It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:12 am



 [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Can someone with a rift test my roller coaster? now w/ sound 
Author Message
One Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:29 pm
Posts: 30
"Mom Tries Oculus Rift Roller coaster"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEds92tY9QQ

= )


Mon May 06, 2013 6:28 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:44 am
Posts: 7
Please make more! this demo was amazing. maybe a bigger track with big loops and fire and SFX would be mind blowing!


Wed May 08, 2013 11:05 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:30 pm
Posts: 42
While waiting for my rift to transition from processing to shipped, had a fun idea for an experiment with this demo that I think I might try with a partner. Anyone else, like me, have an inversion table? Might be silly fun to have someone monitor your coaster trip on the computer screen while matching your drops and climbs with pushed swivels on the table for an added "gravity effect." Image

Oculus Rift is going to turn us all into shut-in weirdos.


Wed May 08, 2013 3:41 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:08 am
Posts: 5
I hope Oculus VR will use this demo at E3.


Thu May 09, 2013 6:04 am
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:34 am
Posts: 733
Location: Brighton, UK
LazloTheGreat wrote:
Anyone else, like me, have an inversion table?

You're into some kinky stuff, Lazlo :P

Another video I found on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXp1tsA17Bw

_________________
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.


Thu May 09, 2013 6:37 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:30 pm
Posts: 42
TheHolyChicken wrote:
LazloTheGreat wrote:
Anyone else, like me, have an inversion table?

You're into some kinky stuff, Lazlo :P


:twisted: :lol:


Thu May 09, 2013 8:30 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:18 am
Posts: 6
Boone have you tried adding positional tracking with the hydra? It would make it so much more awesome if you could lean over and look down.


Thu May 09, 2013 8:53 am
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:46 am
Posts: 223
Watching a few more videos, I really think I needs the camera to follow the cart - so when it goes round corners the camera tilts too. Quite a few people are just looking straight ahead as it goes done the main drop and around the banked corners, wheras e in a real coaster your head would follow the car


Fri May 10, 2013 1:08 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:37 pm
Posts: 3
mrklaw wrote:
Watching a few more videos, I really think I needs the camera to follow the cart - so when it goes round corners the camera tilts too. Quite a few people are just looking straight ahead as it goes done the main drop and around the banked corners, wheras e in a real coaster your head would follow the car


Agreed. It feels like the cart is rotating around your body, which is very unnatural. The same goes for pitch, your view should tilt forward when going downhill and vice-versa. Basically just apply the head orientation to the entire cart orientation.


Fri May 10, 2013 3:47 pm
Cross Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 123
Location: Indiana
I demoed the Rift at my work again. This time I had new content. I work an Audio Video company doing IT, web, etc. I showed the RiftCoaster to one employee and he said this would be nice with a D-Box chair and he was right D-Box chair would be a nice haptic feedback device to be married with the Rift.l I want to send email.

_________________
Check out this forum for a beta driver to get existing games working with the Rift.
Official Vireio Perception Driver Forum http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=141
Support these games on Steam Greenlight them http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92979040
Rig Specs - MS Windows Ultimate, i5 3470, 16 GB RAM, 2x AMD 1GB 5850 HD crossfired, SATA2 HD


Fri May 10, 2013 9:32 pm
Two Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:58 am
Posts: 70
I need to personally thank you for creating this. You have provided me and my friends and coworkers a lot of entertainment.

Seriously fun stuff.


Fri May 10, 2013 11:49 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 9:54 am
Posts: 20
This is probably one of the best Rift demo's around. Loved it. I would really like to see other roller coaster concepts as well as this one expanded on.

Enjoyed it so much, thanks for taking the effort to make it.


Sat May 18, 2013 8:54 am
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:36 pm
Posts: 184
Location: Seattle, WA
Entroper wrote:
mrklaw wrote:
Watching a few more videos, I really think I needs the camera to follow the cart - so when it goes round corners the camera tilts too. Quite a few people are just looking straight ahead as it goes done the main drop and around the banked corners, wheras e in a real coaster your head would follow the car


Agreed. It feels like the cart is rotating around your body, which is very unnatural. The same goes for pitch, your view should tilt forward when going downhill and vice-versa. Basically just apply the head orientation to the entire cart orientation.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to change that right now. As soon as UDK's Rift integration gets fixed, this will work.


Sat May 18, 2013 2:10 pm
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:36 pm
Posts: 184
Location: Seattle, WA
anthonyp461 wrote:
This is probably one of the best Rift demo's around. Loved it. I would really like to see other roller coaster concepts as well as this one expanded on.

Enjoyed it so much, thanks for taking the effort to make it.

ido wrote:
I need to personally thank you for creating this. You have provided me and my friends and coworkers a lot of entertainment.

Seriously fun stuff.

Thanks! There is more to come.


Sat May 18, 2013 2:11 pm
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:46 am
Posts: 223
boone188 wrote:
Entroper wrote:
mrklaw wrote:
Watching a few more videos, I really think I needs the camera to follow the cart - so when it goes round corners the camera tilts too. Quite a few people are just looking straight ahead as it goes done the main drop and around the banked corners, wheras e in a real coaster your head would follow the car


Agreed. It feels like the cart is rotating around your body, which is very unnatural. The same goes for pitch, your view should tilt forward when going downhill and vice-versa. Basically just apply the head orientation to the entire cart orientation.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to change that right now. As soon as UDK's Rift integration gets fixed, this will work.


Wow, can't believe it isn't supported in UDK. I can understand their concerns about 'good' HMD tracking, but those restrictions are unnecessary


Good they are finally doing it though.


Sat May 18, 2013 2:22 pm
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 6:49 am
Posts: 117
The cart needs to be like usual roller coaster rides, fixed view, no 180 turn. But, this is a demo. All sins are forgiven, to a point.


Sat May 18, 2013 3:27 pm
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:51 am
Posts: 140
I may be missing somethinghere but is there any way of enabling the 3d effect without having a rift connected? I am currently using a diy hmd using an android device as the screen and want to stream this demo using splashtop.

It seems the stereo commands are not enabled in udk without therift connected? Is there a hacked monitor driver around to make it think i have a rift?

I tried uing the tridef drivers to do the 3d effect but they only work in fullscreen and splashtop crashes out saying fullscreen not supported.

Any ideas? Really want to see what this looks like :-)

Matt


Sun May 19, 2013 2:07 am
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 6:46 am
Posts: 314
Just saw this :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaYC-_a8qqQ

I saw a few videos of people trying to do the roller coaster demo while standing still, and no one succeeded.
I see a contest coming, who will be the first to experience the whole demo without sitting?
Of course, you have to try this only in a safe space (not in the kitchen near the table or some knives :D ) and with the presence of anothr guy :o


Sun May 19, 2013 4:17 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 9:54 am
Posts: 20
boone188 wrote:
anthonyp461 wrote:
This is probably one of the best Rift demo's around. Loved it. I would really like to see other roller coaster concepts as well as this one expanded on.

Enjoyed it so much, thanks for taking the effort to make it.

ido wrote:
I need to personally thank you for creating this. You have provided me and my friends and coworkers a lot of entertainment.

Seriously fun stuff.

Thanks! There is more to come.


Can't wait, if you need anything testing please just let me know.


Sun May 19, 2013 4:48 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 9:54 am
Posts: 20
I have to say as well after riding this coaster about a hundred times now, it would be great if we could make the drop higher? The tower on the right just before the existing drop now would be amazing. You could even twirl the track round the tower as you are going up.

i'd definatley like to see a much higher, scarier drop. :)


Sun May 19, 2013 2:00 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:52 pm
Posts: 12
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a problem I've been having. I got the email yesterday that my Rift will be shipping soon, so I started up the RiftCoaster again to see if it works. It has worked just fine in the past, but now no sound is playing at all. The windows volume mixer shows that UDK isn't trying to play any sounds. I've tried completely deleting all of UDK's files and reinstalling the RiftCoaster fresh, and I've tried restarting my computer, but neither of those things have helped.

Edit: Managed to fix it by redownloading the installer.


Tue May 21, 2013 9:16 am
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:36 pm
Posts: 184
Location: Seattle, WA
anthonyp461 wrote:
I have to say as well after riding this coaster about a hundred times now, it would be great if we could make the drop higher? The tower on the right just before the existing drop now would be amazing. You could even twirl the track round the tower as you are going up.

i'd definatley like to see a much higher, scarier drop. :)

Chances are, it would be a new coaster altogether.


Tue May 21, 2013 9:13 pm
Sharp Eyed Eagle!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:28 am
Posts: 370
Location: Denmark
boone188 wrote:
Chances are, it would be a new coaster altogether.


Are you working on a new coaster?!?

OMG!

Can't wait!

_________________
www.AwesomeBlade.com


Wed May 22, 2013 1:47 am
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:34 am
Posts: 733
Location: Brighton, UK
Parallaxis wrote:
boone188 wrote:
Chances are, it would be a new coaster altogether.


Are you working on a new coaster?!?

OMG!

Can't wait!

Well you're probably going to have to, because that's not what he said. The non-abbreviated sentence would read something like:
"Chances are [if I decide to do more work on this project], it would be a new coaster altogether".

_________________
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.


Wed May 22, 2013 2:00 am
Certif-Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:53 pm
Posts: 541
boone188 wrote:
anthonyp461 wrote:
This is probably one of the best Rift demo's around. Loved it. I would really like to see other roller coaster concepts as well as this one expanded on.

Enjoyed it so much, thanks for taking the effort to make it.

ido wrote:
I need to personally thank you for creating this. You have provided me and my friends and coworkers a lot of entertainment.

Seriously fun stuff.

Thanks! There is more to come.


Awesome!!

_________________
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!


Wed May 22, 2013 2:07 am
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 5:20 am
Posts: 491
Location: BB, Slovakia
Hi Boone,

Tried this today (sans Rift) and its really cool, good work man. Even with a HMZ-T1 and no head tracking you still get a good sense of vertigo at the top. Quick question is there any chance you could release a version that has the YEI Space Sensor sensor support built in. They have just updated their UDK libraries and it is pretty easy to get working. Would certainly help me fill those long nights waiting for my Rift to arrive ;)


Wed May 22, 2013 8:28 am
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:46 am
Posts: 223
might be me being stupid, but how do you quit? Had to ctrl-alt-del and end the task, tried esc, alt-f4, x, ctrl-x...


Fri May 24, 2013 9:57 am
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 5:20 am
Posts: 491
Location: BB, Slovakia
mrklaw wrote:
might be me being stupid, but how do you quit? Had to ctrl-alt-del and end the task, tried esc, alt-f4, x, ctrl-x...

I usually just bring the console up (tab key) and type in "Exit" but maybe there is a hotkey for this that I dont know


Fri May 24, 2013 10:11 am
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:47 pm
Posts: 1497
@ baggyg:
Quote:
Quick question is there any chance you could release a version that has the YEI Space Sensor sensor support built in.


It would actually be MUCH better if he released a version that allowed VRPN inputs. VRPN is extremely easy to integrate into an application (I doubt it would be much/any easier to get it going using their direct support in UDK), and then he only has to do it once, and it will support a huge variety of sensors.

This is probably something that most demo coders here should be thinking about as well at some point...


Fri May 24, 2013 9:39 pm
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 9:54 am
Posts: 20
WiredEarp wrote:
@ baggyg:
Quote:
Quick question is there any chance you could release a version that has the YEI Space Sensor sensor support built in.


It would actually be MUCH better if he released a version that allowed VRPN inputs. VRPN is extremely easy to integrate into an application (I doubt it would be much/any easier to get it going using their direct support in UDK), and then he only has to do it once, and it will support a huge variety of sensors.

This is probably something that most demo coders here should be thinking about as well at some point...


I don't think we can expect anything anytime soon. He's gone pretty silent which is a shame.


Sat May 25, 2013 3:09 am
Vireio Perception Developer
Vireio Perception Developer
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 5:20 am
Posts: 491
Location: BB, Slovakia
Quote:
It would actually be MUCH better if he released a version that allowed VRPN inputs. VRPN is extremely easy to integrate into an application (I doubt it would be much/any easier to get it going using their direct support in UDK), and then he only has to do it once, and it will support a huge variety of sensors.

This is probably something that most demo coders here should be thinking about as well at some point...

Since I presume this is a tech demo (rather than a product for profit), it would be really great if the UDK development version could be released (rather than the redist) so that people could edit this and add on any mods they like.

Boone has done a brilliant job with this. Would just be nice if those interested could have a tinker with it.


Sat May 25, 2013 4:17 am
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 9:54 am
Posts: 20
baggyg wrote:
Quote:
It would actually be MUCH better if he released a version that allowed VRPN inputs. VRPN is extremely easy to integrate into an application (I doubt it would be much/any easier to get it going using their direct support in UDK), and then he only has to do it once, and it will support a huge variety of sensors.

This is probably something that most demo coders here should be thinking about as well at some point...

Since I presume this is a tech demo (rather than a product for profit), it would be really great if the UDK development version could be released (rather than the redist) so that people could edit this and add on any mods they like.

Boone has done a brilliant job with this. Would just be nice if those interested could have a tinker with it.


I did, I messaged him directly and asked for the map so that I could have a go at editing it. But he was not willing to hand it over as it's a work in progress. He did say the other day that any new roller coaster would be a new one altogether so hopefully he will share the old one with the Rift/UDK community.


Sat May 25, 2013 9:30 am
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:46 am
Posts: 223
No limits has stereo support and mouselook. Has anyone been looking at whether that can be patched ?


Sun May 26, 2013 2:20 am
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:45 pm
Posts: 135
mrklaw wrote:
No limits has stereo support and mouselook. Has anyone been looking at whether that can be patched ?


Someone from the MTBS Forum asked the creater of No limits a view month ago. He will NOT add Rift-Support! Cant find the thread...


Sun May 26, 2013 4:34 am
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 214
Location: Barcelona
Hi there just reposting some info from the Oculus Dev forum in case someone is interested:
Improve perceived resolution on current demos by downscaling 1080p?


If you have a decent rig that can handle it, try forcing the RiftCoaster demo to 1080p + MSAA:

\UDKGame\Config\UDKSystemSettings.ini
MaxAnisotropy=16
MaxMultiSamples=8
bAllowD3D9MSAA=True
ResX=1920
ResY=1080

\UDKGame\Config\UDKEngine.ini
CrosshairOffset=1920

I believe the improvement is massive, specially over the standard settings with 1280x720(??) and no AA.


Also, does anyone know how to improve UDK's LOD/mipmap distance settings? I think this demo is pretty bad in that respect (especially after the jump where you can see the geometry suddenty appear and the textures quickly changing). I have tried messing with the MinLODSize and LODBias vars in UDKSystemSettings.ini with not much luck.

Thanks!


Sun May 26, 2013 3:36 pm
Two Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 5:20 pm
Posts: 84
Try to get this working. I downloaded and installed it, but when I run it I don't have 3D, warping, or head tracking. It looks like it's formatted for a normal monitor.

Do I need to have anything additional installed, or somehow configure it? At the moment I don't have the Oculus SDK or UDK installed.


Wed May 29, 2013 9:10 am
Certif-Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:30 pm
Posts: 548
Location: Bavaria, Germany
benz145 wrote:
Try to get this working. I downloaded and installed it, but when I run it I don't have 3D, warping, or head tracking. It looks like it's formatted for a normal monitor.

Do I need to have anything additional installed, or somehow configure it? At the moment I don't have the Oculus SDK or UDK installed.


Do you have the Rift connected to your computer?
It only displays correctly if a Rift is connected to your computer.

_________________
Image

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/


Wed May 29, 2013 9:44 am
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:36 pm
Posts: 741
Location: QC, Canada
PatimPatam wrote:
Hi there just reposting some info from the Oculus Dev forum in case someone is interested:
Improve perceived resolution on current demos by downscaling 1080p?


If you have a decent rig that can handle it, try forcing the RiftCoaster demo to 1080p + MSAA:

\UDKGame\Config\UDKSystemSettings.ini
MaxAnisotropy=16
MaxMultiSamples=8
bAllowD3D9MSAA=True
ResX=1920
ResY=1080

\UDKGame\Config\UDKEngine.ini
CrosshairOffset=1920

I believe the improvement is massive, specially over the standard settings with 1280x720(??) and no AA.


Also, does anyone know how to improve UDK's LOD/mipmap distance settings? I think this demo is pretty bad in that respect (especially after the jump where you can see the geometry suddenty appear and the textures quickly changing). I have tried messing with the MinLODSize and LODBias vars in UDKSystemSettings.ini with not much luck.

Thanks!


Any other changes besides that? FOV, IPD, etc...?

Also, is there any way to reset the view?


Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:14 pm
Certif-Eyed!

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 645
I don't get it.
I tried it, and I wanted it to work, but i just found it boring. A roller coaster is not a visual experience. I don't understand what other people got out of this, it was completely bland for me.


Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:42 pm
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:36 pm
Posts: 184
Location: Seattle, WA
MrGreen wrote:
PatimPatam wrote:
Hi there just reposting some info from the Oculus Dev forum in case someone is interested:
Improve perceived resolution on current demos by downscaling 1080p?


If you have a decent rig that can handle it, try forcing the RiftCoaster demo to 1080p + MSAA:

\UDKGame\Config\UDKSystemSettings.ini
MaxAnisotropy=16
MaxMultiSamples=8
bAllowD3D9MSAA=True
ResX=1920
ResY=1080

\UDKGame\Config\UDKEngine.ini
CrosshairOffset=1920

I believe the improvement is massive, specially over the standard settings with 1280x720(??) and no AA.


Also, does anyone know how to improve UDK's LOD/mipmap distance settings? I think this demo is pretty bad in that respect (especially after the jump where you can see the geometry suddenty appear and the textures quickly changing). I have tried messing with the MinLODSize and LODBias vars in UDKSystemSettings.ini with not much luck.

Thanks!


Any other changes besides that? FOV, IPD, etc...?

Also, is there any way to reset the view?

No need to change the FOV. You can mess with the IPD though: https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... f=44&t=338

No way to reset the view.


Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:40 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
   [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware.