Minecrift Discussion Thread

StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Minecrift Discussion Thread

Post by StellaArtois »

cyris69 wrote:I'm having an issue with 1.6.4 vanilla with the b31 preview. Seems whenever I set the Rift as primary, load the game, it goes full screen on the Rift. However, the menu/GUI is at the bottom of the screen and only the top 1/4 of the GUI (basically where it says Minecraft) is visible. How can I fix this? I cant see anything to view VR options and and reset origin. Is there a hotkey I can use to do this?
Left-ctrl + return I think should reset the origin I believe.

All keys here
cyris69
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cyris69 »

StellaArtois wrote:
cyris69 wrote:I'm having an issue with 1.6.4 vanilla with the b31 preview. Seems whenever I set the Rift as primary, load the game, it goes full screen on the Rift. However, the menu/GUI is at the bottom of the screen and only the top 1/4 of the GUI (basically where it says Minecraft) is visible. How can I fix this? I cant see anything to view VR options and and reset origin. Is there a hotkey I can use to do this?

All keys here
Thanks a bunch Stella I will give this a try tomorrow :)
reexe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by reexe »

cyris69 wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:

All keys here
Thanks a bunch Stella I will give this a try tomorrow :)
That problem sounds more like what happens when u dont have tracking working at all, to fix that u will have to kill the Tasks "wscript.exe" and "OVRservice_x64.exe" from Task Manger, before u start the game.
Darktemp
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Darktemp »

StellaArtois wrote:Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of progress updates, things have been somewhat hectic around here!

I'm aiming to get a 1.7.10 windows preview release out not this Sunday, but next. It will support DK2. It will be buggy but I'll work to squash those bugs over the coming weeks...
Hi there, that's great news!

Hooray, today is the "next sunday", I hope you had time and you felt like it to try things with the DK2.
My DK2 also arrived, so I could&want to help test it to find the evil bugs :lol: .

Do you have a possibility that I could donate something to you? I'd like to (virtually) treat you to a pizza^^.
dEEPZoNE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dEEPZoNE »

Soooo.. John Carmack has offered to implement oculus rift support to minecraft ?!? :D
Thoughts ? A native support for the rift :D
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

dEEPZoNE wrote:Soooo.. John Carmack has offered to implement oculus rift support to minecraft ?!? :D
Thoughts ? A native support for the rift :D
Link?
Jademalo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Jademalo »

Mistify - https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/statu ... 3341596672

I'm of the opinion that if it was the Minecraft devs doing it themselves, the implementation wouldn't be better than what Stella has done, and the inability to talk easily to them about it and give feedback would end up with a worse product. Even if they took the Mod as a base, I have a feeling it won't get the love that it gets here.

But Carmack is a totally different ballgame.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

Jademalo wrote:Mistify - https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/statu ... 3341596672

I'm of the opinion that if it was the Minecraft devs doing it themselves, the implementation wouldn't be better than what Stella has done, and the inability to talk easily to them about it and give feedback would end up with a worse product. Even if they took the Mod as a base, I have a feeling it won't get the love that it gets here.

But Carmack is a totally different ballgame.
But if it was integrated officially, then you wouldn't have to worry about the mod being up to date with the latest versions, nor about its compatability with other mods.
cyris69
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cyris69 »

https://mobile.twitter.com/notch/status ... 9136910336
Notch: "And about now I'm officially over being upset about Facebook buying Oculus. I'm upset about there being a hole in my favorite sock instead."
cyris69
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cyris69 »

reexe wrote: That problem sounds more like what happens when u dont have tracking working at all, to fix that u will have to kill the Tasks "wscript.exe" and "OVRservice_x64.exe" from Task Manger, before u start the game.
And you are correct Sir :) now to somehow fix the GUI drifting. Seems rest origin is taking the opposite location in which you are looking. So if the GUI is behind my head or in front of my face when resetting it will move/keep it behind me. However, If I look behind my chair when the GUI is also behind me and reset it goes back in front of me. So it seems maybe a miscalculation or just a integer in the wrong part of code.

Can't wait for full DK2 support so we can lean in and out etc.
bertozzi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bertozzi »

I press F1 to hide/unhide the HUD. This also resets the position of the GUI. Not the final solution, but it makes stuff easier.
Tiedye
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tiedye »

Ah, I should be getting my oculus tomorrow, extremely excited. I know it's rather inconsiderate of me to ask but I'm really wondering when minecrift may be updated. Will it be here first? Or the release archive? Or maybe somewhere else? Where should I be watching?
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

Sounds like Mojang is gearing up to release 1.8 in the next few weeks. More update hassle for Minecrift, but at least the FPS is way better in 1.8, which should make for great VR integration.
cyris69
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cyris69 »

I believe Stella stated Minecrift for 1.8 would require a very large rewrite and be difficult so is sticking with 1.7.10 for now.
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

cyris69 wrote:I believe Stella stated Minecrift for 1.8 would require a very large rewrite and be difficult so is sticking with 1.7.10 for now.
Sadly, it was the same for 1.6 to 1.7..

I really hope Mojang starts focusing on the API stuff more, and making it easier for modders. :/ Also hoping maybe Notch takes John Carmack's offer to integrate the Rift into the official game.heh
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

NikoKun wrote:I really hope Mojang starts focusing on the API stuff more, and making it easier for modders. :/
That is exactly what they have been doing
NikoKun
Cross Eyed!

Post by NikoKun »

I tried the prerelease 2 version that someone on reddit compiled, but I couldn't get it working, it crashed whenever I tried loading or creating a map. :/

So anxious to try Minecraft in DK2! heh :3
jmane2009
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jmane2009 »

NikoKun wrote:I tried the prerelease 2 version that someone on reddit compiled, but I couldn't get it working, it crashed whenever I tried loading or creating a map. :/

So anxious to try Minecraft in DK2! heh :3
I got it working, no idea how lol. It's pretty awesome! There was some studdering here at there, and what looked like screen tearing (even though I was at a steady 75 FPS). People complain about the cross-eyed thing but no problems here.
cyris69
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cyris69 »

There is a second preview version of crift besides the b31 a few pages back? Can I get a link please?
foley2k2
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by foley2k2 »

I have a DK2, tried it using MetaCraft VR (release minecrift-1.6.4-b12 -nohydra) and it looked great.

The only problem I had was paralysis - can't move from the neck up.
I'm running Firmware 2.11, SDK 0.4.1.

Is there anything I can do to help with head tracking?
I think it may be related to the SDK version - I've had problems with a few other demos.

I'm decent with C#, familiar with Java, and not too green on C++.
dresdenreader
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dresdenreader »

foley2k2 wrote:I have a DK2, tried it using MetaCraft VR (release minecrift-1.6.4-b12 -nohydra) and it looked great.

The only problem I had was paralysis - can't move from the neck up.
I'm running Firmware 2.11, SDK 0.4.1.

Is there anything I can do to help with head tracking?
I think it may be related to the SDK version - I've had problems with a few other demos.

I'm decent with C#, familiar with Java, and not too green on C++.
I'm having the exact same problem.
jscheema
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jscheema »

Hello,

Anyone got these to work?

https://github.com/mabrowning/minecrift/releases

I was able to compile "Build 2," but do not see any VR options anywhere.

Thank you.

Edit:
Someone uploaded a compiled version: https://www.mediafire.com/?t4qdkd79376kw1f (yay, it works, head tracking does not seem to work, and IPD is off, ouch headache)

source: http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... dk2_ready/
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

cyris69 wrote:Yeah, I think a custom pack will be the best. Don't get me wrong minecraft is great, but I just can't ever get back into Vanilla after moving to bukkit, then tekkit and its newer iterations. I haven't followed MC since 1.4 i think, not sure if there were any more improvements on things like machinery so you have more to do than just dig and build houses lol.
This is a little off-topic, but I don't even feel those mods add anything more to the game than a bunch of new stuff to make, or new destinations to build in. The game still feels fundamentally the same, and I find it kind of pointless to get "super-upgraded-mega-armour-5000!" when a simple set of iron is enough for basically everything. Are there any mods out there that fundamentally change the gameplay or challenge?
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
mabrowning
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mabrowning »

TheHolyChicken wrote:Are there any mods out there that fundamentally change the gameplay or challenge?
Well, there is TerraFirmaCraft, for one. Holy cow, that changes everything but is amazing.

Also, many of the main mods add whole new facets of the game, usually themed. For example, IndustrialCraft add automation, electricity, battery powered stuff, Nuclear Reactors, etc.

Also, hi everyone.
reptile7383
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by reptile7383 »

I just got my dk2 so I've been playing around with mods but I'm having trouble getting one of my mods to work with minecrift. I'm trying to get the forge mod Pixelmon to work but the models are just white boxes and I get a bunch of errors messages in the launcher window about it not being able to find certain resources. It works when I don't use minecrift so I'm curious if its just not compatible of if I installed something wrong.

I'm using the preview minecrift 1.6.4-031 (I've also tried the release on the first page but had the same result) and forge 965.
truegamer25
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by truegamer25 »

Hey there guys,

So - Just got my DK2 today (yay! :D) and I'm trying to understand what build I need to use for basic head tracking to work? I could use a quick run-down of what settings/rift & minecrift versions I should be using so I can try poking around with that and forge...is there already a version compiled for the 1.7.10 now, or 1.6.4 still, etc? Any thanks would be greatly appreciated...I've searched a number of settings and can't seem to find how to set this correctly... :)

-James aka truegamer25
CeilingCat
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CeilingCat »

How in the world can I adjust the field of view higher? I feel like I'm looking out of my face through a telescope on my dk2. Ideally I'd like to play with 90/100 degree realized fov, but considering that each eye is half of the resolution and only being able to see the center of the screen anyway, I'd like to adjust it up to something like 110-140 in order to get the center 90 within a comfortable range.

I've already attempted to look through the configuration files, changing fovScale in optionsvr.txt does nothing, nor does fov in options.txt. I'm about to start pulling it apart with a hex editor to see why I don't have that fov slider.
cyris69
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cyris69 »

CeilingCat wrote:How in the world can I adjust the field of view higher? I feel like I'm looking out of my face through a telescope on my dk2. Ideally I'd like to play with 90/100 degree realized fov, but considering that each eye is half of the resolution and only being able to see the center of the screen anyway, I'd like to adjust it up to something like 110-140 in order to get the center 90 within a comfortable range.

I've already attempted to look through the configuration files, changing fovScale in optionsvr.txt does nothing, nor does fov in options.txt. I'm about to start pulling it apart with a hex editor to see why I don't have that fov slider.
This is one of the MAIN reason I can't play it, I feel like I'm playing through a magnifying glass which is very uncomfortable.
truegamer25 wrote:Hey there guys,
So - Just got my DK2 today (yay! :D) and I'm trying to understand what build I need to use for basic head tracking to work? I could use a quick run-down of what settings/rift & minecrift versions I should be using so I can try poking around with that and forge...is there already a version compiled for the 1.7.10 now, or 1.6.4 still, etc? Any thanks would be greatly appreciated...I've searched a number of settings and can't seem to find how to set this correctly... :)
-James aka truegamer25
You need to to close your oculus programs in task manager to get tracking.
Kerrle
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kerrle »

Or, if you've got 0.4.1 installed, just pause the service in the config utility.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Hi guys, sorry for the silence over the 'leaked' preview releases etc. Been working my ass off trying to get a reasonable stable and usable build out. Back from vacation now as well, and I believe the IPD issue may now be sorted. Windows only for now.

Minecrift 1.7.10 Pre3

Let me know how you get on. I'm afraid the Forge version doesn't work currently. Looking for help on that one if anyone wants to dig into the code HERE! :?
Alric
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Alric »

Fantastic. Worked flawlessly for me first time.
Very smooth and it looks great.
Really impressed with all the options as well. Would think it is native support.
cyris69
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cyris69 »

StellaArtois wrote:Hi guys, sorry for the silence over the 'leaked' preview releases etc. Been working my ass off trying to get a reasonable stable and usable build out. Back from vacation now as well, and I believe the IPD issue may now be sorted. Windows only for now.

Minecrift 1.7.10 Pre3

Let me know how you get on. I'm afraid the Forge version doesn't work currently. Looking for help on that one if anyone wants to dig into the code HERE! :?
Hmm, ok I deleted my .minecraft

Ran an installed clean 1.7.10 and launched.
Ran and installed 1.7.10-Forge10.13.0.1180 installer
Ran minecrift installer you linked

Selected the nohydra 1.7.10 and clicked play and I get this
EDIT: Also added this to the JVM arguments " -Dfml.ignoreInvalidMinecraftCertificates=true -Dfml.ignorePatchDiscrepancies=true"
EDIT: Nevermind I'm retarded and didnt read the dont install with forge.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Alric wrote:Fantastic. Worked flawlessly for me first time.
Very smooth and it looks great.
Really impressed with all the options as well. Would think it is native support.
The best feedback I could receive, thank you! Just wish everyone else was having a similar lack of issues :lol:
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

cyris69 wrote:EDIT: Nevermind I'm retarded and didnt read the dont install with forge.
Don't worry, I do that. For example, just today I checked my Reddit messages for the first time. Only just worked out I had any. :oops:
NeoCortex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NeoCortex »

Thank you for giving me one of the most impressive Rift enabled applications (once again) !

Updated to 1.7.10 (caugh, seems i didnt use it quite a while), installed your patch, created profile using "New Profile",
as i couldnt find the "Navigate to the 'Local Version Editor (NYI)' tab. " you mentioned.
Changed resolution to 1920x1080, launched, moved the window to my Rift DK2 (shift+windoze+right arrow)...
Bingo!
Headtracking works as expected, i was able to lean over and look past a tree :)
Tracking is smooth, even at fast head movements, graphics look great!
One thing i noticed: it seems the menu panels are made out of some soft material,
as they seem to bend a little as i move my head. (Feels like some translational distortion, ...eye position, maybe?)
Black on collision works too.

Still makes me a bit dizzy after a while, but i had the same effect with the old version using my DK1.

My rig: Core I7 3770@3.5GHz, 16GB, Win 7 64Bit, Nvidia GTX660, using one 1920x1200 screen as main, Rift DK2 in extended mode

Keep up the great work!
One happy MineCrift user,
Neo
kingzope
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kingzope »

Stella I'm curious if it's possible to maintain 75fps? Adjusting the graphics I was able to get minecraft running at 135fps however obviously thats too much and causes judder. I saw multiple options for smooth fps but none of them seemed to hold my fps at 75 such as vsync would.

Other than that everything feels pretty good. I noticed sometimes I can hit esc to get to the menu and sometimes not.

With that however out of the way I want to thank you for giving us this awesome experience. I'm sure you've heard it a million times, but I really really appreciate it.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

kingzope wrote:Stella I'm curious if it's possible to maintain 75fps? Adjusting the graphics I was able to get minecraft running at 135fps however obviously thats too much and causes judder. I saw multiple options for smooth fps but none of them seemed to hold my fps at 75 such as vsync would.

Other than that everything feels pretty good. I noticed sometimes I can hit esc to get to the menu and sometimes not.

With that however out of the way I want to thank you for giving us this awesome experience. I'm sure you've heard it a million times, but I really really appreciate it.
I try to hard code vsync to on, but a number of people are managing to get vsync off. Can you remember the steps you took to get 135fps?

My pleasure :D
kingzope
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kingzope »

StellaArtois wrote:
kingzope wrote:Stella I'm curious if it's possible to maintain 75fps? Adjusting the graphics I was able to get minecraft running at 135fps however obviously thats too much and causes judder. I saw multiple options for smooth fps but none of them seemed to hold my fps at 75 such as vsync would.

I try to hard code vsync to on, but a number of people are managing to get vsync off. Can you remember the steps you took to get 135fps?

My pleasure :D
Well it wasn't very scientific of me but I dropped everything down and turned everything else off. As a test to see what max fps I could get I just went through every option and looked for ones that improved framerate. I plan to go through and start testing everyone seperately to see the affects but it gets hard when esc to menu doesn't work. I can wait though :). I'll double check my options but I'm fairly certain I didn't touch any ones that affected smooth framerate.
kingzope
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kingzope »

I double checked and smooth frames in on. That's all I could see that could affect vsync. I also noticed under framerate that Max Framerate was locked so I could change it. I'm sure that's by design. Maybe something else I changed affected it. I'll keep going through the options and see if I can find it.

*Update: I went through every option and reversed it without it making a difference. I'm not quite sure what turns it off. If I turn off smooth frames I get around 200fps. I may just try creating a new profile and going at it in reverse.
Last edited by kingzope on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Thanks for looking!

Escape to menu doesn't work? Ok, another thing to fix...

Return to “Minecrift”