments. Tell you what - 130ms - I couldn't fly with that.

At least with my DIY rift I don't need the overhead of the distortion filter.

I hope that the transporter3D thingy does this in hardware... at source :) I also hope it uses FPGA or at least parametarised ASIC so we can change it for future rifts ...

Edit: actually you know after watching the Grix demo latency video on you tube... it may be ok... certainly worth a go - my issue is I use my buddy port for my Cyborg joystick, it's been a very long time since i have flown FPV with the trannie and I'm a bit worried about trashing *another* quad...
emrlabs
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by emrlabs »

Yes the transporter3d is FPGA based so it is completely flexible, nil latency, and doesn't rely on wifi.
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

Hey all, for those of you following this thread, I've had the chance to play with mine - and it rocks!

http://www.wastedspace.co.uk/cms/2014/0 ... pressions/

Very slim on the data - but I am working on that - been trying to find a matching set of cameras, but in the end folded and have brought a new pair which should be with me late next week - will do a full stereo review then - along with a flight review if the weather ever clears!!

Cheers

Zach
mickman

Post by mickman »

Have you thought about using http://www.ovrvision.com as the camera setup.. it was built especially for the Oculus Rift in mind.

I have an OVRvision system & its brilliant ! stereo cameras that clip to the Rift.. you can easily mount it to your RC vehicle plane etc...

Interface Type, USB 2.0
* Fish-eye lens corresponding to the Oculus Rift lens
* Image resolution, 1280 x 480 pixels (640 x 480)
* 60fps fast speed, low-latency data transfer
* Lightweight design of the total weight of 55g or less
* Only for the Oculus Rift DevKit 1
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

That looks interesting!

Unsure how easily you could convert the cameras to be used with FPV though, would need to hack them a lot - for same price you can get 2 cameras and 2 multi channel 5ghz transmitters and the receivers....
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

A new 3D FPV offering from HobbyKing:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ggles.html

Features:
• 3D !!!
• Complete plug and play kit
• 2D diversity mode
• DVR built in with playback
• Built-in 32CH 5.8G Diversity that is compatible with most FPV 5.8G transmitters on the market (Fatshark,DJI,Walkra,Boscam etc)
• Built-in self-calibrating head tracking (gyro, inertial and compass)
• Built in Dual 854X480(WVGA) Monitors, 1,229,760 color sub-pixels
• Built-in external camera for surrounding view (640X480)
• AV in/ AV out/ Earphone socket (with volume control)
• Adjustable Interpupillary and Diopter for your eyes
• Adjustable brightness and contrast

The FoV is only 30 degrees though, but preorder price of $529USD seems quite reasonable for all you get.

Return to “Oculus VR”