Minecrift Discussion Thread

Clavus
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Rudimentary Minecraft Rift Support - Is it feasible?

Post by Clavus »

StellaArtois wrote:
Clavus wrote:Argh, can't get it to work. I get a black screen after logging in, complaining it can't find JRiftLibrary64, even though I've added the %APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\natives to both the PATH and CLASSPATH system variables (Windows 7 x64). When I dump all the DLLs from the .minecraft\bin\natives folder next to the Minecraft.exe, it complains it can't find dependent libaries for JRiftLibary64.
You may need to install the Visual Studio 2012 C++ redistributable. And then copy JRiftLibrary.dll & JRiftLibrary64.dll to your Windows system dir as a quick hack.
Thanks, that fixed it!

I tried it out on my server and it's amazing! Hope you can get the headtracking sorted out. My head pitch seemed to be tracked alright but the yaw and roll modifiers were way too high.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Head tracking fixed? I hope so.
Minecrift_0_16_alpha.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

zanalein wrote:This is my first post here, and I don't even own a Rift yet(probably getting it by the end of June), but I wanted to thank you for doing such an effort in your spare time so we can all enjoy Minecraft with the Rift.

With people like you, no doubt we will have a lot of demos and games to try out once we get our devkits, but I have to admit I'm really looking forward to try Minecraft! It must look really awesome due to the nature of the game.

Once again, thank you :-)
Pleasure's all mine :-)
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

I installed .15 and noticed the rotation is definitely happening too fast, about double feels right. I have a fraps recording of me rotating the rift 360 degrees with the debug info on with a stop at every 90 degrees. I noticed an occasional "jumping" of the video where it would shift locations sometimes when rotating, you will see this happen once in the video at the 25 second mark.

Edit: .16 feels about right, removing video :)
Last edited by defactoman on Tue May 07, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

A quick install and test of .16 the headtracking feels about right!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

defactoman wrote:I installed .15 and noticed the rotation is definitely happening too fast, about double feels right. I have a fraps recording of me rotating the rift 360 degrees with the debug info on with a stop at every 90 degrees. I noticed an occasional "jumping" of the video where it would shift locations sometimes when rotating, you will see this happen once in the video at the 25 second mark.

Edit: .16 feels about right, removing video :)
Thanks again for your help on this defactoman!
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

Oh i noticed the UI bar that is normally transpartent and white at ground level, becomes it's normal (non-rift mode) granite texture when I hit the cloud layer.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

It is kind of sad that so many people are now ordering the dev kit only for this mod :/
They should wait for the consumer version, they probably are going to be disappointed by the short comings of the dev kit.

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
konchok
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by konchok »

Marulu wrote:It is kind of sad that so many people are now ordering the dev kit only for this mod :/
They should wait for the consumer version, they probably are going to be disappointed by the short comings of the dev kit.
I don't think it'll be that large of a problem. They'll have a few months at least to really consider whether or not they really want the rift. I'd be willing to bet that most impulse buyers will cancel their order before they get a dev kit.

P.S. Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster.
toresbe
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by toresbe »

Marulu wrote:It is kind of sad that so many people are now ordering the dev kit only for this mod :/
The dev kit is still amazingly compelling, and I see very little risk that reasonable people could be upset that what is very clearly labelled as a developer preview would have shortcomings.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

konchok wrote:
I don't think it'll be that large of a problem. They'll have a few months at least to really consider whether or not they really want the rift. I'd be willing to bet that most impulse buyers will cancel their order before they get a dev kit.

P.S. Hey everyone, long time lurker first time poster.
That probably is true, but those that are not going to cancel their order are most likely are going to be disappointed.
The disappointed ones most likely are going to bash the Rift, which could affect the sales of the consumer version.

All in all it´s bad for everyone involved (Oculus VR, devs, and the gamers themselves) if they buy a dev kt without knowing anything about it.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

EDIT: Grammar/Phrasing
Last edited by Marulu on Tue May 07, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

Yeah to be honest making any games available this early for a Dev Kit is sending the wrong message, we should all be silently making new experiences that blow people's minds when the consumer version rolls around, rather than hacking old games. I guess so many people have been waiting over 20 years to play such games and can't wait any longer, and it seems like a shame to let so many great 3D games go unplayed in VR. And I guess ports limit the risk of developing on a new platform without any quality content.

MinecRift is probably the worse threat to my productivity but I'm glad it was so relatively quick. Thank you SetllaAtois, I can't wait to play it.
Dycus
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Dycus »

Fantastic! 0.16 feels great on the headtracking. Just needs UI work now and it'll be perfect. ;)

A couple points of feedback - the crosshair is essential. I can at least see what block I'm hovering over because of the black boundary that shows up, but it's hard to know where I'm hitting in other situations (like trying not to die from a creeper). I think I'd like a headlook mode that doesn't control my crosshair, too. Then I could be mining something and still looking around to make sure I'm not getting ambushed. And of course, the UI needs to be fixed. Though I could do without just about everything else if I had hunger and health bars.

But it's great so far! I'm looking forward to more updates. Also, don't play without sound unless you want to have a heart attack when a spider jumps on top of your head in a cave. :P
Ericshelpdesk
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ericshelpdesk »

Dycus wrote:
Though I could do without just about everything else if I had hunger and health bars.
I thought that was covered already, instead of a hunger bar, you're supposed to feel hungry now when you need food, and when your health bar runs out you die. This new immersion thing is awesome!
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

OMG 0.16 head tracking works great! I just walked through a snowy biome and it was awesome!

STELLA!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVrU0JNAgqI
tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

I'm having so much fun playing Minecraft with the Rift. I've setup a temporary Minecraft 1.5.2 server with GriefProtection and Mumble voice chat server at the address...

dotalore.com (both minecraft and mumble servers are at this address)

It's got a great little spawn point. When you place your first chest down it will claim some protected land for you.

All are welcome! Download and use mumble voice chat if you are able as I probably won't be able to see text chat since I'll be playing using the Oculus Rift.

-tmek
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

unsilentwill wrote:Yeah to be honest making any games available this early for a Dev Kit is sending the wrong message, we should all be silently making new experiences that blow people's minds when the consumer version rolls around, rather than hacking old games.
Isn't the point of the dev kit to, you know, make (develop) games?

How will developers know/learn what a mind-blowing experience is if they don't experiment and release things?

There is value in hacking and modding old games for rift support. Have you not seen the cool things happening with Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Quake 3? These are old games and there are compelling experiences being developed for these old games.
Dr.Omnibus
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dr.Omnibus »

Despite the "lower performing" dev kit, I'm still inclined to believe that more of them out there, the better.

Success for gaming hardware depends on critical mass. If enough people own it, there will be a large enough market, and that means more developer support.

Right now Minecraft would be the largest games Oculus could have hopped for to get working support.
hellodeibu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hellodeibu »

Dr.Omnibus wrote:Despite the "lower performing" dev kit, I'm still inclined to believe that more of them out there, the better.

Success for gaming hardware depends on critical mass. If enough people own it, there will be a large enough market, and that means more developer support.

Right now Minecraft would be the largest games Oculus could have hopped for to get working support.
Here here! Now is absolutely not the time to ask for conservative support. The more experience and enjoy the Rift now, the faster we'll get to living room quality hardware and games.
Kerry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kerry »

tmek
Cross Eyed!

Post by tmek »

Got shot right between the eyes with an arrow :lol:

Note for Stella, we've noticed heads do not render on other players.

Been playing for a few hours, aside from the crafting UI it's running great. Running around exploring, mining, farming, chopping trees etc is all great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

Ha! That's so cool.

Edit: I just realized... all of that talk from people who have their Rifts about being inside a world you created, every kid who plays Minecraft on the Rift would experience that. The experience of your own work, could inspire game designers or real life architects. Neat!
Last edited by unsilentwill on Tue May 07, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nlholman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nlholman »

:woot

This is by far the BEST thing I've messed around with in the Rift.

My head almost exploded when I realized that with this and minecraft, the Rift and http://westeroscraft.com/home I can be John Snow...

Also, Thanks tmek! I'll be back!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Excellent! Additional exposure for the Rift is gud :-)
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Ok, quick summary of the main issues as I see them currently:

- GUI - HUD not readable. Inventory et al not in 3D. Mouse pointer off.
- Heads not rendering on other players. Made me laugh that one - that's because I did a quick hack of the Player class to not draw the head when in 1st person - otherwise all you see is the inside of your head ;-) Looks like it affects all other players as well however!
- Optifine support. I want anti-aliasing.

I'll work on those first, probably in that order. They could take some time. In the mean time any other issues / feedback please add it to this thread, it will be noted even if I don't respond in person!

Edit: Damn typos
hellodeibu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hellodeibu »

StellaArtois wrote:Ok, quick summary of the main issues as I see them currently:

- GUI - HUD not readable. Inventory et al not in 3D. Mouse pointer off.
- Heads not rendering on other players. Made me laugh that one - that's because I did a quick hack of the Player class to not draw the head when in 1st person - otherwise all you see is the inside of your head ;-) Looks like it affects all other players as well however!
- Optifine support. I want anti-aliasing.

I'll work on those first, probably in that order. They could take some time. In the mean time any other issues / feedback please add it to this thread, it will be noted even if I don't respond in person!
Sounds fantastic! I'll be closely stalking this forum topic and testing your new builds as you release them!

Quick question; How complicated/impossible would it be to get this to work with the OS X version of Minecraft?

Thanks!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

hellodeibu wrote:Quick question; How complicated/impossible would it be to get this to work with the OS X version of Minecraft?
Just needs somebody to recompile the JRift library under Mac OSX now that the Rift SDK supports Mac OS. However I don't have a Mac or a working OSX Virtual Machine. But that reminds me, I need to upload my JRift updates back to powback's git repos...
mrklaw
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mrklaw »

unsilentwill wrote:Yeah to be honest making any games available this early for a Dev Kit is sending the wrong message, we should all be silently making new experiences that blow people's minds when the consumer version rolls around, rather than hacking old games. I guess so many people have been waiting over 20 years to play such games and can't wait any longer, and it seems like a shame to let so many great 3D games go unplayed in VR. And I guess ports limit the risk of developing on a new platform without any quality content.

MinecRift is probably the worse threat to my productivity but I'm glad it was so relatively quick. Thank you SetllaAtois, I can't wait to play it.

seems a bit negative. Are developers going to be so distracted playing minecraft that they won't make their own games? no. Games like this, and demos like the ones being released are really great for keeping the buzz up IMO.

I see no issues with the current devkit being seen as suitable for developers but also enthusiasts that are intelligent enough to understand what they are getting into
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

Okay okay! I said one negative thing about how I'm seeing young kids asking for devkits because of MinecRift, and the rest of my post is me backtracking from that stance and thanking the developer. Trust me, if anyone wants Minecraft on the Rift it's me. I didn't say it's a threat to everyone's productivity, but certainly mine :lol:. But so many people ask what playable games the Rift has or its resolution, when devkits are meant for making new content.

I know that won't stop me or anyone else, and I know it it's not an either/or thing, but the less people expecting a consumer product of the devkit the better. And again trust me, I want to play every game I've ever owned on the Rift, I'm mostly parroting Palmer who places the emphasis on built-for-VR experiences, which honestly Minecraft isn't that far off of given its freedom of exploration and sense of presence. Keep up the good work, I'm mostly jealous of you guys playing it!
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

I predict that the MineCrift bump will exceed the TF2 bump.

The Rift needs the Colbert Bump to really kick it into overdrive.
Ohverture
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ohverture »

Damn - I get these error messages

Exception in threat "Thread-5" java.lang.VerifyError: (class: net/minecraft/clie
nt/Minecraft, method: runTick signature: ()Z) Incompatible argument to function
at net.minecraft.client.MinecraftApplet.init(SourceFile:38)
at net.minecraft.Launcher.replace(Launcher.java:143)
at net.minecraft.launcher$1.run(Launcher.java:87)

Any thoughts?
Installed the Redists for Vs2012, added the path and copied the DLL's for good measure.

Getting the black screen.
hellodeibu
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hellodeibu »

Ohverture wrote:Damn - I get these error messages

Exception in threat "Thread-5" java.lang.VerifyError: (class: net/minecraft/clie

Any thoughts?
Installed the Redists for Vs2012, added the path and copied the DLL's for good measure.

Did you try launching it with Administrator rights? That's what I have to do to get in-game (right click > run as administrator works for me).
Ohverture
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ohverture »

hellodeibu wrote:
Ohverture wrote:Damn - I get these error messages

Any thoughts?

Did you try launching it with Administrator rights? That's what I have to do to get in-game (right click > run as administrator works for me).

I did, didn't work the first time but I used a different compression program to insert the files into the Jar and it seemed to work :)
Cheers.
Kajos
Cross Eyed!

Post by Kajos »

Would like to try it out, but it doesn't work for me.
I couldn't find the VS distributables, could you possibly build the tracker software without it?
Either way, I used 7Zip, removed the META file, added the additional classes and put the libraries in the natives folder. I set my system path (and tried my user path) to include %APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\natives.

I also tried setting the librarypath through the commandline; C:\Users\Kajos\Games>java -cp Minecraft.exe net.minecraft.LauncherFrame -Djava.l
ibrary.path=C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin\natives and tried it with %APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\natives

I'm running Win7 64 bit.

Code: Select all

Loading JRiftLibrary64.dll (64-bit)
Exception in thread "Thread-5" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no JRiftLibrary64
 in java.library.path
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
        at de.fruitfly.ovr.OculusRift.<clinit>(OculusRift.java:297)
        at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.<init>(Minecraft.java:313)
        at avv.<init>(SourceFile:38)
        at net.minecraft.Launcher.replace(Launcher.java:136)
        at net.minecraft.Launcher$1.run(Launcher.java:79)
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Redists: Looks like MS have helpfully moved the page. Try here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download ... x?id=30679

Copy them into your Windows/System32 dir.

Edit - blatant un-truths!
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

Is it me, or does it feel like things are starting to go exponential? Like some kind of VR singularity is emerging. Haha.

I played MinecRift and the first thing I noticed is that blocks are HUGE. Makes sense though, since 2 blocks stacked equal the height of the player. Cows are HUGE. Everything is amplified. Going through mines is incredibly claustrophobic. I was so immersed that I forgot that there was no positional tracking, and I kept trying to peek out of my 1x1 windows to check for mobs. Digging straight up or straight down can be uncomfortable after a long time since it is required to look at the blocks that one is breaking. Strangely enough, since the world is made of blocks, the screendoor effect actually makes "sense." Animals coming out from behind trees are hilarious for some reason.

@StellaArtois
Thank you so much for your efforts!

@unsilentwill
I understand your frustrations. But the VR train is going strong. Angry kids talking crap about a devkit because it's a devkit will not stop this train at all. No need to worry.

@Kajos
I got the redistributables here:
http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/e ... l-software

Then click "Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012" to expand the accordion menu for the download links.

I think you might need to reboot Windows for it to recognize the new environment variables. I didn't reboot, though. I used a similar command that you did:

Code: Select all

java -Djava.library.path=c:\minecrift -cp c:\users\jose\downloads\minecraft.exe net.minecraft.LauncherFrame
I copied the JRift DLLs to c:\minecrift
I'm using Java jre1.6.0_31

@tmek
Thank you for hosting. I played on your server for a few hours. To increase the safety of the spawn point, I started digging an air gap around it. I also dropped as many torches around as I could. I was going to leave most of my items in a community chest, but I think your settings disallow that.
minecrift1.png
minecrift2.png
minecrift3.png
Kajos
Cross Eyed!

Post by Kajos »

Got it working, pretty sweet. Only thing really bothersome is the sudden jumps in head aiming. Also, closing doesn't work right, now I'm bound to run Minecrift forever! (joke)

I read the readme which was pretty handy as a start as I'm unknown to Minecraft modding; if you need a hand with any Opengl stuff I might be able to lend a reasonably experienced hand.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Kajos wrote:Only thing really bothersome is the sudden jumps in head aiming.
Kajos, does this occur randomly (like a texture loading 'hitch') or is it relatively reproducible in that it occurs when your head is in a similar orientation each time?
Kajos wrote:; if you need a hand with any Opengl stuff I might be able to lend a reasonably experienced hand.
Excellent! Any thoughts on this:

If you run without the Rift on, and run in windowed mode, resize the window you'll see the left pane has areas of the screen that have not been written to (are plain white). You then have to move the view around to 'wipe over' these uninitialised areas. If you turn off distortion (i.e. don't use an FBO) this doesn't occur.

Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong with my FBO initialisation? I'm assuming it's some Open GL blend state or similiar that I'm not setting up correctly when I create the new (resized) FBO?

Apologies if I'm making no sense with this.

Edit: Typos, as usual.
vanti
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vanti »

Hi and awesome work!
I can't get it to load but I guess this is mostly due to me being new to Minecraft. As soon as I modify the minecraft.jar it refuses to load and just says "Done Loading" with progress bar near the end. Googling makes it seem this is somewhat of a standard issue with minecraft but only way I can get it to load is to revert to unmodified minecraft.jar
First I missed removing the META-INF but even after removing it I have this issue. Anyone has any clues or tips?
sunole123
One Eyed Hopeful

magic laucher

Post by sunole123 »

I am new to mods and scared of modifying the jar file, and hence I am using magiclauncher, would it be able to do the load and run? or do i have still manually to load the files with 7-zip?? thanks all

Return to “Minecrift”