Tuscany Razer Hydra Demo

Jose
Cross Eyed!

Re: Tuscany Razer Hydra Demo

Post by Jose »

I just played this.

I spent a good few minutes just knocking on the walls and tables because of the weird sensations I was getting in my knuckles. I also felt proud of myself for lifting one of those large potted plants over the balcony. The y-axis translation for crouching was very cool. This demo actually made me a little sick. Best demo so far.
totallymichael
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by totallymichael »

One thing I think should be added to the physics system in this demo is the ability to pick up heavier things while using both hands. I was able to knock over and set back up the bigger planter, but I felt like I should've been able to bear hug it and move it around. Anyway, I'm still having a blast with this.
Nyrad2k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nyrad2k »

Even tough i ordered a Rift on the first day of the kickstarter i'm still on the fence of getting the hydra. Its not about the price, it seems reasonable with around € 50. But i fear that it just has not enough software support for now - especially things that also support the Rift (~ or are planed to support the Rift). I mean that thing came out a few years ago and i just fear that it could be another plastic peripheral that is laying around the house and doesnt get used...

So for all the people that use it now with Tuscany or used it the years before - is it worth it?

PS.: i'm also a Gallery Supporter and that of course could sweeten the deal
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

I'm on the fence, too. Not sure why. I guess I'd like to see how people do playing extended sessions with them. Are most users going to find them not worth the effort?

I bought a steering wheel for racing games a long, long time ago. It is a FANTASTIC way to play racing games.

But a year or so later I realized I had stopped setting it up and was playing with the keyboard/mouse.

I've certainly been wrong before. But I'm playing wait-and-see on this one.
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

The truth is that there is nothing like Hydra out there. So there is only Hydra to choose from. You cannot use your mouse/keyboard/gamepad to interact 1:1 in the VR space. Period.

But I can understand that you wan't to wait for Hydra 2 or another similar device made for VR only.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

If you're on the fence about it, I'd actually wait a month or two and see if they announce a Hydra2. If you have the money though, the hydra is a lot of fun to play with, especially as a developer.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

If you are a developer, then the Hydra is 100% worth getting. If you are just a gamer, maybe it's not as useful.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

In games that don't support it, can the Hydra still be used at a bare minimum, like a Xbox360 controller ? By that I mean, programe it's buttons as keyboard keys, use one of it's sticks for movement (W-A-S-D) and the other stick for look ?
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Yes.
Lookforyourhands
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Lookforyourhands »

Parallaxis wrote:The truth is that there is nothing like Hydra out there. So there is only Hydra to choose from. You cannot use your mouse/keyboard/gamepad to interact 1:1 in the VR space. Period.

But I can understand that you wan't to wait for Hydra 2 or another similar device made for VR only.
This.

The Hyrda is amazing for gaming, takes a few minutes of getting used to but I would personally never use a mouse and keyboard again.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Lookforyourhands wrote:
Parallaxis wrote:The truth is that there is nothing like Hydra out there. So there is only Hydra to choose from. You cannot use your mouse/keyboard/gamepad to interact 1:1 in the VR space. Period.

This.

The Hyrda is amazing for gaming, takes a few minutes of getting used to but I would personally never use a mouse and keyboard again.
It's not much by itself in my opinion, but the Hyrda combined with the Rfit will be gaming bliss! ;)
Thodder7
Cross Eyed!

Post by Thodder7 »

I have always been fine with mouse and keyboard, however I did order a Hydra. Mainly for the RIFT + Hydra combo. I'm really excited to try it out with the RIFT. :)
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

Finally tried this demo with my Hydra and 3d projector setup with 3dVision. It was a lot of fun, even though calibrating the hands seemed to be a pain, I'm sure that will get better in the future. I stood fairly close to a 100" projector and being able to pull books right next to my face was a lot of fun.

Does seem like it would be a lot better with headtracking though, using the joystick to look around was kind of a pain. Can't wait for my Rift in June (maybe May if I'm lucky).
Lookforyourhands

Yeah it seems like they designed the demo for really tall people, because unless I hold the hydra almost above my head when
calibrating, I can't pick up anything from the ground ! (Hand wont reach)
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

I escaped using the plank to get over the wall and went searching for easter eggs but Sixence didnt leave me any :cry:
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

Hahahaa :lol: congratulations!

Glad to see that plank being made use of.
Lookforyourhands

"I escaped using the plank to get over the wall and went searching for easter eggs but Sixence didnt leave me any "

LOL
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

:lol: Awesome screenshot!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

HahAHa!!! You win!!!
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

I showed my brother the Tuscany demo with my hydra then went out for bout an hour then came back and this was my desktop wallpaper.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Hey mattyeatsmatts, I'm a single guy, thats not how I trash a house, thats how I clean a house..Well I'm not an animal, I would have put a rug over it... :D
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

He should have pulled a log from the fire......and got that pile going.

I mean, if you are going to make a big pile... and a fire is right near by..then the next step does indeed present itself.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

I don't know if this was mentioned, but the sure fire technique to launching big objects great distances is to hurl them upward and backward over your shoulder.

I often turn around to see my barrels sailing clear over the house and into the wild blue yonder!
Tirregius
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tirregius »

mattyeatsmatts wrote:I showed my brother the Tuscany demo with my hydra then went out for bout an hour then came back and this was my desktop wallpaper.
Watch this...

[Esc]

Done.
OutatimeTV
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OutatimeTV »

@mattyeatsmatts

Great pictures. :lol:
The demo seems like lots of fun. ;)

Now can someone stack up a very high tower outside of the house with all the stuff please ? 8-)
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

For some reason my tuscany demo goes into windows desktop sometimes if I hit both the trigger/grab buttons at the same time.
Really disturbing for peoples eyes. Running win8 currently and the motioncreator 2.0 drivers.
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

That happens to me only when I'm running Razer's drivers in addition to Sixense's. Do you see the weird black circle with green squiggles inside on your task bar? Right click on that and close it.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

There's a way to tell if the old Razer drivers are still loaded by looking for a specific process in the task manager but I forgot which one it is.

That's the part where you hit the reply button and tell us which one it is. Yes, you!
OutatimeTV
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OutatimeTV »

Namielus wrote:For some reason my tuscany demo goes into windows desktop sometimes ...
Really disturbing for peoples eyes.
Do it like Cymatic Bruce in his videos: Create a riftview desktop background so people don't get too shocked. ;)
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

My roommate is a VR pyro lol. http://youtu.be/xFtB6QKLVSI
Check out this forum for a beta driver to get existing games working with the Rift.
Official Vireio Perception Driver Forum http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=141
Support these games on Steam Greenlight them http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92979040
Rig Specs - MS Windows Ultimate, i5 3470, 16 GB RAM, 2x AMD 1GB 5850 HD crossfired, SATA2 HD
Lookforyourhands

^ lol.

I stepped into the demo tonight again after a few days away from it and I immediately noticed how much more natural it felt.
Like my brain was relearning it while I was away.
The hydra is truly an extension of your arm in the virtual space, for a moment my brain couldn't figure out why I couldn't feel the
sensation of dribbling the basketball. The visual system is entirely fooled by the information it's processing and the brain can't
distinguish it from reality. It's that good. For me those are the moments that I love about this technology. I really wish I was a
programmer because I'm constantly coming up with ideas that and games/applications that one could implement with this.
It's just too cool. Can't stress enough how amazing this tech demo is and I haven't even tried it with a Rift yet ! Just my Sony HMD.
Nyrad2k
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Nyrad2k »

Looks like the German Razer Store is sold out on Hydras...
Laserschwert
Cross Eyed!

Post by Laserschwert »

My Hydra (from the German store) arrived yesterday :)
o1113199
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by o1113199 »

Does anyone have this version left? They updated the site and deleted it.
https://web.archive.org/web/20151102153 ... uscanydemo

Return to “Oculus VR”