First Impressions From Rift Owners

mdrejhon
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: First Impressions From Rift Owners

Post by mdrejhon »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:Slightly OT here, but should give some people hope of reducing motion blur on the Rift...

@TheHolyChicken - Thanks so much for the Blur Busters vid!

I'll definitely be trying this when my 5.6" Hydis panel arrives.
The PWM control on the backlight will hopefully work at high speeds, so it shouldn't be too hard to emulate Lightboost style pulsing.

I'll see if I can extract a VSYNC signal from the Realtek chip on the LCD controller.
The rest should be simple enough, and would allow the mod to be contained in the control box with a simple toggle switch for Enable / Disable.

EDIT: Just a side thought - The firmware in the Realtek chip is programmable, so could feasibly be made to control the backlight PWM directly.
If the experiments prove fruitful, it might be possible for Oculus to release a firmware update for the control box. This would require a custom programming cable though.
(There are a few different controller chips, but the Rift dev kit appears to use the Realtek chip).

If this works on the Hydis panel, then it should be possible on the 7" dev panel too. ;)

The few issues I can see is that the stock backlight may not be bright enough while pulsing. It might be possible to boost that as well, or replace the LEDs?

Are there any electronics peeps out there with a Hydis panel who fancy trying this? (my panel is on the slow boat from China).
Hello,

I'm the owner of Blur Busters. There is now a new article.
Check out: Electronics Hacking: Creating a Strobe Backlight

There are some amazing information to be learned about how LightBoost works based on reverse engineering (vertical blanking interval lengthening techniques, late strobe phasing, Y-axis-compensated response time acceleration, etc).
BOLL
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by BOLL »

Haha, I figured I could put it in this thread :D My more summarized and complete Oculus Rift impressions from having used it for a couple of months! http://andreasaronsson.com/2013/09/01/o ... pressions/
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

@BOLL

Nice review man!

I think using 120Hz display would solve the blur if software developers can fine tune their applications to maintain 60FPS or above.
Moreover motion sickness can be a product of fast head tracking not complimented by screen again 120Hz display can help here.

Have you seen fast action sports or movie on ASUS VG278H with 144Hz rapid refresh rate and 2ms Response Time.I have seen this monitor at my friends office and compared it with my LG D2342P and i can say yes its VAST DIFFERENCE. may be answers lie in HIGH REFRESH RATE and HIGH PIXEL REFRESH RATE. Aren't there any 120Hz or above smaller panel on market yet?

Return to “Oculus VR”