cheap alternative for Oculus Rift

technomaniak997
One Eyed Hopeful

cheap alternative for Oculus Rift

Post by technomaniak997 »

Hi,

Is there alternative product in price <= Oculus Rift (and available)? Maybe actually this product is the best near this price?

Regards,
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: cheap alternative for Oculus Rift

Post by Parallaxis »

Oculus Rift is the cheap alternative. Other HMDs for consumers costs many many times more and are useless for VR.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

If you already own a large mobile phone or small tablet, then you may be able to make a cheaper alternative using that as a screen. But it won't be as good, and it won't have the same level of software support.

Otherwise, the Oculus Rift really is the cheap alternative.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

2EyeGuy wrote:If you already own a large mobile phone or small tablet, then you may be able to make a cheaper alternative using that as a screen. But it won't be as good, and it won't have the same level of software support.

Otherwise, the Oculus Rift really is the cheap alternative.
Ha wah? Current level of software support for Rift is close to none. Using a phone with splashtop unleashes SBS support.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

Go make a DIY Rift, is really stupid advise for anyone but the most hardcore enthusiasts... It will be worth absolutely nothing without the right tracking or SDK. Waste of time.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
3devious
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3devious »

Parallaxis wrote:Oculus Rift is the cheap alternative. Other HMDs for consumers costs many many times more and are useless for VR.
That is exactly what I was thinking. Even that Vuzix video display doesn't do head tracking and costs more.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

technomaniak997 wrote:Hi,

Is there alternative product in price <= Oculus Rift (and available)? Maybe actually this product is the best near this price?

Regards,

Development of the oculus Rift was BECAUSE the current VR headsets are both VERY expensive and very limited.

If you wish to see what the effect may look like (without any kind of headtracking) then there are $5 or $10 goggles that let you place your phone in them as a screen and you can play the Youtube Rift videos and see the 3D effect pretty well.

I have a Hasbro my3D that I got for $5 clearance that works great for watching the videos.

But if you want headtracking and game support then the entry fee is $300 right now.
Machinima
Cross Eyed!

Post by Machinima »

technomaniak997 wrote:Hi,

Regards,
Its not just the best at this price or lower, its the only full motion tracking large FOV HMD in anything even close to this price range. It really is a one horse race at the moment I'm afraid.
technomaniak997
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by technomaniak997 »

Thank to everyone for your attention to this matter. I have another question:

If I want buy Oculus Rift Dev ver., how long (circle about) I must wait? Is that accesible as "from time to time" or to spend reserves?

Regards,
LukePoga
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by LukePoga »

6 months wait
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

technomaniak997 wrote:Thank to everyone for your attention to this matter. I have another question:

If I want buy Oculus Rift Dev ver., how long (circle about) I must wait? Is that accesible as "from time to time" or to spend reserves?

Regards,
Palmer is quoted as of yesterday that all pre-orders up to a week or so ago will be delivered in May.

So my guess would be June for orders now.
EAPidgeon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by EAPidgeon »

Palmer confirmed this (Shipping), and this is represented by how the Pre-Orders page expected shipping date has changed to June. While many of us were "skeptical" before of the expected shipping date, it seems Palmer and team believe it's an accurate date according to current production and schedule.

I won't bring up the "wait for the consumer one", but I will say if you intend to order one now, I highly suggest taking up learning UDK and possibly a supplementary coding language, after-all the hardware itself is an amazing opportunity, but being able to use the hardware as a tool to experience what you create, is what I feel the most rewarding.

Anyhow Link to Pre-Orders https://www.oculusvr.com/pre-order/
loxai
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by loxai »

using the phone+headset (e.g. google cardboard) combo there is Android Rift... well, it is in early beta (I released it today :) ) and has room for improvement, but works with games like Arma, Condor or Rise of flight. Also Dear esther and others, but without the tracking part... I'm looking for some feedback and extra testing, details and download here: http://oddsheepgames.com/?page_id=134

Return to “Oculus VR”