It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:43 am



Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
 Team Fortress 2 Oculus Patch released 
Author Message
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:55 am
Posts: 224
Location: Spain
http://store.steampowered.com/news/10180/

Quote:
Team Fortress 2
- Added support for running VR mode on the Oculus Rift


C'mon guys, start shipping!!!

_________________
Image
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community


Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:18 pm
Posts: 43
wow that's fast! i thought it'd be a little later this week since we only got the news yesterday.


Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:20 pm
Profile
Certif-Eyed!

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 639
such an innocuous bullet point, yet so full of meaning.


Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:34 pm
Profile
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:51 am
Posts: 173
Also there's a wiki about the rift for TF: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Virtual_Reality


Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:35 pm
Profile
Sharp Eyed Eagle!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:54 am
Posts: 450
that wiki is great i just wish you could set up most options for most games once per user. but it shows how much they've thought about making the experience as good and customisable as they could.


Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:51 pm
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:02 pm
Posts: 231
"Some very lucky folks never get any effects at all and can play for many hours. You are freaks and the rest of us are very jealous of you" :woot


Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:51 pm
Profile
Cross Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:59 am
Posts: 176
Dang! Update downloaded but it wont load without the tracker.
Any way to disable the tracker so I can at least benchmark it?

_________________
Congratulations! You're a backer of Among the Sleep by Krillbite Studio
Image


Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:58 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:07 pm
Posts: 28
"In the TF2 advanced video settings, make sure "Wait for vertical sync" is disabled."

Well, that goes against everything we've been told so far. Seems Valve prefer less latency vs a stable image.


Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:01 pm
Profile
Certif-Eyed!

Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 639
"In the TF2 advanced video settings, make sure "Wait for vertical sync" is disabled."
This is interesting. I thought Palmer said that vsync was very desirable in VR


Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:06 pm
Profile
Sharp Eyed Eagle!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:28 am
Posts: 370
Location: Denmark
Drewbdoo wrote:
"Some very lucky folks never get any effects at all and can play for many hours. You are freaks and the rest of us are very jealous of you" :woot


That's probably me. I have tried all my life to experience seasickness and doing all that you are told to avoid. No luck, I just don't have that ability I think.

I get sick every time I drink alcohol though. And I have the worst hang overs lasting days. This is why I never drink anymore...

_________________
www.AwesomeBlade.com


Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:07 pm
Profile
Sharp Eyed Eagle!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:33 pm
Posts: 404
Location: Youngstown, OH
Image
Seriously, there are like a dozen of them, and it's already getting hard to locate threads worth paying attention to here.

EDIT: Right, I went back to "Active Topics" after posting this and saw two identical new threads about this - by Neil. *headdeskheaddesk*

_________________
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!


Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:11 pm
Profile
Cross Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 164
Parallaxis wrote:
Drewbdoo wrote:
"Some very lucky folks never get any effects at all and can play for many hours. You are freaks and the rest of us are very jealous of you" :woot


That's probably me. I have tried all my life to experience seasickness and doing all that you are told to avoid. No luck, I just don't have that ability I think.

I get sick every time I drink alcohol though. And I have the worst hang overs lasting days. This is why I never drink anymore...

I think there was research done by the military linked here once. People susceptible to seasickness can be fine in VR simulations, and conversely those resistant to seasickness can puke buckets when in VR. With seasickness it's a matter of your vestibular system being stimulated without visual cues (which is why they say to look at the horizon). In VR it's the complete opposite, your brain is visually told that it's moving but your vestibular system says nay.


Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:14 pm
Profile
Two Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:21 pm
Posts: 53
do you know if car sickness would be closer to seasickness or VR sickness?

I can read in the back of a car upside down and be fine for hours

hopefully that translates to good VR endurance


Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:17 pm
Profile
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:01 am
Posts: 115
In Steam Library I have

Team Fortress 2
Team Fortress 2 Beta

What should I install?


Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:19 pm
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:07 am
Posts: 225
nateight wrote:
Image
Seriously, there are like a dozen of them, and it's already getting hard to locate threads worth paying attention to here.

EDIT: Right, I went back to "Active Topics" after posting this and saw two identical new threads about this - by Neil. *headdeskheaddesk*


:lol:


Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:20 pm
Profile
Cross Eyed!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 164
Pokey wrote:
do you know if car sickness would be closer to seasickness or VR sickness?

I can read in the back of a car upside down and be fine for hours

hopefully that translates to good VR endurance

Car sickness is related to sea sickness. You feel the G-forces and inclines, but you're staring down at a stationary scene (the book you're reading and the car interior beyond it).


Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:45 pm
Profile
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:29 pm
Posts: 176
Location: NZ
3dcoffee wrote:
In Steam Library I have

Team Fortress 2
Team Fortress 2 Beta

What should I install?



Team Fortress 2. Ignore the Beta one.


Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:06 pm
Profile
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:21 pm
Posts: 182
Its unfortunate that IPD and lens type are not driver settings and must be set ingame. This adds some development complexity and means that if they revise the hardware it will be necessary to change code in every game.


Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:12 pm
Profile
Cross Eyed!

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:01 am
Posts: 115
ChrisJD wrote:
3dcoffee wrote:
In Steam Library I have

Team Fortress 2
Team Fortress 2 Beta

What should I install?



Team Fortress 2. Ignore the Beta one.


Thank you!


Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:14 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:03 pm
Posts: 41
Location: London
Now that there is official source support, isnt it going to be real easy to get this setting working on other games, hl2, l4d etc. i mean the exe file for tf2 is hl2.exe
i know thers vorpx and verioperception or whatever its called, but im sure valve are going to do a better job for source games, first cos its their engine, but second cos they have had dev kits for a while


Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:51 pm
Profile
Certif-Eyed!

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:33 pm
Posts: 656
Firstly, Valve hasn't released source code yet, so no, it won't be any simpler for future implementations because of this.

Secondly, Valve made the whole experience very customizable with convars, so your experience depends entirely on your skill at adjusting the convars. Additionally, there are over 5 different control schemes you can set up with VR, so that further muddies the quality waters.

There's no telling if VALVE made a quality experience because YOU are the one who sets all the parameters. Once there is some play testing info, we'll know which convars work best with which configurations (people will undoubtedly start making guides telling you how to set the convars based on which lenses you're using, your IPD, and the way you've adjusted the lenses).


Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:54 pm
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:46 pm
Posts: 269
Honestly i want to see this working with the game Dark Messiah of M&M. That game was incredibly immersive and would translate awesomely to a VR experience.


Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:08 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:07 pm
Posts: 28
zalo wrote:
Firstly, Valve hasn't released source code yet, so no, it won't be any simpler for future implementations because of this.


I think he meant Valves Source Engine, not any actual source code. Now they have ported one of their games to the Rift, Valve now know what it will take, and therefore it will be easier for them, to port over their other Source Engine games as well.


Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:39 pm
Profile
Certif-Eyable!

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:32 pm
Posts: 1139
Owen wrote:
Its unfortunate that IPD and lens type are not driver settings and must be set ingame. This adds some development complexity and means that if they revise the hardware it will be necessary to change code in every game.

Yes, that's a bad decision. The driver should have a list of users, and for each user it should let you choose what IPD, lens cup, and dial setting they are using. Then it should let you change users and have that affect every game. The driver should also automatically handle differences between different Rift versions.

Other optional user settings should include: how tall they are, what disabilities they have (there was talk about compensating for various visual problems), perhaps the option to disable some of the Safety Protocols (maybe some people can handle cutscenes, camera shake or whatever?), what control scheme they prefer, and perhaps some avatar description (maybe like a Mii, or at least things like gender, for games like The Gallery that may have male and female avatars), favourite colour, etc.

The user settings should probably be extensible so you can add new settings later.


Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:13 pm
Profile
One Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:58 pm
Posts: 44
IGameArt wrote:
Honestly i want to see this working with the game Dark Messiah of M&M. That game was incredibly immersive and would translate awesomely to a VR experience.


Seconded. Love that game.


Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:20 pm
Profile
Petrif-Eyed
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 2652
spire8989 wrote:
Also there's a wiki about the rift for TF: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Virtual_Reality
They changed their wiki URL while I was reading it! After a web page refresh, that above linked page now suggested a different link, here:
http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Oculus_Rift_User_Guide wrote:
If you use the "A" vision lenses in the Rift, you don't need to do anything to let the game know. If you have switched to the "B" or "C" lenses, you will need to set the "oculus_lens_type" convar to "B" or "C" respectively.
It appears that they use DIFFERENT pre-warp adjustments for different Rift lenses. That means we need user-selectable pre-warp in our apps as well, or perhaps user-adjustable custom pre-warp (so our apps can also support various DIY Rift-clones).

_________________
“The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen.” ―Carl Ally


Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:31 pm
Profile
Two Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:44 pm
Posts: 55
I got "VR" mode to load by using -vr +sixense_enabled 1 with my Hydra. It didn't check for the tracker and loaded fine, didn't do any warping though, just SBS. I plugged in my sony HMZ T1 and played like 3 mins with my Hydra.. the SBS doesn't seem to work very well with the HMZ, I could not tell it was 3d at all. Possibly a convergence thing that's optimized for the RIFT.

Can't wait to get my RIFT, hopefully even with the tracker you can also use the Hydra.


Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:35 am
Profile
Certif-Eyable!

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:32 pm
Posts: 1139
K701 wrote:
I got "VR" mode to load by using -vr +sixense_enabled 1 with my Hydra. It didn't check for the tracker and loaded fine, didn't do any warping though, just SBS. I plugged in my sony HMZ T1 and played like 3 mins with my Hydra.. the SBS doesn't seem to work very well with the HMZ, I could not tell it was 3d at all. Possibly a convergence thing that's optimized for the RIFT.

Can't wait to get my RIFT, hopefully even with the tracker you can also use the Hydra.

Clever thinking. "-vr +sixense_enabled 1" works for me too. Even though I do have a Razer Hydra, the laptop I tried it on has never had any Razer Hydra stuff connected or installed, so it should work for everyone.

It doesn't seem to work properly though. It is in SBS mode, but it is 2D and there is no warping. Also none of the menus are in SBS, they are all fullscreen. So it is just glitched when you use that combination.

Which isn't too surprising. Sixense do all their own modifications to the Source engine and it uses a different code-path.


Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:26 am
Profile
Two Eyed Hopeful

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:21 pm
Posts: 80
http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Oculu ... User_Guide

:D


Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:39 am
Profile
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:55 am
Posts: 224
Location: Spain
Owen wrote:
Its unfortunate that IPD and lens type are not driver settings and must be set ingame. This adds some development complexity and means that if they revise the hardware it will be necessary to change code in every game.


I guess that eventually Oculus will develop an "Oculus Rift Control Panel" for Windows, where we will be able to set these parameters so games can get info from there. I think Valve implemented this as a temporary solution so we have something to play with when we get our developer kits.

_________________
Image
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community


Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:46 am
Profile WWW
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:38 am
Posts: 281
Location: Bellingham
kinda bummed i was hoping to check my framerate to see if have to beef up my system before my rift comes but i get a unable to pre-init vr tracker error. Guess i just have to wait


Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:51 pm
Profile YIM
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], ReiverBlue, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware.