Modified SixenseUnityPlugin_1.0 to work with Unity Free

vannoo67
One Eyed Hopeful

Modified SixenseUnityPlugin_1.0 to work with Unity Free

Post by vannoo67 »

Hi Folks,

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I am pretty excited and I have to tell someone. (I know the most polite place to do this would be on the sixense forum, but I can't bare to wait for my registration to be moderated).

Inspired by mscoder671 in http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 40#p111143,
I have successfully modifed SixenseUnityPlugin_1.0 ( https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/7953 ) to work with Unity Free.

I simply copied 'sixense.dll' to the application root folder and modified 'SixenseInput/Scripts/SixensePlugin.cs',
changing all DllImport calls to reference "sixense.dll" instead of "sixense"

DllImport( "sixense", EntryPoint = "sixenseInit" )]
=>
DllImport( "sixense.dll", EntryPoint = "sixenseInit" )]

That's it.
Start the game. No more 'License error, Plugins are only supported in Unity Pro'

Point the left controller at the base and pull the trigger, do the same for the right controller. Click the Start button on each controller.

Slap them together - HIGH FIVE!

Any ideas why Sixense don't do it this way?
Last edited by vannoo67 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Modified SixenseUnityPlugin_1.0 to work with Unity Free

Post by virror »

Great job!
Maybe they don't know its possible? Or they have some deal with Unity?
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Expect that bug to be removed in the next Unity update...
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

vannoo67 wrote:Any ideas why Sixense don't do it this way?
Because working around an intentional limitation in Unity would not be good for any relationship they might have/want with Unity and would mean they wouldn't be able to distribute the plugin through the asset store.
vannoo67
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vannoo67 »

Yeah, Danny pretty much said the same thing
Because we value our relationship with Unity.
at http://sixense.com/forum/vbulletin/show ... eeding-Pro

Is there a specific clause in the Unity / Unity Asset Store license that I or Sixense would be breaching to do it this way?
vannoo67
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vannoo67 »

I'm going to shut up about this now. Sixense and Unity consider it to be an exploit.
(Silly me, I thought it was a work-around)

I intend to exploit the exploit while I am skilling-up with Unity. When my Rift arrives, I'll get the 4 month trial. If Unity 4.x Free doesn't support plugins by the end of the trial, I'll bight the $1500.

I'm kinda hoping that the rumors are true that Unity is considering dropping the Pro requirement for plugins.
(and that this means that Rift + Hydra will work out of the box in the free version)

I believe that this will bring a lot of the Indie/Hobbyist developers back to Unity.
Which IMHO is a far more approachable / rational / (not to mention the asset store) system than UDK.
(End Shameless plug for Unity which I really love, even though they really pissed me off.)

Return to “Oculus VR”