Minecrift Discussion Thread

mabrowning
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Minecrift Discussion Thread

Post by mabrowning »

CaptnYesterday wrote:First time Minecrafter and first time downloading / using Minecrift.
Awesome! Thanks for your feedback.
CaptnYesterday wrote: Procedure:
Am I missing anything? Here is what I did from start to finish:

1. Bought Minecraft (1.6.2 at the time of purchase)
2. Went to Java and downloaded and installed 64 bit version (I have Windows 7 64bit)
3. Ran Minecraft once to ensure that everything worked.
4. Downloaded and ran "minecrift-1.6.2-b73-installer.exe" (I know that b74 is up there now but did not know what the diff was).
5. Ran minecraft and selected the minecrift profile. Clicked 'Play".
6. As directed by VirtuosRifter, I changed Device Calibration In the VR options 'At Startup' to 'Skip'. (I had to do this as it was always trying to calibrate the Hydra I don't own)

Done! I can't believe how easy it was to change the IPD (and import my Oculus Calibration Profile). These menus are the best and I love how it defaults to the VR menu. Please do not change that!!!
Spot on, easy-peasy. b74 added some FOV scaling and additional aspect ratio fixes. You can see an auto-generated changelog here. That is just pulled out of our commit notes, so it may be a bit cryptic. That gets built on every new commit, so you can stay up to date with changes, or just wait for the next official release.
CaptnYesterday wrote: Questions:
-I did NOT install magic launcher or optifine. Is optifine already part of this version of Minecrift? If not should I install and how?
-Surprised by the apparent requirements of the game (I have a ATI 7970, 16 GB ram, Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2GHz) and it chugged when playing with some settings.
-I did not see FOV or Resolution (I know this game is a bit different). Do you guys have recommended settings?
-Where is the minecrift read me?
-In Windows, I setup the monitors like this: Extended w/Rift as main (my monitor is 1680x1050 so i never 'duplicate' displays unless running 1280x800 across both which is not optimal as all demos have looked mush better when scaling down to this from 1920x1200).
-I have been running MineCrift when the rift display was set to 1920x1200 on the desktop. I did not see Minecraft ever ask for a resolution so I do not know if it scaled down from 1920x1200 or if it just opened in 1280x800. Any ideas here?
  • Optifine is required, but we install it as part of the installer now.
    Yes, unfortunately Minecraft was written by slightly amateur developers and the rendering code is quite sloppy. In addition, a stereo view requires approximately 175% of the horsepower of the normal game.
    VR Settings has most of the relevant... VR settings ;) Optics and Rendering allows to scale the FOV. The resolution is actually a bit buggy now, but that's in the Video Settings.
    You can find a "README" on our website or on github. The website is touch out of date, but more readable.
    I think Fullscreen uses the "normal" resolution of the desktop.
CaptnYesterday wrote: Impressions and Verdict :
This is phenomenal. The in-game menus and the UI are even better than I thought and I was already guessing it would be great. The scale, warping, lack of eyestrain, and these ease of 'patching' is the best I have seen so far, and the OPTIONS for VR in the menu... all staggering. Even on the DK, I will play this game and I never meant to do anything other than Demo, test and small time unity development.
I think (and i say this cautiously) you guys may have one of the VR 'Killer Apps' on your hands here. :o just wow. Get ready for alot of attention.

Finally, I love testing things more than playing. Can I help with anything?
Don't be afraid to give us critical feedback: we have a lot of things left to add, but we do want this to be the best experience possible. If anything felt a little off, let us know! I've toodled around, but I haven't played through the whole game. There may be problems with a lot of the corner cases: boss battles, nether portals, enchanting tables, etc. One example: minecraft capes! Just tested that out, and the cape was flapping in my face the whole time. Finding those and squashing them will be important for people to use it as a full game and not just a tech demo.

Thanks again for the feedback!
CaptnYesterday
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CaptnYesterday »

FYI:
-The text in achievements (which, as a noob, is kinda the only way I can learn 'in-game' how to play) is cut off sometimes (limited by the key hole created when you hit escape or bring up the inventory. You know how you can only move the mouse so far to the left or right in these menus? Well the achievement text is limited by this cutoff as well.) Work around: Pull the achievement towards the center of that menu and the full text should now be readable.

-the health/hunger bar drifts far to the left for me in a short period of time. I have found the rift calibration and that helps. I will test this for an hour or so next time and check drift. Is there a shortcut key to recenter this, toggle it invisible, and to change it's absolute vertical position (I was trying to move it down.). I am sorry if it was in the a diff read me, but i did not see it.

-See through the world when running up against a block and then looking down. Able to see the caves worming through and all the lava way down there. It looks really neat, should be fixed? Running straight into a block won't do it, you must be up against it and look down.

Resolution scaling and aliasing:
-I found the resolution settings in-game. You are right that it sometimes does not work right and the overlap gets messed up. I keep it on 'default' (windows settings) and have found the following using the rift as main extended display and changing the res from windows:
---If you scale down to 1280x800, I would normally recommend going from 1920x1200 rather than 1080p. to keep the same Aspect ratio. (1080p should be slightly off) However, in this case 1920x1080 does a better job. The 1200p brings things too close. You can see it right away when looking at the first menu.
---FXAA may not be needed if you scale down from 1200 or 1080p. I will test both for quality vs performance later tonight.

Hope that makes sense.

May I ask what your next milestone is? The whole simplification of installing this and getting it to work so easily is a large achievement.
Testing with: ATI 7970, 8GB 1600 ram, Core i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Java 7 x64. For science... you monster.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

mabrowning wrote:
Deop wrote:I'd like to mount the hydra to my upper body (by letting it dangle inside my shirt) instead of mounting it to the HMD. The Heli Hell demo does it that way and it works very well.
We could, but its a completely different experience. Your torso determines your "walking" direction, with your head and bob andn weave around. We'll look into it, it isn't hard. I just wouldn't expect it to be as immersive. Ideally, we'd have sensors everywhere ;)
I believe the idea is that you fix your torso hydra as high on the torso as possible (i.e. collarbone height), then the neck model is COMBINED with the hydra position data to get the final eye position. Furthermore, IN ADDITION to the positional tracking, you could also use the torso tracker's orientation to establish a walk direction. Seems to be the best of both worlds....

That's the idea, anyway. This guy implemented such an approach: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=17912
I'm afraid I haven't tried it myself to comment on its effectiveness (it's on the to-do list!), but it makes sense to me and I find it very appealing (I find a Rift-mounted hydra uncomfortable; makes my lenses unavoidably sweaty). I really wish I had more time!
Last edited by TheHolyChicken on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

[deleted]
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Yeah, I used the HydraDeck and I didn't like it much. I'll give it another go and see how it feels.

Edit: had a go of it, and I guess the things I disliked about it around due to the tracking; that was actually working fairly well. It also gave me a great idea for calibrating eye protrustion/neck height, etc without using menus ^_^

Might be worth trying to implement.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Deop wrote:Using the latest version (1.1 beta), here is my feedback:

The virtual HUD is by far the best I've seen in any game.

Minor bug: I can't select 65.5mm IPD (it jumps between 65.4mm and 65.6mm)

I'd like to mount the hydra to my upper body (by letting it dangle inside my shirt) instead of mounting it to the HMD. The Heli Hell demo does it that way and it works very well.
Could you implement this in Minecrift please? If the 3rd sensor of the upcoming Sixense Wireless controller is a clip-on, I think most people will clip it to their upper body as well.
Thanks for your feedback Deop!

IPD: Is it possible to set 65.5 if you single click just to the left or right of the actual slider position bar?

For the hydra mount, we could have a direct pos track option, but it might feel a bit odd with no allowance for head orientation tracking. Maybe a 'direct pos track plus neck model' might work but that may be a pain to implement with our current architecture. I'll look into it.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

CaptnYesterday wrote:FYI:
-The text in achievements (which, as a noob, is kinda the only way I can learn 'in-game' how to play) is cut off sometimes (limited by the key hole created when you hit escape or bring up the inventory. You know how you can only move the mouse so far to the left or right in these menus? Well the achievement text is limited by this cutoff as well.) Work around: Pull the achievement towards the center of that menu and the full text should now be readable.

-the health/hunger bar drifts far to the left for me in a short period of time. I have found the rift calibration and that helps. I will test this for an hour or so next time and check drift. Is there a shortcut key to recenter this, toggle it invisible, and to change it's absolute vertical position (I was trying to move it down.). I am sorry if it was in the a diff read me, but i did not see it.

-See through the world when running up against a block and then looking down. Able to see the caves worming through and all the lava way down there. It looks really neat, should be fixed? Running straight into a block won't do it, you must be up against it and look down.

Resolution scaling and aliasing:
-I found the resolution settings in-game. You are right that it sometimes does not work right and the overlap gets messed up. I keep it on 'default' (windows settings) and have found the following using the rift as main extended display and changing the res from windows:
---If you scale down to 1280x800, I would normally recommend going from 1920x1200 rather than 1080p. to keep the same Aspect ratio. (1080p should be slightly off) However, in this case 1920x1080 does a better job. The 1200p brings things too close. You can see it right away when looking at the first menu.
---FXAA may not be needed if you scale down from 1200 or 1080p. I will test both for quality vs performance later tonight.

Hope that makes sense.

May I ask what your next milestone is? The whole simplification of installing this and getting it to work so easily is a large achievement.
Glad you're enjoying it Captn! :-) This is just the feedback we like as well.

- Text in achievements. Added to the issue tracker.
- Definitely need to use the Rift calibration; that enables the auto yaw correction. Does it still drift once calibrated? Reset Origin on the menus *should* recentre it, let us know if it does. HUD can be toggled on/off with F1 (that's a standard Minecraft key). I'm going to add a HUD vertical position modifier.
- See through the world - Ok, readded to the tracker. I missed that way of breaking it!
- Regarding the Optifine res changes, I haven't actually played around with that as yet. I'll have a look into that. We should be adjusting for different aspect ratios now, but I'm not sure how that'll interact with the Optifine settings.
- In general, I think we'd recommend running at native res, and using Minecrift's FSAA 2X. However 1920X1200 with no FSAA doesn't look so bad, and may perform better.

Next milestone? Hell, this is incremental development ;-) That said, I know ma wants to add to and improve the control schemes; I'm going to look at getting GLSL shader mod support in.
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

Wish I had more constructive feedback other than its bloody amazing in the rift, the best experience so far well done this game was made for it! I guess its the only game where the graphics are worse in the game than cutting out squares from the box the game came in and building your own house with them. No wait or is it ah never mind its brilliant carry on. :D
Deop
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Deop »

StellaArtois wrote:
Deop wrote:I'd like to mount the hydra to my upper body (by letting it dangle inside my shirt) instead of mounting it to the HMD. The Heli Hell demo does it that way and it works very well.
Could you implement this in Minecrift please? If the 3rd sensor of the upcoming Sixense Wireless controller is a clip-on, I think most people will clip it to their upper body as well.

IPD: Is it possible to set 65.5 if you single click just to the left or right of the actual slider position bar?

For the hydra mount, we could have a direct pos track option, but it might feel a bit odd with no allowance for head orientation tracking. Maybe a 'direct pos track plus neck model' might work but that may be a pain to implement with our current architecture. I'll look into it.
I'll try the IPD thing.

Regarding the Hydra, I think we misunderstand each other slightly. I would like to track the position of the upper body with the hydra, on top of that the game should consider the head tracker data from the rift and the neck model.

Try the Heli Hell demo, then you will know what I mean. It's at http://www.grin.be/blog/?p=975

Thanks!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Deop wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:

I'll try the IPD thing.

Regarding the Hydra, I think we misunderstand each other slightly. I would like to track the position of the upper body with the hydra, on top of that the game should consider the head tracker data from the rift and the neck model.

Try the Heli Hell demo, then you will know what I mean. It's at http://www.grin.be/blog/?p=975

Thanks!
Tried it, it's good! :-)

I think we're just misunderstanding each others terminology. We're both talking about the same thing. As ma suggested, you effectively would like a new sensor type - 'Body position' on top of everything we currently support. Gotcha.
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Yeah, I was investigating that last night (body sensor). I don't actually thing it'll be that hard. Some more configuration, but I think I've got a way to calibrate it without futzing with tons of numbers in the config, which is what I'm afraid is going to happen if we keep adding all these sensor locations ;).

Basically, configure your body hydra (height off ground, distance from chest center), then use the other one to calibrate the neck model by temporarily holding it up under the rift like a big nose. Turn your head left, right, up, and down (again) and we'll record the position of the head relative to the body. From that, we can back-calculate the neck model parameters, probably even better than people can manually enter.

I'm still not sold that this is better than direct head tracking, but it certainly isn't much worse. I'd say its worth a shot.

Someone will need to make instructional YouTube videos at some point. Who here has the prettiest face? ;)
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

StellaArtois wrote:I think we're just misunderstanding each others terminology. We're both talking about the same thing. As ma suggested, you effectively would like a new sensor type - 'Body position' on top of everything we currently support. Gotcha.
Yea that sounds right. I'd like to fix a Razer Hydra at my "manubrium" - this bit!

...essentially at the base of the throat/neck. So you include Oculus's neck modelling, and you just add it on to the position of the Hydra - this actually should give you proper head positional tracking. In addition, you can get the orientation of the body through the Hydra too, which means you can walk in the direction of the body, not the head.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

mabrowning wrote:Someone will need to make instructional YouTube videos at some point. Who here has the prettiest face? ;)
I was intending to show off the awesome running pouch hydra-holder thing at some point anyway, maybe I could do that :)
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Well, it doesn't really matter where you mount it, your rib cage is approximately rigid. In fact, it would probably better be lower so that it isn't affected by collarbone motion.

I forsee the following being manually entered:

Hydra center point height above ground (easy to measure absolutely)
Hydra center point offset from body center (will probably need a graphic for this).
Eye height above ground (maybe from the Oculus profile?, otherwise, easy to measure absolutely)

Then, (and I'm working out the math to confirm), we can automatically compute:
Neck length,
Eye protrusion,
Chest protrusion (basically, the distance front-to-back between body hydra and "neck" base).

It won't be perfect, since people's necks aren't an ideal ball-and-stick joint. It *might* be possible to model it as a curve... but that's pushing it on what we can automatically calculate.
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

Croccy22 wrote:One other thing I came across which I don't know if it would be of any use.

Looks like someone wrote a TrackIR Java library quite a while ago. Not sure how easy it would be to integrate into Minecrift but again since TrackIR is supported by FreePIE it would open up support for all the other trackers.

https://weblogs.java.net/blog/herkules/ ... nging.html.

So far with all my experiences, the TrackIR supported stuff seems to be the simplest to set up.

Matt.

PS. I have just downloaded the guys sample Java app and the jtrackir.dll file. A ran up freepie with a TrackIR script and the Java app reports the trackIT is connected and read all the inputs perfectly. This does actually look like it would be pretty simple to add to minecrift but my Java knowledge just isn't good enough to do this yet (Just started reading my Java programming book again :P).

The Java code just has some simple mehods getRoll, getPitch, getYaw, getX, getY and getZ. This would also give people the option of using positional tracking through FreePIE too :)

OK, So I am now on page 196 of Java for Dummies so am at that dangerous stage where I know enough to start screwing around with things :P

I have been hacking around with the VRRenderer.java file and found a section which basically says if none of the Rift/Hydra stuff is in play then set the Camera roll to 0. I have imported the JTrackIR Library from above into this class and then set the camera roll to JTrackIR.getRoll();. Just before this I am doing a JTrackIR.update() to get the latest readings from the sensor.

At the beginning of the updateCamera function I have an if statement that says if (JTrackIR.isOperational==false) JTrackIR.setDeveloperID( 14801 ); (Not 100% sure what relevance the 14802 has but that was in the sample code which worked :P).

So my thinking was that with this code I would get a very nasty hack way of getting head roll from my DIY Rift. However in practice it doesn't work. JtrackIR never get's activated. In the demo code the jtrackir.dll has to be in the same folder as the java file. But i'm not sure where it needs to be placed for minecrift. I have tried several locations but I think I am missing something. Does this dll file need to be compiled into the build somewhere so it gets extracted to the natives folder at runtime?

I know this is not the correct way of doing this but I am happier messing around with stuff than waiting to see if someone else does it for me :). Maybe once I have read the next 700odd pages I'll know a bit more!

Thanks, Matt.
stalemate22
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stalemate22 »

i have it working with oculus rift but there is a calibrating message on the screen that wont go away, i push spacebar as it asks be to but nothing happens. i can run around in the worlds but i am unable to remove the writing. hope someone can help me, thankyou.
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

The 1.6.2 Release works like a charm and I featured this Mod on my Blog once again some days ago. :)

There are so many updates these days, an auto updater would be nice.

like: Minecrift.exe --> [Checks if current Version is installed ---> Download if not] --// if Downloaded: Displays a message that a new version was downloaded and the profile needs to be changed --> runs Minecraft.exe
[ ] = happens in Background

I could do this for you, but i would have to parse the HTML file and look for a new Version, while you could use the Cloudbees API for checking for new Version, which would be way more efficient.
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Haven't been able to do much for the past few weeks, but I've been toying around with the new version.

Well, I say that - I mean I've been examining how it's installed =p

One question - why is it that the minecrift profile uses a dummy .jar and then puts the proper one in the library folder?
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

FreePIE author now claims to have Hydra Emualtion working :)

Will test out as soon as I get home and post results.

Matt.
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Dakor wrote:The 1.6.2 Release works like a charm and I featured this Mod on my Blog once again some days ago. :)

There are so many updates these days, an auto updater would be nice.

like: Minecrift.exe --> [Checks if current Version is installed ---> Download if not] --// if Downloaded: Displays a message that a new version was downloaded and the profile needs to be changed --> runs Minecraft.exe
[ ] = happens in Background

I could do this for you, but i would have to parse the HTML file and look for a new Version, while you could use the Cloudbees API for checking for new Version, which would be way more efficient.

Well, I don't exactly want everyone to automatically switch to the newest CI build. Those are mostly for people to test specific issues. Of course, people can feel free to download and play them, but think of them more like minecraft snapshots instead of full releases.

That said, I think you're auto-update idea is spot-on. We should be able to use the RSS feed from the 1.6.2-release job.
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Jademalo wrote: One question - why is it that the minecrift profile uses a dummy .jar and then puts the proper one in the library folder?
So I don't have to make a new copy of it every time you install a new version. Think of the bits!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

stalemate22 wrote:i have it working with oculus rift but there is a calibrating message on the screen that wont go away, i push spacebar as it asks be to but nothing happens. i can run around in the worlds but i am unable to remove the writing. hope someone can help me, thankyou.
stalemate22, if you go to the VR Options->Positional Tracking menu, switch from Neck Model to Hydra, and then back to neck model. Quit out of Minecraft and reload. Does that solve the issue?

Next build will have the defaults altered to try to prevent this happening in the first place.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Croccy22 wrote:FreePIE author now claims to have Hydra Emualtion working :)

Will test out as soon as I get home and post results.

Matt.
Keep us informed! :-)
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

One quick question that hopefully someone can answer.

The FreePIE emulation requires me to replace the current sixense.dll file with the FreePIE version. Where can I place this dll file so that minecrift with use the new version. I noticed that the dll files seem to get extracted into a random named folder during runtime and then deleted when it shuts down. Is there somewhere I can place this dll file so it will overwrite the orignal?

Thanks, Matt.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

#80 doesn't seem to work, instant black screen when I launch it using the exe install and the launcher.

Also, that makes sense I guess, but my love for consistency is making me twitch =p
Would it not be better to use the versions directory rather than the libs directory for the de-META-INF'd 1.6.2 though?

EDIT: It's just clicked why you've done that, but I'm still not a fan of having the mc jar in the libs folder. Ah well, to each his own. (I'm totally modifying my install lol)
Last edited by Jademalo on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Croccy22 wrote: The Java code just has some simple mehods getRoll, getPitch, getYaw, getX, getY and getZ. This would also give people the option of using positional tracking through FreePIE too :)

OK, So I am now on page 196 of Java for Dummies so am at that dangerous stage where I know enough to start screwing around with things :P

I have been hacking around with the VRRenderer.java file and found a section which basically says if none of the Rift/Hydra stuff is in play then set the Camera roll to 0. I have imported the JTrackIR Library from above into this class and then set the camera roll to JTrackIR.getRoll();. Just before this I am doing a JTrackIR.update() to get the latest readings from the sensor.

At the beginning of the updateCamera function I have an if statement that says if (JTrackIR.isOperational==false) JTrackIR.setDeveloperID( 14801 ); (Not 100% sure what relevance the 14802 has but that was in the sample code which worked :P).

So my thinking was that with this code I would get a very nasty hack way of getting head roll from my DIY Rift. However in practice it doesn't work. JtrackIR never get's activated. In the demo code the jtrackir.dll has to be in the same folder as the java file. But i'm not sure where it needs to be placed for minecrift. I have tried several locations but I think I am missing something. Does this dll file need to be compiled into the build somewhere so it gets extracted to the natives folder at runtime?

I know this is not the correct way of doing this but I am happier messing around with stuff than waiting to see if someone else does it for me :). Maybe once I have read the next 700odd pages I'll know a bit more!

Thanks, Matt.
Awesome!
Few things:
1. We already have a plugin infrastructure, so you really should develop it as that so you can easily merge the changes upstream (to us) when you've got it working.
Implementing the IHeadOrientationProvider and ICenterEyePositionProvider is exactly what you want to do. It really is easy, and you don't have to screw around with our carefully tuned camera code ;)
2. The dll needs to be somewhere that the java system property (You've ready about those, right?) "java.library.path" points to. If that property is empty, I think it uses c:/windows/ etc.
However, a properly set up mcp/development enviornment should use mcp804/jars/versions/1.6.2/1.6.2-natives/ as the java.library.path. Dump it in there to make it work temporarily.
3. Eventually, if we use this, it'll need its own minecraft library so that the natives are properly extracted (they are every time the game launches). Refer to an installed version of minecrift. As an example, look in the json file at $minecraft/versions/minecrift-1.6.2-bXYZ/ and search for for JRiftLibrary, then look at the jar in $minecraft/libraries/de/fruitfly/ovr/JRiftLibrary/ and let me know if that makes sense.

Ninja edit: the item #3 is exactly what you should do to modify the sixense.dll
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Jademalo wrote:#80 doesn't seem to work, instant black screen when I launch it using the exe install and the launcher.

Also, that makes sense I guess, but my love for consistency is making me twitch =p
Would it not be better to use the versions directory rather than the libs directory for the de-META-INF'd 1.6.2 though?

EDIT: It's just clicked why you've done that, but I'm still not a fan of having the mc jar in the libs folder. Ah well, to each his own. (I'm totally modifying my install lol)
Jade, do you have a development console text dump available for #80 to post up?
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

StellaArtois wrote:
Jademalo wrote:#80 doesn't seem to work, instant black screen when I launch it using the exe install and the launcher.

Jade, do you have a development console text dump available for #80 to post up?

Hang on...
If I delete the settings, I see the initial settings screen. If I enable VR, it goes black and stays black. I've tried #79 too, same issue.

http://pastebin.com/QEjtddq9
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

And you don't have your Rift as yet do you? So no Rift attached (obviously!)?

EDIT: the log shows no crash. I think the menu is just out of view...
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

StellaArtois wrote:And you don't have your Rift as yet do you? So no Rift attached (obviously!)?

If I click in the same place again, it lets me turn it off. When it then comes back, theres a really cool FoV zoom effect.
And no, I don't have my rift yet since Oculus decided to do another US batch... Grumble grumble 47k grumble
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Jademalo wrote:
StellaArtois wrote:And you don't have your Rift as yet do you? So no Rift attached (obviously!)?

If I click in the same place again, it lets me turn it off. When it then comes back, theres a really cool FoV zoom effect.
And no, I don't have my rift yet since Oculus decided to do another US batch... Grumble grumble 47k grumble
Bizarre! :?

Are all these issues before or after you were playing around with the installed files? ;)
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

StellaArtois wrote:Bizarre! :?

Are all these issues before or after you were playing around with the installed files? ;)
Hahaha, before!
It's a fresh MC install with a fresh Minecrift install.

As it happens after poking around with the new launcher, the library loading thing is pretty sweet. I can't help but dislike the full 1.6.2 as a library, but I can see how it saves on space. Equally though, most people aren't going to have too many differing versions installed, so I can't see it being that massive of an issue really. It's a shame you can't use the one that's already nicely in /versions/1.6.2
I also can't figure out what I hate more - Duplicated content in the /versions/ folder in every minecrift config, or having the game versions in the library folder... I'm so torn :|
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

mabrowning wrote:
Croccy22 wrote: The Java code just has some simple mehods getRoll, getPitch, getYaw, getX, getY and getZ. This would also give people the option of using positional tracking through FreePIE too :)

Thanks, Matt.
Awesome!
Few things:
1. We already have a plugin infrastructure, so you really should develop it as that so you can easily merge the changes upstream (to us) when you've got it working.
Implementing the IHeadOrientationProvider and ICenterEyePositionProvider is exactly what you want to do. It really is easy, and you don't have to screw around with our carefully tuned camera code ;)
2. The dll needs to be somewhere that the java system property (You've ready about those, right?) "java.library.path" points to. If that property is empty, I think it uses c:/windows/ etc.
However, a properly set up mcp/development enviornment should use mcp804/jars/versions/1.6.2/1.6.2-natives/ as the java.library.path. Dump it in there to make it work temporarily.
3. Eventually, if we use this, it'll need its own minecraft library so that the natives are properly extracted (they are every time the game launches). Refer to an installed version of minecrift. As an example, look in the json file at $minecraft/versions/minecrift-1.6.2-bXYZ/ and search for for JRiftLibrary, then look at the jar in $minecraft/libraries/de/fruitfly/ovr/JRiftLibrary/ and let me know if that makes sense.

Ninja edit: the item #3 is exactly what you should do to modify the sixense.dll
Thanks for the info. I will look into the plugin infrastructure eventually but at page 200 of Java for dummies there is still a few things I need to understand (Done classes, objects, methods, constructors, super/sub classes, extending classes. Not done anything about interfaces or implements yet!).

I guess I also need to look into Github at some point as i've never used that before apart from downloading stuff.

I'm hoping the whole FreePIE thing plays out and we can emulate the Hydra. But I still want to learn Java a bit better as I only ever wrote Android apps before. If I can get to the point where I can write a new input plugin I would consider my goal complete :P

Thanks, Matt.

PS: Just looking at your info about step 3 and yes it looks to make sense. Was searching for ages yesterday for those DLL Files! :P
Last edited by Croccy22 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Jademalo wrote:As it happens after poking around with the new launcher, the library loading thing is pretty sweet. I can't help but dislike the full 1.6.2 as a library, but I can see how it saves on space. Equally though, most people aren't going to have too many differing versions installed, so I can't see it being that massive of an issue really. It's a shame you can't use the one that's already nicely in /versions/1.6.2
I also can't figure out what I hate more - Duplicated content in the /versions/ folder in every minecrift config, or having the game versions in the library folder... I'm so torn :|
Maybe we can request Mojang give us the best of both worlds: allow us to specify "base-version" in the json and have it disable class verification on their class loader so I don't have to create the first copy in the libraries folder.
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Croccy22 wrote: Thanks for the info. I will look into the plugin infrastructure eventually but at page 200 of Java for dummies there is still a few things I need to understand (Done classes, objects, methods, constructors, super/sub classes, extending classes. Not done anything about interfaces or implements yet!).

I guess I also need to look into Github at some point as i've never used that before apart from downloading stuff.

I'm hoping the whole FreePIE thing plays out and we can emulate the Hydra. But I still want to learn Java a bit better as I only ever wrote Android apps before. If I can get to the point where I can write a new input plugin I would consider my goal complete :P

Thanks, Matt.
Out of curiosity, does the build system work for you? Or have you not tested your code changes yet, just hacking on the files?

Interfaces are really simple; they just specify methods signatures that all classes that "implement" the interface must provide definitions for. Think of it like a base class without any method bodies. You'll get there! Java isn't the best language in the world, but it is the 2nd most popular. ;)
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

mabrowning wrote:
Jademalo wrote:As it happens after poking around with the new launcher, the library loading thing is pretty sweet. I can't help but dislike the full 1.6.2 as a library, but I can see how it saves on space. Equally though, most people aren't going to have too many differing versions installed, so I can't see it being that massive of an issue really. It's a shame you can't use the one that's already nicely in /versions/1.6.2
Maybe we can request Mojang give us the best of both worlds: allow us to specify "base-version" in the json and have it disable class verification on their class loader so I don't have to create the first copy in the libraries folder.
That would be nice - Maybe also setting the environment like present, but being able to set modification packs that use the same system with libs etc. Heck, even a little configurable interface under the profile (Not the version) that lets you load extra libraries.
I would say "Ah, they'll sort it out eventually" but knowing Mojang...
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Well, this launcher is actually a very nice step forward towards their Mod API. I was skeptical at first, but they're tackling the infrastructure first before a specification.

My biggest concern is that the ModAPI is just going to be too limited. We'll all end up doing stuff like this or using Forge, anyway. But, we can still take advantage of their work. The current launcher made the installer possible and super-easy, for example. And after all, it does *work*. Its just not as elegant as we purist might like ;) But for joe-schmoe, it'll "just work" (provided I've written my json correctly and copy stuff around as needed).

However, once we start adding "optional plugins", that'll probably need to be done at the json level. Having a way to toggle libraries in the launcher itself would be pretty nice.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

True, your installer is very nice for the end user.

After figuring out my options, I decided to copy all of the current versions into that same lib folder as you have setup, and im gonna get my mod packs working later through that launcher. It's not pretty, but it works I guess.

One question I have that you might be able to answer; In the json files, what's the difference between . separating folder structure and : ?
For example, "name": "net.sf.jopt-simple:jopt-simple:4.5"
In the libs folder, these are all nested directories. what defines the need for a . and a : ?

I'm curious because it will help me to be able to make little mod config scripts which will be pretty nice. One thing I adore about this new launcher is changing the save etc directory, it works so much better than MagicLauncher's workaround.
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Jademalo wrote:True, your installer is very nice for the end user.

After figuring out my options, I decided to copy all of the current versions into that same lib folder as you have setup, and im gonna get my mod packs working later through that launcher. It's not pretty, but it works I guess.

One question I have that you might be able to answer; In the json files, what's the difference between . separating folder structure and : ?
For example, "name": "net.sf.jopt-simple:jopt-simple:4.5"
In the libs folder, these are all nested directories. what defines the need for a . and a : ?

I'm curious because it will help me to be able to make little mod config scripts which will be pretty nice. One thing I adore about this new launcher is changing the save etc directory, it works so much better than MagicLauncher's workaround.

"Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

mabrowning wrote:"Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Thanks!

Return to “Minecrift”