Custom Oculus Rift Eyecups

zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Custom Oculus Rift Eyecups

Post by zalo »

So for those of you who already have Rifts, I think you're starting to realize that there is a lot that can be done by messing around with the eyecups.
photo111.JPG
After reading about foisi's fresnel triumphs, I thought I'd try out the fresnel route. I made the USC eyecup and glued two of these fresnel lenses together and got optics that are very close to the Rift's eye cups. Make sure to print the cup without a raft, otherwise it will be really difficult to slide into the Rift assembly.

Differences compared to the vanilla Eyecups:
  • Brought a lot more pixels into the FoV
  • Significantly lessened the screen-door effect :woot
  • Made the image slightly cloudier (but it's uniform so it's okay)
  • Surprisingly well focused
  • Warps the image a lot more around the far edges.
I'm really happy with how much more fidelity I can get out of the screen with a new eyecup that only costs me ~$5 in raw materials. It also makes me think that there is a whole world of upgrades that can be made to the rift with just the addition of a few eyecups. The extra Screen FoV is really impressive. I can see all the borders in TF2, so I'll have to recalibrate it for that. I'm printing out another eyecup as I type this post, so I can get the full experience. ;)

I hope more people try making custom lenses! It's exciting!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Custom Oculus Rift Eyecups

Post by geekmaster »

Two people (so far) have posted photos of their Rift Dev Kit with custom eyecups to the "Rift custom lens cups experiment" thread:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=16968

I quoted your post in that thread, to continue its coherency.

I tried fresnel lenses, but I mounted them directly over the eyecup clips (in place of eyecups), so they get a wider FoV by looking directly through the larger 2-inch holes. I used offset fresnel lens stacks, as described in my "fresnel lens stack" thread, and it worked quite well with my eyes as close to the lenses as possible, but requires a custom pre-warp to prevent VR objects from looking about 50-percent too wide (i.e. about 50% wider horizontal FoV than standard Rift lenses).
Last edited by geekmaster on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Custom Oculus Rift Eyecups

Post by zalo »

Oh shoot! I'm sorry! Can cyber or another mod move this post into that thread?

Return to “Oculus VR”