questions for cyberreality

Kirito
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

questions for cyberreality

Post by Kirito »

the building where the oculus office is in does oculus hire it or does oculus bought the building?
if u would guess, how much do u think the building is worth?

the building looks very cool and nice so i hope if oculus will buy the whole thing in the future ( if they didnt already)

its ok if u cant answer cyber its just a question i was thinking about

cheers :D
Last edited by Kirito on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Re: questin for cyberreality

Post by GeraldT »

a) ... there are PMs for messages to members ;)

b) yeah they bought it, just enough space for 20 people :D
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Omarzuqo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Omarzuqo »

Although I can't answer, I do have a question for Cyber myself; a little question that doesn't deserve it's own thread, so I hope you don't mind me posting it here, Kirito.

So, Cyber: How long is the cable from the rift dev kit to the control box? I ask because I'm considering to use a slip ring on the celling to allow 360° turning without entangling myself.
You can also Greenlight other Rift games.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Cybereality whats the meaning of life? What will rift 8 in 2021 look like?
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Cyber, what's the key to winning all the ladies?
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

Cybereality, why are you so... cyber-realistic?

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Ok, well this can be the official "ask me anything" thread if you guys like.

@Kirito: No, we don't own the building. The building is huge, with lots of companies. We just have an office there.

@Omarzuqo: The cable from the Rift to the control box is not very long. Maybe 3 feet, I'm not sure.

@Namielus: The meaning of life is self-realization. This, of course, will mean something different for each person.

I'm not really supposed to talk about the Rift 8 yet, but it probably won't look like anything since it will be using nano-bots too small for the human eye to see.

@Drewbdoo: Well I'm not much of a ladies-man, but I imagine you could have all the ladies you desire in VR.

@Marulu: Through years of dedication to VR, stereo 3D, and all manners of cyberpunk fiction.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

I got the impression that Oculus has two different office locations. What's up with that?
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Hahaha well, in that case, I'll have to get up with that SXSW guy and skin my girlfriend :p
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

Drewbdoo wrote:Hahaha well, in that case, I'll have to get up with that SXSW guy and skin my girlfriend :p
lol, tell me this is a vr meme in the making...
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Skin your girlfriend?

Sometimes I get annoyed with my partner, so I forget to put sugar in her coffee. Removing her skin seems excessive.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@bobv5: The original quote was referring to "scanning in my girlfriend" and then "skinning her" as in skin/bone animation in 3D graphics.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

cybereality wrote:@bobv5: The original quote was referring to "scanning in my girlfriend" and then "skinning her" as in skin/bone animation in 3D graphics.

Yeah I know. My unbelievably amusing comments don't work so well when rendered in text.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

What color is Blue?

What comes out of a water fountain?

What is the name of Mount Rushmore?
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@KBK: Knock on the sky and listen to the sound.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

KBK wrote:What color is Blue?

What comes out of a water fountain?

What is the name of Mount Rushmore?
4.56x10^-7m

whatever fell in

dave
Last edited by PasticheDonkey on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

Ohhh i like this thread! I'm very new to this forum but have read enough threads to recognize that Cyber knows his stuff when it comes to VR.

Q1: You spent a lot of time making your now famed Vireo driver for the Rift. I'm sure you've had a chance to test it out using an actual Rift; when you tried it out was the experience what you expected it to be?

Q2: How well do you think pre-existing games will port over to the Rift using home made drivers such as your Vireo?

Q3: What has been your most exciting experience to date using the Rift?

Q4: Would you describe the type of game you look forward to playing most on the Rift in the future? (aka your fantasy AAA virtual reality game)

Thanks! I look forward to your responses
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

OMG, what silly questions. But the real question is "Am I up to the challenge?" :D
KBK wrote:What color is Blue?
Scientifically, blue is wavelength 450–495 nm, frequency 670–610 THz:

Metaphysically, blue is the coolest color:
http://crystal-cure.com/blue.html wrote:.. the color of the sky, ocean, sleep, twilight. ... A pure blue is the color of inspiration, sincerity and spirituality. Blue is often the chosen color by conservative people.
Emotionally, blue is sad and lonely:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tvXXWZkuaQ[/youtube]
KBK wrote:What comes out of a water fountain?
Bacteria?
http://www.divinecaroline.com/self/wellness/fountain-filth-what-germs-lurk-water-fountains wrote:... NSF scientists found that the most bacteria-laden area wasn’t the bathroom, but the water fountain. They discovered 2.7 million bacterial cells per square inch, which was thousands more than any other area they tested. The toilet came in at number eight on the list. ... How is it possible that drinking fountains and water coolers are even dirtier than public bathrooms? Think about this: restrooms open to the public must be sanitized at least twice a day. The water inside toilets is regularly being flushed and renewed. When was the last time you saw a fountain or cooler get cleaned?
KBK wrote:What is the name of Mount Rushmore?
Mount Rushmore was originally known to the Lakota Sioux as Six Grandfathers.
http://www.nativeamericannetroots.net/diary/1212/mount-rushmore wrote:The theft of the Black Hills from the Sioux has been widely reported by both historians and the popular media. The theft, however, involved more than just taking the land: it also involved renaming it. All of the geographic features within the Black Hills had Indian names in 1877, but over the next couple of decades these names were replaced by non-Indian names.
Did I win? :lol:
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@drgroove101:

1) Yeah, I tried the Vireio driver on the Rift. It does work on a basic level, but any small glitch looks worse on the Rift. For example, L4D has clipping issues with the flashlight, strange depth of player names, etc. Also, the warping could have been better, though it worked pretty good considering I coded it without a Rift to test.

2) To be honest, I don't think injection drivers can ever provide the same experience you get with a native game. The great experiences are going to be the ones where developers make a game from scratch to work on the Rift. I guess developers themselves could convert games into VR, but that may be more difficult.

3) My most exciting experience with the Rift is not something I can discuss, but I think you guys will be excited if (or when) it releases.

4) I am looking forward to being able to build my own VR experience using the Rift. I have an idea, I don't really want to share the details yet, but I think its going to be an amazing demo. It will involve a lot of physics, I will probably need to get 3 GTX 680s (2 for SLI and one dedicated to PhysX). I also will need working data-gloves, and that is something I am researching now. I think it can really push the types of interactions possible with VR. I can say that it is non-violent, no guns or anything like that. So it has the potential to reach a wider audience.
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

Drewbdoo wrote:Cyber, what's the key to winning all the ladies?

DAMNIT! you took my question!
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

1: Have you tried used your drive and skyrim with the dev kit yet?

2: Will you be making updates to the driver when people begin receiving rifts?
Last edited by squibbfire on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@squibbfire:

1) I haven't tried Skyrim yet, but I assume it still works OK.

2) I'm not going to be updating the driver any further, but the source is out there for anyone to pick up.
vtms
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vtms »

cybereality wrote: @Drewbdoo: Well I'm not much of a ladies-man, but I imagine you could have all the ladies you desire in VR.
And here it is: the true Holy Grail of VR. :)
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

cybereality wrote: 3) My most exciting experience with the Rift is not something I can discuss, but I think you guys will be excited if (or when) it releases.
:woot
Kirito

Re: questions for cyberreality

Post by Kirito »

Diorama wrote:
cybereality wrote: 3) My most exciting experience with the Rift is not something I can discuss, but I think you guys will be excited if (or when) it releases.
:woot
:woot :woot
Arni1984
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Arni1984 »

Intrigued ... :shock:
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

Hey how are ya?
Oneironaut
Cross Eyed!

Post by Oneironaut »

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say it's probably something to do with positional tracking.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

cybereality wrote:My most exciting experience with the Rift is not something I can discuss, but I think you guys will be excited if (or when) it releases.
Does this mean your best experience with the rift won´t be possible on our development kits and it is going to be only possible on the consumer version? :woot

mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Are the goggles water proof?
And on a serious note is flying in the rift the most awesome feeling? If u have tried that that is
Dnhkng
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dnhkng »

Hi, Cyberreality, I have a questions!

Are you allowed to post the exact outer dimensions of the rift? Seeing that we will be able to measure it ourselves in a few weeks anyway, I don't see how it could cause any huge problems. I would like to design an IR led mounting frame that clips onto the rift, for Freetrack integration for positional tracking, and I want to print it with my 3D printer.
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

Hey Cyber! A few questions....

1: What do you see in the rift when the unit isn't playing a game? does it show the desktop?
2: What would you say is the best controller for the unit? I see a lot of X-Box videos
3: What's the biggest problem with your driver as far as the rift goes?
4: Why did daddy leave? was it my fault?
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Must concentrate....use Jedi Training....must not answer #4.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

I have a question that is related to Rift, but not closely.

You've been working on your Vireio driver(s) so I have to ask you - have you ever tried to accomplish something like this? I mean, if you can render stereo view, my guess is you can make this happen too. Can you?

I believe you already know what are the benefits of having multiple viewports in games but for those who don't - it enables you to rotate your side displays (at multi-display setup) towards yourself. If you rotate side displays in a game with one viewport, you'll see distortion on those displays since game engine "thinks" your displays are kept in a straight line.

Thank you for your time.
This member owns things.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@unsilentwill: I'm doing good actually. Just getting comfortable in my new home and new job.

@Marulu: No. I am only talking about the same dev kit everyone will be getting soon.

@mattyeatsmatts: Sorry, the headset is not water-proof. I tried some demos with a free-look flying camera and it was cool. Not as cool as actually flying, but fun.

@Dnhkng: I don't have the exact dimensions of the Rift on me. This should be something that's easy to do once you have the headset.

@Vamplifire:

1) Either black, or your desktop split in half between each eye. So basically it only looks OK with apps that are designed to use it.
2) We have been using game-pads for demos, but this is probably not the best control scheme. I'd think motion controllers would be better, like Wiimote, Move, Hydra, etc.
3) The biggest issue with my driver is just getting it to work at all. Seems to have a lot of glitches where the games won't show anything usable on the screen.
4) 8-)

@Randomoneh: I didn't get as far as supporting multiple monitors, but it's certainly possible. Would require some work, though, as a lot of my code makes the assumption you are feeding only one display. But it's C++, so just able anything is technically possible.
HarleyMills
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HarleyMills »

My most exciting experience with the Rift is not something I can discuss, but I think you guys will be excited if (or when) it releases.

@Marulu: No. I am only talking about the same dev kit everyone will be getting soon.

Is this experience software or perhaps an unannounced hardware addition? :mrgreen:
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Is augmented Reality an option for OculusVR ?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@HarleyMills: Just software, as I said on the vanilla dev kit.

@colocolo: Well we have VR in the name of the company, so that is obviously the focus.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

cybereality wrote:@Marulu: No. I am only talking about the same dev kit everyone will be getting soon.
I can´t wait to get my development kit, so I can find out what you are talking about! :)

Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

I love this thread. It's like a cyberrality AMA... that never ends!

Return to “Oculus VR”