First Impressions From Rift Owners

crespo80
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: First Impressions From Rift Owners

Post by crespo80 »

Great video indeed!
Real TF2 Rift game footage from a real TF2 gamer, he's both excited and critic, the good attitude from a passionate tech guy.
The most critic was the owner of the rift (he was also a little jelaous of his TF2 skills :mrgreen: )
Best Rift review till now, deep and passionate!
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

I'd love to see there guys with the Hydra/Rift combo playing with the Tuscany Sixence demo. I'm pretty sure they will do that in a short time.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

If any Rift owners are looking for more stuff to try out, someone on Reddit just posted a cool little Unity demo: http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments ... available/
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

I love these guys, but I have to wonder if the asian guy's job is to be misinformed. I haven't seen one tested video where we hasn't gotten at least one of his facts horribly wrong, if not more.
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

These reactions are pretty great, but for people who were reading Snow Crash in middle school the reactions are pretty predictable. It'd be great to see a video of someone surprised by it, maybe someone who doesn't even know what the thing does.

People argue that playing games is such a huge thing, but I still rarely see it. iPhones, sure whatever but that's a step below poker in terms of "new medium" style environments. How do complete non-gamers react to being transported to low-res Narnia? I've just always thought that immersive games were more universal as an art form and the next step up from film, who wouldn't want to live in a dream world and interact with a fantastic story?

As an aside, I saw some guys amazing desktop setup with lighting and projectors complete with matrix code on his monitors and started thinking about the theatrics of the Rift. Rather than it being a mundane thing you try in a kitchen with a laptop, I wonder what it'd be like in a different setting for the first time, with curtains or something.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

unsilentwill wrote:As an aside, I saw some guys amazing desktop setup with lighting and projectors complete with matrix code on his monitors and started thinking about the theatrics of the Rift. Rather than it being a mundane thing you try in a kitchen with a laptop, I wonder what it'd be like in a different setting for the first time, with curtains or something.
I am now picturing a transition room. This room is modeled in VR, such that putting on the rift feels like putting on glasses(which somehow make the world lower-res), but it visually corresponds to the real world. Then you peel away the transition environment(maybe an animation where the walls open up or fly apart or something) and places you in the virtual world.
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

thanks for that video link. Please please please, more people who actually have the Rift we need you to post videos on youtube of your impressons and such that would really help dont be afraid to, your not under any NDA and i think it would be helpful to all of us :-) the few videos ive seen so far have been very nice. :-).

(more "through the headset" videos would be fun too!)
Tirregius
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tirregius »

Drewbdoo wrote:I love these guys, but I have to wonder if the asian guy's job is to be misinformed. I haven't seen one tested video where we hasn't gotten at least one of his facts horribly wrong, if not more.
He kept insisting that "astigmatism" is defined as a person with different prescriptions for left and right eye in various clips @ GDC. :shock:
He also said more than once in the above video that the adjustment on the side(s) of the rift "move the lenses closer or further from the screen." :lol:

Can't someone just say something to him during the show? That is BIG misinformation, where the "eye proximity" adjustment is concerned. He explained that it is exactly a focus adjustment!! If that was the first vid I saw, I'd be "very curious as to why the Rift has 3 different sets of lens distancers (2 for) for nearsightedness AND a focus adjustment on the side that looks clunky and crude (if it were a focus adjustment), with no particular demarcations for the adjustment" (which, of course it is not.)

I will be very wary of anything that is said by that host in interviews or exposes.
Last edited by Tirregius on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valez
Cross Eyed!

Post by Valez »

Tirregius wrote: He also said more than once in the above video that the adjustment on the side(s) of the rift "move the lenses closer or further from the screen." :lol:
Technically it does. ;)
To be fair, Norman is one of the more informed/involved interviewers/hosts and one of the few so far that
actually does some research before interviews. He may had some slipups but nothing major.
So far im pretty impressed with the tested.com guys.
Tirregius
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tirregius »

Double post.
Last edited by Tirregius on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tirregius
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tirregius »

Tirregius wrote:
Valez wrote:
Tirregius wrote: He also said more than once in the above video that the adjustment on the side(s) of the rift "move the lenses closer or further from the screen." :lol:
Technically it does. ;)
To be fair, Norman is one of the more informed/involved interviewers/hosts and one of the few so far that
actually does some research before interviews. He may had some slipups but nothing major.
So far im pretty impressed with the tested.com guys.
Its fine for the most part. Edit: In some cases, he'd be better off letting others talk about the tech-end of stuff and be a conduit for the expert. I do want to give him props for his opinionated and informed perspective on the business end of things. He does seem to be a real tech biz aficionado. I, like most of you, have been following every bit of news, etc. about Oculus and, honestly, I've been on several occasions a bit frustrated with him as he had sometimes been corrected (or someone made an attempt to, and he seemed to not respond or consider the correction. I appreciate your perspective, but he got a lot wrong I. The stuff I've been following.

No biggie. Happens a lot. Also happens that optics and display hardware a kinda second-nature to me so maybe I'm being g overly critical. So Norm, if you are listening, I enjoy you show, just maybe hear out you buddies here and there that are trying to set something straight.

OK back on topic. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Tirregius on Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Valez wrote:
Technically it does. ;)
I was under the impression that the adjustment dials on the sides of the rift moved the entire lens/panel assembly forwards and backwards, without altering the distance between lens and panel?

edit: Unless you mean the monitor on the desk. In which case... :ugeek:
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

I have a Diy Rift and one thing I will love having when I get my Dev.Kit. Rift, is the screen and eye adjustments that were show in that video. {I mean the adjustment added into TF2, not just the physical unit adjustments}
I could tell he was having no wonky eye problems playing TF2 for just over 30min's.
My Diy Rift is great fun, but those eye adjustments will be so very welcomed.

Like they said in the video, it would be great if Oculus had thier own set it up and forget it, calibration software programe that would save setting for other games.
Last edited by 3dvison on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
T_K_23
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by T_K_23 »

Apparently a TF2 update was released a few hours ago that improves Hydra compatibility in VR mode. Is there anyone who has both products that can try it out?
Tirregius
Cross Eyed!

Post by Tirregius »

3dvison wrote:Like they said in the video, it would be great if Oculus had thier own set it up and forget it, calibration software programe that would save setting for other games.
This is in the works for the very near future, according to Palmer, if I heard correctly.
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

Great write-up from alkapwn:

Alkapwn wrote:Ok, so I just spent the past few hours with the Rift. I showed it off to a bunch of my fellow workers as well. My thoughts and notes below on some various things.

Co-workers
Some had no idea what the Rift even was, while a few had previous knowledge of the Rift, mostly because I haven't stopped talking about it since Carmack's E3 demo last year (pre-kickstarter backer). They were pretty much all blown away by the responsiveness of the Rift. The resolution is quite noticeable for the first part while you're getting acclimated to the environment, but after that, it's mostly a non-issue. Gamers and non-gamers had a run through it. I hope to run more people through the demos tomorrow at lunch or after work now that I have things a bit more organized and my xbox controller sync working.

Tuscany Demo
By far the most immersive demo that I've tried so far. At it's best when you're looking in/out of the windows, walking through the house, balcony, or when the fluffy debris floats right into your face giving you a gentle startle. Everyone was trying to reach out and touch objects that weren't there. You feel genuinely frightened if you approach the balcony at a quick speed. It seems like you won't be able to stop in time and that you're going to topple right over the railing. The sense of scale with everything is just perfect.
We messed around with different movement speeds, character heights and rotation speeds. Each of these gave fascinating results. One favorite was a super tall character height with a faster speed and slower rotation while turning in an office chair with your feet off the ground. This gave the sense of flying around at fast speeds. And with a slower speed it felt like being inside a tiny helicopter that's flying around the courtyard.

Team Fortress 2
It does seem like the game is a little bit too fast paced for VR and the resolution seems to stand out more as a result of that. There are numerous control schemes for move/aim to try and find out which works best. I'll have to go through them all more in depth, weigh the pros and cons of each and then fine tune from there. The 3D is really solid. Looking around while your gun stays stationary is kind of surreal, yet so right. And when rockets fly by your face, well that's just a thing to behold. This game definitely seems to have a shorter play time ability, but that can probably be overcome with time.

Movement/Controls
Highly recommended that the person wearing the Rift is the one who is in control of the character movement. If not, a fun game to play is where one person wears the Rift, and the other moves the character left, right, forward and back really fast. The person wearing the Rift wins if they don't fall on their face. Best way I can describe it is like Jamiroquai's Virtual Insanity music video, on fast forward, mixed with the feeling of when you get off an escalator or conveyor belt at the airport. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JkIs37a2JE It's very strange to feel this knowing your feet are completely stationary. I swear I came close to the Michael Jackson lean.
Strafing seems to be the culprit for the vast majority of the motion sickness. I think it's harder for the brain to understand such a fast lateral motion because we don't strafe in real life that fast or as often. And the lateral motion/spin while moving forward isn't very natural at all.
I think the easiest and best way to solve this is to be standing and have completely independent controls for head an body rotation tracking. I would also suggest an additional tracker on the back or chest that would dictate rotation. And joystick would only control forward and lateral motions. All rotating done by body tracker and head tracking by Rift. One of the TF2 modes had something like this, with no cursor I believe. It's just too strange having the headset also dictate body rotation.

That's it for now. If anyone has any questions about those demos or the Rift in general, I'd be happy to answer/help with anything that I can.
space123321

Post by space123321 »

I have now received my Rift and even as a early creator of a DIY rift - it is amazing how far head tracking goes. I am simply blown away - I love experiencing and observing every fine details of the virual worlds.

The one issue that I have experienced is a horizontal line the is occasionally across my field of view. it changes as my FOV changes, however it is quite disracting at times. I have experienced it the most in the tuscany demo? Any ideas what this could be - it is noise from the screen that I am seeing or is it a rendering thing with the headtracking?

Thoughts?

I am also a Hydra owner and I am finding TF2 great to walk around in via the Hydra as long as I do not get to into the fast action in the game.
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

space123321 wrote:I have now received my Rift and even as a early creator of a DIY rift - it is amazing how far head tracking goes. I am simply blown away - I love experiencing and observing every fine details of the virual worlds.

The one issue that I have experienced is a horizontal line the is occasionally across my field of view. it changes as my FOV changes, however it is quite disracting at times. I have experienced it the most in the tuscany demo? Any ideas what this could be - it is noise from the screen that I am seeing or is it a rendering thing with the headtracking?

Thoughts?

I am also a Hydra owner and I am finding TF2 great to walk around in via the Hydra as long as I do not get to into the fast action in the game.
I am pretty sure this has been mentioned somewhere, can't remember if it were Reddit, Youtube or here. I remember the solution was to disable vsync.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

space123321 wrote:I have now received my Rift and even as a early creator of a DIY rift - it is amazing how far head tracking goes. I am simply blown away - I love experiencing and observing every fine details of the virual worlds.

Thoughts?

I can only guess that you are talking about tearing (the picture gets torn at a point and upper/lower half don't match so there is that horizontal line between them). If that is the case, then you need to look into V-Sync options and turn them on.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

Thoughts?

I had the same thing and it happened when I had Vsync enabled. It's not the standard no-Vsync screen tearing. It sort of looks like a screen tear, but it's one line that stays in the same place the whole time. It went away when I switched from having my Rift duplicate my primary monitor to extending my desktop to it. I'm not entirely sure why, though.
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

jack612 wrote:

Thoughts?

I had the same thing and it happened when I had Vsync enabled. It's not the standard no-Vsync screen tearing. It sort of looks like a screen tear, but it's one line that stays in the same place the whole time. It went away when I switched from having my Rift duplicate my primary monitor to extending my desktop to it. I'm not entirely sure why, though.
When I disable Aero, I notice that same sort of line (near the bottom, stays in the same place) in Media Player Classic with vsync on. With Aero on, there is no line. Do you have Aero disabled?
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

jf031 wrote:
jack612 wrote:

Thoughts?

When I disable Aero, I notice that same sort of line (near the bottom, stays in the same place) in Media Player Classic with vsync on. With Aero on, there is no line. Do you have Aero disabled?
Nope
space123321

Post by space123321 »

Turning off v-synch directly in my nvidia settings seemed to have corrected the line issue. Thanks!
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

space123321 wrote:Turning off v-synch directly in my nvidia settings seemed to have corrected the line issue. Thanks!
;)
www.AwesomeBlade.com
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

That line can occur when the vsync is being tied to your monitor instead of the Rift. Duplicating the view on your GPU can cause that, which is why Valve suggests you use a splitter.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Somewhere I had read about The making of TF2 for VR, and it talked about using a two output DVI splitter box? Does somthing like that, let you get away from having to mess with Desktop dual display settings ? At least for a mirrored display setup anyway. Was just wondering if a splitter can make life with a Rift Dev.Kit a little easier ?

EDIT..I can't believe Palmer just posted that ahead of me...Thanks Palmer...LOL
Mel

Post by Mel »

Just got my Rift today way up here in Canada, eh.

I haven't read this entire thread yet, so I don't know if what I'm about to say has been discussed already, but...

First impressions not good at all. The biggest issue, right out of the box, is that the entire image is super blurry. I have tried all three lens sets, and while the Cs are the best, they are all basically crap for me. I have twenty/twenty vision, so I don't know what the problem is. But I can tell you this: my homemade Rift's 5" display is *vastly* superior to the 7 incher in the developer unit. The screen-door effect is far less apparent (understandable, given the pixel density is higher), focus is perfectly sharp (due to my ability to adjust lens-2-LCD distance), and while I never did get a rotational sensor hooked up, I could spin around rapidly with the mouse and saw no discernible motion blur. With the develop unit, even the slightest head movement washes out the image over and above the severe static blurriness.

Not sure what I'm gonna do, as it's almost unusable for me. The bad focus makes my head hurt in under a minute.

I assume there's no way to move the lenses closer/further away from the screen, correct? Any other suggestions?
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Only suggestion I can think of (I built a 5.6" Diy Rift also) is that the lenses do have a sweet spot. I am sure you know this from reading about the Dev.Rift and Diying your own unit. Thought I would bring it up just in case somthing was off with your Dev.Rift..

I have seen electronic stuff shipped with a plastic protective covering that is on so perfect with no bubbles you don't even know it is there. That is a 1 in a million case, but maybe your the lucky winner this time.
Last edited by 3dvison on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Mel wrote:Just got my Rift today way up here in Canada, eh.

I haven't read this entire thread yet, so I don't know if what I'm about to say has been discussed already, but...

First impressions not good at all. The biggest issue, right out of the box, is that the entire image is super blurry. I have tried all three lens sets, and while the Cs are the best, they are all basically crap for me. I have twenty/twenty vision, so I don't know what the problem is. But I can tell you this: my homemade Rift's 5" display is *vastly* superior to the 7 incher in the developer unit. The screen-door effect is far less apparent (understandable, given the pixel density is higher), focus is perfectly sharp (due to my ability to adjust lens-2-LCD distance), and while I never did get a rotational sensor hooked up, I could spin around rapidly with the mouse and saw no discernible motion blur. With the develop unit, even the slightest head movement washes out the image over and above the severe static blurriness.

Not sure what I'm gonna do, as it's almost unusable for me. The bad focus makes my head hurt in under a minute.

I assume there's no way to move the lenses closer/further away from the screen, correct? Any other suggestions?
Did you try moving the screen back and forth with the flat head screws on each side of the rift?
Last edited by mattyeatsmatts on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LukePoga
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by LukePoga »

are you able to find the sweet spot? it should be an obvious difference.
Mel

Post by Mel »

LukePoga wrote:are you able to find the sweet spot? it should be an obvious difference.
Those screws move the lenses and screen as one unit and thus do not adjust the separation between the lenses and screen. I think the purpose of the screws is to allow bespectacled peeps to make room for their glasses.

I may try to tear the unit apart and see I can MacGyver my DIY screen and controller board into the dev unit's sweet face mask.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Mel wrote: I may try to tear the unit apart and see I can MacGyver my DIY screen and controller board into the dev unit's sweet face mask.
Don't get these ideas in my DIY head .

Is your DIY screen 5 inches or the 5.6 inch 1280*800 screen ?
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

@Mel - is your DIY screen the standard 5.6" Hydis panel? EDIT: Yep, what @3dvision said. lol
If so, you might be able to re-use the Rift's own controller, but it may require a cable mod.

Incidentally, does anyone know what type of screen the DK1 uses yet?

I wonder why the focus is quite so bad?
Does it seem like it's just a lens distance / focal point issue?
Are you able to get good focus with the stock lenses by holding the shallowest cup to the panel?
Mel

Post by Mel »

3dvison wrote:
Mel wrote: I may try to tear the unit apart and see I can MacGyver my DIY screen and controller board into the dev unit's sweet face mask.

It's 5.6", 1280x800.

Been trying the Tuscany demo some more, and I can tell thru the blurriness that this has some serious cool potential. I adjusted my height such that my head just skims under the beams of the short hallway at the top of the stairs, and I got quite a start thinking I was gonna bonk my coconut. Also, while standing outside, I looked up just as a piece of fluff came at my face from above, and I instinctively tried to blow it away while swinging my hand at it. :)
And another bizarre and awesome thing: I was standing beside the rock 'railing' on the balcony , and it felt so natural that I almost peeled the headset off with the intent of setting it down on the 'railing'. I had to make a conscious effort not to do it. Too friggin' weird.
Mel

Post by Mel »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:@Mel - is your DIY screen the standard 5.6" Hydis panel? EDIT: Yep, what @3dvision said. lol
If so, you might be able to re-use the Rift's own controller, but it may require a cable mod.

Incidentally, does anyone know what type of screen the DK1 uses yet?

I wonder why the focus is quite so bad?
Does it seem like it's just a lens distance / focal point issue?
Are you able to get good focus with the stock lenses by holding the shallowest cup to the panel?
No, my screen was ripped out of a photographer's picture viewer. I think the controller board is much different.
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

Mel wrote:
3dvison wrote:

It's 5.6", 1280x800.

Been trying the Tuscany demo some more, and I can tell thru the blurriness that this has some serious cool potential. I adjusted my height such that my head just skims under the beams of the short hallway at the top of the stairs, and I got quite a start thinking I was gonna bonk my coconut. Also, while standing outside, I looked up just as a piece of fluff came at my face from above, and I instinctively tried to blow it away while swinging my hand at it. :)
And another bizarre and awesome thing: I was standing beside the rock 'railing' on the balcony , and it felt so natural that I almost peeled the headset off with the intent of setting it down on the 'railing'. I had to make a conscious effort not to do it. Too friggin' weird.
Cool to see that your sense of "being there" is able to be triggered by an HMD. I remember you specifically stating that you didn't at all get that sense from your DIY Rift.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Interesting. What's the res / part number of that panel?
Mel

Post by Mel »

jf031 wrote: Cool to see that your sense of "being there" is able to be triggered by an HMD. I remember you specifically stating that you didn't at all get that sense from your DIY Rift.
You're correct...I did not get that sensation from my DIY. I think the angle sensor makes all the difference, and once we get some sort of position sensing, this thing's gonna be amazing. (I'm still POed about the bad focus, though).
Mel

Post by Mel »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:Interesting. What's the res / part number of that panel?
The only thing I can see without taking it all apart is:

BH-091
www.szxiafei.com

I didn't spend any time at that chinese web site, so I have no idea if the board is even there.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

jf031 wrote: Cool to see that your sense of "being there" is able to be triggered by an HMD. I remember you specifically stating that you didn't at all get that sense from your DIY Rift.
Hey mel, thats a good question, would you say the Dev.Rift is a better than the Diy Rift for the being there feeling ?

EDIT....NEVER MIND... :shock:

Return to “Oculus VR”